Site News Short downtime, post counts, and roleplaying!

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Hey everyone; as you may have noticed, the forums went down earlier! You also may have noticed that some post counts are now different. To explain:

Firstly, quite some time ago the forum was asked whether we should consider making posts count within the Roleplaying Arena, primary reason being that roleplaying is a legitimate activity, with many posts having a great deal of detail put into them. It was, for the most part, agreed that it was a bit unfair to frequent roleplayers to be stuck with a very low post count, despite being perhaps one of our most active members. There were objections to this, but a compromise was reached wherein only posts within the Roleplaying Arena that fell above a certain character count would add to the user's post count. We're excited to say that this is now the case! To all those who roleplay, we hope you will enjoy this bonus, and that it will encourage you to keep posting on KH-Vids; to members who are not roleplayers, maybe now it's time to take your first excursion into that section! We feel that this is a large move towards equality between the regular denizens of sections.

This change is not retroactive: meaning, older posts within the Roleplaying Arena will not now follow this rule, and bolster older roleplayers' post counts. Only posts made after this date will follow this rule.

Secondly, during the process we have also updated our post counters. Over time, with deleted posts, moved threads, etc., post counters can begin to grow inaccurate. For example, if a thread was previously within a section that counted posts (like, say, Discussion) but was later moved to a non-counting section (The Playground, Spam Zone, and so on), this sometimes would not be reflected within the users' post counts. Especially with our recent Forum Rearrange, and the fact that this update has not been run in several years if ever, post counts have been highly inaccurate; this is the case especially for members who have been with us for many years. Updating the post counters ensures that everyone's posts are now fully accurate.

Many users have lost a number of posts from their counts, while some have, happily, gained some! We apologize to those who have taken hits--I myself have lost around 1200--but hope that your understanding will stem from the fact that these numbers are completely accurate. If you have fallen by quite a lot, we can only suggest that you use this as motivation to post more, and move up to where you used to be!

2. The Fuk? Dead

Is it possible for me to not have my premium status switched back on?

3. Misty gimme kiss

Herp should read posts closer:
    And I dunno if we let people opt-out of Premium? lol

4. The Fuk? Dead

It's like 2:30. I can't read at this point in time

I just liked having a normal colored name. Would you ever consider making premium optional?

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

You mean like staff choosing to leave?

Also, seeing as Misty is so far the biggest drop I've seen, I'm guessing all staff members are like that, where they're the ones that lost count instead of gained count.

6. Arch Mana Knight

I gained posts. Though I did have 16,764 posts(something like that) during the short time all RP posts counted. Kinda sad to see nearly five years of RPing not count but the mod was glitchy apparently. Meh. Gives me more incentive to post in my own RPs. >>

7. Misty gimme kiss

Oh no I meant me. xD I initially replied something else because I didn't read close enough, I think it being late here is making me crazy. Totally my fault, should've been clearer about who I was herping at.

But perhaps, I'm really not sure. That's kind of a separate issue though; feel free to post in Feedback & Assistance.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

I actually just thought of a question. Were only post counters updated or all counters? (Reputation, etc.)

9. Misty gimme kiss

Just posts.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm noticing on and off sluggishness on the forum. It took 30 seconds to almost a minute to edit a VM.

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I think that could be your internet, temporary issues because of the update, or browser slowness. Did you not have this happen before the update?

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Before the forum maintenance, no. All other websites and forums are fine.

13. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I see. It probably has something to with the strain on the server from recounting so many posts.

14. Llave Superless Moderator

Good Lord, I nearly panicked when I noticed post counts were lower. Good thing I lost only 30 posts...

Not much of an RPer however. Alas I regress...

15. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

This will draw many users to the Roleplaying Arena. I just hope they don't come to spam-post.

And now we wait...

16. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

My name is Kitty McKechnie. You killed my 5000 posts. Prepare to die.

[​IMG]

17. Misty gimme kiss

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

Would it be possible to update other counters at some point? Perhaps during the next upgrade?

19. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

What is the character limit for rp post to count towards the count. I had just made a post in a rp I'm in and my post count did not change.

20. Misty gimme kiss

There's really no reason to, none of the others would have fallen inaccurate. It's of course possible but unnecessary. It's something you run only when you have a reason to.
    We're not telling the exact character limit simply out of fears of people adding filler until they pass it. Jayn would probably be able to shed a little more light on how she arrived at the number, but it's meant to reward those who put work into their posts while not being unachievable. I think that as time goes on you'll begin to get a feel for it.