Pro-Muslim cartoon getting controversy before debut

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rho, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

A cartoon called The 99, which is coming to Hub (formerly Discovery Kids) in January is already getting protested by anti-Islamic dickheads.

From what I gather, it's about Muslim teenage superheroes.

2. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Ok, that's just.... bad. So bad. I really don't see why anyone should care whether the characters are Muslims or not.
    Kudos to the makers of the cartoon, though. They're most likely trying to dispel Muslim stereotypes for the younger generation.

3. Arch Mana Knight

I could understand this if the show would be "overly Muslim"...but I don't even know anything about the show so I can't say this is reasonable. The same could be said about a show that was "overly Christian". I mean, when making a show with religious characters you have to be careful about how you do it. To just get them doing certain things so you get the point across that certain characters are affiliated with some religion. Similar to a show I watch(an old one) called Bonanza. Once in awhile the main characters would bring up God or the Bible to show a moral lesson or something. Just because the main characters were Christian didn't mean that it was a Christian show that only dealt with religion. If it was, it wouldn't have been nearly as good. Religion can add depth to a character. I've never really seen a TV show with the main characters being portrayed as Muslims so...this would be interesting. Only as long as that isn't the main focus.

Basically, as long as it isn't forced down everybody's throat, it's all good. 8D

4. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

1) Please, show some respect for people's beliefs or points of view. Calling someone a "dickhead" is just as wrong as what we are discussing. I'm not going to make fun of your view point, so please respect someone elses.

2) As Terra said above, I don't know what this show is about, or what it's called, so I can't nessesarly tell if it's preaching Islam. Still, I do find it a little odd that it's recieved this much bad press, that is, according to your statement. I do believe that it is good that kids may be taught different world views. When I was younger, I was always fasinated with Egyptian and Greek mythology, and I still kind of am. It's good that kids are going to be taught of different views because obviously the public school system isn't going to do it. I can understand why people dislike Muslim people; but they also don't understand that it's the extreamists attacking us. Islam, from what I've heard, is a very peaceful religion.

5. Patman Bof

Was it this ?

[video=youtube;SiYU3DZCepQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiYU3DZCepQ[/video]

I was fascinated too. Wait ... what ? You don' t learn that at school ? o_O What DO you learn ?

6. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Okay, after watching that trailer, it's probably not going to teach Ismalic views. I saw no hints at Allah or the Qu'uran. Actually, it looked like another one of those lame kids shows. It'll probably only teach them geography, difference between good and evil, and friendship. Now that I have a better understanding, I can say that I can't understand why people would protest it. I guess these people are still a racists towards the Middle East, but it's not their fault. It was Al Queda or some other extreamist group and ruined it for them.

Those were actually two different thoughts. We learned a lot about othe cultures throughout my public school years, especially during elementary school. They never really discussed Christianity though, or other ways on how human life stared. I mean, I didn't know much about my religion until I researched it myself, although I could name all the Egyptian gods. The second though was a play that we are not taught everything in science class.

7. Always Dance Chaser

As stupid as I think it is to protest a show JUST because it promotes Muslim views(which the preview doesn't even seem to), I've gotta say making a show with religious views of any kind in it for The Hub is just kind of asking for controversey.

8. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Based off of that it looks like a basic cartoon, it's just that is is based in Arabic lore. I didn't see much in there that is specifically Muslim. I understand that many people are still heated over 9-11 but many people seem so blind because of it.