Your religious belief?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Crypt, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

You're completely right. No proof, but doesn't matter, because every source of existance made our world, real or not.

2. Daydreamer

I have no religious beliefs, but that doesn't mean I don't have beliefs without proof. If everyone only relied on evidence we would all be solipsists.

Even though I think solipsism entirely possible, I do not believe in it (or at least: don't think about it), even against all evidence. I want to believe that this universe, full of individuals, capable of such beauty, is not just being played out for my amusement. I want to believe that the person next to me has thoughts, feelings and beliefs as well. It would be unbearable if I was alone.

Something I do believe, based on evidence, is determinism. Despite believing that life is most likely ultimately meaningless, determinism gives me comfort with the thought that everyone, everything, even tiny grains of sand, are significant and precious in some way.

Sorry if I seem to be quoting the movie "Contact" at times, just bought a copy of it on Blu-ray and it recently has become one of my favorite movies of all time.

3. Arch Mana Knight

As a scientist double majoring in both physics and mathematics(and getting close to graduate school), I know fully well that this is impossible. By its very definition science cannot ever prove or disprove the metaphysical. I understand what you've been saying in your other posts but just realize that science will never have all the answers. Anyone who says everything can be proved with it is just plain lying. That being said, I believe in both God and science and I respect your views. I just wanted to say something, that is all.

The first time I read this sentence I thought you were calling Christians pricks and idiots. Then I actually read your post. Good thing I did. D:

As I stated earlier, I believe in both God and science. I'm a Roman Catholic but I don't believe the Bible should be taken literally. It's filled with mistranslations and isn't even complete(many entries have been taken out of it). The way I see things, God is the reason why there was the Big Bang and everything else is just governed by physics. That's the full extent of my belief without complicating the description with an infinite number of universes.

4. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

Right, science CAN'T prove everything. But as of now, it's all I can have faith in, because it goes against all religion and is inforced in high school.

5. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You are missing the whole concept of faith then. Faith isn't when you are 100% sure about something and only do it when its "safe". In fact it is the exact opposite.

6. Tears_into_Roses Merlin's Housekeeper

I completely agree with Rhiscx. Even though there's no exact proof I still believe we will go somewhere better after life. I have been raised in a Baptist church as well. But me taking a step further to understand about God/Jesus these past few years have really changed my beliefs in Christ and now I'm proud to say that I'm a Christian. But it isn't easy to believe something you can't see nor touch, I know. But that's the reason why we put faith in these things.

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

really, if science can't explain it, what else is there? Just the impossible I'd say. I mean, I don't want to say something like "all scientists are wrong just because it's not explainable", but for me, if nothing in science can explain it, I think I should just believe that there's something else pulling it along. Or something like that. I did say I'm not good at this kind of stuff. Or at least, not typing it down. I do better when I'm actually talking about it

8. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

If science can't prove it, then maybe it is the works of God. Or maybe it's the work of the impossible. I don't know, did that even make any sense? xD

9. HeartofFire Traverse Town Homebody

Not really, I don't think. Nothing is impossible for God. Therefore making the 'work of the impossible' a moot point.

10. Tears_into_Roses Merlin's Housekeeper

Yes exactly. lol AMEN!

11. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Lolz I never claimed to be good at wording things. My best friend is a Roman Catholic so I know a good deal about the Catholic church(no offense, but we both despise it for the most part. Mostly cause her church is insane..). We actually agree on just about everything important, so we'd both mostly agree with what you just said. I think the bible has many issues that confuse me all the time, but my family is all THIS IS THE WORD SON. I'm open to any theory about how God made the planet and how we got to where we are(if you go with the big bang, someone/something had to put the stuff to commence the banging with there).

On said note I do believe in Jesus, and I know some Catholics can be iffy on that(I know the Jews don't, but I forget with Catholicism sometimes), so I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on him?

12. Arch Mana Knight

The Catholic Church has done some stupid things before but not normally as a whole. Usually it's just a single church here or there doing something stupid like threatening to excommunicate someone over something idiotic. Both the current Pope and the one before him(John Paul II) have been excellent leaders of the Church. I'm going to kick the ass of anyone who says otherwise. They've been very friendly towards scientists.

Anyways, with Jesus things get complicated because it's harder to buy into the whole "God has a son" thing. Especially when his mother was a virgin. It's just one of those things that would be easier to touch with science than the concept of God. The existence and nonexistence of a higher being is a subject that science can't touch. Jesus, being human, is something that science can get to. Still, with Jesus having lived 2000 years ago...you can't really go around grave digging for his body.

*Cough* Anyways, before I complicate things with further rambling. God is something quite easy to believe in. Saying God is responsible for existence isn't hard. Saying God has a son, not the same thing. I personally believe it's true, being a Catholic, but...I dunno. I guess you could say that my faith in God is absolute but in Jesus...just a bit less.

13. Misty gimme kiss

Some people just don't find blind faith as easy as others. It's central to religion, and tends to separate the religious from the not. It's more a matter of personality than of not understanding the concept of faith. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, of course, but it's just not for some.

14. Crypt Traverse Town Homebody

Maybe if I started going to church more, learning more about the theory of Christianity, I would understand and change my ways, learning the true meaning of faith.

15. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh I meant no ill will toward the Pope, in fact I think the current one gets way to much flack from people(for whatever reason I've always liked the Pope..although that might just be the hat or something). I was referring to her current church that she barely attends, but is apart of. That one is messed up on many levels and gives a bad rep to other Catholic churches(do not ask me why their family still goes there, don't know).

See any time I try to think of God as God and Jesus at the same time, complete mind collapses.. that I just attribute to being faithful and not understanding everything because we are humans. Going back to the bible I've noticed instances where it actually looks like Jesus committed a slight sin, like talking back to his "parents", trollin the synagogue, something else I can't recall, etc. Further reasons to have a few issues with the bible. I do believe he lived because he's our connection to God, we pray for forgiveness, Jesus is all like "Sup Dad, that guy has asked for forgiveness, make it so." something not at all like how I just put it. He's the reason we aren't still burning cattle in the back 40 and can go to Heaven without said mass livestock burnings.

Anyways I pretty much share your stance on him(I just have to sound like a 10 year old when I say it..).

16. NemesisPrime Hollow Bastion Committee

My two cents but personally I've made a point to just live life for yourself and well, be a good person.

It's not about how many times you attend church or how many hail marys you do it's more of a just being a good person.

I don't need a book to tell me to do right.

17. Cloudrunner62 Twilight Town Denizen

My dad is Catholic, my mom is Episcopal. I'm....just a Christian. I cannot look at a rose and think, "This is a beautiful piece of random existence." The sheer beauty of the world just cannot be chance. That's how I back up my belief in god. My belief in Jesus is in part due to my upbringing and in part due to the fact that I like the teachings he gave.

18. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I'm a Muslim, and proud of it! I know what I'm going to say may sound lame and cheesy, but I feel that God is with me all the time, always lifting my spirits in tough times.

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WROTE AN AMAZING REALLY LONG POST EXPLAINING EXACTLY WHY I BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE AND ALL THE PROOF THAT I'VE FOUND SUPPORTING MY FAITH AND I PROVIDED PICTURES OF JERICHO AND NOAH'S ARK AND CHARIOTS IN THE RED SEA AND LINKS PROVING THAT THE NEW TESTAMENT IS NOT MISTRANSLATED AND QUOTES FROM REPUTABLE SECULAR DOCTORS DENYING THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION AND I HAD IT ALL IN SPOILER TAGS SO THAT NOBODY HAD TO READ IT IF THEY DIDN"T WANT TO AND THEN I LOST EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Deep breath*

Since I lost all the proof I had gathered, I'll just say that I am a christian, I was not always a christian because I can't believe in something without there being sufficient proof of that something, but then I did extensive research and found ample proof in christianity, and have lived my life based on the conclusion drawn from all the proof I found, and have been much happier with my life, except for when my STUPID COMPUTER MESSES UP AND LOSES EXTREMELY TIME-CONSUMING REALLY LONG POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

20. Styx That's me inside your head.

I don't have any religious belief and I'll never quite dig the whole "faith" thing. If faith is blind, what makes it so different from believing in fairies and unicorns? And if it isn't, what's it based on?