Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    What should count would depend, first, off of what the mod would be tracking in determining what posts should be counted or not. I mean, if we're talking word count in a post, I'd say that a post with 300 words would suffice as a minimum; maybe even 400 or 500, if that could be proved a stable possibility. As Lilbueno just stated, that really long one was a "special occasion" post (I'd imagine it happened in an emotional high point in the RP, and in his creativity). Were this mod applied, it would be a bit of a mean taunt to tell people that they had to jump the 1000 word bar (or something really high like that) to have their posts counted. That would almost certainly lead to an automatic segregation of people who can push their posts that far deviating into their own RPs so that they can reach that bar with ease.

2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Yeah, staff is working out where exactly to put the bar along with other things about the mod.

There will doubtlessly be times that people get posts they shouldn't (such as too many characters or fluff-ball posts) but similar things can be said in all post counting sections. People that post empty critiques on stories or art, or the people that request codes, I mean anywhere that posts count some people are going to milk that. I personally think that this plan holds up pretty well. Even if this does draw people into RP when they normally wouldn't, they still need to earn it.

If you want to discuss what the character count to make post count should be, then have at it.

3. Arch Mana Knight

Four or five lines should be the minimum. You realize that 300 words is longer than your entire post just now, right? You only had 156 according to a word processor. It's like asking everyone to only RP in the Extended section where every post has to be ten lines are longer. That just isn't fair because posts count in other places where you need to put in way less effort. So I'm going for roughly 150 or so words or slightly less. It may not sound like a lot but that's already the size of the post above me.

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

If it's a word count, I think 150-200 minimum would be decent. 100 at the leastif we're feeling generous.
    Letter count? Eh...800?

5. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

And in a typical RP post (not a good day, but not a bad day either), I typically cap off with twice what you just quoted. It really just depends what I'm given to respond to. I really don't see 300 words as all that much to ask (I'd go no lower than 200 words though). I mean, if we're gonna have to work for a post count, then why not work for a post count?

6. Arch Mana Knight

It's simply because we'd be putting in more effort into it than just about every section where posts count. You're not the majority of RPers. 300 is about ten lines or slightly more. The section as a whole is not the Extended section. If it was, we'd only be asking for posts in that section to count.

7. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

Well, I'd say that 200 words would be a reasonable minimum.

8. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I'll say 150-200 at a minimum. I myself alternate between one liners and four paragraph posts, in all honesty. I don't want to raise the bar to something unfair, but I don't want it to be easy to reach.

9. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I have to agree with Britishman here. 150-200 seems to be the best if you ask me. It just really depends on the role play and how I'm feeling because I to go between one liners and 2 paragraph posts.

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Alright the general consensus seems to be about 200 words. The mod uses character count though, so assuming an average of 5 characters per word (taken from writing samples of a few RPs) we can call that a 1000 character post. Does that sound like a fair baseline for everyone?

11. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

1,000 character count seems perfect to me. I think that's easily attainable if you put enough thought into the post.

But does that exclude the coding for italics, bold, colors, etc?

12. Pinekaboo Chaser

I'm cool with it, yeah. 1000 characters seems fair, and it would require some effort behind it.

13. Mixt The dude that does the thing

That is one of the technical details the staff is looking into. Don't worry about that for now.

14. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh okay. I'm glad you guys thought of it too. (:

15. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Okay, I've been going round checking several posts to see with a 1000 character limit what would count. From what I've found is it's a fair amount longer than I expected it to be though I guess it means people have to put more effort into their posts. I found that 1000 characters is generally more than 200 words, going on to 250 though that varies. The other thing I want to know is whould the character limit include spaces? If it does then it brings it down closer to 200 words but spaces may be very easy to spam without people noticing.

Also I don't think I got an answer to my earlier question, forgive me if I missed it. If we use P's mod, will past posts over the character limit count or are we starting from fresh?

16. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

When I've talked to various people about the Mod. I do believe it includes spaces.
    However I personally feel 1000 characters might be a little too high.
    Maybe have it reduced to something like... 950 as a ball park figure.
    Of course, that isn't our guaranteed number anyway. From what I understand, staff are experimenting and trying to find the ideal number, so we might not have 1000 characters, or we might.

As for if past posts will count. From what I've heard and believe. They will, and I don't see why they shouldn't, but again that will open up a whole new can of worms for people to debate on.
    The way I see it though, if the section is gonna count, it should be the whole section. :/ I mean, it's not like our past posts should count any less than our new ones.
    If the past posts are over the character limit, then they would have earn't the right to count. (since we apparently have to earn that right unlike the other sections, but meh)

17. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I agree with you on this.

As for that, if they are over the limit of course they should count. And keep in mind other sections have people that work for their posts. Plus having them count is an improvement from what you have now so why not?

18. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I don't think that 1000 characters is that unreadonable a limit. The point of the mod is to make people have to work for their posts. The lower we set the bar, the less so that will be.

19. Jayn

When it comes to the mod, I don't know if it'll kick in that way. I mean, I don't know if once installed it will wrack up old posts that are over the character limit or not. If it doesn't then there's nothing we can do about it, but eh. :/ Also, if the mod was installed then the whole RP section would count.

If BBcode counts, 1000 characters sounds like a fine character minimum for post count. The idea is to work for the post count, anyway. So I don't feel it should be too low. (though it shouldn't be ridiculous either). Either way, these are all things not yet set in stone.

Still not sure how the mod actually works but usually spaces count for characters. In which case, if someone's post count is skyrocketing suspiciously they will be dealt with. Manual moderation would not be replaced by P's mod, so either way with these changes a closer eye would have to be kept on posts in general.

20. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

Another question I have is, how would this affect the RP discussion zone?
    I mean, since the discussion section is not a place were RP happens but is discussed. Would we leave this section as is, or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.