The Giver

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JellyBeing, Nov 24, 2007.

1. twilight knight4 Traverse Town Homebody

hey my english class started reading this book last week its a prety good book

2. Sumi suicidé

The Giver=PWNSOMENESS!!!!

3. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

I really like the idea behind The Giver. It shows how ignorant people can be in a society where there is no change, and what consequences can occur from trying to forget the past. Pretty good reading pace, too.

4. Dredica SNES was the best.

My brother is in 3rd grade, he was going to read it, but sadly he only made to chapter two. I don't want to read it though.

5. The Twin My, what a strange duet

For some reason I read this in 8th grade...way later than a bunch of people here....

But man I loved reading the Giver. It's one of the few rare books I was forced to read in school, but liked so much I went out and bought a copy of it anyway.

I was always confused somewhat about the idea of being "released", thought that was somewhat creepy. Like, what happens afterward? Are you dead?

6. Arch Mana Knight

I read it freshman year...I liked the book but it was kind of creepy that when they "release" you from the town/city they don't take you to another town/city, they kill you with a lethal injection, saying it is just one of those medical shot things...then they throw your body away (they probably burn it I guess). I just wondered what happened to the main character and if anyone helped him when he reached that other town. Or maybe he died with that child...or he died but the child lived and some family adopted him.

7. Black Sinner Twilight Town Denizen

*shudder* I always figured there was something funky about the release business. Sugarcoated term if you ask me.

I think I read somewhere that the town he came to was his own town, that he somehow doubled back or something.

Gathering Blue is also an interesting book by the way.

8. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

He survives, the continuation is Gathering Blue and the Messenger. I haven't read them, but my mom did and she said that they lived.
    It's a euphemism, like what the Nazis meant when they said "concentration camps".

9. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

3: I was never forced to read that book back in the day.

:3 But now I want to.

10. Dove Syndrome Traverse Town Homebody

I remember reading this book in 7th grade. I actually liked it and now I want to find it.

11. Atlas Gummi Ship Junkie

I liked this book, and the two that followed, Messenger and Gathering blue.

My friend doesn't like this book at all, though.

Yesterday, he actually picked it up from the box set we have in class and threw it out the windown. It landed in some mud. Teacher didn't even notice, which is kinda odd.

12. Mexony Hollow Bastion Committee

Ah, that book, read it during June with my teacher. Although it is strange by the place they live in, with the "release" but in the end left me trailing. Did Jonas actually die from hunger or was it a dream? Interesting book it is, really liked it alot. But I haven't read the continuation which now..I'm on a hunt:)

13. ~Namine_Hearts~ Gummi Ship Junkie

The Giver was ok. We read it for a 7th grade assigned reading book. I dont plan on reading the next two books :P

14. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

omg nick(the grim heaper) and i r in school and r reading it!!!!!!

15. Maka Albarn It's called love

I loved the Giver! XD It was one of the best books I read for a school assignment, ever! It really makes you think what the world would be like today, if we had that kind of a society. The book made me thankful that I can make my own choices and shape myself. Yup, it's the best book for me.

16. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

i am on chapter 16 so it got good for me in chapter 9

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

17. Shizzy Gummi Ship Junkie

I finished reading The Giver a few weeks back, it was a school assignment. It was a good & interesting book, but was creepy in it's own way.

18. emozexionemo Destiny Islands Resident

my teacher went to see lois lowry (the author and i think i spelled her name wrong) at a speech thing and got her to sign one of our books and yes that was my favorite ive been forced to read

19. Tootsie coquí

I read it this year ( yeah , pur education's pretty ******ed here) and it.was.awesome.

I even sobbed at * the part when Jonas' father killed the baby ;_; it was pretty sad in my opinion.

But it was a great book,best book I've read for school so far.

20. Cutsman Gummi Ship Junkie

I read it in 8th grade. obviously i was made to do it. but i mean it was ok. i surprisingly liked it, the whole idea of another place like this was just intreaguing. Definitly i recomend it to anyone that has notread it.