Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Translation Patch (In progress)

Discussion in 'Code Vault' started by Trilix, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

I will tell you one more time.

Those text strings are encrypted. They need than the tools that I have available right now.

2. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

Did u work on the patch. Some more ?

3. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

I contacted KeytoTruth the other day and I'm waiting for him to get back to me. He said he'd try to do some of the file extraction so that I can edit the encrypted text too.

EDIT:
    A few days have passed and nothing new has been said so far. However, if he's writing new programs to do this, it's understandable.

4. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

Lawson's
    [DOUBLEPOST=1365535791][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry . Mabey we might get lossed case letters as well dude !!!

5. PermaNull Moogle Assistant

If you want I can look into doing the extraction/decryption on this,
    I've dealt with a lot of different file formats on games, and I know a bit about the MIPS processor assembly on the PS2 so live reversing wouldn't be all that hard.

Plus, Chances are rather then being encrypted it's most likely compressed/encoded.

6. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

Be my guest.

7. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

Have unheard from him. ?

8. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

No, I haven't heard back from him yet.

9. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

U should ask again . I found someone that is whilling to help us out

10. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

Well, I'll help if I can.
    From what I've read, Hidden Smithery can hex-edit the ISO to change text, but that's it. Is that right?
    I also know farlo and yaz0r made extractors for the game; do we know if they get all the files? Depending on how similar the file formats in the game are, I might be able to get some of my KH2FM tools to work on it.

Also, because I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, I can change text (and images, and some others...) in KH2FM without string length limits. If anyone's interested, I can pull out the strings to excel to fix them. (I don't want to hijack this thread for that; PM or something.)

11. the blue keyblade Moogle Assistant

12. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

Only sort of right. You see, using the hex editor, I've only been able to translate very little in comparison to what is actually in the game. Gummi ship parts and journal entry names, a few menu options.... All of them are in caps due to the limited character set in the game by default. Things like cutscenes subtitles, status-screen names, the in-game command menu (Attack, Magic, Items, 4th option), abilities AND items aren't able to be translated with the hex editor alone. I've tried and they're simply not showing up on their own. Something else like an extractor has to be used, and they have to be re-inserted ALONG WITH a new character set that supports lower-case English letters.

I've recently been given some files that allows me to update/change some text in KH2:FM, but I still have to work with whatever limits Xeeynamo set when he first translated the game. I changed how some of the items are described, for example. The main thing I'd want to do with KH2:FM would be to removed Terra's/Lingering Sentiment's cape by editing it's texture to make it transparent; the effect of it not being there without messing with the model directly.

However that is probably better suited for a PM, since we're talking about KH1:FM and not KH2.
    I'll look on that page later once I have some more time. I have to give the computer back to my boyfriend now. lol

All this being said, I really want to be able to have this translated before the ReMix English release date; meaning December I think it is. If I can get access to the files to translate them, and a way to reinsert them into the game, I'll do all the text editing myself (obviously starting with the menu and abilities/items/command menu, THEN the cutscenes). I just need the tools to do so.

13. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

Looking at the few extractors that there are out there, I can tell the game compresses some files. That would be why you can't find them.
    I'm going to try to make my own extractor, but I won't have a good tool to put it back together for a bit (I'm not good at making compression functions, never-mind that the file is hidden in the ISO...). But this will be able to extract all the files, at least.
    As for the font, I'll try to look at that later too.

14. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

Hey . Did u made the tool yet ?

15. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

Dude. Programming a tool takes time. Be. Patient.

16. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

Well, I have a few delays at the moment.
    First is I don't have the decompression function. If it's in Farlo's or yaz0r's program (I think I saw it in one), I can port it over. If it's in neither, I can try to find it in the KH1 ELF itself, but that will take much longer to port.

Second is filenames. KH1 stores names similarly to KH2: it hashes the names then accesses them via that hash (or number). Unless we want a ton of "5479f2de.bin"s, we need the original names...
    ---
    And I have a way to get the names now, the only major pitfalls is that it only works in PCSX2 and that the game has to actually load the file; but this should be able to get all the names.
    If you want to help with filenames, you need to run the game with EE console on and this cheat.
    "Misc->Show Console" to show the console, and "Sources->EE Console" in that window to make it log what we need.
    The cheat to run is this:
    Code:
    patch=1,EE,00100010,word,08040044
    patch=1,EE,00100018,word,27bdfff0
    patch=1,EE,0010001c,word,ffbf0000
    patch=1,EE,00100020,word,ffa40008
    patch=1,EE,00100024,word,64850000
    patch=1,EE,00100028,word,3c040049
    patch=1,EE,0010002c,word,0c094092
    patch=1,EE,00100030,word,6484fe18
    patch=1,EE,00100034,word,dfbf0000
    patch=1,EE,00100038,word,dfa40008
    patch=1,EE,0010003c,word,27bd0010
    patch=1,EE,00100040,word,080944b1
    patch=1,EE,00100044,word,0080802d
    patch=1,EE,00120104,word,0c040006

The console will spam "can't open file *" whenever it loads something; that's just my code, it is loading perfectly fine.
    And when you're done playing, there should be a file called "emuLog.txt" in the logs folder. That's what I need; PM or something.
    I'm going to start on the decompression function now, after a break (took me hours to find somewhere to hook that didn't crash the game). ;)

17. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

Don't stress yourself out doing this. I appreciate the effort.

18. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

Nah, I find this fun. ^^
    It's like doing a puzzle: Fun, but if you stare at it for too long you lock yourself up. Gotta keep it varied.

As for progress, I got a partial dumper working. It can extract all files in the IDX, and has support for getting the original name from a database given a hash (this is where the cheat above comes in; I use it to make the database). Working on decompression right now, as it is it just dumps the compressed data.

I have no idea how I'm going to make something to rebuild this though, I can't find how the game loads it. I might get lucky, and the method I'm using work, but I doubt it.

19. Hidden Smithery King's Apprentice

Here's hoping. :\

I'm looking forward to the translating. Time consuming but worth it.

20. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Thanks! Looking forward to this. :) Keep up the good work!