Time spent on posts.

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Pinekaboo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Pinekaboo Chaser

Everybody has their own methods of typing, presentation, colour preferences, and more, which are visable to others when they observe your posts.
    But what about the non-visible aspects to your posting? Specifically, time.

My query here is this; how much time, on average, do you spend writing out a single post?
    How long do you think should be spent on posts? Is there an optimum amount of time?
    Do you often have issues with others posting during the time you writing out your own post?

Anything else not mentioned relating to the time spent on posts or on the creation of RPs is equally valid here.

2. Glen Returned from the dead

In general i spend about 2 minutes on most posts. Ideally i think more time should be spent on more important sections. I just broke my own opinion by spending 30 seconds on this XD

3. Arch Mana Knight

It depends. If I'm distracted it could take me half an hour to a full hour just to get a decent post done. When I'm not, it takes me roughly two minutes or so to make a post. If I want to make it really good it could take up to ten or twenty minutes.

As long as it's a minute or longer, that's all the time you really need to make a post though it really depends on the person and the type of post you want out of them. Obviously longer and better written posts take longer to make.

Definitely. Sometimes there are people who reply in less than a minute to a post in the RP and I'm stuck here writing my paragraph(s) long post only to have it not apply because someone made a shorter post that covered what needed to be done in the RP. There are times when I've asked people to delete their post or something similar when that happens because it isn't fair to me(or anyone else this happens to) to type out a long post only to be given the short end of the stick by someone who got lazy.

4. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

This is pretty much the exact same view point I have on all the accounts asked and answered lol

I once spent a good hour and a half on a post actually. But that was a particularly long post, and admittedly there were distractions involved.
    However, I needed the time to make the post truly special, and I enjoyed writing it. XD

5. Lite The Future

For me it depends on what kind of post it is.
    If it's a shorter post, then it it probably would take a around 1 or 1 and 1/2 minutes.
    If it's a longer, more in-depth post, it could take up to 10-15-20 minutes.

As for an amount of time, it all comes down to the longevity of the post. Of course, if it's a post that's barely had any thought put into it then it shouldn't even be posted at all.

There have been some times where someone has posted something similar to what I was going to post, but it doesn't happen too often.

6. Pinekaboo Chaser

I suspect I know the exact post you're talking about, and I can see exactly what you mean.

Time for me to answer my own questions.
    1. On average I tend to put about 5-10 minutes into a post, sometimes up to 30 if a recent reply was an unexpected, or particularly complex (as in, requiring several different major points to be covered). Major posts, such as massively plot-relevant things would take longer, though I haven't been involved in moments such as that enough to give an average.
    2. I personally think that 5 minutes is a reasonable amount of time; anyone can come up with something reasonable in that time, though a balance between speed and detail is probably best. /vague answer
    3. I have often had issues with people posting while I do, though thankfully so far very few have been the interupting kind (I've never had to completely re-write a post because of somebody elses). If somebody has posted before me, I tend to work in any neccessary reply into what I've already created.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Like others have said, it really depends on the poster.

Personally, it takes me a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on the post.
    Most of it, though, comes from me being **** on staying online when I'm here.

If I know my reply is going to take more than 15 minutes (that's when the user's session times out for this forum), I click Preview Post every 10 minutes to keep myself online.

I remember when I created a thread once, it took me about 40 minutes.

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Depending on the RP, I can spend anywhere from twenty to thirty minutes developing a halfway decent post.

Five for a short one though.

9. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    I typically take my time with posts, either because I'm in a creative fog, or because I really want the post to be something special; sometimes, I experience both at the same time, which makes it an even longer process. It's not uncommon for me to spend hours, to even days working a single post. I like to stew on it, kind of like writing the angry letter and holding on to it, because it might not be relevant or substantial the next day. It helps me to think about the post I'm going to make before I actually start the post, so I at least have an idea of what I want to write before I sit down to write it.

Of course, I can also pump out posts in about ten to twenty minutes when it comes to faster RPs; it really does boil down to the RP's pacing in the end. If I know I'm going to be RPing with people that will be posting a lot in a short period (like twenty posts out in less than an hour on a daily basis, which I consider a fast pace), then I just type away and hope that it works out in the end (usually, I'll try to keep it from having effects on the overall plot when I do this). On the other hand, if I happen to be in an RP at a more moderated pace (around a post or two ever day or two from each RPer), then I will take a more leisurely and thoughtful approach, so as to maximize on its worth to the RP's plot to a higher degree.

I've encountered this quite often, and it gets rather frustrating. As someone who likes to cap off with at least 2 paragraphs per post, I find it to be a put down when I've worked on a post for an hour, trying to make a powerful moment for my character and another, and the rest of the players have pushed out some twenty posts in short paragraphs that somehow covered the span of a massive event in an RP. It really comes down to that circumstance though. I mean, if I'm working on a big post, and I see two players going back and forth with their characters locked in a jail cell together, then I'm cool with it, since it doesn't really push the whole group forward. But when it IS a major event in an RP, like a large scale battle, or a climactic revelation (the "I am your father" sort of moments), then that's something I can't stand, simply because I had an idea for it that was blatantly unaccounted.

I prefer the moderately paced RPs, where people get in their posts maybe once every two days, and then maybe three or four over the span of a weekend. It just suits my habit of spending more time on posts than the RPs that churn out forty posts a day. Most of the time, I find the that former yields stronger, more meaningful posts than the latter, as in the latter, people tend to cut corners, or take a minimalistic approach to the driving moments of the RP's progression. If I were managing an RP, I would be apt to require that people spend time working their posts together. My range of posting pace would be about a post every day or two at the shortest, to a post per week at the slowest.

I haven't created an RP in a while, but my belief on that is that if you've only spent a day writing it up, then it's not ready to be unveiled. It should take at least a week to get all the bolts and screws into an RP's foundation. Personally, the deeper the RP is to go, the more time there should be plotting it out and fine tuning its presentation. I've literally had ideas sitting in my head for a year at this point that I haven't been able to get the way I'd like them to.

10. Void of Self Destiny Islands Resident

personally, i don't spend a lot of time on my posts. i just write whatever comes to my head at the moment. there might have been maybe three posts where i spent a couple minutes on, but i am usually pretty good at not spending all my time doing that. the variables are how hard i have to think, and if i'm replying to Makaze. that can take a little research. lolz.

11. Patman Bof

My keyboard is broken so I type posts on my PS3, which isn' t exactly the speediest method ever.
    English isn' t my natural language, so although I type troll/spam posts as quickly as I would in French typing more elaborate posts in the discussion section can take me quite a while. Trying to find the best translation possible in what I hope to be proper English can take an impressive amount of drafts, I sometimes rewrite things a dozen times. Sometimes I don' t even know a way to translate my thoughts at all, which is immensely frustrating, it' s rare but it happens. Finally, I edit quite a lot since there isn' t any auto-spell check function on the PS3 browser.

This post didn' t involve a lot of thought or rewriting and it took me ... (checking) ... 10 minutes to type it.

12. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I don't really think much about what I type. I just basically type out what I want to say because I'm thinking it while typing it. Basically freewriting online, as it were.

I suppose if it was something major you should put some thought into your posts, but because I don't really think about the things I'm going to say since they just come to me, I can't really think about what to say. I really have to just type out what I'm saying, otherwise I'll get lost with what I was doing.

I don't really enjoy it when someone posts while you're typing, but that's what you get with forums. If you do find out someone posted before you, isn't that what the edit button is for? Or quoting?

13. Void of Self Destiny Islands Resident

I agree with this. i think it is irritating, and i am too lazy to change it. it usually isn't of much importance anyways, so i don't put my heart and soul into everything that i write.

14. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

Just so you know... this thread isn't on about how long it takes normal posts to be made. Considering it is in the RP discussion section and it even said in the first post it was about RPs... Yeah.
    You can see my point right? Considering you guys are talking about normal posts rather than RP posts. :/

15. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

It depends. It can be anywhere between 10 minutes (either I'm posting for a character or two / rushing through the post), and up to two hours (when I'm posting for a bunch of characters / trying to make sure my writing is good)

16. Doukuro Chaser

Sometimes I open the page to post in a new tab and it just sits there as I try to focus but often I cannot and drift off to watch shows or do other things. Horrid habit but reason why it sometimes takes me a while to reply. Though when I can focus a reply can come quickly. I never time them but...short few minutes. I feel like I go through them too quickly most of the time though which I regret for it lacks detail or is just poor writing.

Overall, though, I guess it just depends on distractions and level of focus. Also the less amount of worry I put into formatting equals quicker posts but the colorless ones bothers me. (My own posts anyhow, for others I don't mind either way.) So torn.

17. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

Well, I spend about 5 - 15 minutes on a post, I think. I don't really time myself haha, but I feel like that's about the amount of time I use for my average posts which are about 3 paragraphs in length minimum. I remember spending more time on a much longer post I've done before, probably close to 20 minutes maybe? But that's definitely the longest. I like to write "in the now" or "in the moment" after I've read through all the posts since my last one and I can freely react to them as if I were the character itself, so I don't like to spend too much time, but of course writing takes time and if I'm not too lazy I like to look back at what I write and check if I had anything misspelled (because I probably would have) or anything grammatically wrong.

I think it all depends on who is writing, I mean the amount of time spent on a post doesn't relate on how well the person role plays or the quality of the post. If someone can write a incredibly detailed, lengthy post in five minutes then, why not? If someone could write a short quality post in ten then, why not? It all depends on the person, but I think as long as the person doesn't drag on for too long - too long being days after to the point where it's not about being busy or writers block but because of the lack of commitment, only then does it bother me.

Not really an issue, but more like a "oh no I have to edit!!". I end up blaming it on myself really, haha but it really isn't much of a problem to me. I just go back to my post, read the one who posted while I was writing, then I edit my post if ever necessary. This is exactly why before a post, I copy everything I just wrote, including graphics and colours then I refresh the page, if no one posted I post mine no problem. If someone did, I just continue writing hehe

18. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I USUALLY SPEND A GOOD CHUNK OF TIME ON MY POSTS. MINIMUM IS USUALLY AT LEAST FIFTEEN MINUTES, TYPICALLY MORE. I LIKE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE LONG ENOUGH TO REACH THE REQUIREMENT AND DEPENDING ON THE SITUATION AND OUTSIDE FORCES, IT CAN TAKE SOME TIME TO WRITE A POST. SOME OF MY HARDER MORE INVOLVED POSTS HAVE TAKEN LITERALLY HOURS TO COMPLETE. THEY USUALLY INVOLVE GOING BACK THROUGH THE THREAD TO FIND INFORMATION I NEED OR LOOKING STUFF UP ONLINE OR JUST OVERALL ARE LONG LENGTHY POSTS THAT NEED A LOT MORE THAN OTHERS DO. I'D LIKE TO SAY THAT I FEEL OTHERS SHOULD TAKE JUST AS LONG ON THEIR POSTS AS I DO, BUT I KNOW WE WOULD ALL GET NOWHERE IF THAT HAPPENED LOL. SO PROBABLY FIFTEEN MINUTES IS ABOUT A GOOD AMOUNT OF TIME TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING DECENT WITHOUT HOLDING ANYONE UP.