Square-Enix Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by libregkd, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Arch Mana Knight

[​IMG]

Well I guess I finally have a legitimate reason to buy this game. First Serah with her bikini outfit and now this...guess Square's desperate.

2. Patman Bof

I' m not sure letting us control an Ushiha Sasuke clone cutting his way through a world of plastic and zippers is any less of a desperate attempt at cattering to the average male teenager fantasies. ^^

3. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

This game looks decent but after XIII-2 I don't know if I'm gonna actually touch this or not...because XIII-2 was probably one of the stupidest things they ever did with an FF game. They literally ripped the idea from X-2 and DoC where they gave a side character a game, except they picked the blandest side character ever (Who wasn't even a party member in the first game) and then gave her the most generic companion ever while also taking the great characters from the first game and either turning them upside down or just putting them in a box to never be seen again.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Lots of gameplay here.

5. libregkd -

6. Luka Deafening silence

Is that Yuna outfit for real?

Also I'm considering buying this game. Maybe they finally figured out their combat system, even though I really never liked Lightnight as a character and I stoped playing FFXIII after 40 hours and never touched FFXIII-2.

7. Arch Mana Knight

Hope is back in his original outfit and Fang returns as well. ...Hope looks younger.

8. Llave Superless Moderator

Cloud outfit for pre-orders

9. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Ok, we all have to be honest with ourselves, that is an F'ing awesome costume, especially since Lightning is a serious person, just like Cloud. But is it only available through pre-ordering? Or is there any news of being able to get it after it's out?

10. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I'm not at all interested in the story (besides seeing how it ends) but the Cloud outfit and Fang have me excited. Have some good quality Fang moments and I'll be content.

11. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I think because at this point the story is just completely gone. If people think Kingdom Hearts is confusing, they obviously haven't played Final Fantasy XIII. I mean seriously, why are they bringing someone like God into this? Doesn't that seem a little bit....much? Is that going to cause a bit of controversy with some people? Granted, if they do it right, the story might be fine, but with the trailers, I'm finding it hard to believe. It seems more like that city is in limbo.

12. Llave Superless Moderator

Only via pre-order. Looked it up on Amazon (and pre-ordered lol) and it was only with a pre-order. Exciting incentive though.

13. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Fair enough, only problem is those who don't have the money (<--) or those that want to wait till it's cheaper. I'm actually more for waiting till it's cheaper anyways. While it would be cool to have the costume, it's just one thing, and unless I thought the costume looked really good, I wouldn't care.

14. A Zebra Chaser

XIII-2 had plenty of pre-order 'exclusives' too, they ended up purchasable eventually.

Eh... XIII has NOTHING on KH, I'm sorry.
    Each XIII may have its own, completely different story, but as a whole it makes a LOT more sense than KH...

15. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Guess that's where we differ, because I find KH's story a lot easier than XIII. Everyone always says that KH is hard to understand, but I personally have found XIII a lot harder, especially since XIII-2 came out, and this is only going to make it more confusing. But everyone understands things differently, so I suppose that's why most find KH difficult to follow

16. A Zebra Chaser

at least in XIII-2 there are only two Caius copies, not thirteen
    I should clarify, I can understand both plots fine, but I would have a FAR easier time explaining XIII's continuity to a novice than KH's...

17. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

This is why I'm not entirely sure if I'm gonna pre-order it when it'll probably be made available later...

18. Patman Bof

Lol I think you have the wrong god in mind, it' s one of the gods of the Fabula Nova Crystallis pantheon. Buniberzei I' d wager. That pantheon was supposed to be the only thing shared by the FNC games (Etro is still in the FFXV logo, despite its name change).

That being said, the first XIII game wasn' t devoid of Christian analogies and criticisms. Too bad they did their best to conceal it and make it as cryptic as they possibly could (for instance in the first game the pantheon and creation myth were dumped in a 20 lines footnote, with half of its facts wrong to boot since it was narrated by humans centuries after the facts), choosing to focus on their usual done to death shonen cliché-fest drama instead. Xenogears didn' t sacrifice one for the other.

I would post that FNC myth vid that SE released between XIII and XIII-2, but apparently SE has blocked almost every subtitled version out there, all I could find was the German version. Right, why wouldn' t you block the one thing that makes it all make sense to anyone who doesn' t speak Japanese ?

19. A Zebra Chaser

well it's still free. I'm guessing DLC like this will be 4-5 bucks
    If you're planning on getting this after the inevitably quick price drop then it's in your best interest to avoid it, but I'm personally planning on buying this day one, so it'll be worth it for me

20. Iskandar King of Conquerors

You'll have to take that question to the top of SE if you want an answer. Most I can give you is "It's their video, so it's their choice if they want a subtitled version of it online or not". But that wouldn't be entirely fair, since I can't speak for them. And I can honestly say I didn't notice any sort of Christian things in the first game, but than again, I don't pay attention to anything enough to notice any sort of religious reference, or even a close resemblance. I mean, I figured they meant full on God, because she said she had to help spirits or whatever (I just saw the video and I'm already forgetting details, how like me), and it sounded like she was more of an angel leading dead souls on and keeping them away from Chaos (which I wish so much to be the same Chaos from the first game/Dissidia[012])