Why are beliefs used as insults?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Nathaniel, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Nathaniel Twilight Town Denizen

Such as "hippie", "punk", "emo"...
    Why? Is there anything wrong with people who have alternate lifestyles?
    For example, recently, when I was sitting in the bus, having a discussion with my best friend, who's a hardcore punk, and some guy I've never seen before just says: "Bloody punks, can't reason with them". Which was unfitting, as we were haing a very reasonable discussion. I just think he wanted to hurt or insult my friend, but why would he insult someone by their belief?

2. P Banned

It doesn't require the user to think, and it has the added benefit of slowly corrupting the public opinion of the group, until the stereotype of that group becomes mass opinion, and slowly fact.

Quite ingenious.

3. Tahno The official Charlie Sheen of Republic City.

It's all based on stereotypes.

The only belief I find quite awkward is the "emo" one.
    Creepy, but I still respect their opinions...

4. Arch Mana Knight

Punks? I don't see that as a stereotype...well...It kinda is but I use it all the time. I don't see "Punks" as being anything good. Punks are punks for a reason(they don't have to dress the same, like the same music, or act the same)...when people dress "punk" there's nothing bad about it but when they act stupid that's when I call someone a punk. To me, punks are kids who act overly immature, do stupid things(I don't mean random stupid things that you do because they are stupid), have very little common sense, and...a few other things. If someone says they are a Punk but don't act like how I just described then they go under the "Punk Rocker" category regardless of taste in music and if they complain I will hurt them.

Anyways, stereotypes have a bit of truth in them but words like "emo" or something similar should be used(well...not really since that's mean) to describe people who are actually emo. People who wear black constantly are not emo, they just like black. B|

5. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Its because they are something that matters to the person being insulted. If you are deliberately setting out to cause hurt/insult someone then it is natural that you're going to pick something that you KNOW will get to them. Besides, its an easy cheap shot that requires no intelligence.

It isn't very nice, but then insulting someone isn't about being nice is it?

6. Always Dance Chaser

Because it works. People get upset when you insult their beliefs. It's the whole purpose of an insult.

7. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Some people associate the terms with negative characteristics. Nothin' wrong with it, it's just conditioning. What they think falls under X category is different from what you think falls under X category, so they're not really insulting you in that regard. Arch is a good example; he probably wouldn't call your buddy a punk.

'Course there are some people who do it out of spite, or who think those beliefs are insults. The latter two groups need to have their heads smashed together, granted, but it's not that hard to fathom when you know you're dealing with ignorant/disrespectful people. You've just gotta power through it. Hell, if it really irks you, get off the forum and go preach it; nobody ever got a message across by staring at people until they stopped being idiots.

8. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Beliefs and lifestyles are related, but they're not the same thing. Beliefs refer to attitudes, or a person's willingness to say that something is true for them or the world. Lifestyles tend to involve a whole bunch of beliefs. Some hippies, for example, believe that peace and being a vegetarianism is good.

While it's natural to be worried or have insecurities with what you're generally interested in, the point is that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs or what they hold as true in the world. That guy who said "bloody punks, etc." is entitled to his belief about punks just as much as your friend is entitled to the beliefs of his sub-culture. In the end if you're fine with what you like it shouldn't matter what others think about it. Unless what you like is molesting children or killing babies...then that's a genuine problem.

9. Spike H E R O

It's basically as bad as a stereotype or it could be on the same principle as a "Your Mom" joke. People are very protective of their lifestyles, making it a very vulnerable spot for some people to come in and voluntarily offend a person.