Mafia [Mafia] The Book of Names ~ GAME OVER (MAFIA WINS)

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Ars Nova, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Tʜᴇ Bᴏᴏᴋ ᴏғ Nᴀᴍᴇs

You've no doubt heard the old adage, small towns house great secrets. Perhaps you brushed it off, just a passing fancy of gossips... Not altogether unreasonable. Or perhaps you live in a small town yourself, and know—or hope—it to be untrue. Everyone has their secrets, to be sure, but certainly nothing so sinister.

Right?

Anyone in the quiet church town of Lovett would've said so. With a population of less than 30, there was no getting away from your neighbors there; everyone eventually got to know everyone else. Or so they thought, until one young man invited a host of townsfolk to a small social gathering at his house, not a fortnight after his fiancée's funeral.

The invitation was accepted gladly. Attendees were happy to see him looking so lively after such a tragic event, and eager to help him re-learn the joy of company. What they couldn't have known was that he spared no tears for his lost love, nor could they have guessed that he intended for many more to join her soon.

The sun now sets on this gathering. Food and drink have been expended, merriment has come and gone, and the guests prepare to take their leave... but it seems the door is locked. From the inside? Strange... Perhaps the evening's host could unlock it, but a cursory glance about the sitting room reveals he's gone missing.

A spacious home for newlyweds yields a lengthy search, but even as night falls the young man is still nowhere to be found. The guests begin to worry, and some swear they hear haunting sounds coming from farther inside... A second attempt at escape is made, to the discovery that the entire house is sealed by some inhuman force.

Just then, a foul wind rushes through the halls. Instead of blowing out candles, it changes their light to a deep, luminescent blue. And a voice, from nowhere and everywhere at once, echoes out in the guests' minds.

Lᴏᴏᴋ. Oᴜᴛsɪᴅᴇ.

A moment's confusion gives way to a startling realization: Tonight is a blue moon, a favored time for spellcraft and devilry. What would possess their young friend to invite them all and leave them entrapped on such a night? Could it be that he has dabbled in the occult?

Wʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴘᴏssᴇss ᴍᴇ, comes the voice again, seemingly snatching the words out of their minds. Iɴᴅᴇᴇᴅ. Iɴᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛᴀʟʟʏ, ʙᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅғᴜʟ: Sᴏᴍᴇ ᴀᴍᴏɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ᴡʜᴏ ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴇᴇᴍ...

The disembodied words are punctuated by a chilling scream. A pack of guests, now trembling, moves towards the source. Several rooms over they find what must be the culprit: a lifeless body, face frozen in horror, his neck an unnatural, velvety-black pigment. The priest kneels over him, and after a moment's pause confirms a suspicion none wish confirmed: The man's life was taken by a demon.

As if waiting for this cue, an awful scratching sound ekes out as a message is carved into the opposite wall...

NO ESCAPE

...and again comes the voice: Yᴇs, ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴏʀʀʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴇssᴀɢᴇ ʜᴏʟᴅs ᴛʀᴜᴇ. Dᴇᴍᴏɴs ᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴍᴏɴɢ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴍʏ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅs, ᴡᴇᴀʀɪɴɢ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴠᴇʀʏ ғʟᴇsʜ. Tʜᴇʏ sʜᴀʟʟ ᴄʟᴀɪᴍ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪᴠᴇs ᴀs ᴛʀɪʙᴜᴛᴇ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ I ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ᴇᴀʀɴ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ғᴀᴠᴏʀ—ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴍᴀɴ.

Sᴛʀᴜɢɢʟᴇ ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴅᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. Pɪɢs ᴄᴀɴɴᴏᴛ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴏᴠᴇʀᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ʙᴜᴛᴄʜᴇʀs...

That's right folks, it's time for another Mafia—rather, two more! Yes, these are the more newbie-friendly games previously promised; I decided to run two smaller ones instead of one big one, in hopes that the groups will be more focused. This game will be fairly by-the-numbers, with less role madness than its twin over yonder; so if you're still learning and want a straight-laced game to practice your skills, this is the place to be.

Most of you know the drill by now, but if anyone has not played a game before, just make sure you read the spoiler below.
    Basics
    A basic game consists of two factions, Town and Mafia, each trying to wipe out the other. The Town outnumber the Mafia significantly (usually 3-1 or 4-1), but they don't know who's who; only the Mafia know who their teammates are. The game is over when one or the other side is wiped out. For the Town, this means eliminating every last Mafiosi; for the Mafia, it just means the Town is equal in number to them, at which point they automatically overrun the survivors.

The game progresses in two phases: Day and Night. By Day, all the players from both sides bicker and argue and point fingers for a set time; the Town tries to find Mafia in its ranks, and the Mafia tries to misdirect them and stay hidden. At the end of the Day, the group votes to lynch someone they find suspicious; the player dies, their alignment is revealed, and the Night begins.

Nighttime is the Mafia's chance to strike. The Town must stay quiet while their enemies convene in secret, talk strategy and discuss potential threats to the group. They vote on a Townie to kill, the Night phase ends, and as the sun rises the victim's fate/alignment is revealed and the madness begins again. (Certain roles of either faction may have abilities they can use during the Night phase, to benefit their side and/or hinder the other.)

The Lynch
    You may vote for a player by saying ##Vote: [Player name]. (Those ##s are important! It helps me find your vote.) You may also retract your vote using ##Unvote (No player name needed for that one). Remember to bold these commands, or they won't count! (You can also color your votes to help me find them, just don't use anything obnoxious.) In addition it is also possible, though not recommended, to ##Vote: No Lynch, which if it wins will cause the Day to end without a death. Ideally this is used only in special cases; most of the time, lynches are a good thing!

As the lynch votes pile on, a lynchee will eventually reach one of two states: soft lynch, then hard lynch. Soft lynch (1/4 the # of living players +1/rounded up) is just a warning: Nothing will happen that instant, but if the lynchee keeps this status until the end of the Day they will be lynched. Hard lynch (1/2 the # of living players +1/rounded up) is the final nail in the coffin: The Day will end immediately, and the unlucky lynchee will be axed on the spot.

You can vote and unvote all you like before someone hits hard lynch, but the second the deciding vote (also known as hammer) is cast, all votes are locked in. If a Day ends and two players are tied for votes, the one voted for most recently will face the gallows. Also, if no one has enough votes for a soft lynch, then no lynch will occur that day—so when time starts running out, best to reach a consensus quickly!

Roles and Powers
    Every player is given the role of a character within the game. Usually, this is just narrative fluff designed to make the game a more compelling read, in which case you needn't pay much attention to it. But some roles also come with powers that will impact the game's progress. These powers can be passive, such as protecting you from an attempt on your life, or active, such as the ability to investigate a player's alignment each Night. Power roles affect you even if you don't have one, so make sure you know which ones are which and how they work before you sign up!

Other Notes
    Conditions may change as the game goes on. For one, when the number required to soft lynch is equal to the number of remaining Mafiosi, the soft lynch is done away with. Also, the Town will be notified at Day start if lynching Town that Day will cause them to lose (Mislynch and Lose, or MyLo) or if they must lynch Mafia in order to avoid losing (Lynch or Lose, or LyLo). The difference between these is that No Lynch is a safe move at MyLo; at LyLo the Town must either lynch Mafiosi or admit defeat.

And that's about all there is to it. I know it's a lot to take in, but it'll become much clearer when the game actually starts. In the meantime, feel free to ask me any questions you have, either in-thread or via PM.

And the rest of you should know by now that these are mandatory reads. (IT'S NOT A ToS DON'T JUST SKIM IT, THINGS CHANGE AND THOSE CHANGES IMPACT YOU)
    1. Keep it civil. Our primary goal here is to enjoy ourselves; if the game is stressing you out, I'd rather you ask to replace out than grin and bear it. By the same token, don't go out of your way to stress someone else.
    2. Don't throw the game. Mafia is most enjoyable when everyone plays their best. Frustrated or no, don't just give up and shoot yourself (or your team) in the foot.
    3. Don't talk about Fight Club. THERE WILL BE NO MORE SLAPS ON THE WRIST OVER THIS. BOTH OF THE PREVIOUS GAMES WERE POTENTIALLY SABOTAGED BY PEOPLE TALKING OUTSIDE THE THREAD/QTS. IF YOU'RE CAUGHT, YOU'RE OUT.
    4. No name changes once the game starts. This was requested by a number of players; it just makes things easier on people trying to keep track of others' activity and post history. If you have a name change pending, either get it done before you sign up or hold it off until the end (Probably the first, since games can last half a month or more).
    5. When casting a vote, preface it with double pounds (##). This is new, and it's meant to help me with votals. Examples: ##Vote: Makaze, ##Unvote
    6. No post editing. Not even typo fixes. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's important to keep players honest and make them own what they say, and this tends to work better than the honor system.
    7. Observe calls for silence. When somebody hits hard lynch, you shush. When it's nighttime, you shush. If I need to pause the game for any reason, I will tell you to shush; you better do it. (Side note: When you die, you get one closing post where you may not say anything about the game or reveal relevant information—So "Good luck Town" or "WHO THREW THAT" would be ok, but "I think this guy is my murderer" or "I'm the Cop and here are my results" would not—After that, it's time to move on and be dead.)
    8. Minimum 5 posts per game Day. And no, I won't count posts where you basically say nothing (by virtue of word count or actual content). This is not a game where you can just pop in and vote somebody on the weekend, it requires focus and attention. On that note...
    9. Pay attention to the thread and your Quicktopics. I'm not going to warn you if you're about to miss posting in a day or sending in a Night action. It's your job to stay on top of these things. Some people have had troubles with their thread notifications, so don't rely on those either! Put the thread on your toolbar if you have to!
    10. Do not copy-paste from confidential sources. This includes PMs and Quicktopics. Not only is this a terrible way to figure out who's what, it's also an unsavory form of metagaming that somewhat takes the fun and strategy out of the game. If you really must reveal info, put it in your own words.
    11. Do not role play. Mafia is much less a story than a game; the flavor is just that, a little extra something for taste. Not to say you can't play up a quirk I've given you (within reason), just make sure you're in your own mind when you make statements or cast votes.
    12. The mod's word is final. I reserve the right to change rules or roles as needed (though of course you will be notified) to preserve the enjoyment value of the game. Contest it if you want, but I can't pretend this isn't a dictatorship; in the end I will make the choice I feel is right, and that's that.
    Barring special cases your first offense will prompt a friendly warning, the second a somewhat sterner one, and on the third I will begin searching for your replacement. Please don't let it come to that.
    This game will feature the following roles:
    • Cop - This is a Town-aligned role that can investigate one living player each Night to learn of their alignment.
    • Godfather - This is a Mafia-aligned role that, if investigated, will appear to be Town-aligned.
    • Bulletproof Vest - This is a role modifier that allows the bearer to survive one attack during the Night, at which point it expires. This cannot protect against the lynch vote.

The game has drawn to a close with the Mafia's victory. Well played one and all, and I hope to see you next time!

Player List
    1. Calxiyn - Duchess Vepar, won Night 4
    2. Zelda - Ernest Smith, lynched Day 4
    3. Mish - Jerolyn Knight, murdered Night 3
    4. Midnight Star - Lydia Flowers, murdered Night 4
    5. Cat~ - Father Trebón, murdered Night 2
    6. al215 - Samuel King, overrun Night 4
    7. KeyToTruth12 - Abigail Summers, lynched Day 2
    8. Judge Sunrose - Marshall Travers, murdered Night 1
    9. Spike Luna (hyuge) - Lawrence Callaghan, overrun Night 4
    10. Trigger - Marquis Andras, won Night 4
    11. Moksha - Franklin Zaffo, lynched Day 1
    12. Risky Biznu (tummer) - Hobbe Watkins, lynched Day 3 (Won posthumously)
    Mods

D1 N1 D2 N2 D3 N3 D4 N4 Game Over

Zelda
    You are Ernest Smith, a name which truly says it all. People expect you to be brave in a crisis, but truth be told you're deathly afraid of spirits.

You are aligned with the Town, thus win when all Mafiosi are eliminated (and at least one Townie remains). You have no special abilities.

Mish
    You are Jerolyn Knight, a fierce young woman whose only fear is fear itself. Your brusqueness is often frowned upon, but all of a sudden you've become an idol of courage and stoicism.

You are aligned with the Town, thus win when all Mafiosi are eliminated (and at least one Townie remains). You have no special abilities.

Midnight Star
    You are Lydia Flowers, assistant to the local innkeeper. You've been tending to everyone as best you can, mostly as a matter of habit to keep you from dying of fright.

KeyToTruth12
    You are Abigail Summers, a graceful dancer and one of the town's few treasures. Of course none of that prepares you for this nightmare, much less puts you in better spirits...

Judge Sunrose
    You are Marshall Travers, a merchant who frequently passes through town. Though not a permanent resident the town treats you like family, and you'd hate to see an ill fate befall its residents.

Spike Luna (hyuge)
    You are Lawrence Callaghan, an expert carpenter and craftsman. You had hoped you'd be able to get the group out of here, but the doors are barricaded by a force beyond your understanding...

Moksha
    You are Franklin Zaffo, a retired adventurer. You are quick to assure inquiring minds that the simple life is far more fulfilling, but now you sort of wish you were back on the road...

al215
    You are Samuel King, a traveler and former priest. Just your luck to end up stuck here... At least you can put up a fight if you're ambushed.

You are aligned with the Town, thus win when all Mafiosi are eliminated (and at least one Townie remains). In addition, you have a Bulletproof Vest—The first attempt on your life made at Night will fail, consuming the vest. (Due to flavor, you may not pass it to anyone else.)

Cat~
    You are Father Trebón, the town's head minister. Your presence here is fortuitous, as you may be able to divine the identities of the possessed.

You are aligned with the Town, thus win when all Mafiosi are eliminated (and at least one Townie remains). In addition, you are the Cop—Once per Night, you may investigate a player of your choice to learn their alignment.

Calxiyn
    You are Elaine Grace—now possessed by Duchess Vepar, the festering ill. Despite your otherworldly allure, your touch is said to putrefy wounds and call maggots to flesh.

You are aligned with the Mafia, thus win when your numbers equal the Town's (or nothing can prevent this from happening). You have no special abilities.

Trigger
    You are Jasper Dutch—now possessed by Marquis Andras, the vicious hellion. Known to bring instant death to those who stray from light, you intend to make good on your reputation this sennight.

You are aligned with the Mafia, thus win when your numbers equal the Town's (or nothing can prevent this from happening). You have no special abilities.

Risky Biznu (tummer)
    You are Hobbe Watkins, a closet occultist and amateur conjurer. Last night marks your first successful summoning, and after the offerings you gathered here are consumed, you expect ample blessings.

You are aligned with the Mafia, thus win when your numbers equal the Town's (or nothing can prevent this from happening). In addition, you are the Godfather—If the Cop investigates you, you will appear to them as Town.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

Totally signing up! I'm so glad you're running another one Nova!

3. Zelda NORT-h american eclipse

Let's do this

4. Mish smiley day!

Signing up~

Just a note, though - I'm going on a trip on the 31st and won't be back here until the 3rd or 4th.

5. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

My life is getting busier with every passing day, so I can't commit to both games, but I can volunteer as a replacement! Though due to my aforementioned busyness, (Busyness? business? Lord Business? Busy...) due to my being busy as stated earlier, I'd like to be last in the replacement lineup if that's okay.

6. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I'm in on this one~

7. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I'll hop on this bandwagon. Let's go~

8. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

Present!

9. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    I'll be on the same trip as Mish, again, put me in for a replacement slot.

10. al215 Kingdom Keeper

I guess I'll join this one too since it's here XD

11. KeyToTruth12 Moogle Assistant

12. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Only three days left for sign ups! Mafia is a social experiment game of trust, lies and betrayal. You can never tell what is going to happen. Who can you trust? Who will kill you in your sleep? Find out in this classic All Hallows Eve game.

This game is a classic set up that makes for a great introduction to Mafia and is always fun regardless of level of experience.

Please, join us! We would love to have you.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  13. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

##Vote: Nova

Oh wait.

14. Spike H E R O

You can put my name up for this one too.

15. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I don't know why I bother setting signup deadlines :v

EXTENDED BY A WEEK. IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH RECRUITMENT, Y'KNOW. THAT'D BE PRETTY COOL.

16. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Arright, so I'm gonna give it another week or two just 'cause we're so frickin' close and I refuse to leave this game in limbo. If anyone's availability changes due to the delay (I believe @kitty_mckechnie said she could play after the 18th which looks feasible now), please let me know. And as always, anyone you can recruit is welcome. JUST TWO MORE. WE CAN DO THIS.

17. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

So I messaged a couple people, just in case they might be interested. Good luck, I hope you get enough players, even if my feeble attempts at recruitment don't pan out. XD

18. Trigger hewwo uwu

i would like to sign up for this c:

19. CrownMoksha Decimo

Eh, why not. I'll try to pay attention/be active more

20. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

WE DID IT

[​IMG]

GAMESTART TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR THIS SATURDAY DEPENDS ON WHEN I GET ROLES DONE