Say My Name

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by strfruit, Apr 26, 2013.

1. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

The other day in class, my professor mispronounced a student's name.
    Yup....doesn't seem like such as big deal, right?
    However, this student was pretty ticked off by that. Literally he stood up and yelled at the professor that it wasn't said correctly. Was a bit surprising how this little mistake made him so angry. Yeah, it's been five weeks in that class so far and my professor should somewhat know our names by now, but it wasn't something I wouldn't think one would really be that angry about.

A few of my professors call me by the wrong name or mispronounce it (and my name is pretty simple), but it isn't really a big deal to me. I would never really be upset about it.

There's also the matter of making new friends and they forget your name. So to say I make a new friend and we don't get to see each other for a while and they call me by the wrong name. (College is a good place for this! @.@)

So out of curiosity, do you guys think it's a big deal to be called by the right name? Does a mispronouncing of your name bother you?
    Do you say something when it is said wrong or just let it pass?

Share your feelz.
    =)

2. Xalxe Merlin's Housekeeper

no i think its not a big deal i mean its never happened to me before

3. Mish smiley day!

I used to have a teacher who would consistently pronounce my name wrong. The first few times that he mispronounced it, I would correct him, but after that I gave up. However, the rest of the class noticed that he was still mispronouncing it so they would correct him on my belhalf.. rather forcefully lol. All in good fun tho.

Anyway, my name quite often get mispronounced and I'm used to it. Usually, my response is along the lines of "actually, my name is ____ but you can call me what you want". As you can tell, I don't place that much importance on the way that people refer to me.

4. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

People always mispronounce my last name. It's Slavic in origin, tough cookies for English speakers. Of course, I find it easy on the tongue. But my teachers and classmates do not agree.

This is because they do not realize that in Slavonic languages, the letter J should be pronounced as a Y. If I dictated to them the correct pronunciation beforehand, I'm sure they'd get it. I have never cared enough to do so, tho'.

5. Sara Tea Drinker

My name's VERY easy to pronounce, but it's spelled all the time wrong. I have worked at the same place for four years now and everyone still misspells my name. lol... I started to get used to it. I know a girl in my class who would always hit the roof that someone said her name wrong, though... She'd yell at the teacher every time he said it wrong.

6. Arch Mana Knight

Considering I'm in the majority where I live(Hispanic), there's no problem people have with pronouncing my name. I never tell anyone to call me by my name though because I'm fond of the shorter variations of it. If someone mispronounced it, I'd correct them and even though it's not really a big deal to me...I'm sure it'd get on my nerves if someone said my name wrong every day.

7. Mysty Unknown

It doesn't bother me. However what DOES bother me is when they misspell your name in the yearbook and other things. My name is not Bruce! However, now that it has happened a good number of times, I have been given the name Bruce Wayne. I am okay with this.

8. Odamadillo Twilight Town Denizen

My real name is very easy to say but there are several different spellings of it and quite frankly I hate it. So I ask to be called Oda in both real and virtual life. It does bother me beyond belief when people get it wrong though. People say it like O da when it is meant to be said like Odd da.

9. Aelin Best Waifu

I have a bit of a pet peeve about this, but it is something I get use to. Nothing to get totally angry about. Generally when people look at my first name they pronounce it as if I were male, since there is two separate pronunciations of it, male and female. But the male version is spelled slightly differently so I don't know why people can't figure it out. Pretty much every teacher since preschool had pronounced my name the male way when they first looked at it. So that gets annoying at times. On the other hand my last name I can't really get mad about. It is weird enough that I shouldn't expect people to be able to spell or pronounce it right, right off the bat. It does get annoying when you teacher only calls you by your last name and still can't get it right after three semesters. Anyways. In general I would say it is annoying but not something worth getting mad over

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

My name has been mispronounced, misspelled once or twice, and misheard too many times. Ross and Russ are close enough to mean people believe I'm saying the later. I'm not a fan of the later name, so I do correct people so as not to call me Russ, but that hasn't happened n years. I'm alright being called whatever other name people pick for me, but Russ seems to be the one constant I can't stand. Strange....
    Some people use to pronounce my name correctly, but in an accent to make my name sound stupid, and would say it out loud whenever the teacher called out my name. It was frustrating and belittling, not to mention annoying after months on end in the same class. Still, that's school, and school is harsh like that.

11. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

My first name isn't a problem for people. It's the last name (Arabic in origin) that confuses them. Still, as long as they can at least get my first name correct, I don't have a problem.

12. Llave Superless Moderator

I honestly don't mind if someone doesn't remember my exact name, or if they call me by a wrong name. It happens. But if someone keeps doing it repeatedly without either caring or showing signs of improvement on my actual name, that's where I get a bit annoyed.

The only account that gets me kinda confused is at work. The store manager calls me Andrew, when everyone else calls me Drew (Even says so on my nametag). I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for another guy named Andrew who is.. shall we say quite the personality. So whenever the boss calls me over on the speaker I can't tell if he means me or not lolol.

13. Aura Goddess

My last name has always been mispronounced every single time. It's rare when someone who is barely meeting me is able to pronounce it correctly, and it honestly surprises me when they do. I correct them if they say it wrong, if they ask me if they said it correctly, but I honestly kind of not care. My first name is never mispronounced because it's just so simple, and I respond to other names that people might call me (shorter versions of my name). I like the short nicknames and it's always the same since other people have called me those nicknames in the past. I don't tell people though to call me Aura because that would make me feel weird. It was a nickname that got stuck on me during high school by a few people I used to be friends with. But since it was formed among those group of friends, I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable other people I'm meeting to call me by that name.

My only issue now at work is that a few (very few. Thank God.) confuse me for another girl that I look very similar too. And it's even more surprising since her name is my middle name. At first it was amusing when people would call me by her name and I'd be all, "Oh hey. I know we look alike and her name is my middle name. hahaha" but now it's gotten slightly frustrating when people are all, "oh you're not _____, you're _____ lololol" I smile and laugh, but inwardly I just kind of want to roll my eyes and glare.

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

On occasion my name will get mispronounced, but it's pretty rare. I also prefer being called Cat, so that makes it even less of an issue. I will usually correct them if they say it wrong, but that's only once in a blue moon.

15. Patman Bof

My name is pretty straightforward, no one ever got it wrong.

However my best friend in college was named Truong Lu. Or so we thought. When I started befriending him a few months later he told me that, as I' m sure you already gathered by yourself easily, Truong is really pronounced Tee ong. As for Lu it wasn' t even his last name : Vietnamese have two last name and they picked the wrong one. Long story short, the one they picked was their equivalent of our middle name. Sort of. As for his actual last name (which I won' t put here) it' s also a nightmare. Just by seeing it you know you' ll get it wrong.

He never corrected a single teacher. One of them even called him p'tit lu jokingly, implying it was much simpler (it' s a famous French cake brand). He knew all too well that it would take freaking forever to correct any of them, and that he' d probably have to do it all over again everytime anyway. At least Lu was easy to get right.

He only revealed his real name to the people he cared about, for him hearing his name right acted as a people-i-care-about detector. Most of our other classmates thought I was the one getting it wrong when they heard me call him, I never bothered to explain either. ^^

16. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

If someone is going to talk to me, for consecutive days at a time, they need to at least learn my name and how to say it right. I'll tell someone off if they call me the wrong name or say it wrong more than once. If it's my nickname or something I really don't care.

But if you're going to call me by my real name then you need to have a little respect. You never know if someone has been teased or not in the past. This student might have been bullied. Kids might have mocked him/her by saying his/her name that way. I don't care how many people you see a day, I'm not going to respect someone who doesn't want to take the time to learn my name. I have a seventh grade English teacher who still to this day remembers my name.

It doesn't even have to be a teacher. If I'm working with someone, or my boss, and they keep calling me by the wrong name, I'm gonna let em know about it.

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

Not sure how easy it is with mine -- at least with the actual one -- just from typed words, so if anyone needs an audio clip, feel free to let me know.

My name is Amaury, and the actual pronunciation is A-mau-ree. The "mau" is like the beginning of the island name Maui and the R is sort of a soft R.

People couldn't seem to get it, so it just started being pronounced as A-mer-ee, which is what I've been going by from friends and teachers since my elementary days.

Other pronunciations include:
    • A-mor-ee
      - Teachers at the daycare I went to here called me this and my grandmother calls me this.
    • A-mar-ee
      - When the school bus driver I had sophomore year first used my name, he said it like this and not A-mer-ee.

As for mispronunciation, I don't really care. If people say it wrong, I'll correct them (I had to correct that bus driver a few times, for example), but I don't really care. Most people who mispronounce it start getting it right after I correct them. However, if they never did, I wouldn't care.

I additionally don't care about it in general. I think it only becomes a problem when it's used to tease or insult others. For example, , a friend of mine who's a sophomore this year, told me last year he was sometimes teased and called .

18. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

Folk mispronounce my name all the time. It doesn't bother me (I find it quite funny most of times) but I've heard some really strange ones where extra letters are tossed in. I can't understand how folk get to the point where McKechnie is pronounced as McKenzie or something completely different.I find foreign telemarketers the worst and I can't help but have a bit of fun with them.

19. Midnight Star Master of Physics

My name doesn't really get mispronounced but there is a shortening of my name that I really hate and will tell people when I meet them not to call me by. I don't mind reminding people and though won't answer to it as it's not my name. Although some people don't seem to get that and I give up telling them after so long. I think a lot of people think I'll react worst than I do to being called it though, as I've had it quite a lot where someone accidentally called me that and they've been waiting for me to get mad or whatever. I don't really get mad (but if you know what name I'm talking about, please NEVER call me that).

20. cstar stay away from my waifu

Well I usually do not have a problem with people mispronouncing my name because people call me cstar. Teachers clearly do not, but Colleen isn't something often mispronounced. When it is though, I don't think it's a big deal. My last name never gets mispronounced.

But I have a similar situation that goes on in my class.

There is a kid in my school with the last name Tarnovean(Tar-no-vee-in), and another with the last name Chafe(ch-ay-ff). Tarnovean is almost ALWAYS pronounced correctly. While Chafe is often over accented. Chafe always flips out because he thinks the name is simple.

Another common thing in my school is mixing up Irish names... like two classmates named Sinead and Siobhan who almost always have their names mixed up. They both get offended by it but not as much as they used to be. And for a while my family mixed up me and my two cousin's names, (Colleen, Camille, Cassandra). I never got mad at accidentally getting called the wrong name, but my cousin's did.

I know you mentioned mispronunciations... but I thought name mix ups fit in well with this too.