Mafia [MAFIA] Lovers Mafia [GAME OVER, MAFIA VICTORY]

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Makaze, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Lovers Mafia

This will be a 13-player game with an open setup. Days are 72 hours long. Nights do not exist in this game.

SOME RULES ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE LAST GAMES. PLEASE READ ALL OF THE RULES, ROLES, AND GUIDELINES BEFORE CONFIRMING YOUR INTENT TO PLAY. Let's have a good, clean game.

Credit goes to Nova for the bulk of these rules.

Basics
    A basic game consists of two factions, Town and Mafia, each trying to wipe out the other. The Town outnumber the Mafia significantly (usually 3-1 or 4-1), but they don't know who's who; only the Mafia know who their teammates are. The game is over when one or the other side is wiped out. For the Town, this means eliminating every last Mafiosi; for the Mafia, it just means the Town is equal in number to them, at which point they automatically overrun the survivors.

By Day, all the players from both sides bicker and argue and point fingers for a set time; the Town tries to find Mafia in its ranks, and the Mafia tries to misdirect them and stay hidden. At the end of the Day, the group votes to lynch someone they find suspicious; the player dies, their alignment is revealed, and another Day begins.

Night is not available in this game.

The Lynch
    You may vote for a player by saying ##Vote: [Player name]. (Those ##s are important! It helps me find your vote.) You may also retract your vote using ##Unvote (No player name needed for that one). Remember to bold these commands, or they won't count!

As the lynch votes pile on, a lynchee will eventually reach a hard lynch. Hard lynch (1/2 the number of living players + 1, rounded down), also known as majority, is the final nail in the coffin: The Day will end immediately, and the unlucky lynchee will be axed on the spot.

You can vote and unvote all you like before someone hits hard lynch, but the second the deciding vote (also known as hammer) is cast, all votes are locked in.

This is a must lynch game. If a hard lynch is not reached, then the player with the most votes will be lynched at the scheduled end of phase.

If a Day ends and two or more players are tied for votes, then the lynchee will be chosen randomly from the tied players. If no player has any votes, then the lynch will be made randomly from all of the living players. In other words, someone will die no matter what you do, so make sure you know who it is.

Roles and Powers
    Every player is given the role of a character within the game. Some roles come with powers that will impact the game's progress. These powers can be passive, such as protecting you from an attempt on your life, or active, such as the ability to investigate a player's alignment each Night. Power roles affect you even if you don't have one, so make sure you know which ones are which and how they work before you sign up!

Other Notes
    Conditions may change as the game goes on. For one, when the number required to soft lynch is equal to the number of remaining Mafiosi, the soft lynch is done away with. Also, the Town will be notified at Day start if lynching Town that Day will cause them to lose (Mislynch and Lose, or MyLo) or if they must lynch Mafia in order to avoid losing (Lynch or Lose, or LyLo). The difference between these is that No Lynch is a safe move at MyLo (not applicable in this game); at LyLo the Town must either lynch Mafiosi or admit defeat.

And that's about all there is to it. I know it's a lot to take in, but it'll become much clearer when the game actually starts. In the meantime, feel free to ask me any questions you have, either in-thread or via PM.

Tools of the trade (YOU WANT THESE):
    And the rest of you should know by now that these are mandatory reads. (IT'S NOT A ToS DON'T JUST SKIM IT, THINGS CHANGE AND THOSE CHANGES IMPACT YOU)
    1. Keep it civil. Our primary goal here is to enjoy ourselves; if the game is stressing you out, I'd rather you ask to replace out than grin and bear it. By the same token, don't go out of your way to stress someone else.
    2. Don't throw the game. Mafia is most enjoyable when everyone plays their best. Frustrated or no, don't just give up and shoot yourself (or your team) in the foot.
    3. Don't talk about Fight Club. THERE WILL BE NO MORE SLAPS ON THE WRIST OVER THIS. BOTH OF THE PREVIOUS GAMES WERE POTENTIALLY SABOTAGED BY PEOPLE TALKING OUTSIDE THE THREAD/QTS. IF YOU'RE CAUGHT, YOU'RE OUT.
    4. No name changes once the game starts. This was requested by a number of players; it just makes things easier on people trying to keep track of others' activity and post history. If you have a name change pending, either get it done before you sign up or hold it off until the end (Probably the first, since games can last half a month or more).
    5. When casting a vote, preface it with double pounds (##). This is new, and it's meant to help me with votals. Examples: ##Vote: Makaze, ##Unvote
    6. No post editing. Not even typo fixes. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's important to keep players honest and make them own what they say, and this tends to work better than the honor system.
    7. Observe calls for silence. When somebody hits hard lynch, you shush. When it's nighttime, you shush. If I need to pause the game for any reason, I will tell you to shush; you better do it. (Side note: When you die, you get one closing post where you may not say anything about the game or reveal relevant information—So "Good luck Town" or "WHO THREW THAT" would be ok, but "I think this guy is my murderer" or "I'm the Cop and here are my results" would not—After that, it's time to move on and be dead.)
    8. Minimum 5 posts per game Day. And no, I won't count posts where you basically say nothing (by virtue of word count or actual content). This is not a game where you can just pop in and vote somebody on the weekend, it requires focus and attention. On that note...
    9. Pay attention to the thread and your Quicktopics. I'm not going to warn you if you're about to miss posting in a day or sending in a Night action. It's your job to stay on top of these things. Some people have had troubles with their thread notifications, so don't rely on those either! Put the thread on your toolbar if you have to!
    10. Do not copy-paste from confidential sources. This includes PMs and Quicktopics. Not only is this a terrible way to figure out who's what, it's also an unsavory form of metagaming that somewhat takes the fun and strategy out of the game. If you really must reveal info, put it in your own words.
    11. Do not role play. Mafia is much less a story than a game; the flavor is just that, a little extra something for taste. Not to say you can't play up a quirk I've given you (within reason), just make sure you're in your own mind when you make statements or cast votes.
    12. The mod's word is final. I reserve the right to change rules or roles as needed (though of course you will be notified) to preserve the enjoyment value of the game. Contest it if you want, but I can't pretend this isn't a dictatorship; in the end I will make the choice I feel is right, and that's that.
    Barring special cases your first offense will prompt a friendly warning, the second a somewhat sterner one, and on the third I will begin searching for your replacement. Please don't let it come to that.
    This game will feature the following roles:
    • x8 Town Lover - A Town-aligned role that is bound by Love to another player. A Lover is a player who is linked to you and whom you can have private, out-of-thread discussions with, but whose alignment you do not know. They could be Mafia or they could be Town. What you do know is that if you or your Lover is lynched, then both of you will die, Romeo & Juliet style. Only people directly Lovered to the lynch target will die with them.
    • x5 Mafia Lover - A Mafia-aligned role that is bound by Love to another player. A Lover is a player who is linked to you and whom you can have private, out-of-thread discussions with. If you or your Lover is lynched, then both of you will die, Romeo & Juliet style. Only people directly Lovered to the lynch target will die with them.

Player List
    1. @al215 - Mafia Lover, Died D2
    2. @Ars Nova - Mafia Lovers, Survivor
    3. @Calxiyn - Town Lover, Overrun D3
    4. @tribbles (cstar) - Town Lover, Died D2
    5. @Jiku Neon - Town Lover, Died D1
    6. @Judge Sunrose - Town Lover, Died D3
    7. @Karuta - Mafia Lovers, Survivor
    8. @Korosu - Town Lover, Overrun D3
    9. @Marushi - Town Lover, Lynched D2
    10. @Midnight Star - Town Lover, Lynched D3
    11. @Mish - Mafia Lovers, Survivor
    12. @Saxima - Town Lover, Modkilled D2
    13. @Splodge - Mafia Lover, Lynched D1

Survivors:

@Ars Nova
    @Karuta
    @Mish

Mafia Chat: http://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/vAaPysdGg3Ewm
    Graveyard Chat: https://discord.gg/mhThymY

Lover Chats
    Judge Sunrose & Midnight Star
    Ars Nova & Korosu
    Judge Sunrose & Saxima
    Korosu & Saxima
    cstar & Marushi
    Calxiyn & Karuta
    al215 & Marushi
    al215 & Midnight Star
    Ars Nova & Karuta
    Jiku Neon & Mish
    Jiku Neon & Splodge

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

3. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Alrighty, this is gonna be really interesting with the new setup. XD

4. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Woohoo! Let's do this guys!

It's gonna be really fun no matter who wins so I'm excited.

5. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

SInce this is Must Lynch, should we start throwing around random votes to get reactions?

6. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Probably...

##Vote: Karuta

7. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

##Vote: Marushi

8. Karuta Reborn

Hey >:| ##Vote: Marushi[DOUBLEPOST=1469730478][/DOUBLEPOST]Oops, ##Vote: Marushi

9. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol, I'm popular. XD

10. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

Everyone, remember to put votes and unvotes in bold. And no editing posts!

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Mod note:

I'd like to point everyone back to the Opening Post for some incredibly useful resources you will need to beat this game.

Look at the Tools of the trade section just under How to play.

12. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

I just selected randomly, I'm not out to get you :(

13. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol, don't worry, this is the Random Voting Stage, so I figured that. XD

14. cstar stay away from my waifu

Wow this got started fast (in terms of the votes), how 'bout that. Also so there's no confusion I'm gonna confirm that I'm cstar right off the bat (I know it was in brackets next to the name but I figured a post specifically on that would help.

Anyway... hm... ##Vote:Ars Nova.. heh, I've never been able to write that before in one of these games.

15. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

♥ DAY 1 VOTE COUNT 1 ♥

Marushi (2) - Splodge, Karuta
    Karuta (1) - Marushi
    Ars Nova (1) - tribbles

Not voting (9) - al215, Ars Nova, Calxiyn, Jiku Neon, Judge Sunrose, Korosu, Midnight Star, Mish, Saxima

With 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to hammer.

Day 1 ends at 12 PM EST/EDT on July 31st. There are approximately 2 days and 21 hours remaining.

16. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

That was never an issue for me. B)

##Vote: Jiku Neon
    #yolo

17. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Mod note:

I didn't state this in the OP, but the Mafia have their own Day Chat a well as their Lover chats. They can talk as a team at any time in the game.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  18. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol, there are probably going to be far less posts in this game than usual, since everyone's going to be taking use of their ability to talk to others outside the thread. However, that just means it's going to be even more frustrating to sit here and click refresh. XD

19. Splodge Twilight Town Denizen

I actually think this early on we're all more likely to talk more in thread than with our lover, since we're gonna have much less to say to 1 person than 12.

20. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Splodge may have just admitted he only has 1 lover instead of the possible two lovers.

Which means if we decide to lynch Splodge today, only one person will end up dying along side him. Something to think about.