Monsters and Men; The Remake

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Magick, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,370
    [​IMG]
    With the Witchers settled and drinking, Dayla backed off slightly. She didn't go too far, she wouldn't miss a chance to serve them after they had tipped her well, but she wasn't going to be looking over their shoulders the entire time either. Instead she started humming softly to herself as she moved through the tavern, cleaning the few tables that had been used, Dayla kept herself busy. Some days she hated the busy work. It was boring and tiring and she would rather talk with customers or go for walk, but she could only leave when Alyse was around to keep an eye on things, and right now Alyse was outback. A few more minutes, if she wasn't back in in a few minutes Dayla would go out there. Part of her was hoping Alyse wasn't back in that time. A small part of her looked for the adventure she had in her past. Being a tavern maid was boring in comparison. Of course she didn't wish anything bad to happen to Alyse. No she just wanted to get out and feel that adrenaline again for a little bit. Glancing to the back door, Dayla walked behind the counter, running her hand across the handle of her blade as she passed where it was kept under the desk, sighing. A few more minutes and she might just have to finally draw on it again.
     
  2. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG]
    Lysander smiled in appreciation as the sorceress seemed to enjoy his tale. He smiled even wider as she brought forward cups of tea. "Ah, Tea, Thank you so much. Peracles the Thinker calls it 'liquid wisdom'. If that's true, then ale must be 'liquid foolishness'" Lysander took a sip from the hot drink, which warmed him up significantly "I am grateful for your compliments, but have found that even my most enthralling tales will not bring a smile to the lips of this city's residents. I intend to catch the first carriage out of this city as soon as I can afford one" The bard lamented. Lysander then listened as Derrick and Miss Secret spoke about the witcher's business in Vizima "I recall that encounter. Derrick here dropped me off at a local tavern and strolled into a crypt. 'Twas an hour or so later when he came back out looking like a portrait by Rukavig the Mad, using only red paint"
     
  3. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Midland
    57
    587
    [​IMG]

    The witcher beside him told him that the only reason he was really here was simply his curiousity, well Veceslav couldn't blame him, it was the biggest city in the Northern Kingdoms with over thirty thousand inhabitants. Some even said it was the cultural capital of the world, but Veceslav had rejected that idea a few years back when some commoners started fighting amidst a poetry recital in quite a reputable establishment, but they let such hooligans in too, a client had asked to meet him there during the recital to discuss the details of a contract. After that he had rejected the notion of it being the cultural capital of the world, sure there were plenty of stages for poetry and music, but it also fell to the citizens of the city to truly make it the capital. This young Witcher was probably for his first time in Nowigrad, he remembered his first time here, the city was imposing, there was always activity going on around him, while it was nice to have access to a bed, some of the more fancy food and drink, he still enjoyed the Path.

    "Well the search for work is always part of the wanderings, Lumen." Veceslav said "Normally I would stay at the Kaer in winter, which has come early this year, meet with the others, train, exchange stories, do some work around the castle, but the snow has caught everyone off guard this year, so I doubted the others would come to the Kaer, if they did there'd be a letter on the door of my quarters explaining my absence. Furthermore I have been training another witcher for quite some time and just needed to get back out on the Path. With all the snow here, I figured I'd travel further South, wait out the winter, with the roads more difficult to travel I figured I'd hit up Nowigrad and see if I could catch a ship headed South, but it turned out the Port has been blockaded. So here we are, I'll probably stay the night and start heading tomorrow, if nothing changes." Veceslav explained, he'd have to cross the Pontar which would be easy enough even with the war on, and head through Temeria, well what used to be Temeria and was now occupied territory. Maybe the Nilfgaardians had work for him. Velen for example was still a wild place, more than a fair chance of finding work. As the people of Velen usually said: Out here you find your own protectors. And it just so happened he was a protector for hire. "So how long do you intend to stay, yourself? Got any plans for after your visit to Nowigrad?" He asked the Witcher beside him.
     
  4. Arch Mana Knight

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Anywhere
    2,429
    Kord backed away as she swung the mace again though this time she seemed to be making a warning to him with it. By the looks of her reactions and her body language he could see that anger was beginning to get the best of her and she was struggling to get a hold of herself. "I left my people in search for others like me. Those that were alone. I've known some of them to have had families." Kord shook his head. "More than some, actually. They all had something in common, though. One way or another, they slip up. No matter how good their intentions are they could not pretend that they were something else just because they willed it to be so. It just doesn't work that way. If you want me to leave, I will. Like I said, I don't intend you any harm. But sooner or later, you might slip up. And you'll need someone who truly understands what you're going through to have your back. When you do, I won't be too far away."

    He began to back away towards the door, refusing to turn his back on the girl figuring that she might still try attacking him.
    "I know that you've killed those who've caused trouble for you or those you care about. Protecting family is admirable. Really. If you were some unhinged cold-blooded murderer who killed everyone who even dared to look at you wrong I would not have bothered speaking with you. You would not have been the kind of person I'd be looking for. You know, being a sorcerer or an elf doesn't come with the same kind of stigma or violence being what we are comes with." Kord went to reach for the door. "Even if they accept you for what you are, and I have no doubt they would, you're always going to have hold back. You'll never be free."
     
  5. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,370
    [​IMG]
    Taking the tea as it was offered, Aaron backed off from the conversation for the most part. He was happy to return to the wall in which he was leaning against and listen to the conversation as it happened around him. The sorceress seemed more interested in Derrick and his tale, and frankly Aaron couldn't blame her. He had no stories of epic adventures to tell... well not yet, he would soon, he just needed to find a place to start. Perhaps even Derrick could help with that after they were done here. That being said it seemed that Derrick also wanted work so Aaron might also just be plain out of luck on that front.

    Glancing out the window, Aaron remembered the job that he said he would do and put down his cup of tea.
    "If anyone needs me, I will be seeing if I can build a greenhouse." He stated as she swung his coat over his shoulder. He didn't really feel like putting it back on, but also knew that it would only be a matter of minutes before he regretted that decision. Perhaps if he worked hard enough he wouldn't need it eventually, but for now, on this chilly day, he would be stupid not to.

    Stepping outside he knelt next to the building materials left by the sorceress. He would still need some sort of mud or clay to hold the parts together, and in this weather he couldn't just make it here, the ground was too frozen to collect anything of use. Not wanting to venture far and not having the money to purchase the resources needed, Aaron opted to just try and get the general shape figured out. He could stack the block and while they wouldn't be stable, at least he would have a general idea when he did get something to hold the pieces together. Knowing that is was best to build in triangles, Aaron quickly found himself trying to make a pyramid out of the material he had, while silently contemplating what he would do if he couldn't find work here.
     
  6. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    The True North.
    390
    [​IMG]
    Teliana couldn't help but quirk a small, cynical smile at Derrick's response to her joke. "Not all monsters wear fur and bear fangs." She commented, her voice a little quieter. Both Lysander and Aaron took their respective cups and sat back, Lysander with elegant thanks. She mock pouted in his direction when he said he was catching the first ride out, before twirling a lock of hair around her finger. "I suppose, it can't be helped if the residents refuse to take happiness where they can get it. But you never know what a new day might bring. And I sense that your witcher friend might be bereft, should he lack your company." Their conversation was interrupted briefly as Aaron announced his departure to the outdoors, getting up and getting his jacket. Teliana watched him go, her eyes piercing even as the smile remained on her lips, before turning her gaze to Derrick as the door shut.

    "A Striga.." Teliana shuddered a little at the thought. Her mentor had been with her to face the only one she had ever seen, and even then, with his trained hand at her back, she could recall with startling clarity how fast her heart had pounded. "I wouldn't relish another encounter like that." She commented, tilting her head at Lysander's reference. "Although I haven't been gifted enough to see those particular works of art, Master Antoinarre, your words stir an image that I don't find comforting." Despite not being entirely comfortable with the witchers, Teliana didn't want to see them harmed, really. Threatening her person was one thing, but they had been kind so far. Aaron was even doing as he had promised, and trying to build her green house. Glancing out the window, seeing him stare at the pieces caused another smile to tug at the corner of her lips; for all the world the younger witcher looked like a puppy.

    "The nobles didn't mind that you slaughtered their kin? Even though she wasn't human anymore, I suppose they would want nothing to do with her once she was cursed." Brushing her hair behind her ear, she took another sip of tea. "There isn't really a cure for that sort of thing, is there?"

    [​IMG]
    Alyse shook her head, clearing her vision one more time before shoving the mace violently into its sheath, rubbing her wrist after doing so. "Why don't you go back to those slippery friends, then? Clearly they desire your company more than I do. I would hate for them to have to suffer your absence." Each word was hurled out in a scathing voice, much the same way one would throw acid at an enemy. Because that's all Kord was to her. In Alyse's world, there was very little that was allowed to be placed in the grey area of her mind. You were either a friend, a non threat, or you were an enemy and a problem. RIght now, Kord fit into that black area that wold have made the hackles on the back of her neck rise. As it was, she had to hold herself back from attacking him once more. She couldn't give him any proof to his story, anything other than his word for the witchers to believe. Dayla would take her side in a heartbeat, but she didn't like their chances against two trained killers.

    Alyse couldn't help but laugh at the words that
    Kord kept spouting out. "Do I look like I need a protector? Go find some other girl to swoon over your sweet words and stalker ways. I've been doing just fine the way I am." She didn't need to justify it to him, either. Clenching her fists, Alyse stalked past Kord, walking around the corner to the front door of the inn to open it. "Dayla, I need air. Keep your pointy stick close." Slamming the door with an attitude only anger could bring, Alyse turned and stalked off towards the abandoned streets of the poorer part of town. Begging whatever gods existed to send a murderer or rapist her way, she tossed her hair over her shoulder before taking the darkest road she could find. Anything to take her mind off the last few minutes of her life. The way he had acted burned her, as if his words had been made of silver and stuck like slivers underneath her skin. Making it seem as though they could belong, with what they were. What she was. There was no proof he hadn't been lying, and honestly, Alyse could think of a million excuses for why she hadn't been able to beat him black and blue in ten seconds flat. It didn't matter. He was obviously fine with how he was, what he was. And Alyse would have sold her soul if it meant she could go back to the way it had been before.
     
  7. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    "My friend is too kind Miss Secret." Derrick corrected. Lysander probably wasn't paying attention to time at the time, or maybe he was just exaggerating his abilities. Ordinarily, he would not have been wrong. An hour it would have taken usually. But that was a special case. "It was more like several. Most of the night." He couldn't say that he understood Lysander's reference to art and such, but by the sounds of it, it was an accurate picture. He had got back to Lysander later than expected that night on account of receiving medical care. He saw Aaron leave to outside. He suspected that the young Witcher felt slightly upset that he and Lysander had interrupted the conversation. He almost felt bad, but he was enjoying the tea he was being given and the conversation. The sorceress then asked a question, though it may have been rhetorical.
    "There is. I wound up looking like Lysander's painting because of it." Derrick answered. He hadn't ever told Lysander the details of what happened then really. He had only half completed the job. It was lucky that Veceslav would go on to finish it. The Witcher sipped his tea "Strigas have an unusual cure. The crowing of a rooster at dawn will disrupt the curse. If you prevent the Striga from returning to its coffin until the rooster calls out, then you can turn it back. If it was a matter of killing the creature then I wouldn't have faced as bad a situation as I did. Her parents wanted their daughter back as unharmed as possible. I held the damn thing off from midnight till dawn." He remembered the intensity of that time. Two killers, but one whose blade was stayed. Axii kept the Striga down for a while, but it could leap up suddenly. He thought he had disabled it with his first cast, but it leaped up and almost disembowelled him. Time had never passed so slowly.

    "I've never had a job like it. I fought for hours, catching breaks only when I could disable it with a sign, but only for a while. It's only because I kept some of my teacher's most potent potions that I actually survived the night. Heh, I've never been so happy to hear a rooster." He couldn't recount the whole event as well as Lysander could, and in truth he didn't want to talk about it much. He was a professional, and the fact that he forgot to give an amulet to suppress the curse's return was an oversight on his part. "It was worth it though. The family awoke to a young lady screaming that a Witcher was dying in the crypt. I was well compensated for the effort. Honestly, that job paid for this armour and the next month or so of getting around." The latter part was true in more ways than one, a thought that made him smile. He never grew up.
     
  8. CrownMoksha Decimo

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2011
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    On board the DenLiner
    1,339
    As he was told the tale form the witcher, Lumen did the polite thing and sit quiet while listening to everything that was told to him. What he was told shouldn't have been too much of a surprise when compared to what he had planned to do in general. in fact the hadn't really given it much that as to what he would do upon leaving Novigrad. "That's quite a lot that you have on your plate, certainly more than me. I'm still uncertain as to what I might be doing once I leave." Admittedly he hadn't given it much thought, something that taking into account his primary reason for being here was the rumors he's heard, made sense.
     
  9. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG]
    "I'm sure Derrick could manage without me for a little longer" Lysander replied to Miss Secret. The bard then shut up as Derrick began to recount the details of the adventure. For perhaps the first time, Lysander was listening in awe to Derrick. "By the gods Derrick, why didn't you tell me? That encounter would make such an INCREDIBLE song!" He grinned "The Tale of the Witcher and the Striga! How one man spent a night holding back a woman in a monstrous form, suffering many injuries on the way! He could have ended it at any moment with a swift sword strike, but held back, and eventually saved the life of a young woman!" Lysander was smiling from ear to ear, his creativity working on overdrive as he thought up ways he could tell this story. What sort of melody would go with it? An ominous dramatic tune obviously, ending in a triumphant crescendo. He also began to realise that hanging around the witcher was a great source of inspiration.

    [​IMG]
    The sea serpent roared, a thunderous bellow of primal fury, before smashing its head into the jetty, demolishing the wooden structure. It descended into the water with a splash, swum underneath a ship, and moved upwards violently. The anchored ship shook, creaked, and began to split apart. The serpent continued on its path of destruction, thrashing around the bay. Thorvald simply watched from is longship, emotionless expression as he waited for the inevitable.
     
  10. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    The True North.
    390
    [​IMG]
    Alyse stormed down the street, muttering about men and curses and how much life sucked because it did. She just wanted to go to, stay in the nice warm tavern, and eat free food. Maybe even have an ale after her shift was done. Then go home, curl up in her bed, and dream about chasing rabbits and tearing them to pieces. Hunting dreams usually occurred close to the full moon, closer to her forced Change. She didn't much care for them, or the sickened feeling she woke up with, or the cramps in her legs that needed to be massaged before she could get out of bed for the day. At least in the dreams, she was sure of who she was, of what she was. What Kord said so much didn't bother her as how he said it. He was sure of who he was, he had found his place in the world. But Alyse had been something before she was turned. If Teliana had found her and she had been her magical normal self, she still could have taken her away, and there wouldn't have been lies between them. There wouldn't be this space that she felt the couldn't overcome. Alyse had debated her ability to become free of the curse, to be cured of her monthly problem. But her knowledge of that was little to none, and at this point she enjoyed the power, the speed and the strength that came with it. What did she want?

    The scream of a monster turned her head towards the docks. Alyse paused, uncertain whether it had been a figment of her imagination. She took off running when the sounds of crashing and the rumbling of waves followed. Darting past the people who were running in the opposite direction, Alyse didn't make it past the entrance to the docks before she saw the thrashing of the giant monster. The creaking of wood as the....whatever it was smashed them to bits made Alyse think twice about jumping into the water. Hopefully no one happened to be on the ships when they were destroyed. I don't have the tools to deal with this.....But she knew someone who did. Whirling around, Alyse turned and sprinted towards the merchant district, towards her home with Teliana.

    [​IMG]
    Teliana's eyes appraised the witcher in a new light as he regaled them of the tale. Lysander was apparently also hearing this for the first time as well, given his reaction. She bit her lip, dearly wishing to ask to see the scars from this encounter. That might have been a bit inappropriate, and normally Teliana wouldn't have cared, but given that her subject would have been a witcher, she thought it best to refrain. That didn't stop her from asking about the potions, however. "You wouldn't happen to have any of those potions on you, would you? I would love to see what makes them so powerful. My own tonics are not nearly as useful."

    Clearing her own cup to put in the wash basin, she turned with a raise eyebrow and a smirk in
    Lysander's direction. "Are you sure you could manage without him?" She asked the bard, just as the door flew open. Alyse stood there, breathing a little heavier than normal. "There's a...a thing. By the docks." Her eyes swept the room, narrowing, but then returned to Teliana. "I can't handle it." Teliana frowned, before turning to look at her guests. "You have your chance to earn your keep, Master Kaedwan, and probably at a finer establishment then mine." She said, trying to imagine what could possibly have Alyse so frazzled. Grabbing her medicinal pouch that was always by the door, she slung it over her shoulder. "Would you like to come as well Master Antoinarre?" Realizing her poor manners, she gestured towards her niece. "Forgive my manners, but this is my sister. Sister, this Lysander Antoinarre the bard, Derrick of Kaedwan the witcher, and the one you probably upset in running in here is Aaron the witcher." Right. With that being said, Teliana turned and walked out the door, walking quickly in the direction of the shipyard.
     
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  11. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    "Well, I'm sorry I robbed of you of a good story then Lysander." Derrick smirked, enjoying for once having the bard's attention. He was never particularly bothered by Lysander being the focus of matters with his genuinely incredibly storytelling, but because of that he was pleased with himself for flipping the table on this occasion. "Now you know, I'll expect to hear it sung in a day or two." Knowing the bard he could probably come up with something that quickly. Miss Secret was also evidently curious.
    "We Witchers have our own secrets I'm afraid." He answered. "Besides, our potions are toxic, only slightly less to us." Also, he was out of Veceslav's more potent Swallow potions. So she wasn't going to find out anything about those from him. Before conversation could go any further, the door opened and another woman swept in. His medallion vibrated a little more intensely, but he didn't have time to focus on that right now. There was a thing at the dock. Considering Miss Secret was being called, it was probably serious. He slammed the teacup down on the counter, splashing a little of the drink left in the cup and looked at her, ready to sprint off to the docks. Apparently this was Miss Secret's sister. That meant she was probably a sorceress as well. As their host made their way out the door, Derrick rushed out after them.
    "I'll go ahead!" Derrick shouted, sprinting towards the docks. Considering the sorceress sister's reaction, it was probably a monster. She likely had power of her own, meaning that it was more than she could handle. That meant that it was bad news. The silver sword at his back flashed out of its sheath and into his hand with a swift and elegant movement. It was time for business.
     
  12. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,370
    [​IMG]
    Kneeling on the ground Aaron worked on what he could do with the greenhouse. It wasn't going too well, not without the supplies to hod the building materials together. It was too bad he didn't have a sign to help with that, he had one to destroy things, he knew how to do that well enough, but create? Aaron was just getting frustrated with his little project when a girl ran past him. First Aaron looked up to the girl, curious about her as his medallion went off again. However before he could act he overheard the conversation happening just inside the door. Looking up Aaron put down the pieces that he was working with as Derrick swept by him, already on his way. No way was Aaron going to miss out on a chance to actually be in on the action, the adventure. Besides this was his home, he grew up in the town, he needed to be involved in saving it from a threat.

    "Don't think you get to just up and be the hero again, leaving me behind." Aaron joked slightly, running to catch up with Derrick. He knew it wasn't necessarily the time to joke, but Aaron tried to go about things in a more light hearted manner, even if he was taking things seriously. His hand reached over his shoulder lingering over his silver sword, but Aaron stopped it before he pulled it. It was possible this wasn't a fiend or any other sort of unnatural monster. If that was the case then he wouldn't need the silver sword, but the steel one, and he would waste unnecessary time switching out swords. Assess, prepare, then fight. That was always the rules. He had to slow down his thinking and reactions to account for all the steps, as if it was left up to him, he might just skip to the last one.

    Part way towards the docks Aaron veered off from the main path that most would take, dodging through a couple narrow allies. He then hoisted himself onto a lower building, running across the top before jumping to a higher one. It was a short cut that he remembered from when he was young. More than that however it also offered a better view of the harbor.
    "Holy ****..." He murmured to himself as he caught a glimpse of his head. Reaching to his pouch, he checked to make sure that he had the swallows that Vec had given him to start him off. Aaron had a feeling he was going to need them, and all the help he could get from Derrick. While he often acted confident, he wasn't stupid, he knew that he couldn't take this on as his first real task outside the safety of the school. That being said there was not a chance he would sit it out either.
     
  13. Vladek515 Hollow Bastion Committee

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Midland
    57
    587
    [​IMG]

    The witcher beside him listened to the story of the Old crow and listened politely, but he didn't really expect an as thorough answer from the younger witcher, he himself didn't really plan his moves back in the day and just saw where the roads would take him, but as he got up higher in the hierarchy he also learned to set out atleast rudimentary plans which would eventually grow into more well thought out plans. The kid didn't have as much on his plate. "
    Don't worry 'bout it, something will draw it's attention to you, it's the way of the Path." Vecslav said as he finished his drink.

    Something drew his attention, it started as a faint sound but increased in volume, Veceslav had already paid for his drink including a tip. "
    Lumen, I gotta go" Veceslav said suddenly "Good luck out there on the Path." the old Crow got up and headed through the door having ignored the vibrating of the medallion that was caused by the two returned people, one of which quickly vanished again. Stepping out in the streets he breathed in the cold air through his nose, he enjoyed it for a moment and then went for what had drawn his attention inside. It was the sound of metal striking metal. A call to attention. The tolling of the bells, it could mean a few things. A fire in the city, Nilfgaardians at the gates, the blockading pirates making an assault. He heard screaming down the street and started running in the direction, he saw people run down the street and tried to stop one in the street, but they kept running he tried several more times and he only got a bit of stuttering out of it and all he really got out of it was something about a monster at the docks, so Veceslav figuring he wouldn't get anything more sensible out of the panicked populace drew his silver sword and ran against the current to the docks.
     
  14. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Derrick evidently enjoyed the attention he was getting, and Lysander couldn't blame him "You should be sorry my friend, it's a story about you. Your favourite kind" Lysander smirked before sitting back again and letting conversation happen around him. His thoughts were occupied by thoughts of how best to structure the tale, and he was completely zoned out when the women suddenly arrived and made a fuss. All of a sudden everybody was getting up and running about and Lysander fought to not to spill his tea in the process. Miss Secret asked him if he'd like to come see the "thing", and he smiled adventurously in response "Anything that can only be described as a 'thing' is surely worth a look" He stated. Miss Secret introduced her sister, and Lysander gave a quick appraising glance. The Secret Sisters, that sounded like it could be the name of a saucy song, one Lysander silently hoped would turn out to be non-fiction and sung in first person. Nevertheless that would have to wait, as right now something was happening. Lysander slung his lute over his back, grabbed his cloak and ran outside to follow the others.
    Lysander was not an unfit man, over the last few years he'd travelled plenty and become relatively athletic, especially at running. Usually from bandits, monsters, and ex-lovers. Yet he was still only human, and could not hope to keep up with the witchers or whatever the Secret Sisters were. When he finally arrived at the docks, panting and wheezing, he was almost too tired to notice the... thing. Clearly Miss Secret's sister did not have a large vocabulary. What she described as a "thing", Lysander would describe as a F*CKING MONSTROUS LEVIATHAN FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE DARKEST LEGENDS WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

    Thorvald smiled as several individuals began to arrive at the docks. Though his ship was far away, the distinctive steel and silver swords of the witchers were a hint, and who else would willingly draw weapons against such a creature. They had arrived sooner than expected. Nevertheless, the plan would go as expected. Around him, the Skellige pirates were standing firm. They knew the beast would not harm them, and they'd spread the word of their captain's plan. He turned away from the edge of the ship and gazed out to sea, as a magically induced mist began to seep past their ships towards the city.
    Meanwhile at the docks, the serpent stilled for a moment, and stared at the newcomers with baleful eyes. Its head was the size of a pony, and heavily scaled. Its teeth jutted out from its mouth at angles and looked like they could easily crunch a man in armour. After this brief moment it turned back around, aiming to chomp a ship which held an unlucky fisherman.
     
  15. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    The True North.
    390
    [​IMG]
    Alyse remained silent in the company of the strangers, though at Lysander's comment her lips twitched upwards in the semblance of a smile. She turned away before Teliana could comment on it, and walked out the door. Everyone seemed to leave pretty quickly, spurred on by her apt description of a "thing". The two witchers ran ahead, with Teliana, the other guy, and Alyse not too far behind. Watching them run off made Alyse feel strange, as though she should race to keep up with them, perhaps even beat them; establish herself as a leader and not just a follower. That was more then likely the furry side of herself talking, and so she made a point to remain by Teliana's side, even though the Lysander the bard was there as well. She didn't try to make conversation, and ignored his presence until they caught up to the other witchers at the docks. Alyse was the friendly one, even if he was funny. One witty comment didn't make him a good person. Rounding the corner, she stopped, Teliana almost running into her back. The giant "thing" was still there, tearing into boats. It was...intimidating, even for herself.

    Apparently noticing the presence of the witchers, perhaps because they weren't running and screaming in a different direction, the
    creature paused to stare at them. She shivered under its gaze, her fingers reaching out. They were meant to grasp onto Teliana's sleeve, a habit she had developed for comfort since her younger years. Instead, she latched onto strange fabric, foreign skin. Startled, she looked over to see her hand had grasped Lysander's sleeve instead. Alyse's lips parted in surprise as she withdrew her hand like she had been bitten. "I...um." The sound of water splashing drew her attention to the serpent, which was turning to attack a boat. Her focus honed in on the helpless fisherman upon its decks, and without another thought Alyse darted forward, using her enhanced speed and strength to leap over the gap between the dock and the boat. Landing as she rolled, she grabbed a fistful of shirt from the fisherman and, praying that it held, yanked him overboard with her. The water was freezing, and she near inhaled water in shock. The crash of the sea serpent into the boat was muted underwater, but it forced her into action. Dragging the fisherman to the surface, her hand still on his shirt, she forced her other arm and legs to work, swimming towards the end of the dock as quickly as she could.

    [​IMG]
    Teliana grinned in open appreciation of Lysander's comment, as movement caught her eye. Alyse was turning away to...hide a smile? Teliana didn't have time to comment as her younger sister left the room and she dutifully followed. Derrick shouted that he would lead the way; typical hero. Aaron went with him, probably to keep from being left behind with the lesser folk. Teliana didn't mind, her hands were busy in her medicinal pouch as she walked, mixing together a certain powder that could be classified as explosive.

    Alyse was gone from her side in a flash, darting towards the
    serpent and then over the edge into the water. Teliana hadn't had time to see the fisherman before Alyse grabbed him and toppled overboard. Her heart stopped at the thought of the blonde woman in the freezing water, but as the serpent crashed into the boat where they had been, she redirected her attention. "Lysander, you might want to stand back." It wasn't that the fire would hurt him; it just might make him nervous. People didn't generally like to play with the flames like she did. Calling two small sparks into life in both her palms, she let them grow into fireballs the size of her head before launching them into the serpent's side. It was less of a move to do damage and more to get its attention away from her sister. As always, the energy didn't leave her until the warmth of the fire left her palms. She didn't enjoy the feeling, but conjured another flame to her hand, running forward. The less distance between her and her target, the better.
     
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  16. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,370
    [​IMG]
    Alyse came back in and immediately left right after. Dayla didn't see any sign of the man who Alyse had been dealing with. If all went well, he left, but Dayla had to keep an eye out to make sure if he did return there was no problems with him. Walking away from the counter where she kept the sword hidden, she tried to relax slightly, but it wasn't working out too well. She was a worried about Alyse, but couldn't follow after her. She had to keep an eye on the shop after all.

    Pacing around Dayla was starting to get a little bored when she heard a noise that sent the witchers out the door. Dayla followed shortly behind looking out the door at what was going on beyond. It seemed like some sort of attack or something, but there was not a good view. Running back inside, Dayla ran to her bedroom grabbing her bow and arrows from a chest and ran back down out the door, ready to go investigate. She had only gotten a few steps away from her tavern before stopping and looking back. While her heart ached for the thrill of battle again, she knew that she had to stay with her shop and protect it. If she ran down to the battle, then her shop was left open to be stolen from. Plus if she left, there wouldn't necessarily be anyone to keep those who couldn't keep themselves safe, safe, in this part of town. Chances were anyone who could fight would head down to the action, that left other places vulnerable. Dayla decided to retreat back to her shop keeping the doors open for anyone to come in and find refuge if need be. Returning to the bar she strapped her sword to her side and slung her quiver across her back. If anything did come this far, she wasn't going to be caught off guard.
     
  17. Arch Mana Knight

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2007
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Anywhere
    2,429

    A girl went to the abode Enok had kept close to and not even a minute later the occupants quickly vacated and headed out, grasping their weapons. The itch tried to pull him into following after the group but there was no sense in throwing himself into battle just yet. As they disappeared out of sight he could now hear a commotion in the distance coming from the docks. He lingered for a while mulling over what he would do next as he was certainly in no hurry to play hero and make himself known to two witchers. Though tempted to turn around and break into the house, knowing it must have belonged to someone from the group, it would hardly be as revealing as seeing them fight. And perhaps, he hoped, along the way the Hym would chose a different target. One that was not a witcher or flanked by two witchers. Of course, once it made its mind there was little in the way of changing it.

    And so Enok followed after the group making sure to keep a good distance from and even letting them get out of sight since he knew they would be heading towards the docks and all he had to do was simply get there in a slower pace. Several people ran in the opposite direction right by him as he neared the docks and as he drew closer he paused upon spotting the group once more. Enok stepped forward and raised an eyebrow as he gazed upon the beast they had arrived to combat against. He glanced down at his sword then back at the serpent.
    "For once, my sword's not big enough." He mused. Enok kept back, wanting to see the first move the others made first without standing in their line of sight. The auburn-haired woman revealed a talent of her own as she launched blasts of fire at the sea snake. A fire mage. And a strong one at that. His eyes scanned the area and along the water he could see a mist rolling along the water's surface soon to approach the docks. He stepped back and kept out of sight knowing now was not the time for him to step in.




    Kord had long since left the tavern grounds feeling disappointed and more than a little angry at himself. Had he more experience in the social realm he would have easily deduced how he could have approached the situation better but, at the moment, all he could tell was that he had done something or said something wrong. He thought he had been polite enough. Perhaps it was the girl who was crazy. After all she did immediately start swinging a mace at him with, to his mind, no provocation. He had not seen aggression that high since he was young and fending off the elder children who sought to exert dominance over him only to fail. Fun times. He smirked at the memory.

    In the distance he could hear screams. He turned his head to look around only to see nothing.
    "What?" Curious to see what the commotion was about he followed the source of the sound finding that it was coming in the direction of the sea. He had kept his distance from the docks on the off chance any from his pack decided to come looking for him though, from what he could tell, none had tried following after him. Still, the thought of being recognized from anyone at home was enough to keep him moving from one place to another.

    By the time he had finally made it to the docks Kord's eyes first settled on the sight of the girl rather than the looming serpent or the fire mage in the area. A part of him wanted to transform immediately. If witchers saw him actively help fight this thing would they really try killing him afterwards? ...Yes...they probably would. Or maybe not. Not all witchers were the same and even if they came after him it wouldn't be a problem for him to simply outrun them. As he thought it over he watched the girl had made over to a boat to get some sailors out of harm's way, probably damaging their egos in the process. She had refused to come along with him anyway and, given her attitude, there did not seem to be much he could do to harm their "relationship" if he turned. If, by some miracle, they all survived this and the witchers didn't want him dead perhaps it would act as a positive influence on her. If not...there was always the next city.

    Kord closed his eyes to call upon his primal instincts deep within and inhaled deeply as he focused those thoughts onto the serpent. He opened his eyes and kept them fixed on the sea beast.
    "Like they say," there was a deep growl in his voice as he spoke, "you only live once."

    The heavy thudding of massive paws could be heard and before the blink of an eye a white blur leapt off of the docks, claws ripping apart the wooden planks underneath as it crashed onto a small fishing boat nearly capsizing it underneath the creature's weight. The werewolf rose to its hind legs and bared its fangs with its gaze of bloodlust transfixed on the serpent. The wolf jumped again instantly closing the distance to sink its claws and fangs into the larger monster and begin tearing at its scales with reckless abandon.

     
  18. al215 Kingdom Keeper

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    118
    761
    [​IMG]

    Derrick's mad dash to the docks came to a grinding halt as he witnessed the enemy before him. Around the Witcher, people screamed and fled, the air abuzz with the sound of hundreds of panicked people. Town bells rung urgently and the scene was chaos. The churning waters pulled unlucky sailors beneath their murky waves and at the centre of it all, a huge creature, the likes of which he had never seen nor heard of appeared. His medallion buzzed urgently, tapping his chest beneath his armour. Slowly, a strange mist began to roll in with the creature. Is this its doing? His hand tightened on his blade and he cast Quen upon himself with a swift movement of his fingers. At least he would survive one hit now. He needed to plan, but he didn't have time. His training taught him that caution should be used, but people were dying out here! How could he wait?

    Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Miss Secret's sister suicidally dive into the water to pull out a beleaguered seaman. The sorceress herself began throwing blasts of fire towards the creature to distract it from its ship-shaped meal. He needed an opening to do some damage. The scale were thick, the head looked to be the best spot for now. It had eyes - That had to be a good start. He needed to time his attack perfectly.

    At this point, the situation got weird.

    Even as he deliberated his next move, a ball of silvery fur flung itself from the dock onto the massive sea serpent, ripping at the creature with tooth and claw. A werewolf? In the city?

    "Does anything else weird want to happen or are we good?" Derrick muttered to himself. He forced himself to accept the situation. A werewolf had revealed itself and was trying to kill the serpent for reasons unknown. He had to decide how to handle this. The werewolf was a good distraction. The creature would hardly tolerate the wolf on its back, nor did he suspect it would be particularly happy about the fire. Mentally, Derrick made the call. He made an assumption about the creature's movement, and sprinted back towards Miss Secret. If the creature did as he expected and dived to try to shake off the wolf, then resurfaced to attack the sorceress, it would not be expecting him to be there for either and attack to the eyes or an Axii sign cast.
     
  19. Aelin Best Waifu

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    Gender:
    Female
    Location:
    British Columbia, Canada
    1,370
    [​IMG]
    There was a moment where Aaron was not doing anything but staring in awe and horror at the creature in the water. However when t was illuminated by flash of fire, Aaron remembered what he now was, and what he needed to do. He was a witcher now, he was as strong as the rest, he had gone through his training and everything already, he could do this. He wasn't a helpless child watching memo with two swords take on tasks no one else in the city dare try. Sometimes he had to remind himself jut how far he had come.

    Drawing his silver sword, he watched as a flash of silver and fangs shot past him on his right. As long as this thing helped them fight, Aaron could care less that it made his medallion go wild. Following it's lead, Aaron jumped down from the building into the misty streets below. He wasn't far from the harbor, but even so it seemed he was the last to arrive due to his momentary freeze up. Trying not to think of that Aaron turned h's focus to the monster in the water. That was sure to make things more difficult.

    Before making another move, Aaron made sure to take the proper precautions and cast Quen on himself. He silently cursed himself for not taking the advice often given to him, to carry a ranged weapon with him. Too late to change that Aaron ran down one of the docks, trying to get closer to the beast. Noticing a small boat toed to the end, he decided to take a risk. Cutting the rope, he jumped onto the boat, pushing himself towards the monster. If he could get close enough he would be able to make an stack, and perhaps distract it enough for Derrick to get a hit in as well.
     
  20. Relatively Sane Gummi Ship Junkie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    England
    60
    306
    [​IMG]
    Lysander watched mesmerised by the serpent. This was undoubtedly the biggest monster he'd ever seen, and it would be five times as large in his stories. He was momentarily distracted as Secret's sister grabbed his sleeve. He flashed her a charming smile, even though she instantly let go, and ran into the water. He was surprised how fast she could move and how far she could jump "Sexy and strong, this just keeps getting better" He muttered, before Miss Secret asked him to stand back. He turned to look at her curiously before seeing... Fire. Lots of fire. Oh gods. No. NO. Flames flickered in front of his eyes. He stumbled backwards, face pale as the flashbacks came. he always remembered the strange little details. The tragically beautiful patterns in those priceless paintings as they melted and burned. The acrid smell of smoke. All focus on reality left him, as he staggered behind a walll and leaned against it, hyperventilating. GODS that was a lot of fire. All desire to sleep with Miss Secret was gone.

    [​IMG]
    The serpent's maw crashed into the now empty fishing boat. Thorvald had to pay attention quite hard to notice all of the superhumans gathered to fight. Even a werewolf had arrived. The stupid beast had grasped onto the serpent, forgetting how terrible it was at swimming. Clutching the runed stone, Thorvald commanded the beast to submerge itself below the water. He couldn't tell if the creature was still attached, but even if it was it wouldn't be able to fight as well as grasping onto the serpent. He was about to command the serpent to rise again, when he noticed the witcher and sorceress preparing themselves for its re-emerging. Hm. At Thorvald's command, the great sea snake sank even lower and waited.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.