Should Posts Count?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Sep 4, 2011.

?

Should Posts Count?

1. Yes.

75.9%
  2. No.

18.1%
  3. Don't care.

6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

As I said, I kinda doubt people will be attracted because of post count.

The people that'd do that will most likely not pass the word filter.

2. Chevalier Crystal Princess

We have no idea how the mod works. So I don't know if you'd get posts from an old thread. If you can, then more power to you. If you can't then I suggest you take what you can get, since it'd still benefit you (and all those big RP posters) in the long run.

3. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

I am 100% all for this.

As mostly everyone has said, our posts mean something to us. We work hard coming up with that right word, or that right RP idea. Like Bueno said, it can take a lot of research. A while ago, I made a Greek Mythology RP that took me quite a while to gather enough information on the gods, creatures, etc. And even though it wasn't successful, it was all worth it.

Our roleplay posts mean as much to us roleplayers as a coder's post about codes, or a graphics artist's post about their art. It means a lot to us, and most of us put a lot of work into our posts. Even though my posts may not look like much, it takes me at least 20 to 40 minutes to come up with a post I think really makes a contribution to the roleplay.

Basically, serious roleplayers deserve posts because they put a lot of effort into their posts.

And as Britishism said perfectly, we don't want to post to reach Premium. We post because we love it.

So why not allow posts to count for serious roleplayers? It seems fair to me.

4. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I point you to my earlier post in regard to the whole spam thing.
    And also, Graphic session does count in general, so far... nothing other than discussion the RP section counts. lol

To be fair, thats how the RP section has always been.
    People post cause they love it, and that would not change even if posts count.
    As I said to you previous, why not give the section equality with the other sections?
    I mean... People will post cause they wanna post, not because posts will suddenly count.
    It's like saying; 'Oh... the graphic session has posts count, I'm gonna spam in there to get posts'
    That does not happen. It's the same with RPing, I can assure you of that and anyone else here.

5. Jayn

Proof of this is the RP Discussion section. The only section in the RP Arena where posts count. And it has...Six rather unsuccessful threads disregarding mine/stickies (RP Idol contest)?

If the logic is "OMG POSTS COUNT *POSTPOSTPOST*" then that's not true. If there's nothing interesting or genuinely likable about it to people as a whole, it will remain inactive whether posts count or not. |: There's been zero spam in the discussion section so far despite posts 'suddenly' counting.

6. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Alright well clearly you all seem to be for this, so I see no point in not doing it. I mean you all make valid points here and everything I posted kind of blew up in my face so yeah best of luck to the people of the RP section. I will be in my dead section talking to my numbers.

7. Plums Wakanda Forever

Actually, it does count. xD

It's not really attracting people to the section though. Really, the RP Arena is more or less another CC, except...roleplaying, lol. People put just as much effort into their RPs as someone else does a story, and some people have even written story length posts for an RP.

If anything, I think that if writing in the CC counts, this should too because it is just as much work, if not even more so because unlike the CC where you can work by yourself on a story, you actually need to collaborate and really discuss the plot, characters - everything in an RP to make it work.

I know I put a lot of work in the stuff I write, and it's not fair in my eyes if someone does just as much work on a post and doesn't get a higher post count because of it.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I voted yes, since I've seen some very nice posting done in the RP arena. But I do think the bar has to be set fairly high, otherwise you end up with people trying to fluff up what could easily have been a 1-2 liner.

Though that might just be my loathing of writing that doesn't get to the point.

9. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

We count people posting one sentence about a game, show, or movie. Why can't we count people writing what looks like books sometimes?
    I'm not an avid Role-player, only participated in a few and probably won't ever get into it much because I can't sit and write out the long detailed posts like some of these talented writers can. They spends allot of time working on their posts usually, so I'm totally in favor of them getting some recognition for the hard work they love.

Also a note about the code vault: I know how difficult it is to make the codes that change gameplay and such, but just like RPing I consider that a hobby and an art. Both sections should have the equality of posts counting.

10. KH2man13 Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, I personally don't see how an RP that different from anything in the Creativity Corner. Pretty much the only difference is that it's a team effort. An RP is nothing more than a story being written by many people with multiple story angles with which to view from. Of course, it's entirely possible to write a story in CC with many authors and switching to and from characters' POV.

However, RPing, IMO takes at least as much brain power as a regular story in CC. This is because one person's post could change the entire RP. In a story, you have it all planned out, and that's how it will end up, always. In an RP, you don't know what someone else will post.

So, if we count posts for a story in which the writer has the entire story planned out, why shouldn't we count them for stories that are unpredictable?

Also, if they do count, they should definitely have that word minimum that P and Chev talked about. Otherwise, there might be some people who RP just for the posts and only write things like "Sally nodded." without having any actual content.

Just my two cents.

11. ♥♦♣♠∟uxord♥♦♣♠ Banned

I'm for a new section. I usually go between goofy moods and serious moods when writing and having a choice in where to put my ideas works great with that.

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

I voted yes.

Users that write up essay-like roleplays should have their posts counted for their hard work, whereas users that write up short-type roleplays, such as my Kingdom Hearts one, shouldn't; therefore, threads like that would go in the future Light Roleplay Section.

13. Glen Returned from the dead

I voted for no, because if this happens i can see people making roleplays to get posts, instead of creating it for the fun of roleplaying.

14. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I was in two minds about this, with the Light section as some of the things I rp in would be borderline. If they were in the light section, a fair few posts would deserve to count but if they were counting it would cause a lot of pressure to keep up the standard, always the risk of it getting moved which may put me off and lose the fun element.

However, if you can get P's mod to work then I'd be for it as it makes sure only the posts that deserve it get it and takes off the pressure to make it brilliant while still setting an incentive to improve.

Question though, how roughly how long would they have to be to count? Because I can write paragraphs but not quite the legnth in your (Jayn's) threads and I'm curious if any of mine would count or if I'd have to further improve.

So, on condition you use P's mod, I'm for it. (Despite my determination to keep a low post count, it could be my only chance at prem)

15. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm against this.

Take the Code Vault example. "Code vault posts count, but it's a hobby." It's also in the site description: "A site dedicated to hacking the games and producing videos with the results. Also provides cutscene downloads and analyses." because that is what this site is for. Coding is part of the reason that people come to the site. It is essentially one of the sites major arteries, where the other is the media side. (bit of Human Bio there)

Besides, if no one has complained about this yet (And complained fairly) then why now? Following the logic of "It only affects RP'ers so we'll post it in the RP section" is total crap. You want a fair poll, you ask the whole site. Don't direct them to this thread either, because there are probably more RP'ers that will see this than anyone else. It's like going into a town and saying "The Government wants to destroy this town and kill everyone in it. What do you guys think?" Logically, everyone is going to side with themselves.

Segregating the RP section with a srs RP and a loljks RP section is like saying that once everyone was equal, but now those that aren't as good are now lower class.

Mod wise, as it has been stated, people can just type more than usual for a post to count here and there.

Personally, I don't think that there is any reason as to why posts should count, but maybe it's just cause I don't Role Play.

16. Jayn

Everyone's opinion is valid. But every point made in your argument has been discussed in this thread. Including the 'everyone is equal but now their not' mentality, and why it was posted here. Also, earlier in this thread, one of the 'posts count in RP' suggestion threads was linked to. This issue has been complained about, along with being brought to the attention of the entire site. I also hope you and anyone else who posts here, read the thread all of the way through--or at least mostly, as these things have been heavily repeated and are becoming redundant arguments.

The reason this thread is addressed to the role players is exactly (and why the recent forum family poll--which is the same thing--is directed at FORUM FAMILIES) because of what I highlighted in your post. You don't role play. The RP section is not the only section up for discussion (once again, there is another poll/debate going on about forum families). However--we felt that before changing anything it would be wise to ask KHV's actual RP community what they think; considering that the role players on the site will be the ones mostly affected if anything is changed, not all of the role players want a new section/mods, some do and every opinion counts.

Anyone is welcomed to role play, but there are members who consider the role playing section sort of like their 'home'. Just like some people don't venture out of the Spam zone, and some people only pop up to post graphic art or something in the creativity corner. The ones who frequent the RP Arena would be the ones that this poll is targeting. It's a change within their 'home'. It can be seen as biased if you think of it that way; but it isn't as though this poll is secret. There's an announcement here, in the forum news section, a thread in the spam zone, it shows up in What's New?/New Posts, AND the discussion fell into Voxli. Despite that, the change would directly affect actual role players and was decided to be posted here (and the forum families poll in forum families--NOT in the suggestion thread) as a majority decision with staff. (My being the -only- role player within staff, I hardly call that group decision bias, at least.)

Edit; As for the mod 'random nonsense just for post-count' concern, it isn't as though this will replace moderation. |: If someone makes a post that is obviously just tacked onto irrelevantly, it will be deleted like posts are in the RP section anyway. Long posts =/= On topic relevant post, in any section. Oh, and there is already an 'extended' role play section, that we've had absolutely no problems with in terms of members feeling segregated or belittled. I really doubt the majority of our members are going to misunderstand a 'Light' (or semi-lit) role play section if they haven't already for all of the time the RP rules, word requirements and sections have been here.

Btw, do you argue that the Creativity Corner isn't in the 'site description' and posts shouldn't count there? Or the Help With Life section isn't important enough in regards to KHV, so those shouldn't count either? Etc, etc. If someone puts hard work and effort into a post, they deserve to be rewarded for it. Role playing isn't Spam and shouldn't be equated to it, especially for people who take hours for thoughtful, detailed posts and days to complete an actual role play. It's offensive, especially from someone who does put heart into role playing and treats it like a creativity corner/story post. Don't take it from me, scroll up and read what other role players have to say about it on the flip side. The 'light' section would be a compromise for role players who would feel pressured by a word count, or who just want to have fun with it and don't take it so passionately, and also for people who just want a break from it. It's not a belittlement and if any actual role player feels belittled by it, please come talk to me.

We're still debating exactly how much it should be if the mod is installed, but when we reach a decision I'll update this. :]

17. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

As Jayn said... if you look at things with your view, you may as well make the Creativity corner, and the graphics and help with life blah blah blah stuff not count.
    That clearly won't happen.
    Next.

People have asked(or 'complained' if we're trying to make this look negative) for this many times before, again, if you read through this thread, you would have seen the evidence of this.
    And funnily enough, there have been a few RPers that have been against this, so... your point doesn't stand either. Especially since the thread along with some other threads have already been linked in the spam zone and Forum news zone for everyone to see.

I'm sorry, as things stand now. They aren't equal.
    If we again, look at things from your view, we can just as easily state that the RP section is being segregated from other posts count 'creativity corner' sections.
    How is that fair? Also, as you have said yourself, you don't RP. Most of us RPers don't have that sort of thinking. IT's nothing to do with upper and lower class.
    It's about those that want to casually RP and those that want a bit more from there RPs. It isn't segregation in the slightest.

Even so, that is a step in the right direction, cause to type more, they'd still have to be more detailed and that would help improve things.
    And as Jayn and many others have stated before your post, it will be obvious who is just posting for the sake of getting posts, and when that happens a Mod can just as easily step in.
    After all, it's the same with any other section. People can just post bullshit in other sections, and as such a mod can delete it there. It's no different and therefore shouldn't be seen as a problem here.

Personally, a lot of people think that there is EVERY reason to do this and make posts count, and funnily enough, it isn't just Role Players that think it too.
    As I said, even some Role-Players have been against this.
    It's a mix. I also think though that like with Auto PM, again, thinking of the majority is the fair thing to do here.

~

With all due respect, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here, but all of your arguments you have made were addressed earlier in the thread. Just repeating the same arguments won't help things.

18. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Just as a note for people worried about the light section. I was going to say no until I saw that and I was still hesitant until I saw P post the mod. As a casual RPer I didn't want my posts to count because 95% of them shouldn't, and I didn't want to bw pressured to change that after the shift.

I don't deny it might add a degree of intimidation to new RPers, but I think it would be negligible.

19. C This silence is mine

Eeeeh, I'm kinda torn about this. I'll probably get a bit of flack for this opinion, but I don't really think that RPs contribute anything to the forum. I'm not saying that RPing is totally pointless or anything, but as a whole I don't think it adds very much to this forum, it's basically just a fun thing people do on their free time, unlike something like the posts in the discussion forum which adds people's opinions and such. I suppose if you are really strict with this, considering how hard KHV is on spam, then it's fine. But you'd have to be pretty darned strict. I also think that the whole "RPing is just for fun" thing will turn into a bit of "I must RP for it will increase me post count", which is something that to me goes against the essence of RPing. Yes, I read that there will be a section where the posts count, but... I REALLY doubt that 90% of the people would even look in that sub section after posts start counting.

Just my two cents. I am not voting in the poll for now.

20. Arch Mana Knight

You do realize that technically most of the sections on this site don't actually contribute to it, right? Almost everything not related to Kingdom Hearts or technical forum issues don't contribute to "KH-Vids", after all...that's what the site is really about. >> Still, you're entitled to you're opinion. In either case, there seems to be no hope for the "No" side of the argument. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.