Prove it.

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by jafar, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jafar custom title

Guys, no more debating. This thread is to DISCUSS your view on the matter and your view alone. Please try to refrain from debating the matter. I do realize that people have conflicting views. Also, if you are trying to get the record straight, that is another matter, but don't argue for arguements sake. Bottom line: Discuss the ability to prove God's existance or try to prove it. DO NOT TRY TO PROVE THAT GOD DOESN'T EXIST.

2. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Thank you.

It is impossible to prove a human concept that was designed not to be provable or disprovable.

Also, if a god(s) did exist the fact that they are beyond nature means that there should technically be no natural (i.e. physical) way to prove his/her existence. Proving existence would require some sort of intervention on their part.

3. daxma Hei Long: Unrivalled under the Heavens

For once i agree with you.Do you guys realise how much blood has actually been split over this very question?It adds up to billions of people.It is near enough to impossible to prove god does exist and it is also virtually impossible to prove he doesn't exist because of the people who believe.Religions were made in such a way that there is no way to prove or disprove the belief in the god in question.Personally i think that the only religion that i believe is the nearest that you can get to perfect is buddhism for it does not believe in gods but a certain way of life.

4. demonchick25 Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't think there needs to be any proof. the beleif in something can make is as real as anything else. so to do that, you have to define existance.

5. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

Ah... I did, didn't I? Touche :)

Yes, no one knows. I think God created them. You think He didn't. There's really no way to know and I highly doubt we'll ever figure it out.

Why shouldn't He be? Why couldn't a being of such complexity have existed in the very beginning? It's not like science just supports the Big Bang, either. If you try researching a little, you'll find there are some that do support the God/Big Bang too.

And yes, God wanted to create us in His one image. What's your point?

It's possible that God is a metaphor. However, I think He exists. You don't. We believe different things; there's nothing wrong with that and I don't think we'll ever know who's right.

Okay. I never said it had to be different, I said it might have been. But good point anyway.

That's true. But like I said before the flood could have been metaphor. It didn't necessarily have to cover the entire world.

But you're implying it. You say that "you" cannot do this or that, implying that therefore God must not be able to.

God is not a wizard, either. I don't know where that word came from, but it's a very bizarre word to use when talking about God.

That's true. That's why I said it could've been metaphor. Or did you miss that part? Also, I think the water could just be recycled and used for rain. You know, evaporation? The flood didn't necessarily have to be extremely deep and come from an endless supply of water. Again, it was most likely metaphor.

Since this is indeed in Discussion and not Debate, and I have already stated my opinion on the subject many times, I will say no more except this: I have respect for your belief. I understand why you hold that belief. I am not mocking your belief by saying things like "Are atheists aware of this and that? After all, they're not idiots." or "Please excuse me for choosing the most probable choice." Even though I disagree with your belief, I respect it. From what I've seen, you do not hold the same respect for mine. You may want to think about that a little.

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Was it God? Do we know that for sure? We don't. So don't resort to that argument. lol

That isn't a very adequate analogy. One can just walk outside and show you right now that it clearly isn't yellow and it clearly isn't polka dotted pink.

Though one cannot travel back 14/15 billion years (estimated time of the universe, apparently) and show you the universe forming or show you that God existed (or exists right now, even).

They are abstract idea's at best, so condescending this topic is useless. This, however, isn't only active in this topic. Any idea ever construed ever is essentially an abstract distinction, so I can hardly see how anyone can sway anyone else unless they are unintelligent or not researched in how idea's, words and physical reality work. -shrugs- But that's just me.

7. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

That's true, someone could show me. But I wasn't saying that the color of the sky wasn't provable. My point was actually that stating something is not the same as proving it. Daxma said that God was just something people conjured up in their minds. It was his opinion, but he was stating it as fact.
    If I said "I believe God exists." then that would be stating my opinion. If I said "God exists." that would be stating my opinion as fact, which you can't really do. Likewise, if I said "I think the sky's polka dotted pink." (let's pretend I'm colorblind or something) that would be stating what I think. If I said "The sky's polka dotted pink." then I would be stating the sky is polka dotted pink, not that I thought it was.

So, yeah. That's what I was trying to say. But it would definitely be a poor analogy otherwise.

8. Repliku Chaser

On that same note, you say 'God exists' and he is saying 'no he doesn't'. You have both brought up points but in the end, since nothing can be proven either way, can we keep this as not a serious debate issue but instead allow people to voice their opinions? It would be nice and has already been requested. Regardless of how you feel, voice it and no one else should have to be questioned on their own statements or 'proofs' they have for themselves.

9. Inasuma "pumpkin"

That is true. I started to think of that after I replied...XD

I think when people say something as fact, it really isn't stating it as the truth, it is just their truth. To them it is the most recent form of truth they can conjure, so immediately it is already implied as their opinion.

I was trying to point that out, as well.

10. Shizzy Gummi Ship Junkie

Ooooooh, I'd throw my hat into this but I cant put what I would say into a sentence...

Wait, did that make sense? *eats popcorn waiting for next post*

11. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

That's very true. It is implied as a person's opinion. Good point.

12. Senbonzakura Kageoshi Kingdom Keeper

there are some thing that mankind are not supposed to know. god is real if he wanted us to know then he would have revealed himself. the reason why he hasn't because we have crossed his mercy line and now he is angry at his creation. we will never know some things about him because we were not ment to. and even if we were to.... it would be beyond our understanding.

13. SplitOverload Chaser

This thread is dumb as it's thread title. You can show evidence for either sides, but you won't ever get a final answer.

14. Arch Mana Knight

God can be supported using science. If you think about statistics. God is very likely to have created the Big Bang. The chances of everything being the way they are, are just so f*cking slim, that God is a logical answer to it.
    And try not to say much about, "anyone could write the bible and it's false". Not everything in the bible is true and there are a few minor(and major) mistranslations but I personally believe in God because of the bible. I dunno. If we could travel back in time to see some of the things the bible talks about, we'd be able to prove if God existed since supernatural events occured. Otherwise...it's all about faith and hoping there is something after death.

15. jafar custom title

God can be proven using science? Where is the proof? All you said was that the chance of the Big Bang occuring was slim to none. And your proof that it happened was that it was God because it's nigh impossible for it to happen on it's on. That is not scientific proof.
    (Not trying to debate, but I'm trying to understand what you meant, since you contricted yourself.)

On a related note, the church has been saying stuff like that because science is coming up with newer explanations, so they use God to say "Hey, this Big Bang thing made the univerese, but God made the Big Bang happen." Christianity has made many wrong scientific theories. Such as that the Sun revolves around the Earth, when it's been proven that it is otherwise. So, a rhetorical question (you can answer it if you want, but I'm not trying to start a debate), if the Bible was wrong about that, as well as several other things, how do we know that it is not entirely false?

16. Juicy Chaser

You're right about them making bad scientific theories to try and support their ideas. Like them saying the world was much younger than science proved it to be - so Christians made up that rubbish (well it was rubbish in my opinion) about God planting fossils that seem older than they are to trick humans, so they dont discover the truths of the world or whatever :/

17. MSUK Twilight Town Denizen

Religion is completely based on both ignorance and stubbornness.

And that's all I have to say.

EDIT: Okay, Because some anonymous *** had to go and De-Rep Me, I thought I'd just say that this is my opinion, and I am completely entitled to it.
    You don't like it? Go throw yourself in traffic. <3

18. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

Lol a viewpoint and opinion based on utter ignorance. What you don't realise is, the reason everything happened the way it did is because it couldn't have happened any other way. The laws of physics controlled the creation of the universe.

Also, Yahweh is a god of gaps. Anywhere there is something unknown or unexplained it is automatically "God did it". Then when science discovers the theory behind the unknown, Christianity makes a u-turn (like in the example of Galileo, he said that the earth orbited the sun and he was put under house arrest for being "blasphemous". He was only recently acquitted.) and tries to use it to their advantage. In the case of the big bang, science comes up with a pretty sound theory and the church turns round and say god did it. Just because science hasn't yet fully explained it. Disgusts me.

19. Styx That's me inside your head.

In your entire reply I didn't spot anything even remotely related to science.

20. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Guys, I'm gonna say this only once.

One thing is stating your opinion and the other is going all destroyer on everyone else because you're smarter(or atleast think you are).

And using fancy words doesn't make you smarter than the next person as even if you have the finest vocabulary in the world, it won't help you being less of a jerk. I see absolutely no reason to bash on another person; And that goes for everyone here(including me if i've done it), And I don't want to hear any defiant posts against this as this is not going at anyone at personal, if you take it personally, its really not my fault.

I don't want to see(and I don't think anyone) a pretentious smart Aleck, bashing their post mainly because of their intelligence level.

Anyways, Back on topic.

I don't believe there is a way to prove either one in it's entirety, and even if the scale leans to one side doesn't necesarilly mean that it's undeniable proof.