The Resilient

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Aelin, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    OOC | Skype
    It is currently the equivalent to October 26th, if there was a proper way to keep track of time in space. By not revolving around anything, there was no proper way of telling time. That being said even after over 500 years, they have kept the calendar and time system that was native to their home planet, making things easier to keep track of until such time as they found a new place to settle.

Things aboard the Resilient are pretty quiet this day. The previous day they had tried another attempt at making a peaceful deal with another planet to allow them to settle, and yet again they were chased off through less than friendly means. Thankfully this time no one was too seriously injured or killed. However that still left them without a home, and not much for a backup plan yet.

[​IMG]
    Dania Carrillo sat in her office sorting through paper work while absentmindedly twirling a strand of hair between her finger tips. After yet another failure, her mind was preoccupied trying to come up with an idea of what they were to do next instead of focusing on the work in front of her. It was important work that needed done, but at the same time it was dull. Most of it was peace treaties and promises to do around their trading partners. There were always extra stipulations when it came to trading since the human were not well liked. However in the end Dania couldn't complain all that much, at least they could get something to aid in their survival if not a new home.

The hair slipped from her hand as it moved to touch the bandage on her left arm. It was nothing major, thanks to
    Commander Cartwright's quick thinking. Still the wound stung a little and was certain to leave a scar. Just another reminder of her failure to secure them a home to live, her along with every other admiral who had come before her. Dania liked to believe that one ship had found a home to settle on and out there, somewhere in the cosmos the humans were thriving, but it was all just a dream.

Finally getting annoyed at the lack of work that she was accomplishing, Dania got up from her desk. First pacing to the window, she stared out at the vastness of space beyond it before decided to go for a walk around deck. She should have been setting a course and finishing her paperwork so that they could go and actually trade and get the supplies that they needed before they could even make another attempt at finding a home. For the time being however she just needed a walk to relax at least slightly.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  2. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]

It was precisely 12:00 on their clock, and it was Jael's leisure time. He did not exactly get too many breaks anymore, and for him that was truly unfortunate for his mental state. Jael was not exactly the kind of person who worked well under long workday schedules, but the militant nature of his life forced him into accepting it as the norm. It meant by the end of his shifts, he might as well have been on leisure time, his productivity decreased and his motivation clearly fell flat.

Jael was sitting on a lounge chair within his room, his eyes were closed. There were plenty of rooms on board which allowed him to get his own room, which made him feel slightly independent. Not that he was exactly expecting to bring hot ladies back to the room or anything, but it let him keep his junk around without someone pestering him about it. The room was filled with a bunch of old Earth regalia, stuff Jael did not even know the name of. There was a small station holding a music player that was playing an old song that was left from some of the older times, about a millennium ago. It was some sort of random popular song of the times, it did not really matter to Jael. All that mattered was the noise and the feelings it gave him as he just relaxed to it. A familiar sounding melody with a vocal line filled with "oh-oh, oh-oh" all over the place. He made sure to keep it relatively quiet.

After a bit of time, Jael lifted up a remote and changed the song, to another song. He had become bored fairly quickly. The song was in Spanish, he recognized it, and hummed along a little. In terms of the native human languages, he figured he had the main ones down. English, Spanish, French, German, Mandarin, Japanese. It was all he really needed to know, he was probably never going to use them either. But he couldn't just let the practice die. He had a moral and civic duty to keep those language in humanity's last legacy.

Jael got up and grabbed himself a little bit of food he had snuck out of the previously rationed out meal, and he ate it up quickly as a snack. He took a deep breath and munched on it a little more listening to the music, he started translating the current song into many other languages in his head, before he had to stop himself. He didn't want to overwork himself if he needed to translate later. Jael moved back to the armchair again and sat back, enjoying the rest of his time before he was obligated to go back.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. Midnight Star Master of Physics

On a chair, in the canteen area, sat a red haired young woman. He legs were stretched out in front of her, her hands were behind her head in a very relaxed position and her eyes were shut. It wasn't exactly her leisure time, she didn't work on a military schedule like some others on this ship. That was not to say that she didn't work, it was more that her job as a pilot was more like she was on call 24/7. She needed to be ready to pilot the ship at a moment's notice as and when it was required. Due to that instead of sleeping for like 8 hours in a row, she tended to take short naps throughout the day so that was was never too tired to pilot the ship. Currently today there was not much she could do in terms of piloting, it was the calm after the storm of yesterday. Everyone was recovering and she needed to wait for Dania to give her the course to their next destination, wherever that may be. Still none of this really helped with the image that she looked like she was slacking off, not that she really cared. She'd already spent some of the morning beating up a sandbag with her staff. You might see that as training but it was really just her blowing off steam.

Now behind her closed eyes, the events of yesterday replayed in her mind. She hadn't taken part in the negotiations themselves but she had been responsible for making their hasty escape while under enemy fire. She kept replaying all of her actions and decisions in her mind, was there anything she could have done better, how could she improve for next time? It wasn't like yesterday she'd done badly, she had manage to lose all of the enemy ships and she'd been able to dodge the vast majority of the enemy shots. However, it had not been a smooth journey, she had chucked them around all over the place in the escape and the vast majority of shots was not all the shots. They had taken a few hits that would need to be repaired today. It was by no means a perfect getaway and she needed to improve.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. Arch Mana Knight

[​IMG]

Garrett stretched his right arm out after switching the tablet he was holding to his left hand. Every now and then the pain would come back, a phantom pain of his missing arm, and even though his prosthetic had a limited number of artificial nerves this pain felt far more real than anything else that arm could sense. Still, it was a temporary sensation that went away whenever he stretched and only caused him very little discomfort. The commander shifted in his seat and continued to eye the duty roster displayed on the screen in his hand. There were a few adjustments to be made as some members had become recently promoted and one had even become too elderly to continue on a normal schedule.

Work like this had once seemed dull to him when he first took up the position over 20 years ago and, while the work has not suddenly become more interesting, he gained an appreciation for this part of his duties. It was every bit as important or even moreso as his presence on any battlefield. If schedules were not maintained and personnel not rotated the ship's crew would quickly be overworked and overcome by the mundane. Resources would be going to the wrong places when it was not needed and the efficiency of the ship would fall dreadfully low leading to potentially disastrous outcomes in times of crisis.

After several more minutes he put down the tablet once he was satisfied with the current order of things. Garrett looked around his office which was rather spartan in design and ran his hand through his
    glorious beard planning on what would be done next now that his first duty was done. According to the ship's clock there was still time before he was to oversee a training session with some of the ship's security team. He rose from his seat, tablet it hand, and spoke up. "Computer, locate Admiral Carrillo." As there was still time to deliver the roster to the admiral before moving on to his next task he decided to just do it now without wasting any time.

Once he obtained the Admiral's location he made his way out of his office and moved quickly to intercept her before he lost track of her and needed the computer's assistance again. Soon enough, he found himself crossing paths with
    Dania who was on another one of her walks throughout the ship.

"
    Good afternoon, Admiral." He spoke in a reserved tone keeping the gravel in his voice to a minimum. He held out the tablet. "I've updated the duty rosters, do you wish to review them before I implement the changes?" Straight and to the point. Though he may have been willing to make "small talk" with those outranking him he never sought to do so unless conversation was initiated by someone else.

"Everything looks organized enough. Still have to bring some supplies from cargo though..." Simon scratched his chin as his eyes went from label to label while taking a mental note of what he needed. Thankfully, none of their medicine needed to be replenished...yet but a few pieces of medical equipment were already beginning to show signs of degradation due to their age and abuse during the last violent encounter with an alien species. Repairing some of the equipment would take time and materials that the Resilient just could not spare but thankfully the equipment that needed to replaced right away had...well, replacements in storage.

Simon looked around to the empty beds around him and, knowing there would not be a cataclysmic event requiring his presence, felt it would be fine if he stepped out for a moment to get the stuff himself. He had an assistant anyway to take care of any minor problem that popped out while he was away and an off duty doctor in case there was a serious emergency. "
    Hold down the fort while I'm out. Heading to the cargo bay to get those medical scanners locked in storage and--" There was no reason for him to list every item he was going to get as the assistant knew exactly what they needed just as well as he did. His assistant waved slightly obviously preoccupied with the results of a test they were running. Taking it as his cue to go Simon left the room and planned on making a small detour on his way to the cargo.

His destination was at least on the way down to cargo and as soon as he rounded another corner he came to the doors of the area he wished to enter. He stopped just outside and took a moment to remember what time it was at that moment. A little after noon. She would be off duty by now according to what he remembered. True to what he knew as soon as the doors opened he spotted
    a lone redhead leaning back in her chair, her eyes closed. This would be all too easy.

Keeping his footsteps as quiet as possible as he approached her Simon reached forward and grabbed her shoulders suddenly intending to make her chair lean back past its tipping point to startle her into thinking she was going to fall. "
    Eyes open, Lieutenant." He spoke in a gruff tone imitating his father's voice when he would scold Emma.

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Emma's mental simulations suddenly evaporated as she became aware that she was not alone in this room. She did not move, keeping still in her position with her eyes closed but she focused intently on her her hearing. It was faint but she could hear breathing and the occasional rustle of clothing. It was normal for people to walk through here, it was a communal area after all. However this person was far too quiet for someone just passing through, even if they were being respectful if they thought she was sleeping. This person was too quiet and they were moving towards her from behind. Still she did not move. By now it was obvious to her they were sneaking up on her though she did not know their intentions. The only people on the ship were the crew but why would one of them sneak up on her? She planned our her actions in her head and waited.

The moment she felt a slight breeze of air caused by hands near her neck, she sprung into action. In a moment she was out of her seat, spinning around, her staff in hand extending until barely a second after she started moving she had her staff at her mystery assailant's neck.

It was only then she discovered the mysterious person's identity.

"Ah. S-Simon. Um sorry. I think my eyes are open now?" She quickly and slightly awkwardly put her staff away. The person who she'd just almost attacked was her childhood partner in mischief and currently the ship's doctor. Simply put, not the enemy she'd expected. She brushed her hair out of her face to look at him, a little bit embarrassed about her reaction. "Ughh, blame your dad's training for that. Um. Anyway how are you? Why'd you try to sneak up on me?"

6. Arch Mana Knight

Simon raised an eyebrow, just a little stunned at Emma's reaction time and her instincts to react. He released her shoulders as Emma put her staff away which collapsed as quickly as it extended midswing. "I'll be sure to tell him you've kept up with your training." Simon spoke lightly a hand slowly reaching for his neck to rub the spot her staff had grazed. It wouldn't leave a mark but it had come close. Simon eyed Emma and smiled faintly. "Come on, walk with me. There's some stuff down in cargo I need to get and I think you could use the exercise with all the sitting and napping you've been doing." He chuckled knowing all too well why her sleep schedule was the way that it was. In fact, he had to adopt the same practice when he became a doctor...not that it was all too different than what he was used to anyway considering he was used to being woken up at odd hours of the night to assist the other medical staff(who were now his assistants).

"
    And as for how I'm doing, I'm okay despite my recent brush with death thanks to a certain redhead. I just thought it would be fun getting the jump on you for a change. Guess I'll have to find other ways of surprising you." He mused as he started towards the door, expecting Emma to follow. With how small the crew was it had always been easy finding time and space to meet up with his friend...although it also meant that nothing ever remained secret. Like the time they had gotten stock in one of the Resilient's vents as children and his father had to drop everything to get them out. As bad as the scolding was the embarrassment was worse still. It took months for people to forget the whole ordeal or at least stop mentioning it. It was a wonder that the two were ever achieved the rank they held now. Emma may have been the one to start trouble more than half the time but he always followed along with it despite being told to look after her. What else was he supposed to do? Resist that look in her eyes she gave him when a mischievous idea popped into her head?

"
    Tomorrow I've got a few physicals to get done for the crew. Unless the admiral and captain decide to put all our lives at risk again I've got a pretty clear schedule for the next few days. Uh...other than a little project I've been working on but the tedious stuff for that was finished days ago. Just waiting on results." Simon reached into his pocket absentmindedly to find that he was still carrying a syringe. Thankfully, it was not as primitive as those that existed in 21st century Earth...at least from what he read. There was no risk of contamination simply by leaving it there and no risk of harm given that injectors no longer had needles. He pulled it out of his pocket and examined it for a moment. "Empty. Oh right. A few of these have worn down too and--well I won't bore you with the details. I sometimes forget I carry my work with me at all times now." He placed the injector back in his pocket. "How are you feeling anyway? Medically I know you're fine, obviously. Hope you're not too bored with the current state of things. I know you like throwing yourself into positions that give me more work to do."

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

The sharp beeping awoke him from his sleep, it was a very annoying noise, but effective for it's purpose. Cadmus turned the alarm off and got out of bed immediately. It had been a long day yesterday and he had fallen asleep about as soon as he had hit his bed. He got into his uniform and checked the time. His shift would start soon, there would be enough time to quickly grab something to eat. He headed for the canteen going over the damage assesments from their latest trip, as he went, paying enough attention not to run into other people as he went. Some of the reports had been updated since he had gone to bed as a more complete picture had been formed. The overall situation not being too bad, but with supplies not readily available and others generally not being helpful to them repairs would be made more difficult.

When he arrived at the canteen he quickly grabbed something to eat, still going through the reports. He finished his meal quickly and headed straight for the bridge, eventhough they were still waiting for a new course from the Admiral, he had to check up the current status of the ship. On the bridge a few of his officers were present. He went past the consoles that stood in front of the raised chair he dubbed the throne. It was raised so the occupant could oversee everything. From the chair directly to the left was the communications station, front left was weapons, front right was operations and to his right was the engineering station. Nestled in between the weapons and operations station was the helm control, with a clear view through the viewport. He skimmed over the stations taking in all the important information, the ship seemed to be ready to go, but they didn't have a course yet. The Captain sat down in the chair intended for the CO, since the admiral wasn't present it was his spot now and waited, analysing the information streams coming in from the stations as they waited for a course.

OoC: No banner yet, but it will be there later

8. Midnight Star Master of Physics

"It's not training, just stress relief"
    Emma muttered "And I wasn't napping, but even if I was you know that's fine" Her arguments were quiet, she knew that Simon was just teasing her but still she felt the need to justify herself. However she didn't argue that much and she still smiled at her friend's invite to join him. It would be good to have a chat and it wasn't like she had anything better to do. Plus she felt a little bit guilty for almost attacking him, so helping him out should ease that guilt a bit.

She followed him as he headed for the door but then he started sprouting some nonsense. "Gi'over, you drama queen! Brush with death? Really? I do await the day you can get the jump on me but I fear I will be waiting a long time" She stuck her tongue out at him playfully. Simon was probably the smarter of the pair but he'd never been one for much physical activity and fighting. She suspected when he did get the jump on her, it would be a clever trap or something but he'd have to do a lot better than just sneaking up on him.

Emma listened with her hands behind her head as he mentioned physicals not too interested, however at the mention 'little project' her ears piped up. "Little project? Oooh this sounds interesting. Care to share?" Her eyes had lit up in their usual mischievous fashion, this sounded interesting and she wanted in on it.

Though before telling her about it he went on to ask about how she was. "Me? I'm fine if a little bored. Yesterday was quite fun, it was intense and a good test of my skills. I guess I did alright, we're not dead and we got away in one piece." She didn't quite want to tell him how many mental simulations she'd been doing and how many mistakes she'd identified. "It's gone quiet again now, I'm pretty much free until Dania decides on our next destination and gives me the next route." She shrugged and smiled at her friend.

9. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Dania was not so happy to be approached during her stroll to get away from work, only to be asked about work. Of course that would be the only thing Commander Cartwright would talk about with her. "Have them sent to my personal computer. I will take a look at it when I am back in my office, I will contact you with my thoughts after that. Currently I am on a sort of break." Dania told him. At least he wasn't lecturing her about her injury. If she had to sit through that, well that would be the worst. She hated to be lectured and even as the top in the line of command, she was still lectured from time to time and people still tried to correct her. In a way she couldn't blame them, in comparison she was on the younger side. She had been particularly young when she had taken over as Admiral. While she had the training and inelegance to do so, she could understand the concern and correction from some of the crew, especially those who were older than herself.

"Is there anything else you wish to speak to me about that doesn't require me to think too much about work? Or may I return to my stroll? Perhaps you would like to join me for my stroll." She suggested holding her head high and trying to not look as tired and annoyed as she was. There was so many little things to sort through, all in which tied into each other, and until she figured all that out she couldn't set a course for them, however not going anywhere in particular yet caused its own problems. She wanted to just get it done but she just needed this moment to clear her mind.

10. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]

Jael's leisure time ended faster than he would like, he cleaned up his space and changed into appropriate uniform before grabbing a chart of his scheduled plans today. He had to keep himself on that or else he would keep distracting himself horrifically. And he was already years behind schedule for the translator guy. He didn't know how to speak a word of Zegnart despite having encountered them more than enough in this sector of space and having plenty of guides on how to do so. It's because of the inflection, his mouth was not used to emphasizing the klk sound so many times with different tones emphasizing different forms of respect. Too high you're talking as if to a servant, too low and you're speaking to them as if they are a king. And he wasn't planning on starting a war because he said one word wrong.

Holding the booklet, he began walking towards his designated work area. His head was focused more on his reading when he walked. He wouldn't have minded being distracted on his way, since he was still in the break mindset, but he didn't exactly have any intent to run into someone while on his path.

[​IMG]

"Computer. Confirming T-3200's status, it is now fully operational." Kathi remarked to the air happily as she finished tightening the screws on a little robot. The computer bleeped in confirmation and Kathi placed the robot back into some protective casing for in space operations. She then stretched a little as she stood up, she walked over to a computer and pressed it, "Mechanic log, 26-10-26. The robots that malfunctioned during the previous emergency repairs have been fixed and are now fully operational. They performed correctly in our contained environment tester, however they have not been tested in space yet. The only robot still unconfirmed over the status is R-8252, which may have to be taken out of commission if repairs do not meet a minimum of 80% capacity." she stopped speaking afterwards and let go of the button.

Kathi moved over in front of the little robot. R-8252. Kathi was a bit disappointed that they may not be able to continue operation with the robot, and she was tempted to make it a pet project in her free time to see if she could rewire it for secondary operations before getting rid of it altogether, but she would have needed permission from the head mechanic.

Kathi began working for the slightest bit of time on the wiring before she realized she was overheating from the tools, so she got herself up with a bottle of water and waited outside in a cooling area. She casually talked with some other ensigns who passed by. Very rarely did she get to see anyone higher than ensign on this ship unless something horrible was going on. The one exception to this was the Captain, who was also the head mechanic mostly by default. She had to put most things through them, otherwise it was just her and all the other, well, 'red shirts' as she remembered someone referring to them as at one point.

Kathi continued drinking her water and closed her eyes to enjoy the coldness of the air.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  11. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

[​IMG]
    The Captain was taking in the information from the engineering station and turning them into useful data for when they were on the move again and in an emergency what the capacities of the old beast were. There was of course always the option of temporarily pushing the reactors past their capacity, but he wouldn't do that unless necessary. He received a few notifications as he assesed ship readiness, it was all maintenance and repair related. He updated the information where needed so he had an up-to-date picture when they were moving. As he didn't know how long i might take for the course to be set and there wasn't too much to be done here on the bridge he might as well assist his fellow mechanics. He told the ranking bridge officer in his absence that if a course were put through he was to be called back to the bridge but for now work needed to be done.

He left the bridge for the maintenance workshop. On his way there he hummed an old song to himself. Having arrived in the workshop he saw Kathi, he had just read the reports about the robots and recalled one was still not entirely confirmed to be operational, maybe he could have a look at it and walked over. "
    Heya Kathi, I got your report, nice work on those robots, could you tell me what the problem seems to be with the R-8252 unit?" Cadmus asked his fellow mechanic with the usual air of casualness. He would only utilise a formal approach if it were some official business like an evaluation. He was just a normal human after all and he wouldn't try to let rank interfere too much with that.

12. Arch Mana Knight

[​IMG]

Garrett nodded in response to Dania saying nothing else as he took note of the way she held herself as she looked eager to continue on her stroll. Although Garrett might have been considered to be a "cold" man he was far from blind to the stress being in the position of admiral caused. Being responsible for the ship and crew was the duty of the top three officers aboard any ship and it was the one in charge who had to bear the responsibility of any commands given.

Though unsure of what purpose joining Dania on her little stroll would do if they were not to speak of their duties he felt obliged to take her up on her offer. He still had a few minutes of free time left before he had to return to his duties. "
    If you don't mind then, I will join you." He turned to the side allowing the admiral to pass him and take the lead whenever she was ready. Small talk had never been his strong suit even when he was amongst his family but he always managed to speak just enough to avoid seeming rude. Most of the time.

"
    The day has been quite quiet so far. Preliminary scans of the sector have shown little to no activity around Resilient. Times of calm like these offer too much to the imagination of what could happen. I am not particularly fond of the unexpected." Realizing this may not have been the easygoing conversation the admiral might have had in mind for a walk meant to de-stress herself before work he added in, "...But the quiet offers much needed serenity. Especially given the only thing we have to worry about is being attacked by stray dust particles." He ended with a joke though it had been stated quiet plainly. His son had told him over the years to lighten up and although progress had been slow he had grown almost comfortable making jokes again.

Simon laughed and glanced over at Emma knowing his theatrics were not going to work on her this time. Normally he would plan on scolding her further and complaining over the state of the crew who went to see him after yesterday's excitement. An elderly man came in with complaints over space sickness and after making an examination he gave a recommendation to his father to reduce the man's on duty hours. Still, if Emma had been a worse pilot there would have been casualties and a small amount of discomfort was a negligible price to pay for keeping a full crew.

He knew how much her job meant to her and how stressed she could get over even the slightest mishaps and while it was his job to make sure the entire crew held up okay he never stopped paying close attention to Emma. At least today she seemed fine given her attitude...though he knew her not to be one to come forth with her feelings first. Simon looked away from Emma and forward in the direction they headed as they entered the lift. "
    Cargo." Simon muttered as the lift accepted his command and began their descent.

"
    Interested in my project, hm? Well my assistant has been collecting the results of..." Simon scratched his chin realizing that he had not shaved in some time. "There were some samples I collected during a mission a few weeks ago. I collected some beans and orchids that matched the descriptions of an edible species on Earth. The tests were to make sure that in trying to concoct something that existed in Earth's past I won't end up killing everyone on the ship by introducing an alien plant aboard the ship. Giving our cook something new to use in his recipes seemed like a good alternative to more rations and more dull food. Of course I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up when I'm still not one hundred percent sure of its edibility..." Simon trailed off as the lift slowed and the doors slid open to allow them to leave.

"
    I'm sorry it's not more interesting. It's no "cure for the common cold" but...well, you know." He shrugged his shoulders and stepped out of the lift to walk through the storage containers neatly lined up on their racks. "Hm...mind helping me look for a container labeled...MLE 002S? It should be on the smaller side of things."

13. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]

Due to the way his walking path for his office was, Jael just happened to end up walking behind his sister and Garrett. He didn't really get the full picture of the conversation. In fact, for the most part all he heard was Garrett's attempt at a funny quip. At least that was what he could detect. He could also tell that Dania was just not having it right now. He was quiet for a moment before he chimed in, "He's right, Admiral. Those dust particles can do a lot of damage when you're not careful. You look one way and the next thing you know we're all covered in dust wondering oh no we weren't prepared for this at all. If only we had manned our stations ahead of time." he didn't honestly care if he was stressing her out. He was actually a bit more afraid of being reprimanded by Garrett somehow than he was of his sister getting angry.

[​IMG]

Kathi finished up her water break when Cadmus had asked about the R-8252 unit. She would have preferred taking a little bit longer of a break, but she didn't mind too much going back into work. She lead him to the workshop and brought him over to the unit and said, "It's auto-magnetism is not functioning fully, it's too glitchy. It would work if we put it into space, but it might just let go of the ship and drift off. I tried replacing the part but I think it's a malfunction in the programming rather than in the physical."

Kathi casually stood up straight and placed her wrists against her head and cracked them, just to loosen herself up, before she continued,
    "I think what it would need is a complete re-coding. But I cannot find the backup disk. I asked Peeves and Dan but they said it might just be time to let this model go. We wanted to know what you thought first."

14. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Emma went quiet as she listened to Simon's explanation and looked at him with curiousity as he described what he was doing. "You know you're not really catering to my mad scientist image of you, you know? You sure you're not making some Frankenstein monster or something?" She asked with a mischievous grin. She was maybe a little disappointed that his secretive project wasn't anything too crazy, it wasn't anything that she could really get involved with and have fun with. She didn't really know what she'd expected of him but she could let her imagination run wild sometimes.

"Seriously though, anything that can add a bit of variety and can improve the food around here has got to be a good thing." It wasn't that the food on the ship was bad as such, hell the cook did a great job with what he had but the issue was he didn't have much. Simon had told her before about all the kinds of food the people of Earth used to eat, what luxury. Unfortunately most of those things had been destroyed along with the planet. They were limited to as and what they could pick up on supply trips and those....well those didn't always end well. Either way, that meant fresh stuff and meat was a rarity, they needed stuff that could survive a long time between supply trips. On top of that the food that was picked up on supply trips were often weird and wonderful alien foods but well they couldn't really afford to be picky eaters. Basically, anything that could improve the food would not go to waste.

"But every little helps in our situation" she said following on his sentence. It probably wasn't were his sentence was going but that didn't really matter. "MLE 002S, you said?" She questioned as she searched the shelves for the container he wanted. Her eyes finally locked onto a small but heavy duty green army box with the label 'MLE 002S' slapped on the front of it but instead of immediately going for it she paused. "Really? Really, Si? You had to choose the one on the top shelf, did you do that on purpose? I bet you did." She sighed a little, looking up at the bottle that was far too high for her to reach. "Well I guess I'd better go climbing, this is your fault if I get hurt and you'd better look after me" She looked at the shelves carefully, planning out her route. She needed to get up high enough without falling and without knocking any of the other containers off. This would be a challenge. She wasn't actually that much of a climber, she'd just been forced to be able to in order to get places. It helped she was nimble and naturally better at the more athletic activities. Taking a deep breath, she placed her hands on the first few shelves, ready to make her ascent.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  15. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Dania didn't know what she thought of Garrett taking her up on her offer, she honestly hadn't expected him to. He was a man of his work, and while Dania respected that greatly, she wasn't in the mood for work at this moment and she didn't think he knew how to talk about anything else. However she was proven wrong as he spoke of a subject that was worse than the idea of work. He began to talk about the "What if's." It was true that in the quiet it left a lot to the imagination, however if she didn't let her mind go there, then there was nothing to imagine. It seemed that Garrett realized his mistakes because his next words were an awkward attempt to make a joke on the matter.

"It is true a lot can happen in the silence, but I think yesterday was enough excitement for one day." Dania said as her hand moved up to the bandage on her arm. She was slightly distracted with her mistake yesterday when another voice came from behind, also making an attempt at cracking a joke. This time however Dania had no hesitation reacting. She turned around and lightly smacked her brother in the back of the head. "You aren't helping, brat." She said with a bit of a laugh. She cared a lot for her younger brother and while she could be harsh on him at times, liked to joke around when she could. "So you were able to separate yourself from your hordes of stuff long enough to visit your sister for once? Or are you just here to enjoy Garrett's wondrous company?" She teased. It wasn't that Garrett wasn't a good person, she admired him quite a lot, but he wasn't the first person you would think of to go visit. Plus Dania couldn't pass up the chance to crack a joke of her own.

16. CrownMoksha Decimo

Silence was Allec's friend as he looked through the food that they currently still had in stock. With it being a few weeks since they had last traded for some more food, they were slowly starting to run low. Not enough were hunger would be an issue, but there would be less creative dishes from him...which was saying something given that a good chunk of the food he worked with was alien. By this point though he was used to the difficulty of making food, he wouldn't be a good cook otherwise. "Guess I'll start thinking of something to make." His eyes scanned the various ingredients in their respective means of storage as he tried to come up with something. It was better to take it one step at a time as oppose to trying to figure out the final picture first.

17. Arch Mana Knight

[​IMG]

Garrett turned his head as the sound of footsteps came near and a young man spoke. "Lieutenant Carrillo." He greeted the lad simply. "Not falling behind in the Zegnart translations are we?" He checked the time by lifting his arm which displayed a digital clock on the palm of his hand. One of the many bonuses of having your arm blown off by alien weaponry was the choice of "upgrades" one could have. With the time in hand, pun intended, he knew that the Lieutenant's break had past and he was already starting to run late for his shift.

Raising an eyebrow at the Admiral's joke at his expense he just shrugged it off. He already knew that he was not the easiest person to get along with but being friends with everyone on board was not his duty. He was more concerned with keeping everyone alive and the ship running at peak efficiency. Speaking of which...now that he had seen the time the minutes he had spent with the admiral and greeting her brother had given him little time to return to his own duties. Lecturing the Lieutenant would have to wait for another time. "
    If you'll excuse me Admiral, I must be tending to a training session now. The rosters will be on your desk this afternoon." He glanced over at Jael as he made for his exit. "I suggest that you return to your duties as well, Lieutenant. Good day." And with that, Garrett left the two to their own devices.

SImon raised an eyebrow at Emma's reaction wondering why he needed to conform to anyone's idea of a "mad scientist". Did she really want him going about creating mad abominations of science in a dark dungeon? The ship had no dungeons as far as he knew. Although...Simon almost considered inviting Emma over in the middle of his work with the lighting dimmed while he began to laugh maniacally. Maybe then she would get her wish of seeing him as a mad scientist.

"
    Mm." Was the only semblance of a response he gave to Emma when she gave her own approval of his idea as he was distracted searching for the container with his equipment. With his mind preoccupied he almost did not hear Emma speak up once she found the proper container. He had been kneeling down inspecting the numbers of crates set up on another rack when she found the right one. "You know me, inconveniencing you is what I do bes-" He turned his head to watch as Emma grabbed on to the low shelves to set herself up for climbing to get it. "Waitareyouserious!?" Simon sprinted over towards the girl as imagery of Emma slipping and cracking her skull on the ground came to mind. She may have been a dexterous little thing but that did not mean she got to ignore safety protocols whenever she wanted.

Thankfully, as tough as Emma might have grown over the years she was still as light as ever. Simon pried the pilot off the shelf by grabbing her from behind and swung her around to place himself between Emma and the shelf before setting her down on the ground. "
    You're lucky no one was around. We're supposed to set a good example for the rest of the crew aren't we?" Simon scolded. "I nearly tackled you, Em. You wouldn't be too comfortable being under me if I did that, would you?" He folded his arms though he could hardly bring himself to be mad at her.

Simon eyed the container up beyond even his reach and searched the room for a ladder...which was not even five meters away from where the two had been standing. "
    I'll get the ladder and you can climb it to get the container. Deal?"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  18. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Due to concentrating quite hard on how to climb up these shelves without falling and breaking all her bones, Emma's reactions were not on par with what they had been earlier in the day. Simon's shout of "Waitareyouserious" had caught her attention just enough to cause her to glance over but by the time she'd shifted her view, her longtime friend was already upon her.

"Wha-Hey! Put me down!" Emma shouted out to him as he'd suddenly grabbed her and lifted her off the ground. She stared at him as he put her down, unhappy to have been caught and to have been lifted against her will. Her friend went on to scold her, for something she really already knew. She knew that she shouldn't really climb and she also knew that Simon was kind of worried about her doing that. Simon probably wasn't aware how much of a pain it was to get the ladder out for ever little thing, he could already reach most of it. Also, Emma would never admit it but she really hated that ladder, she'd had more pain caused from trapping her finger in the it or getting hit with it, than from falling from not using it. That said that was probably due to not being allowed to not use the ladder. However she knew that wasn't a proper excuse and did not say it outloud.

Instead Emma looked up at Simon with a serious expression as he reprimanded her, nodding to show her understanding. Though as he did so, her serious look began to show cracks as she struggled to keep a straight face. The corners of her lips began to curl upwards in a smile that she was trying hard to keep hidden. She usually found Simon's lectures hard to stay serious in. There was just something about it that she found amusing. At the mention of him tackling her, her eyebrows went up a bit but her verbal response was successfully stopped by her brain before it reached her mouth.

She finally got up off the ground and put her hands in the air in defeat. "Alright, you win. I'm sorry for trying to climb it. I'll use that stupid ladder in the future." Her eyes flicked over to the ladder with disdain before flicking back to Simon and relaxing. Well at least this time Simon would be the one fixing the damn thing in place and not her, the actual climbing of the ladder was fine.

19. cstar stay away from my waifu

[​IMG]

Jael rubbed his head when his sister smacked him and he was gonna reply immediately, but then Garrett mentioned the Zegnart, and he had to contain his cringing. He was falling behind, not from lack of trying though. When Garrett left the conversation he was just kind of quiet as he looked back at his journal and said to Dania, "He's saying that as if this isn't in route to my office..." he was quiet for a moment more before looking up and saying, "I haven't been avoiding you, ya know. Not intentionally. You're the one who mapped my schedule opposite to you." Jael pointed out before looking up at her and nudging her slightly, teasing, "If anything, you must not want me messing with your shifts."

20. Aelin Best Waifu

[​IMG]
    Dania's arms crossed as she listened to Garrett talk to her brother. She was protective of her brother and while yes, he was a lower rank than them, she felt he deserved more respect than that. That being said she only got the respect she did because of her rank, and that was a hard one to get up to that point. Before, most people didn't pay attention to her, only the admiral at the time did, in fact he took great interest in her to almost the point it was creepy. She sat through that, even when it was uncomfortable for the sake of humanity because she was learning how to take control of the ship and being groomed to replace him one day. While there was always other options, someone young and strong had been the better option just because the likelihood of the surviving.

Dania waited and watched Garrett leave before sighing.
    "Don't worry about him. I am the admiral, not him. Lets walk." She instructed as she continued to stroll at a slow pace towards his office. "With the fact that three of our trade partners just dumped us, and the attack yesterday, there is so much to do. I don't work shifts. I work until I can't keep my eyes open anymore, sleep for a few hours and then it is back to work. Speaking of, if I send you some documents can you rush to translate them? I think I got it but I just want you to double check before I sign us on to something really stupid. We need new trade partners bad, but not bad enough that I will sacrifice anyone." Dania said as she ran her fingers through her long tangled hair.

They finally passed by Jael's office and she slowed her pace, stopping.
    "I should probably let you get to work before Commander Cartwright is on our ass again about work. I need to do more paperwork and set the course. Expect to be moving on soon. I will be setting the course while you translate my documents. Perhaps when this is actually over we can have dinner or something, I don't know. We will see. I'm sorry." She said as she turned to head back to her own office with a small sigh. She didn't want to go back to work but she knew it was a must.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.