Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix Translation Patch (In progress)

Discussion in 'Code Vault' started by Trilix, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Trilix Twilight Town Denizen

THERE WILL BE CRASHES AND IS MEANT FOR TESTING
    THIS IS NOT FOR NORMAL PLAYTHROUGHS

Patching Guide
    1. Visit the Zipball Maker at https://goo.gl/wgu4RN. Wait for the page to load, it may take some time. (Zipball is down, use this link in the meantime: http://bit.ly/1BWuVTN)
    2. Click on Download file. Save the zip file and extract it.
    3. (Optional): Download these files at http://bit.ly/RCIAdg and place in your downloaded "import" folder if you wish to remove the japanese subtitles during the opening & ending cutscenes.
    4. Place a clean, unmodified Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix ISO into the extracted folder.
    5. Rename the ISO to kh.iso.
    6. Run KH1 ISOMaker.exe.
    7. When prompted to
      Press enter to run using KH.ISO...
      press enter.
    8. Wait while the magic happens. ;)
    9. When
      New ISO finished!
      Press enter to exit...
      is shown, press enter.
    10. kh.NEW.iso is the new, patched ISO.
      kh.iso is still the clean, unmodified ISO.
    The following worlds are currently not included:
    • Hollow Bastion
    • Traverse Town

Troubleshooting
    A fatal error has occurred: Could not find file '...\kh.iso'.
    Make sure you have copied the ISO to the same folder as KH1 ISOMaker.exe and that its name is kh.iso.​
    A fatal error has occurred: The process cannot access the file '...' because it is being used by another process.
    Some other program has opened the ISO and is blocking access to it. Close any program that has used the ISO lately.​
    All KH1 ISOMaker.exe says is Adding @noname/XXXXXXXX.bin from input ISO and the new ISO isn't different.
    Make sure you have a file named _HashPairs.log in the same folder as KH1 ISOMaker.exe. It should come in the zip file.
    When you first start KH1 ISOMaker.exe, before you press enter, the first line should be something similar to
    Using HASHPAIRS file version 1.5.0 (Crazycatz00) with 3302 entries!.
    The Zipball Maker said something about a Fatal Error.
    Please send a message to Crazycatz00 with the full error it gave you. If it still had a download link, please also send the _Online Zip Builder.log file that is included in the zip file.​
    -- Crazycatz00

Changelog
    01-17-2015
    • PS2 compatibility.
    • Temporarily reverted back to 4:3 original aspect ratio, will re-add 16:9 widescreen mods as an optional download at a later time.
    • Adjusted minor text positioning when deciding on NEW GAME options.
    • Adjusted text for Dive to the Heart/Destiny Islands/Disney Castle.
    03-06-2015
    • COMPLETE OVERHAUL of text mapping thanks to crazycatz00. Text is now 100% accurate to original english subtitles.
    • Treasure boxes now appropriately display its contents while opening, though a bit glitchy.
    • Completed ALMOST EVERY WORLD with the exception of Hollow Bastion & Traverse Town as they are the longest. Will finish those at a later time.
    • Permanently removed black widescreen bars shown during cutscenes and lowered subtitles to compensate. See comparison screenshots HERE.
    • Please PM me if you notice ANY Final Mix exclusive content missing that may have been caused by this new update! If you do, tell me exactly what is missing and what part of the game it is. Send me a memory card save if possible. This is an easy fix.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Knehcs Moogle Assistant

This may be the wrong place to ask about this, but this particular forum seems to be most up-to-date place for Kingdom Hearts hacking/coding information on the Internet.

I've imported a copy of KHII:FM and played it with the most recent English patch, and that playthrough on Critical mode was probably the most fun I've had with a Kingdom Hearts game thus far (the only games I've not yet played are Re:coded, which I'm halfway finished with, KH:FM, and BBS:FM). I'm aware that there's also an English patch floating around for BBS:FM, and I'll certainly look into that at some point, but what about KH:FM?

I have no intent to come off as ungrateful, as I respect the hell out of those who have brought us such fantastic patches in the past. I want to discuss this, though, if possible. Have there been any known attempts to translate the game? Are there barriers in place that complicate matters to the point of it being more hassle than its worth? I've read the replies from people who simply suggest playing with the aid of a translation guide, but is there any possibility of anyone translating it?

And, finally, this is going to be a bit of a long-shot, but does anyone here know how one could go about learning how to access files within the disc to possibly explore options of translating? I know it would be no easy task, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if this is this the wrong place for this.

3. EvilMan_89 Code Master

it's fine to post this here, there are other romhack threads in the Code Vault as well. as for your question though, i don't believe there were any attempts EVER to translate KH1:FM. i've done searches for it in the past and came up with nothing. as for accessing the files, i wouldn't know where to begin, sorry.

4. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Unfortunately KH1 has not been hacked as wide open as the other titles. I'm not sure if it is a simple lack of man hours comparatively or if there is a more direct road block (well BBS was a bit different due to PSP specific tools) but one of the big issues with translating right now is that last point. This seems to be a bit of a valley where to really get any farther we need to blow open the mine shaft. There isn't much more that we can get feeling out in the dark. But unlocking the game will take a ton of work by people that know what they are doing. I, like many, would be willing to put in time but just have no idea what to do in the least.

5. Knehcs Moogle Assistant

Thanks for the speedy replies. I, too, would be willing to whatever I could to assist; I just have no idea where to even begin. I thought I would tinker with my ripped copy of the NTSC version of KH1, and if I ever got anywhere with it, I would apply the knowledge to the FM if/when I got my hands on it. Google fails to find anything of use for actually cracking open PS2 games.

There must be something that can be done? A place to start? :(

6. adamboy7 Traverse Town Homebody

I must say, if you hadn't posted this, I was just about to ask about it XD
    Sad to say, I have found no attempts at patching kh1fm. There are plenty of people who have done patching kh2fm and bbs, but I guess its just a lack of intrest or effort :/ I know a little bit about patching, but could by no means do it myself. I know that in the BBS patching, there are four files that hold the main parts that need to be patched. If you rip the ISO and open in in winzip (winzip/7zip/whatever suits your fancy) there are files named BBS0, BBS1, BBS2, BBS3, and BBS4 Those files hold the main parts of the game. They hold the cutscenes, the rooms, character I believe, and alot of miss match filed that make the game file go round. In theory, the same should exsist in the kh1 ISO. I dont have complete knowladge on the sunject, but I can patch BBSFM and KH2FM with the use of programs. Oh, and as for patching you KH2FM game, check out this video, it works great!
    [video=youtube;rDfu4K4LeX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDfu4K4LeX8&list=FL7abfxstdvUXipAAxC8y2eg&index=17&feature=plpp_video[/video]
    Wether you burn it and play it on your playstation or just use the patched ISO on your emulator is up to you. Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I was planning on smashing the ISO and poking at its insides in a few months (during the summer when I have more time on my hands.)

7. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

You know what, at the time when KH2 FM was released it was the most popular out of the two (I don't know why). I do find it odd and unfair that KH1 FM never got a translation patch when KH2 FM and BBS FM did. If I knew more about this stuff I would straight up help you out. :)

8. Majik Chaser

I did this along time ago. Never went far with it, just a test I did when creating a file dumper.
    Game uses same custom text table as Japanese KH2. If I had a more powerful PC, these type of projects would be less troublesome for me. I had the hardest time testing KH2FM when I worked on translating it because I run PCSX2 so slowly.

9. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

is that why u stop working on it ? your patch is very good . but frezzes there and there ,

10. darkriku2000 Merlin's Housekeeper

In regards to BBS:FM, from what I understand the final mix translation was easier on account that BBS had already been translated so they had that to work off of.

Hacking the PS2 games is extremely difficult because you'd have to code your own tools to do so. I'm not sure if you'd be able to use the same tools for KH:FM as you could for KH2:FM on account that some things (such as compression formats and a lot of stuff that's way over my head) could be different. If one wanted to, they could try using the tools Xeeynamo used to translate KH2:FM and see if they'll work with KH:FM as well as ask him if there were other tools he used (Link: http://xeeynamo.blogspot.com/2011/07/kingdom-hearts-ii-final-mix.html ). You could also ask him for a source code to use his tools as a reference though I'm not sure how much it would help.

11. Jin うごかないで

Those are the bugs in majik's patch. freezing once you open a chest and then go into the menu or obtaining an item from a boss (eg: data battles) and then going to start menu, but xeeynamo made a really good english patch for it, i just patched mine today (again because i have a new laptop now) it doesn't freeze at all.

12. darkriku2000 Merlin's Housekeeper

All this being said, it would be extremely cool if Majik made some tools to get into the KH:FM ISO but that would be a lot of work that would take too long for a project that most aren't going to be interested in

13. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

i know i have his patach . can u halep me with kingdom hearts 2 final mix sull speed on my pcsx2 0.9.6 / someone said that my computer can run it full speed

i know i have his patach . can u halep me with kingdom hearts 2 final mix sull speed on my pcsx2 0.9.6 / someone said that my computer can run it full speed

14. darkriku2000 Merlin's Housekeeper

His patch is a little buggy (though that shouldn't cause an issue with speed)

I'd suggest downloading Xeeynamo's patch for it. Than tweak some of the settings on PCSX2 to try and maximize speed.

What's your computer specs?

15. Jin うごかないで

It can run full speed indeed, I have it running full speed on my computer, BUT that would sort of be going off topic, I think it'd be better to Personal message me OR make a thread in the technology section, though i'm not sure if they will allow us to talk about pcsx2 in there, they should do.

@Dark riku PCSX2 0.9.6 is a bit outdated, so it'd be better for him to download 0.9.8 Instead.

And as dark riku said, we can't help you in anyway without you telling us your computer specs

find these out by going onto;

start menu>RIGHT click on computer/my computer > Properties, the specs should be listed there, we mostly just need your processor and processing speed and ram which should be listed there

16. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

here is my
    Processer: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
    Install memory(RAM): 2.00GB
    32-bit operating sytem

17. EvilMan_89 Code Master

people, try to stay on topic, this thread isn't about optimizing PCSX2, it's about a KH1:FM translation patch. optimizing PCSX2, that's a different thread that i've seen people post about in the Technology sub-forum.

18. Jin うごかないで

IS there any known Translation patch for Kingdom hearts 1: Final mix though? Because i don't think there is. I'd do it myself but i don't have any knowledge of a hex editor or know of any english patching tools, i'd like to learn but can't find any tutorials on patching a ps2 game.

sorry for going a bit of topic for the last post

19. Majik Chaser

You won't find tutorials. Every game is built differently. To edit a game, you must understand how the game is built, take it apart, edit, then rebuild it. You can find tuts for easy stuff, like editting uncompressed ASCII but don't expect that to fly with Square Enix PS2 games. They all (that I have examined) use compression and custom encoding on the text.

20. Darth Typho Destiny Islands Resident

Well, is there anything yet? I have been looking, and looking, for a KH 1 Final Mix Patch, please, please, PLEASE tell me, somone has something, anything, that is a patch for KH FM 1?