Kingdom Hearts X[chi] coming to iOS/Android as Kingdom Hearts Unchained Key

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Krowley, May 12, 2015.

1. Krowley Moderator

chi.PNG

Leaked from an upcoming issue of Famitsu is the Kingdom Hearts series' first journey onto smartphones, Kingdom Hearts Unchained Key, a port of the previously browser-exclusive Kingdom Hearts X[chi]. This announcement arrives amidst hints from Tetsuya Nomura that a smartphone title was in the works.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained Key is slated for a 2015 release in Japan, and will be free-to-play with micro-transactions and an updated gameplay system to suit the mobile way of gaming. It will also feature new plot elements for the iOS and Android versions.

The following was translated by Goldpanner following a tweet on the confirmed product.
    We'll no doubt have more information when the full Famitsu article is released and translated, and when Square-Enix properly reveals the title. The game may only be confirmed for Japan at the moment, but given the teaser from Square-Enix Germany's Facebook page and Kingdom Hearts X[chi]'s relevance to the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3, Unchained Keys will likely make its way to the palms of worldwide audiences.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts News & Updates' started by Krowley, May 12, 2015.

1. Karuta
      Karuta
      This is most likely what Square Enix DE's facebook post was about. If so, localisation is pretty likely. I'm worried that the whole In App Purchase thing might go down badly, i.e people with lots of money paying to become ridiculously overpowered, although I have no idea how chi works so maybe that won't be the case. Looking forward to it nonetheless.
    2. Misty
      Misty
      I'm not sure either how the in-app purchases might integrate with KHX, but Final Fantasy Record Keeper reportedly did microtransactions quite well in that it was still fair for players who chose not to pay actual money. I'd hope they'd apply a similar strategy to Unchained Key. I do know that, in KHX, you can dress up your player, so offering purchase of cosmetic items through either playing the game and earning whatever the in-game currency is (munny? mog points?) or paying actual money seems likely too.
    3. 61
      Is there actual story in this game? Like is it relevant to the KH experience? Because if it's not I have no interest in this.
    4. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      As long as I don't have to pay whenever I want to advance with the story, I'm game. Can't wait to try it out!
    5. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      Yes, but it's unraveling slowly. As evidenced by the new Re:coded secret ending, last year's teaser for III, and the fact that it's being written alongside III, it's definitely going to be pretty important.
    6. 61
      I know nothing about this game and how it relates to Coded or 3, but okay.
    7. Krowley
      Krowley
      If you want to learn more about the lore of the Kingdom Hearts universe, it's at the very best a nice little time waster.
      At least it's not Vcast.
    8. . : tale_wind
      Take a look at these:

The big connector here is something called the Book of Prophecies. It's a book owned by the five Foretellers from x [chi] that can show and simulate future events, which is how players can go to worlds from the series' future while living in the Keyblade War. The final line in the Book of Prophecies is what Xehanort recites in the KHIII teaser. Maleficent believes that Jiminy's Journal and the Datascape have some sort of link to the Book of Prophecies, and given that the Datascape simulates worlds and their events as well, she's likely onto something. Maleficent ain't stupid.
    9. Ability King KK
      Ability King KK
      I really don't see the point of this game. From what is known it supposedly takes place during the Keyblade Wars, yet the minor enemies you fight are Emblem Heartless which canonically didn't come into existence until long after the Wars had ended. Technically this game shouldn't even be canon to the series due to how it goes against already established facts.
    10. . : tale_wind
      For starters:
      x [chi] takes place in simulations of future worlds and the friends and foes that inhabit them, created by the Book of Prophecies. Even further than simulations, they may be dreams, based on the reveal that Chirithy is a Dream Eater. So the Emblem Heartless shown, as well as any others, are not real Heartless.

Also, its canonity can't really be questioned if it's being tied into Re:coded and III.
    11. Meilin Lee
      Meilin Lee
      In addition to this, here's a quote from the man himself, Tetsuya Nomura, discussing Re:coded HD, specifically stating that X[chi] is canon:
      Source in case no one believes me
    12. kingdomhearts123
      kingdomhearts123
      I'm all for any Kingdom Hearts titles that I can get my hands on, but yes; as long as you don't have to pay to actually do anything I'm all for getting this. I mean, a relation to the series would make it 10x cooler and I been reading the replies and it sounds as much as it will. Unless they decide to change it last minute (which won't happen).
    13. Misty
      Misty
      If they're billing the game as a free-to-play title I doubt that story elements would be locked behind paygates; I'm sure you'll have access to most, if not all, content of the title without having to invest. Judging by Square's previous smartphone ventures, they'll offer cosmetic items or power-ups (to make things like leveling faster/easier) through microtransactions.
    14. Scarred Nobody
      Scarred Nobody
      I feel this might be more for users in other countries than Japan. I remember reading somewhere that smartphones haven't necessarily caught on there as they have in the Western world.
    15. Menos Grande
      Menos Grande
      Well if this is going to be an APP at android is probably going to have a translation (even if is not official /hacked of sorts) so we'll finally discover what the fuss is all about.
    16. Railos
      Railos
      I honestly, did not see this coming. Either way, it's great that I finally have a chance to play KHX. I really hope this game goes well.
    17. Plums
      Plums
      tbh I was expecting KHX to be cutscene movie ala Days/Re:coded in a KH3D port, but a phone game is pretty exciting too. I'm hoping we can get a release date for the West soon, and that Square maintains support for it. I know they completely dropped TWEWY: Solo Remix a couple months back (WHICH I'M EXTREMELY BITTER ABOUT LMAO), but considering it's an entry for one of their flagship series and one that's very relevant to what will be one of their biggest game releases outside FFXV, that should hopefully not be a big problem.