Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayn

That's not what I said. You can add onto it, and say whatever you want, it's just that there's a lot of repetition going on here. So I ask that the points that have been addressed stay out of it, because I could literally copy and paste a past reply in to address the concern. However, if there's something new to add, go right on ahead. Same goes to everyone.

The read the thread was not addressed to you.

2. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

You're missing the point. No one is saying for you to stop replying because your opinion doesn't matter. Jayn said to stop replying with the exact same argument after the argument has been addressed. For every post you or any other naysayer has been posting, the majority of the arguments has been the same. For every argument you have posted, about 5 posts addressing that problem has been made. And for those 5 posts, you repeat the exact same argument. You're not countering, you're just repeating yourself and right now you're twisting what Jayn said to make it seem like she's silencing your opinion, which she isn't, hence the poll.

EDIT: Goddamn, Ninjayn.

3. Arch Mana Knight

If we did that then posts shouldn't count in the Creativity Corner, the Graphics sections, or that Video/Audio/Whatever section. Hell, might as well get rid of posts in the Usual Spot. The thing is, all these sections are now important to KHV and serve a community purpose. It isn't fair to RPers to be shafted and stuck in a corner when other sections have still have places where posts count. It's not about motivation, it's about being rewarded and being treated equally.

EDIT: What Bueno said too. B|

Double Edit: Goddamit! Friggin' people posting before me. B||

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

You guys are defensive as hell. Anyway is there really much discussion left to be had then? I mean the poll is in your favor, the people responding is in your favor and the only staff member to vote against it was me and since I "repeat myself" it doesn't really matter. So yeah what exactly are you waiting for then?

5. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

It has nothing to do with staff. Staff has been the one in the past against this. When this was brought up, there was staff that didn't think it was a good idea which is why there was a search for a mod that would help. You're the only staff to vote no, that's irrelevant. The majority of staff hasn't even voted. This, like every other suggestion, is made to get the members' opinion because it affects the members.

To answer your first question, there was discussion to be had in the first place. That's why this poll was put up in the first place. And now there's been about 5 pages and 84 posts worth of discussion.
    Is there any discussion left to be had? Well, that depends. Do you have anything else to say? Does anybody have anything else to say? Anything that hasn't already been addressed? There are plenty of people who voted who didn't post.
    Right now, if you have a problem with the issue, despite everything that's been said, then chances are you're not going to change your mind.
    If you have a problem and nobody's addressed it yet, then feel free to discuss.

If the poll results were reversed, then it wouldn't be a big deal as it is now (hence the same suggestion being rejected in the past).

To answer your last question, you'd have to ask staff, but I would say they're waiting for more people to vote, more people to say something (whether for or against), and they still have to decide on a limit for the characters for the posts (if they use P's mod), and if anything else needs to be discussed. As with most decisions when it comes to change on this forum, they can't just go ahead and do it without asking our opinions when it affects us, the members.

6. Jayn

Addressing when the poll will close, I posted this in reply to Kingdom Hearts530.

7. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

A staff member's opinion tends to be more influential or important (depending on the person of course). But like if an admin says I want this. There is a good chance that it will happen where as a normal member wanting something would probably take longer or may not happen so it DOES matter.

I was just making a point and sure by all means. What I want to know is if this doesn't happen how will it negatively affect the site. I mean if it will just upset some people then that isn't the end of the world. If it actually helps the site then fine go for it. I just see this as a pride thing. I mean you guys clearly work at this and very hard (some of you) and I can respect that, but keep in mind some people could work very hard in posting something in a section that doesn't count and they keep going so this seems more like a "want" than a "need". If you need posts to count to keep the section active or make it more active then I guess that could be done although that shouldn't be a motivation. If you are all so passionate about this then why let something as little as a post count bother you. This could also be taken as disrespect which is something I know good and well about. So by having things in here "count" it may help.

There are good and bad points to this. Keep in mind I wasn't trying to be "that guy" who just bashes everything you all do. I was just trying to make a point and clearly I should have done a better job doing so.

8. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I'm not trying to step on toes here... but this is no longer talking about the RP post thing, and is now just talking about staff's decision making habits and such.
    Can we like... Move it back to the topic at hand and what is important before we become completely derailed.
    The RP post count thing?

9. Ego Imperium Twilight Town Denizen

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    Hopefully that prologue works for the better.

I've been RPing for some time around many different forum communities (most of them based around Kingdom Hearts, like this site). And in most of those communities, the RPing was held within a similar regard to any creative writing. After all, we are creating a story with the things we post in RPs. I believe in this ideal, that RPing should hold itself to a similar creative caliber to any prose or poetry. I believe that those who role play with the mindset of putting out something creative, unique, and driving, should be allowed to have their efforts rewarded in one way or another. And in a forum setting like this, I feel it's only fair to allow that reward to be tacking another post onto one's count.

I don't believe it would be a single out for things to be separated into "Light RPing" and "Serious RPing." I think that if we could divvy the RP section out into an offshoot of a creative writing section, it would only serve to instill within people that effort in creativity is what will be rewarded. Even just saying that posts count might be enough to get those that are "lacking" by creative standards to pull their minds higher on the ladder. It's the psychology of it, I think; people won't put as much effort into something if there's no discernible/tangible reward or prize for it.

So in short, I'll say yes. In one way or another, RP posts should start counting. If nothing else, I think it would be great so see something of an "RP" showcase in the RP Arena, where completed (and maybe even select incomplete ones if seen as worthy attempts) RPs could be moved and counted towards their participants' post counts.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, that plug-in sounds like a really good idea. With that, the section could operate the same as it has been while still allowing those who really go for it the pleasure of seeing their posts count.

10. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

And what does RPing add to the site? Somewhere to relax? Spam Zone/Usual Spot both do that too. Somewhere to meet new people? Forum Families (Oh wait, it's inactive. Oh well.) Somewhere to be creative? CREATIVITY ****ING CORNER! The RP "Arena" is basically a mish-mashed cluster**** of those three sections. Why should you get more posts because you prefer to type parts of a story instead of writing your own?

Rules & News: Dunno why, but posts count here. Kinda seems stupid.

Kingdom Hearts: That's the reason we're all here, no? So obviously posts would count there.

Gaming: Again, dunno why posts count there. Maybe it's just because posts get deleted if they aren't on topic to gaming.

Interests: Posts count in the majority of the section, but not all of it. Seems fair.

Fun and Games: Posts do not count at all, which is, again, fair.

Off Topic: Suggestions doesn't count, but the other two sub sections do, I assume because it involves helping other members and it provides somewhere to go to get help or advice on tech issues.

And no. I don't post here. A lot of people don't. But I think it's pretty rude to say that because I don't post here that I don't have a voice. This is open to all members, not just the RP'ers. Welcome to equality.

11. Arch Mana Knight

You haven't provided any reasons as to why posts shouldn't count. In all honesty you actually gave more reasons with your first paragraph. Unless you support the idea of posts not counting in the Creativity Corner, you haven't actually brought anything new here.

12. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

This isn't me providing reasons. This is me asking what RPing brings to the site that another section doesn't.

13. Arch Mana Knight

It brings the ability to Role Play and for people to get more involved. It's a different form of creativity when compared to writing a story. I've written a few stories and RPing is a very different feel. People get more involved with it than they do with a story. Basically it's like "Creativity Corner INTERACTIVE". There's a reason why this thread is even in this section. It's hard for non-RPers to understand and I can't blame them. Besides, there's relatively few sections that actually contribute to the site but they're active and have posts count there. We don't really need to bring something entirely new to the site. There just needs to be a good effort made on our part. This section doesn't really get half the respect it deserves.

14. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

That's the point. The RP Arena isn't considered as equal as the other sections that do allow posts to count when they don't offer anything more to the forum either (like the entire Interest section).

The RP Arena gives the site a lot of traffic along with the other stuff you mentioned. It's not something you can understand easily if you don't do it.

15. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

And I don't think that the people voting no are getting the respect they deserve, by being told to say something new or shut up.

16. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

BECAUSE YOU ARE SAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN AFTER IT'S BEEN ADDRESSED.
    And RPers aren't getting the respect they deserve by being told that their form of creativity and dedication and hard work isn't as meaningful as a two line post in Gaming which in turn made this poll which in turn started this argument which in turn isn't supposedly giving the no-sayers respect. What's the root of the problem here?

17. Arch Mana Knight

Because they're basically spamming the thread. That's why. A lot of the same points just keep popping up. We haven't bashed them so don't try and exaggerate this. This thread isn't about a flame war or for other people feeling less important because RPers are asserting themselves.

Edit: Bueno, chill. I'VE GOT THIS. B|

18. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Nate, you have a voice and it has been counted as part of the 18% that agree with you. But the fact of the matter is that we also have 4 1/2 times more people on the opposing side. Are you suggesting that we ignore them so that we can prove that you have a voice in the matter?

For us to address your concerns you need to give valid reasons. "RPs may be similar to works in the Creativity Corner, but due to the story being segmented too much we can't merit the counting of individual RP posts" would be a valid concern we could address. If you simply state that you don't think it deserves to be posts all we can do is state that we think they should. We can't argue your opinion.

Besides, no one is saying that ALL posts deserve to be counted. That is why we are looking at ways to make some count and some not.

19. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

The root of the problem is ACTUALLY Role Players being sadface about other people saying no to them having post counts.

20. Arch Mana Knight

As much as I'd love to go about this and list reasons why I believe you're wrong, I'll just agree with mixt up there. Your opinion over this has been stated and blah blah blah you know the rest. Sorry for the dry humor here but everyone who's said no has pretty much been explicit about it. In either case, as much as you want to argue about it you're realistically on the losing side(I'm changing my own vote). Us RPers have valid reasons and I'm sure someone else will beat me to the punchline about it by the time I manage to post this.

Edit: Or not. <<

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.