Response time for Roleplays in general

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Glen, May 19, 2013.

1. Glen Returned from the dead

Was having a discussion with a few friends, and figured i would ask for everyone's opinions on this matter if you wish to provide it. How long in general in your opinion, if a person has every opportunity to post, should a person have to post? From what i've seen, the standard amount is 24 hours in most cases before people are given permission to move on, but what's your opinion on how long they should have?

Also sorry if this is poorly worded (i feel that it is), i'm having trouble thinking clearly as of right now.

2. Pinekaboo Chaser

3. Arch Mana Knight

That thread is about a different subject. That's about how much time is spent on a post. This thread is about how much time a person should have to post before the RP moves along.

24 hours isn't enough. I think somewhere around a week is the perfect amount of time. People have lives, other priorities, and things that randomly come up. While 24 hours could be enough to move the RP along if someone doesn't post, some RPs around have given people two or three days before simply killing off the characters the RPer controls. That's pretty silly in my opinion because the RP creator would have to believe their RP should be the top of someone's list of priorities. There's not any kind of excuse to allow that kind of rule.

Anyways, a few days(two or three) should be given before an RP moves on, and maybe a week before people start getting killed off. That seems like the optimal amount of time to wait without having the RP become slow or being unfair to RPers who have more important things to do.

4. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

It depends. Usually, you can find me posting a post or two daily. Other times, I'd be going through writer's block, and don't have the creative energy to post anything.

5. Jayn

If the role play creator hasn't put up any sort of time frame, and it's based off of the role players themselves, I think it depends! Hopefully, someone should post when they /need/ to. I understand the feeling of being pressured to post when there's literally nothing for my character to do and no one waiting for them. That's no fun. But if someone's waiting on you, I think it's polite not to make them wait -- if you can post, and to try and post as often as you're able when the story is progressing.

It also depends on the story type and what's being required of you. I know that there are some role plays that progress tons every day because everyone is going back and forth. There are some where if you miss a day, you've missed out on a lot, haha. Then there are some where nothing really happens for like a week or two, so most of the posts are fillers and there are just a lot of ~variables~ in my opinion and I think the important thing is to not be the reason people are held behind / the role play dies, and to participate when you're needed and able. ​

On a non-individual basis, like this, I believe it's up to the role play creator. I am pretty sure you are referring to my role plays, 100 Days & Cupid's Brew, because I'm not sure if anyone else does this around that particular time frame.

In my opinion, whether it's 24-hours, a few days, a week, or once a month, it's up to the role play creator. That's their prerogative.

So long as they aren't publicly shaming anyone who doesn't follow through, or forcing people to join their role play with some freaky internet mind control, then I don't see a problem.

Role players are free-willed individuals. They can choose to join a role play, or not to. They can read a rule that says 'you must post every 3 days or you are kicked out', and think to themselves 'whoa, I have other responsibilities and can't devote myself to that' and not join. They can leave at any point in time. They can choose their priorities.

If, for example, they are in other role plays, it is their decision to ignore them. I personally have never told anyone to ignore their responsibilities or other role plays for mine -- ever. In my rules, I state very clearly that I will never harass them to post. Why? Because it's their choice! Their choice to be kicked out, their choice to devote themselves and their choice to join. I feel like assuming that a rule like that (one that is literally right there, no secret) somehow controls their actions, is belittling their ability to decide for themselves.

It is a rule that promotes communication, nothing else. If someone comes to me and says 'Hey Jayn, I won't be able to post for this week. I have a lot of tests to study for, but I'll be back ___.' Then they are excused. If someone misses the deadline, but comes to me and talks to me about it and the reason, they are excused. ​

In Cupid's Brew the rule is modified with an individualized posting schedule. The maximum time is five days, without in advanced requests for breaks or talking to me.

Though, most people post much more often than I require them to, regardless.

TL; DR

I don't personally see anything wrong with these kinds of rules no matter what time amount it is because:

> Role players are individuals and can choose not to join or what role plays to post in / what things IRL to do.
    > Rules can be worked around with communication, one of the most essential parts of a collaborative role play, in my opinion.

6. Arch Mana Knight

Things irl can come up. You can join a fast paced RP knowing you'd be able to keep up until suddenly something happens and you can't get word out. Like your internet suddenly dying or well(less likely) someone in your family actually dying. That's the point I'm making. Things come up whether you want them to or not. You can't predict the future and say you'll always be free to post. That's why it's beneficial for everyone to be lenient. Just because someone isn't busy at the time of joining doesn't mean they won't be later on. Some of the best RPers around here are also the busiest people irl. *Cough*DammitBuenoandyourvanishingforaweek*Cough*

Oh and I wasn't naming any specific RPs.

7. Jayn

Oh, yeah. I can understand that. I mean, I've missed a couple of my own deadlines because of IRL things. I just feel like if things come up, we can all work with it and discuss it, as a ~team~. Obviously I'm never going to be like 'Your __ died? I DON'T CARE, GO POST.' Pfff. Hopefully no one else would be, either ... .-. ​

8. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

That's why you notify the creator to tell them you may not be able to post. If you are having limited internet access issues, they'll /typically/ understand. No one said that face pace RP creators aren't being lenient by having a frequent post schedule. It just helps push the RP along so that it doesn't take months to get through one day.

I have the same sentiment. I mean, given the situation, I wouldn't say you should necessarily give up and move on after 24 hrs, unless there is something seriously going on in the RP and you can't wait for them. But if someone is interacting with you and waiting for you to post and you have the ability to do so, then you should try. No one likes waiting. We join RPs to get into the story and write something together. It's not fun or fair to have to wait a long time because the person you are collaborating with at the time is taking forever and a day.

9. cstar stay away from my waifu

I personally feel that 24 hours is a really short amount of time expected, for reasons such as real life situations and I know that there are regular school says where at the end of the day I just don't want to Roleplay. A week is a a good amount of time I think for people getting "kicked out or killed off" but I think 3 days to move along is too long. I feel like 36-48 hours is enough time to give a person to respond(again, without an irl situation) to respond.

This also correlates to the flow of the RP and such on. If the RP does not have a strict "End of day" deadline, then the amount of time could be more lax. In the end it comes down to the person's real life situation and the overall strictness of activity for a roleplay.