Film Kingsglaive Final Fantasy XV

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Iskandar, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Iskandar King of Conquerors

First off, I'd like to place this here, just because I'm getting the movie in 2 months anyways
    [​IMG]
    On to the official note, after seeing this film in theaters, I would have to say that they did a pretty good job on the movie as a whole. I'm going to try my best to avoid any specifics, since I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the site who saw the film today, and if I'm not, others might know what I'm talking about.

To start off, this film surprisingly did a good job of clearing up a few facts about the series that was confusing. It told of the background about where Luna was and why. Well, I say "told", but it was an intro thing, so yeah, fill in the blanks moments kind of. But it does explain why Luna and Noct are being wed, and where the wedding came from in the first place. It even seemed to delve somewhat onto the plot of the game, though not directly. That whole "night becoming longer and longer" plot seemed to have something to do with stuff they talked about in the movie. I can't say anything more though, because it is a part of the plot.

The film also does a neat job of showing off bits of Insomnia. For everyone who saw the hour gameplay and saw Insomnia after the events, it's cool to see what it looks like beforehand. Think of something like FF AC's Edge, except a little more advanced, and a hell of a lot bigger. I'm not kidding, that is one MASSIVE city.

The plot kind of does an Advent Children thing too, where it starts off a little slow in the first 30 or so minutes, but picks up after that. Yeah, it means a lot of action, and things like that, but even in the middle of the action, they did a good job of stopping for like 5 or 7 minutes just to slow down a couple times and get back to the characters and add even a little more development.

Oh yeah, it's also just fun to mention the references made to previous final fantasy games in the movie too. They show most of them in the trailer, but seeing the weapon from VII and Ultros is fun. There were others, but since those are the only ones in the trailer that I can think of, they'll be the only ones I'll mention.

One of my few gripes about it actually has to do with the combat though. While it is nice, and I do mean nice, it's almost a little tricky to follow, especially during the last bit. There's a lot going on, and it looks pretty, but unless you have hawk eyes, it's hard to follow the flow because of things flying everywhere. And yes, that includes the teleporting nonsense.

The characters had a good amount of development for screen time, but there were some that I kind of felt like they could have given even a little more background on to understand their reasoning. A couple of them even have that "I sound like I'm going to be a villain, so yeah" thing, so it's a little meh.

I also know the animation was done by the same people who did Advent Children, and I'd say they did a nice job passing the bar on it. AC had some really nice animation, but this looked much better. At least in my view. Though I'll admit, there were a couple times where the lip sync seemed off. It wasn't often, maybe 7 or 8 times through the whole film that lasted a couple seconds, but maybe I was imagining it.

The end credit scene, which appears after what feels like 10 minutes of credits, shows Noct and friends driving down the road and leads directly, and I do mean directly into the beginning of the game, if you know what that is. It's a cute little addition.

Comparing to Advent Children Complete, without even thinking about it, I'd say I personally preferred AC Complete just because the fights were easier to follow and that was what the majority of it seemed to be. But while AC was made as a sequel to a game and you know the characters and it was filling out the ending to Cloud, I do enjoy how while Kingsglaive was action packed as well, it had a lot more of an emotional feel to it. If I were to actually look at it as a whole, I'd say Kingsglaive does a slightly better job. That's just my two cents though.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I'm really glad to hear that the movie does a decent job of explaining itself. I'll be going with a a couple of my friends on Sunday, and I've been avoiding reading the story bits to XV news while they know nothing at all. I remember watching Advent Children having only played the original FF7 and I was just confused all over the place.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Well, it starts off a little on the fast side which might be confusing, but even if you can't follow that completely, it's not really a problem. It's just the backstory to how things were before the game/movie starts.

Sony has the first 12 minutes of the movie on youtube if you want to watch part of it and get a feel for what the movie is about. It doesn't have any plot wise, it's just pretty effects and fighting for the most part, except for that intro bit.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  4. Arch Mana Knight

Saw the movie yesterday with my gf (who's never played a Final Fantasy before). Overall, it was a great experience and I don't really have much to say about its positives so I'll just narrow down on my minor complaints on the film.

• Some of the animation on the people felt a little off. It looked a little unnatural at some parts but I can't put my finger on why. Faces dipped in an out of the uncanny valley but the further into the movie we got the more I got used to it.
    • I know Luna is a princess but she felt pretty useless and underdeveloped.
    • Sound mixing was not good in a few areas. The music overpowered character voices. Speaking of which, General Glauca and particularly the old Lucis Kings were hard to understand when they spoke because of the effects used to modulate their voices.
    • When compared to the final fight in Advent Children, Kingsglaive's last battle is harder to follow. It has a greater scale and a bit more of an epic feeling but it's just hard to see the swordsmanship of the two fighters.
    As for the plot, some parts are a little hard to follow but it's still really enjoyable and I'll be watching it again when I get my UCE in two months.

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Yeah, those were basically my complaints about the movie. Like the first scene with Izunia, his mouth just seems a little.....off. It's hard to describe unless you've seen the film. I mean, the mouth movements seem a more natural than some of the other films, but maybe that because they're actually moving. Past that, there were some moments where the mouths are just off.

And yes, Luna as a character is underdeveloped. In fact, I think she's the only character we haven't gotten much info on. We had a background on her, and we know she wants to support Noct, but that's about it. Pretty much everything she does is based off "I must help Noct".

I partially agree with the sound at point, but it's easy to get used to General Glauca and the old kinds after the first watch. Though I guess most people aren't like me and see it twice in theaters. But after just seeing it the second time, it's much easier to understand what they're saying.

I also believe I mentioned the final fight being a little on the hard-to-follow side unless you had eyes of a hawk. Again, watching it a second time it was a little easier because I knew what to look for, but for first timers, it's kind of insane. I don't want to give anything on what happens, but it's hard to explain how it's hard without saying anything about what happens.