Making Role Plays

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jayn

This is long overdue but I'm genuinely curious so if you've got the time, feel free to express yourself. Two questions.
    1. Here on KHV...basically the same people make role plays regularly. I'm wondering why some of you avid role players don't usually make your own? There's nothing wrong with preferring to join, but I'm curious to understand your perspective. I get really excited when I see someone who doesn't usually do so in the RPA actually trying to make their own RP lol. It adds variety and results in more active RPs on the site. (As of now there are only 12 that aren't at risk of being locked shortly.)​

If you DO make role plays, what inspires you to make them as opposed to (or in addition to) joining other's?​

2. When it comes to fully Original RPs, there are only 3/12 that apply. This is, again, a preference that there's nothing wrong with, but I'm wondering what draws you personally to role playing non-original characters as opposed to creating an original role play?​

If you DO make // join Original RPs, what draws you to do so as opposed to (or in addition to) making/joining non-original role plays?​

You don't have to reply to both. No pressure, I'm just genuinely curious! (Please no one chew anyone out for their preference or opinion). I will answer my own questions, too, once/if someone else does. v:

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

1. It's not that I wouldn't want to create an RP. I would LOVE to. But every time I think I've come up with a great idea, I rethink it, and consider it to be bad. Besides, being part of two RPs already, and a full-time uni student, I'd rather not be in charge of an rp.

2. Like you said, preference. I'm the type of guy who LOVES crossovers. So original rps don't really appeal to me much. Same with non-original rps that limit the characters to a certain franchise/genre.

3. cstar stay away from my waifu

The reason why I haven't really made a roleplay on here was because my ideas are too similar to a lot current RPs. I know there's the whole thing about "there's not such thing as an original plot" but my ideas usually end up too similar to even count as somewhat original. Or even if they aren't in my heart I just think "oh that's too much like so-and-so's rp"

4. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I don't like to make my own because:
    1. I hate writing OP's. Idk... but I absolutely loath it so very very much.
    2. I never feel like my rp's are good enough. I can't spend months working extensively on an rp and get like maybe 3 sign ups and then it is dead before the pages reach double digits. It's happened enough times to become rather discouraging.
    When I do make them, I feel a sense of pride in my accomplishment for sticking to my work long enough to get it completed. That is... until it doesn't go over well, then I stop caring about trying.

I like original rp's over non-original because I feel to pressured to get every aspect of the non-original character correct. I often times take a character in a direction completely different then what I planned on and feel too restricted with non-originals. Plus, it's fun to spend time looking for just the right image and coming up with the various aspects of the character that make them unique.

5. Mysty Unknown

I'll take a crack at answering the questions.

1. I make them because I enjoy seeing how others react to my ideas and such. It is also nice to just see a community of people with a common interest participate in a journey together. Some of the best people I have met on the site is because of that actually. Joining them is for the same reason. Common interests and experiencing new bonds.

2. I stopped making Originals. They always had very little attention. I genuinely thought my ideas were good and even asked for help on some of them privately by others but they never just made an impact on other RolePlayers so they slowly went into the vault of locked RPs. Personally, after playing a few RPs with OCs, I have come to enjoy them more because you aren't hiding behind a mask but instead flowing your emotions into a character of your own heart and mind. When you take a character for example in Crossover Cove, sure it is fun to play as a character from one of your favorite media, but the connection between people is lost in the character's limited emotions. Let me take SAO: Side Stories for example, I am much more emotional and attached to my characters which are OCs then I am with the characters I have chosen in Crossover Cover to represent.

6. Arch Mana Knight

Video games(Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy come to mind), music(generally instrumentals), or even movies...or anime. I draw my inspiration from a lot of places. I don't really have any sort of answer as to why I don't join certain other RPs. Well, actually I do. I've seen quite a few RPs that take unoriginality to the extreme. Sometimes it's fun to let go and roll with it but other times I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm classy like that.

It's easier. Working with an existing universe is so much easier for everyone involved. If an RP is based on an anime for instance, everyone who has seen that anime would know the rules of the world. In an original RP, you must explain everything. When you join an original RP, you don't know how much leeway you have with your character until the creator tells you that you can or can't do something with your OC. If you do explain everything, it ends up being too much to read for many RPers.

Original RPs feel like writing a new story to me. Though thinking of it too much like your own story will lead to the death of the RP. It's creatively fun!

7. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

This tends to get me too. I have ideas (ones i consider to be original) and then as I start typing/writing I think "hey this sounds just like so and so's rp" and then end up scrapping the whole thing. It goes along with my whole "discouragement." Or I will poor my soul into making an rp, it fails horribly and then someone comes along a couple months later with a very similar concept and it's a big hit. Often times getting people to join rp's seems like a popularity contest. imo at least...

8. cstar stay away from my waifu

I wouldn't say a popularity contest, I'd say a topic that gets more people interested. For example, if I wanted to make an RP about say The World Ends with You... and there weren't a lot of TWEWY rps, more people are likely to join. When if I made an RP about Organization XIII, there's a lot of those... The reason why this would effect me is because I'm that person who's like "I wanna make another Org XIII rp!" and everyone would be all "yeaaaah it's old."

9. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I understand that, but it's also something completely different then what I was referring to. Those are two different rp concepts. I'm saying like if there are two rp's of similar nature, typically but not always, the one that gets the sign-ups and does well is the one by the "more famous" rp'er and the "lesser" rp'er gets left in the wake. That's what I mean by popularity contest. Which takes away from the desire to want to create an rp. Granted yes, most people would be like "that's when you should feel motivated to try harder so you can be like that person," and so on, but to me at least, it seems to have the opposite affect because I think "well, they are always just going to pick that other person's rp over mine anyway-- no matter how hard I try."

10. cstar stay away from my waifu

Alright I see what you mean and agree with you. I often feel like my rp would just end up being another buried rp because I'm not very well known. But I am a bit confused by what you mean when you say "more famous" rper, do you mean more well known for their rps or just more well known within the community? Or maybe both?

I also feel that people are more likely to join an RP if they know how the person running it works in an RP. Like, I know I'd join yours because I've seen your RPing and know it'd be a good time. But if someone who was really just regularly a lazy poster, or tends to rely on godmodding, I'd probably stay away from their rps. That is judging a little bit, but I might join if I see their RP seems to be going well.

11. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I do mean both, for the most part. It seems like those that are more active in the community as a whole or release just an onslaught of rp's or are close to prem/at prem are the ones that usually have the most people join their rp's. And I'm not saying they don't deserve it necessarily, but sometimes it seems like there are others that aren't as... esteemed that work hard on an rp and they get completely looked over like it's nothing. I know a lot of it has to do with interest and who is active on the forum at the current time of the rp's release which heavily plays into what Myst said earlier.
    A lot of it has to do with who is here at the time. I know personally, that there is a new rp in the works that reminded me a lot of one I created back in the fall and another member had told me "If I was active back then, I totally would have joined." It heavily weighs on interest and who is present on the forum. So while I said it seems like a popularity contest, I do also believe this notion as well. To me, it's a mixture of the two.
    Thank you. That means a lot. I try hard. I feel that way too. In the few rp's I have created, I have been hesitant to let certain members join because I'm like "I know what your style is like and I do not care for it," but since I'm such a nice person (*coughs*modesty*coughs*) I don't say anything and just except them regardless.

12. Doukuro Chaser

Reason why I haven't made anything new yet despite the several ideas I wish to apply. And I suppose there's also the fear of looking like I am copying off of someone else. It's all really scary too, when posting anything. Just sit around and wait to see if anyone even cares...haha.

Anyway, I prefer making/joining original rps since I love seeing all the new ideas and unexpected things thrown at me. Though I still love non-original rps, so having a mixture of both is always nice.

13. Mysty Unknown

You've told me this before. You were one of the people I trusted to go to help with even XD I just wonder what would happen if I gave them a second chance to see if anyone was interested or not now that the RP community has sort of boosted in popularity recently.

14. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

It never hurts to try. Lots of people bring back their older rp's to see if it will do better a second time around. There a lot of variables that go into the success of an rp. I had one that originally had no sign ups, then I brought it back a few months later and I had like 10 people sign up. It still didn't last long, but yeah... timing. And who you can trust in an rp to stay active to add to the story, so that it is interesting and helps keep members attentive.
    I also usually try to only join rp's that are still in their early stages. If I see that the actual rp is already on like page 3+, then odds are I won't join it. I'm not a fan of all that catch up work and I like to help new rp's get off the ground running.

15. Jayn

1. I make my own more than I join because there is a huge lack of Original Role Plays. Atm I have like...2 to choose from. |:

That, paired with the fact that I have very particular tastes = I'm more likely to make than to join. Also, sometimes I see an RP that appeals to me but it's made by someone who's inconsistent and likely to just drop off of the face of the earth which is never fun so I don't bother to invest myself.

2. I prefer Original to Non-Original because I like full creative freedom. I don't like playing characters that already exist or being confined to someone else's creative work. I like the twists and turns that come with being original and also the freedom to do what I want with a character or a work. For instance, if I have a really good experience in a role play and want to make a story or a Visual Novel / Game / Radio Play out of the work I've created and expand upon it, I can do that without it just being a fan-project-- being because it's mine. I also have unlimited creative freedom to move the story in any direction or do anything with my characters.

I found out like early last year or late 2011 that I really just don't like playing existing characters. It's uninspiring and annoying to me because I have to think 'what would this character do' 'what would this character say'. I understand what Myst was saying earlier about resonating with a character so deeply that you're emotionally attached. Somehow, though, even with my favorite animes, games or characters--I still feel trapped in a character when they aren't my own and I hate that feeling.

So I don't bother joining non-original things anymore. I know I won't stay active or enjoy it. ;c Also why I'm so bummed out that KHV barely has any Original RP creators, haha.