Television The CW's Flash

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Boy Wonder, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

[​IMG]
    Spinning out of Arrow, a show about the Scarlet Speedster himself.
    In the Season 2 episodes of Arrow, The Scientist and Three Ghosts, the team met Barry Allen (played by Grant Gustin), a forensic scientist from Central City. Without any major spoilers, Barry Allen is the Flash (I want to say the original Flash, but that's weird depending on your views on Jay Garrick). His introduction to Arrow opened the door for superpowers in the up-to-then realism of the show's mythos. In fact, a follow-up to his appearance (with two characters from the upcoming Flash show) even went very sci-fi.

Long story short, Grant Gustin was cast for the role of Barry for three episodes in Arrow as a test. If reaction for him was good enough, they would use him for a Flash show with the third episode being a backdoor pilot. However, early reaction for him was pretty damn great and his third appearance was cut so he could get a legitimate pilot (which has officially been greenlit). In lieu of a third appearance, Danielle Panabaker of Disney fame and Carlos Valdes of Broadway made an appearance as Caitlin Snow (Killer Frost's real name in comic books) and Cisco Ramon (known as Vibe in comics). Caitlin and Cisco are employees of S.T.A.R. Labs where Barry's comatose body is being held after the incident that granted (lolpun) him his powers.

Other cast includes:
    • Jesse L. Martin as Detective West, surrogate father to Barry and real father of Iris.
    • Candice Patton as Iris West, Barry's best friend, possible love interest (and famous for being his true love in comics before the New 52).
    • Rick Cosnett as Eddie Thawne, a recent transfer to the Police Department with a dark secret.
    • Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells, the man behind the Particle Accelerator who "becomes a pariah after the lab explodes until he learns he created the Flash."
    • John Wesley Ship (played the Flash in the 90s) series has an unspecified guest appearance in the pilot that "will be expanded to recurring status" if the show gets a series order.
    • Michelle Harrison will play Nora Allen, Barry's mother in a recurring role
    • Patrick Sabongui as David Singh, Central City Police Captain.
    The show is developed by co-creators of Arrow Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kriesberg, Arrow's pilot director David Nutter, and Geoff Johns (<3).

You can already see certain plot threads being laid out for the show just by the cast.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fan-made promo using the actual footage from Arrow:

2. 61 No. B

Really excited for this show.
    Obviously I'm a huge fan of Arrow so seeing another DC show being spun out of it is kinda of a big deal. And Arrow s2 setting up stuff for this show is great. Can't wait for the crossovers. But please don't make too many.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Just wanting to state that the show as officially been picked up. Also, did anyone thing that Barry was the one calling Felicity at the end of Arrow's "City of Blood" episode?

[​IMG]

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

5. Arch Mana Knight

I want a series about Superman now. Another one. We can never have enough Superman.

The fact that in CW's DC universe powers exist...makes me wonder if we'll start seeing supervillains in Arrow. Besides Slade of course.

6. 61 No. B

oh my... this. it looks.. so good. i am SO excited for this.
    I was a little worried that they would come up with some lame "realistic" alternative but not only are they actually doing it, it also looks really good.
    This video was amazing (30stm helped lol) and I can't wait.

Also about your Felicity comment, I don't remember that but it's certainly possible. In fact I hope so. I don't want the first episode to be him waking up from a coma. That would be weird for anyone who doesn't watch Arrow.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I've not watched Arrow, but given the previews, The Flash looks like it'll be a pretty good show. I definitely get the feeling that Grant Gustin's Flash is the same character as the animated Justice League Flash I remember, so that's already a big plus.

8. muff monkey Twilight Town Denizen

I'm too excited for this show, but then I'm also freaking out because I already watch so many shows (which I'm literally behind on every single show I watch) and I know I'll get so behind on this. :(

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

TRAILER'S OUT.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1400187703][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It wasn't him.
    At the end of the episode, Felicity gets a call from STAR Labs and it cuts off before it reveals who was calling. Due to the other dramatic moments at the end, I thought it was going to be Barry. The next episode, she mentioned a "courier" from STAR Labs was already his way, but a few seconds later, it was some nameless employee driving.

He isn't. Barry Allen help found the Justice League and was the first Flash (technically, Jay Garrick came first, but continuity is a bit clouded due to Jay and Flash coming from different realities, then the realities being combined, then split again. However, Barry is the first to wear the red and yellow costume with a mask whereas Jay wore white pants and a helmet, but no mask). Barry died in 1985 and didn't come back until 2008 so his sidekick Wally West (the first Kid Flash) became Flash. He's the one most people are familiar with. The Justice League cartoon used Wally's face (famous red hair<3) and name and kept him as the "first Flash" instead of Barry, but they made several references to Barry such as his job, how he got his powers, his enemies, etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  10. 61 No. B

OH MY GOD IT LOOKS AMAZING
    Those production values are insane.
    I still can't get over how awesome the running and everything looks
    AH OLIVER YESSS
    I mean yeah it was obvious that would happen but still that is so awesome that he's there.
    I love everything about what I just watched.
    Oh man I am so excited for this.
    And I love how it seems the show's opening monologue is going to mirror Arrow's. Good stuff.

Everything about his introduction in Arrow screamed good material for television show, trying to find his mother's killer and all, but this is everything I wanted and more.

Oh yeah, that's right

Edit: I like how this show seems to be the introduction to real supernatural elements into DC's televised continuity, rather than just super-science (that scene where they talk about how the accident introduced theoretical elements). And that has me really excited.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  11. Glen Returned from the dead

Haven't really watched much of Arrow, but hey I love the Flash so i'm willing to give this a watch. High expectations for it though!

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...Well, the point is that he seemed like The Flash. >>;

13. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Yeah, the Flash tends to have a similar personality, no matter who's under the mask. I mean, it helped that Barry helped raise and taught Wally and then Wally did the same with Bart. They're always full of heart. The trailer wasn't kidding when it talks about the hope he represents.
    Also, apparently, John Wesley Shipp -who played Barry in the 1990 show- was cast in an unrevealed role before, but if you look closely at the family photo in the trailer, it appears that he's playing Barry's dad. On that note, although Shipp played Barry, lots of his character was inspired by Wally (whereas in the JL show, Flash was Wally with lots of the character inspired by Barry).
    I'm glad that they're obviously using you-know-who for his mom's real killer.

14. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

So I saw the pilot. Review:

It's great. I really enjoyed it. Still wish Barry was blonde, but meh All of the actors nailed their roles really well, though Cisco was trying too hard to be the funny guy. There was a bunch, having actually read Flash and DC in general, that you could see and figure out where they were going and even know what they're not going to do in the future by what's changed (Linda Parks being the reporter of Channel 52 and seemingly older than Barry for example), and then there were things like the ending that completely surprises you. John Wesley Shipp as Barry's dad was nice, though. The costume still looks weird sometimes, but I didn't even notice by the end of the episode. I will say this, it's a mild spoiler that the crew have already said in interview but beware
    When they said Barry was going to get a costume and be called the Flash from one Day 1 to avoid Smallville's ten-years-for-tights predicament, they weren't kidding. Not only does the team pretty much get there from the get-go (three of them already being a team), but five people
    NOT COUNTING Weather Wizard who saw a maskless Barry
    know Barry is the Flash (and that's also not counting if a certain someone ends up being who they would obviously be).
    The show got off to a great start, I enjoyed it more than I did Arrow's pilot actually.
    And it's cheesy in a you-know-it's-the-CW kind of a way, but the comedy is really enjoyable like when Detective West runs into the Weather Wizard. Well, maybe a bit too cheesy sometimes. The CGI wasn't half-bad. Some angles of Barry running looks off, but it's generally okay.
    All in all, I can't wait for show to officially premeire.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

WAIT THE PILOT IS OUT

OR WAS IT LEAKED

16. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

"Leaked." It was taken down, but not after a whole day, giving several sites a chance to view it and review it. It felt like a deliberate leak by the CW, but there's still several sources online.

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

...I see.

consumed with lust.jpg

i try not to watch leaks

18. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Don't blame you~
    Also, Robbie Amell (Stephen Amell's, a.k.a. Arrow's, cousin) has been cast as Ronnie Raymond, one-half of the Firestorm matrix who will make an appearance in episode three. Apparently, he is also Caitlin Snow's husband who died during the particle accelerator accident that gave Flash his powers. I really can't wait to see how exactly they tie that in (I have my own ideas, but we'll see). It's also interesting that Caitlin Snow becomes Killer Frost in comics, one of Firestorm's main enemies. So...will they be a lover's quarrel down the road?

...I wonder how much influence Stephen Amell had on his cousin getting the part.

19. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Here's a short promo from Comic Con giving an exact number for Flash's speed (which shouldn't be too surprising considering the mph he had to break in the pilot) and teasing a villain (who was also teased in Episode 1!) and Ray Palmer, a.k.a. the Atom, who will be played by Brandon Routh on Arrow, season 3.

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training