Monsters and Men; The Remake

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Magick, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    "Fair enough. Stay safe, Teli." Derrick spoke as the sorcerees who had formed an integral part of the plan left. He could hardly blame her. He ceased loading the weapon before him. Without her, this was going to get a lot harder. He ignored the petty comments of the Elf. She was clearly possessed with the classical Aen Sídhe pride that humans often wrote of them possessing. There's truth in most stories. This did leave them with rather few options. Thinking about this, he was now firmly convinced that this voyage was doomed. "Veceslav, we're a sorceress down. We've got one less crew member and no answer to our other sorcerer. Aaron is a friend but this is just suicidal. If we take this ship in, we're going to die. For nothing." The Witcher crossed the ship to head back towards the docks. Even though he was talking to the Crow, he was not planning on sailing on this ship anymore. These brave fools were doomed. He could try to save his teacher, and maybe these other 'heroes' would see some sense, but it was their prerogative to die here. Only one Witcher needed die - or worse- today.
     
  2. Arch Mana Knight

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Anywhere
    2,427

    His first thought was to call the witcher leaving the ship a coward but what would be the point? Witchers were not noble creatures bound by lofty ideals such as honor. They were glorified mercenaries and that was all. Perhaps there was a point to thinking the battle would lead them to their doom. Not Enok himself of course. Though the thought of getting chained up and dropped with stones to be left to drown was not an experience he would wish to repeat. His patience, or perhaps just the Hym's patience, was already wearing thin. Were they still trying to discuss this matter amongst themselves? All that mattered was that someone needed to be dead right now. For having such limited lifespans mortals wasted so much time on talk. It was tiresome.

    He shook his head feeling his thoughts being blurred and indistinguishable with that of the specter. Did he always refer others as mortals? Or was it maggots?
    "Well are we ready to set sail or not? While you chat amongst yourselves about how futile this battle might be a monster is roaming free. A thing capable of bringing giant sea serpents to wreck this city."



     
  3. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Midland
    57
    587
    [​IMG]
    Derrick joined them on the ship as had the other witcher. He had listened to Derrick's instructions to the sorceress and he concurred with the fact that they would need a bit of help on their approach. The elf then mentioned she had no experience with sailing, which wasn't a surprise at all. He had noticed her sweet smile as he had gone on board. He had seen such elven smiles before and he had never really liked them. Whenever an elf smiled like that you were in a position where they were at an advantage atleast in some way. Or they were trying to pass something off as nothing. However not soon after people started abandoning the plan. First the sorceress, he couldn't blame her. She had no personal stake in this situation.

    However after she didn't join,
    Derrick came over to him saying it was suicidal to continue, it had been a suicidal plan to begin with... He wanted to shout at him to return, they could do this. But in the end he knew Derrick was right. It would be a painful loss... but not unlike any other student he lost during the trials or their training or shortly after they had started on the Path. He remembered every single on of them and it pained him to lose him like that. But Veceslav was the warden of witcher secrets like those of the Grasses would be lost. Atleast for the Wolf school, sure there would still be a stock somewhere but when those ran out then there wouldn't be any new witchers, not that those appeared very often these days anymore anyways, but then their school and traditions would end.

    The 'Captain' of the ship asked if they were ready to leave now. Veceslav thought for a long moment and thought it through very well. He pulled the hood of his cloak up and walked away back towards the docks. His face an unmoving steel mask, to those who didn't know him he'd look fine, those that did that something was underneath it. He kept telling himself it was for the greater good of the School of the Wolf. And maybe, just maybe Aaron would find a way out one way or another. Maybe everything would in the end turn out alright... He approached
    Derrick. "Then what do we do?" He asked Derrick.
     
  4. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,363
    [​IMG]
    Dayla was almost happy that Teliana stayed behind to protect Alyse. Dayla had grown fond of the girl that worked for her and didn't care to see her getting any more hurt in all this. That being said, Teli leaving had prompted one of the Witchers to leave, followed by the other. Dayla couldn't help but roll her eyes a little bit as she scoffed under her breath, "cowards." Maybe too many years living under the radar, a tame life without any risk or danger involved was messing with her common sense. She knew this wasn't going to be safe. Knew that it could very well end in her death, but the thought of letting these raiders sack the city and being forced to find another city to live in didn't sit well with her, especially when she wasn't fond of cities to start. Plus with the Scoai'tael still likely after her, going outside the city didn't feel like a good move. It had been years yes, but elves didn't forget easily, and they certainly didn't forgive. Leaving with valuable information, she was still a liability that they would take any chance to get rid of. Death here was probably kinder than one if she was caught.

    "So shall we go without? I am not too fond of sitting here waiting for them to ready themselves and come here to kill us." Dayla said as a passing comment like it was nothing, but in truth she was quite worried. She needed them to start moving so she could lose herself within her own mind when the fighting started. Sitting there thinking about those sorts of things was not going to help her at all.
     
  5. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG]
    Thorvald watched as the young witcher clambered on his ship, arms folded and glaring with intent. The witcher was finally captured. How under-whelmingly easy it had been. He sighed "Did ya really think it was such a great idea to go out in a boat, when a fucking sea monster was rampaging around the docks?" he scowled, shaking his head slowly. This one must have only recently been initiated. He did seem to have a lot of friends though, he thought as he looked back to the docks. He had counted two other witchers, a sorcerer, a werewolf, at the very least. Strange to find so many interesting people in such close proximity. He gazed back at the city of Novigrad one last time as the ship raised sail once more and began to drift further out to sea, the mist cloaking the skelligan vessel in its escape. Thorvald took out a pair of manacles and held them out to the witcher "I trust I don't have to force these onto ya".
     
  6. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,363
    [​IMG]
    Aaron studied Thorvald closely, trying to pick out what possible weaknesses might be. Unlike a sorcerer that Aaron guessed he might be, this man seemed strong, trained in more than just magic. Or perhaps the one causing the fog and directing the sea dragon was not the one in front of him. Perhaps he had a partner hiding somewhere else. After all it was a general assumption that usually while sorcerers were good at magic, they lacked the physical training, and thus a weakness. The man in front of him didn't appear to be lacking in physical training, which would make his life more difficult when it came to escaping, but not impossible, he was a witcher after all.

    Shrugging his shoulder he just looked at the man before him.
    "I didn't have anything to fight the creature with at a range and I couldn't very well let it destroy the docks and kill people. I did what I had to in order to cause some damage to the thing. And hey, look around it seemed to work so I would say it wasn't the most stupid thing I have done. You don't even want to know about that." Aaron laugh as the man pulled out a pair of manacles. He studied them for a minute and then his eyes glance around the ship, his figures twitching for his sword. He had honestly not thought that far ahead, the idea of the shackles bothered him to no end. His eyes rested back on Thorvald once he assessed the fact that there were still too many weapons drawn, too many arrows poised to kill. He could take out a good chunk of them he was sure, but he doubted that they would all fall before he did, leaving him very little choice on where to go from there.

    It crossed Aarons mind to make a dirty remark on the manacles, but given his position, his swagger was starting to fail him a little bit, the panic beginning to set in. Aaron ended up keeping his mouth shut and just nodding as he hopped off the rail at last and held out his hands. While the rail gave him the chance to run before, now if he was chained and fell beck it was near certain death. Taking a deep breath Aaron tried to calm his quickly fraying nerves as he took one more glance at the shore before they started to move away from it.
     
  7. CrownMoksha Crown Clown

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    On board the DenLiner
    1,335
    Two people out of out the group that had been there when he'd arrived himself had chosen to not board the boat towards the massive ship in the distance. Regardless of their decision it wouldn't change the fact that they were going to be outnumbered one way or the others. What it would affect was the number of fighters that they had. In that regard more was always better than less. Still, at least as far as he was concerned, the lack of preparations that he was able to make was still poking at the back of his mind. While his intent may have too just look at the tarven he was hearing so much about, he was still reasonable equipped. He would just have to make the best with that.
     
  8. Arch Mana Knight

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Anywhere
    2,427

    Enok looked at the sorry excuse for a crew left on the ship, as well meaning as they might be, they were not enough to engage in ship-to-ship combat but just enough to steer the ship and ram it into something. Though he would not mention this plan to the others as that would guarantee them wishing to jump off the ship. The slightest hint of guilt pressed on his conscience, the Hym's doing no doubt but as long as its bloodlust was sated it was not going to push him to change his mind. "Raise the anchor and man the sails, we're going in."





    Feeling as if he was frozen to the side of the ship Kord released his grip temporarily from his hatchet to make sure his fingers hadn't become useless. The hatchet was buried into the soaked wood of the side of a raider ship and Kord's other hand was hanging on to the damn thing to keep him from falling back into the water. He was a decent swimmer but the water was cold and he was getting tired of the cold. When was summer coming again? He shook his head, refocusing his attention on climbing up to sneak on board. A difficult task when one was soaking wet and did not have a good view of what was going on with the deck. Maybe he could just climb to the top and ask to dropped off at the next port...because raiders were so well known for their generosity of course.
     
  9. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    It looked like Veceslav agreed with him on this point. He looked gravely at his teacher and looked at the docks, then back at the others. There were scarce few of them there. The crazy leader, and the Aen Sídhe. There was another Witcher on board too by the looks of things.
    "What we Witchers do - Stay neutral, and do what we're paid to do." Derrick took a last glance at the people on the ship. "if you go, you'll die." With that, the Witcher stepped off the boat and on to the docks, and back to the realm of the sane. He'd offer to pray for their souls, but Derrick wasn't a religious man. Even if there were Gods, they were probably just as unfriendly as most of the monsters that inhabited this world. That was the way it always seemed to go. This was just another one of those days. He waited there for the Crow. They had some catching up to do. It had been a while since he had been at the Kaer.
     
  10. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,363
    [​IMG]
    While Dayla had been all ready to head in, looking to the distance the fog was growing thick again. Dayla looked to the man that was giving commands ready to sail and sighed, stepping away from her post. "Look the ship seems to be leaving now. I don't think it is a good idea to go in anymore. I was going to do it to protect this town, my bar. But if it isn't going to be a threat to those things, then I don't see the reason to pursue this. We likely won't be able to catch them anyways. They are on the move again and we barely know how to use this thing." Dayla pointed out.

    Turning around she got off the ship herself before they could get too far.
    "Maybe you boys aren't complete cowards after all." Dayla said to the witchers with a wink as she gathered her wits and put on a bit of a swagger, swaying her hips as she made her way back up from the harbour. There was some people locked in a bar that probably wanted out and Dayla had the feeling that some damage control would be needed. She just hoped that by the time she got back the bar would still be in such a shape she could open the following day.
     
  11. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG]
    Thorvald was slightly disappointed when the witcher decided to be co-operative, but didn't show it as he secured the manacles around the boy's wrists. "Aye, I suppose if yer intention was to get rid of the beast, at the cost of yer own life, ye've succeeded" the veteran pirate commented. Sometimes he forgot how selfless some people could be "But ye have now lost any chances of getting paid. I, on the other hand, have greatly increased my own by capturing ye" he explained, leading the young witcher down the ship. "See, somebody wants witchers dead. Shady guy, never gave his name. I figured it'd be a worthy challenge. It's been about a hundred years since I last came into conflict with one of yer kind"
     
  12. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    The True North.
    390
    [​IMG]
    Teliana raised an eyebrow as Derrick stepped off the boat. It seemed her own decision influenced his own, but that might be presumptuous to think. After all, they barely knew each other. Still, his own words and actions caused the others to leave the boat, and the strange man aboard it, to themselves. She almost felt bad, but quashed that feeling before it decided to overturn her choice. Her loyalty was to her niece, and through that her own survival. "Shall I leave you both to it then, Master Kaedwin, Master Forst?" Her eyes flicked to the side, to Dayla once, and then away. The efl's actions were not commendable, and it did lower her opinion of the woman, to a point. The witchers? Well she still didn't think much of them.

    [​IMG]
    Alyse couldn't help but feel a mixture of satisfaction and disappointment in the outward actions of the group. She had half wanted Teliana to rush aboard, to set all the ships ablaze, rescue the young man, and become the sorceress of legend she had heard so many whispers about from the minstrels and players. And yet, that was dangerous, especially against a foe who was clearly intelligent and scheming. She raised her eyebrows at Dayla's retreat, the action causing too many emotions for her to both sifting through them all, so she did the healthy thing and shoved them aside for later. Glancing around, Alyse didn't see any sign of the werewolf who had joined the fray. Her eyes landed back on the now singular man steering the ship, wondering what he would do now.
     
  13. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,363
    [​IMG]
    Aaron contimplated the mans words. Something wasn't quite adding up. This man had plenty of chances to actually kill him, he wasn't well protected on the boat, and with the amount of people pointing weapons on him, he stood no chance, witcher or not. So the fact he was alive and chained up when people wanted him dead made Aaron wonder. "So if the person wants witchers dead, why am I alive? I mean it would have been easier to kill me when I was on the boat right? It wouldn't happen to be because you have a conscience is it? Beside if he wants a witcher, I don't know if I could classify me as a witcher. I mean while I was trained as one and survived the trials and all, it was originally said that a witcher was born in the shadow of fate. I however was born to nothing like that. I chose to be a witcher, I asked my sister to let me become one. That wasn't the shadow of fate, just a horrible father forcing my sister to go into a horrible job to support us while he ran off." Aaron didn't sound all that bitter about his past, just stating a fact that he ended up as a witcher through means that weren't considered normal, and he didn't classify under the idea of a wticher.
     
  14. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Midland
    57
    587
    [​IMG]

    Just after disembarking he heard the elven bar tender call both him and Derrick cowards. He had been called worse, far worse. The Path wasn't easy and this too was a part of it. Derrick told him that they would do what witcher's did when they weren't paid, stay neutral, it wasn't our business. It wasn't entirely true and he felt he had taught it to Derrick in a too black and white manner, there were contradictions. If attacked by a monster the witcher would still lift his sword. If they ran into a caravan that was under attack from endrega, they would step in. The old man had struggled with the concept of the neutrality himself but he had found his way, perhaps it came with experience.

    Derrick joining him on the docks did provide the opportunity to catch up with his former student. After not having made it to the Kaer before the snow did put a little doubt in his heart that this would have been the year that Derrick would have died in a ditch somewhere or on the road bleeding out, having seen him here in Nowigrad had taken those doubts away. It was purely by chance that they had run into each other. The Crow appreciated that was the course that fate had decided to take. "We should find a warmer place to go talk, perhaps a tavern, or something." It was then that the Aen Saedhe abandoned the suicidal plan saying they may not have been cowards after all. Perhaps, perhaps not. They did leave Aaron to his fate. The mage too said something but it didn't seem important enough to warrant an answer.
     
  15. Arch Mana Knight

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Anywhere
    2,427

    And then they were all leaving. No one cared enough to seek to punish the one who brought on this attack and as much as he wanted to--no it wanted this--he could not simply just sail on his own just because he wanted to. No amount of anger from the specter would make that possible. And so their prey vanished into the mist and was soon too far gone to even attempt to follow. Desperately, Enok looked around for some other way to give chase but found none. His body had already begun to tense up as it feared the worst was to come. The Hym was not happy with this result and before he could even take a step away from the wheel a sharp pain coursed through his body, centering itself deep within his mind.

    "Fuc-" He stumbled over and attempted to grab hold onto something to keep from falling over but to no avail. Enok fell over, his eyes first becoming bloodshot then going black from the strain on his body the Hym began to place. "J-just pick another you--" The pain only intensified, his own shadow appearing to stretch and morph into inhuman shapes, as he could hear a violent screeching in his mind. Even after all this time, he never got used to the pain of failure. Getting shot by arrows? It stung. Being stabbed? That stung a little more. This? There was no comparison. He convulsed and tried to rack his brain for anyone or anything that would redirect the Hym's rage so that he would not be its victim.

    There's Witchers here you damn spirit! You're just making our lives harder with your damn tantrum! But the spirit would not be silenced. It needed blood and if it didn't get any then Enok was going to pay for it a thousand fold in the pain he would receive.

     
  16. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    "Yeah. Drier too." He added. They were all quite wet from the rain that he presumed that the sorcerer that with the raiders had called down. The Aen Sídhe girl strolled past them with a strut. He paid her words no real mind - Witchers got much worse from people on a regular basis - But he did take a passing moment to admire the behind that she showed no apparently problem displaying. He heard Teli asking whether she should come along as well. She was pretty enough, and this Witcher always appreciated the company of a good-looking woman. "If you want to hear a couple of Witchers swapping stories and all that, by all means come along." He did want to catch up with Vec too, so he'd just pitch it as it was. Speaking of Teli's company, there was one other person who was conspicuous by his absence who he was more than certain would love to hear some of Vec's old war stories.
    "Hey Teli, did you catch where Lysander got to?"
     
  17. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,363
    [​IMG]
    As she walked away, Dayla could hear something happening with the man on the boat. It was an effort of will not to look back, not to want to see if everything was alright. She couldn't change her mind again, she could sense there were eyes on her as she walked away, probably judging her actions as it was. She didn't really want any other reason for people to be looking her way, so instead she forced herself to keep walking back to the Tavern, but not before looking over her shoulder. "If you need a dry warm place, I might just know a nice cute tavern you could come to, home to all sorts of outcasts and freaks." Dayla told them. One already would know where it was, so she wouldn't wait around. Instead she quickly made her way to the bar to see the chaos that would surely be waiting. There was a pause and a deep breath before the lock clicked in the door and Dayla let them swing inwards.
     
  18. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    The True North.
    390
    THE NPC ARMY
    A group of angry looking soldiers marched up to the sorceress, her sister, and the witchers as the elf and strange man on the boat looked on. A few of the soldiers noticed the man doubled over in pain, but failed to see it as relevant to the situation, with no blood obvious on his outfit. The leader of a group, a lieutenant, stood in front of his squadron of eight men and glared at the witchers, glancing among them as though looking for something. "One of our men was bewitched into handing over his weapon, a crime that is punishable by hanging in the free city of Novigrad. We were informed by witnesses that someone similar to your description," here he looked towards Veceslav, "talked the man into giving away his crossbow. But he doesn't recall any memory of such thing, and there was no evidence of bribery on his person. What say you to these charges?"
     
  19. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Midland
    57
    587
    [​IMG]
    Derrick liked the idea of getting out of the cold rain, atleast one sensible idea that the lad had. It didn't escape the Witcher's notice that his former student took a moment to admire the behind of Dayla. This resulted in the older witcher delivering a swift, elbow to his younger student. "Behave, lad." He said quietly as Dayla turned around and told them they were welcome in the tavern. "Thank you, we will be heading over there shortly." The older witcher said, part of him didn't disagree with Derrick, she was quite something to look at, as was Derrick's enchantress friend. And the Old Crow stood there for a moment, wondering whether or not Derrick had gotten that from him. He thought of himself as while having his moments atleast tried to be respectful about it. It had been quite a few years ago he had trained Derrick, he had been young too and perhaps his assumption about himself wasn't correct and Derrick had picked it up from him. He'd have to remind himself to be a bit more careful with the young ones, as they might get some of the wrong impressions from him.

    Before they could get out of this miserable cold rain and into the tavern promising good conversation, drink and warmth they were intercepted by a few guards, he knew that borrowing the guard's longbow would cause some sort of problems, but he didn't expect the city guard to drum up a squad to actively apprehend him. "Good afternoon, good gentlemen, you appear to be mistaken, as I have no crossbow on my person. If the city guard is low on ranged weaponry, you can take my longbow and some of my gold as a donation." Veceslav said, holding out the longbow and a small purse to the lieutenant. Between Derrick and himself they could probably take the guards, but he'd rather not cause a scene in the city.
     
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  20. CrownMoksha Crown Clown

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    On board the DenLiner
    1,335
    Following the events at the docks, Lumen took it upon himself to at least start walking around to get better familiar with the area. That way if there was any shortcuts that he could find or come up with, he could use any of them to traverse around at a much quicker rate than before. It was during his walk that he noticed a couple of people form the docks still grouped together. His pace slowed down upon noticing the group of guards that had confronted them. It was impossible to make out what they were saying from where he was standing, but he got feeling that it wasn't good.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.