Recent Purchases Thread!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chad Thundercucc, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Got a few new records, cassettes, or CDs recently? Come share a pic of them in this thread and what you think of them, and rate other people's recent purchases.

[​IMG]

Going clockwise, we got:

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Really great jazzy/electronic album. Probably one of my AOTY so far.

This Town Needs Guns - 13.0.0.0.0

Great math rock/emo-revival band, reminiscent of American Football, but better. Great guitar work. Can't believe it's only 3 guys in the band.

Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers

I don't think this needs any introduction. Quintessential rap album, with griddy rhymes and even griddier beats.

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

My favorite Tame Impala record that fuses modern day alt rock, with neo-psychedlica. Definitely worth a listen.

Adventures - Supersonic Home

Indie rawk/emo-revival band with a female vocalists. Never realized how much emo-revival needed female vocals until I heard this record. l=

2. Karuta Reborn

This came a few days ago.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goreshit - Tomboyish love for soda pop and apple sweets

Speedcore/Lolicore thingy thats a mashup of 3 of his previous albums. Glad i picked this up but super sad that I missed the "my love feels all wrong" digipak. came with a cool sticker tho.

3. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Dude! I'm so jealous. Goreshit is amazing. Which album did he have that he made a physical release, but each cd had unique artwork, with manga page cutouts on them?

4. Karuta Reborn

that was mlsfaw. was gonna pick that up too but didnt have any cash on me at the time, was too late by the time I had money lol

5. 61 No. B

since june i've bought 3 aar albums, and like 9 green day albums. i like buying cd's but it's frustrating because the price adds up quickly and when I buy an album I feel compelled to buy the artists entire discog so it cuts a lot out of my comic budget.

i also bought a green day mug and have this shrine built on my shelf that i made. i'm not at home but i'll post pictures when i am. i also have a vinyl decal on my car that i posted in the lounge. it's pretty sweet. putting those things on is really frustrating and i didn't do the best job with placement but whatever it's fine.

6. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

Ooh, Guerilla Toss is pretty funky.

And cool! At least you still got a shirt. I was gonna get a Perfect Pussy record but then I consider that lo-fi music would kind of sound like **** on vinyl lol. I actually saw Perfect Pussy live at their New Year's Eve show in Brooklyn. It was a 21+ and up thing, so I tried using my fake ID, but to no avail. I pleaded with the bouncer, saying I would just be there to see my favorite bands (Mykki Blanco, Perfect Pussy, Jimmy Eat Acid, and Frankie Cosmos and her boyfriend were there). She made me wait a little outside, and then put me on the guestlist. I met this one dude who looked like a college student, but was actually 37. Apparently being a long-term vegetarian is the key to youth. He knew Frankie Cosmos, and I got to say hi to her and talk to her and her bf (her bf was performing, she was just there as support). Anyway, PP's set was loud as hell and just intense with energy. I even got to hold/shake hands with Meredith during the performance, I was so close. Great show.

And sweet, you should definitely see them in Queens.

Have you heard of Joanna Gruesome? They've toured with Perfect Pussy, and they're great as well. Highly recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2021
  7. Arch Mana Knight

Going to include albums I've received as gifts as well. I need to stop buying CDs to use that money for new gear. >>

Animals as Leaders - "Animals As Leaders: Encore Edition"

The first album of Animals as Leaders with new artwork, a digital-only song that's now on CD, and two unreleased songs. This is the band I associate with the word "virtuosity". Currently they're made up of two guitarists and a drummer and they've essentially perfected the method of filling soundspace with intense technical skill, interesting rhythms, and musicality. Heavy, lively, jazzy, sexy, and subtle all at once. Whenever they play live it seems like the only mistakes they make are done on purpose so no one will suspect that they are actually gods of music. Or robots who have gained sentience and a need for music.

Periphery - "Juggernaut: Alpha"
    More prog metal. Heavier than AAL along with a singer that sometimes sounds like he could have come straight out of Linkin Park. The songs on this album are super catchy.

Periphery - "Juggernaut: Omega"
    Part two of Periphery's Juggernaut album. Heavier than Alpha and I find myself skipping more songs than I did on Alpha. But dat outro on Omega. I love it when songs make callbacks to other songs. Maybe that's why I like Periphery so much. They do that kind of thing so well.

Periphery - "Icarus Lives EP"
    Not sure how or why this EP came into existence. It's mostly filled with remixes of their song "Icarus Lives". Lots of electronic stuff here. Catchy and interesting but I wouldn't call it the best electronic music I've ever heard. I don't regret buying this at all though.

The Contortionist - "Language"
    More prog metal. A more...different flavor to the other prog metal albums I have in my collection. Really cool despite the production values needing to be upped a little.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Soundtrack
    Bought the original soundtrack a long time ago about the time Type-0 came out. The HD version is definitely, on the whole, the superior version. Drums have lots of kick to them. Guitars punch through. Everything just feels so much more alive and I had thought that there was no need for the original OST to be updated because it was so good. I'm glad it was now. Plus it came with some extra goodies! Blu-Ray videos(still have yet to watch) and an album from Takeharu Ishimoto's(the composer) band The Death March which includes remixes from TWEWY, Before Crisis, Dissidia, and Crisis Core(Price of Freedom with lyrics!). Oh, and it contains music from Final Fantasy Agito and a great case that acts and looks like a book. Another plus.

8. 61 No. B

i uh... i kind of like green day.
    efv.jpg

went crazy for a bit and bought everything here that's not 21cbd, Idiot, and Nimrod in the span of two weeks.

9. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

[​IMG]

On the left we have:

Clarence Clarity - No Now

A really good experimental pop record with insane textures, musical ideas and lyrical themes. A personal 10/10 for me. This album hits all of the right notes for me.

Tiny Moving Parts - Celebration

A really consistent emo record with a large amount of math rock, pop punk and post-hardcore influence. One of their most consistent records, but the best moments aren't as good as the previous albums'.

10. Blaine Destiny Islands Resident

I recently purchased KHV, does that count? ;D

11. Hayabusa Venomous

Latest album I bought was Thrice's new one around the start of June:

[​IMG]

12. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It's like the ultimate JayneyCakes memorabilia, so yes. All this Kingdom Hearts stuff is just bonus material.

Anyway. I was just at a pawnshop earlier today and saw Within Temptation's "The Heart of Everything" which I've probably heard half of before by stalking around. Unfortunately the case is damaged but it plays fine. And the song Hand of Sorrow almost makes the purchase worth it for me alone.