Site News KH-Vids Presents... More Inclusive Gender Options!

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Thanks to a suggestion by @Sebax and the hard work of @libregkd, we're really excited to roll out a new feature to our site. For years now, users have been able to specify their gender in their profiles; the gender options, however, have been limited to 'Male' or 'Female'. While there has also been the third option of 'Unspecified,' these options reflect a very limited view of gender and supports a gender binary that would potentially exclude many of our members.

gender1.png

This system has been replaced with a new, fill-in-the-blank type field. When filling out your profile, you can fill in the Gender field with whatever fits your identity. The field will present you with autocomplete suggestions...
    ... but if none of them match up with your gender identity, you can input a custom value. The field will automatically fill with your existing option (for example -- I had previously selected 'Female,' and that has been imported into the new field), so if you don't see a need to update, no worries!

Naturally, we have also added an option for users to specify their pronouns.

gender2.png

Both of these fields can be edited by heading over to your Personal Details page.

These options will display in various areas of the site, for easy reference, like the information tab of your profile...

gender3.png
    On member cards...

gender4.png

And next to your posts, with a fancy tooltip for checking pronouns!

gender5.gif
    We hope these changes will make KH-Vids a more inclusive environment by design, and want to urge our users to please take these fields seriously. Not sure what all these terms mean? That's okay! There are plenty of pages on the internet that break them down for you. Do a little research, and open up your conception of gender.

If you have any problems or questions regarding these changes, feel free to reply! Notably, a conflict with our Social Groups add-on has cropped up, which has been temporarily disabled.

Tags: this article has not been tagged
Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Misty, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Patman
      Patman
      I guess it' s a good thing you included the desired pronoun since, as far as I can tell, the problem here is we don' t even agree on what gender even means.

For instance the only way I can make sense of the concept is by equating it either with genes or with grammatical arbitrary standards. Both are rather clear cut. However it looks like a lot of the gender definitions listed in your link are defined based on our colloquial understanding of societal expectations, whose frontiers are much murkier and vary wildly from place to place. That makes them a minefield. I suspected as much when Ars Nova posted a thread on the topic, even though he never bothered defining genderfluid, and lo and behold, our incomprehension scared him away.

So yeah just tell me what you' d like to be called, it' s much simpler.
    2. Amaury
      Amaury
      Member card looks a little weird. Any way to make the pronouns as a XenForo tooltip there as well?

Also, until I read the whole title, I thought this was an announcement regarding something to do with the new styles! D:

Edit: For all the locations they appear, is there any way to keep them on one line? Like, after so many characters, it changes to ellipses where it will show you the rest by hovering over it? Just looks a little disorganized, especially with ones like Jube's.
      Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    3. Hiro ✩
      Hiro ✩
      Absolutely loving this.
    4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      +1 for making people happy
    5. Shiki
      Shiki
      Nice!
    6. jafar
      jafar
      i identify as a flying spaghetti monster. where is my option.
    7. *Sora*
      *Sora*
      I personally love the priority this issue took over all others. +1
    8. Jube
      Jube
      Best feature is best
    9. Misty
      Misty
      We're imposing a character limit on the Gender field to combat possible abuse. Those who edited their gender to exceed that have had it blanked out. We understand some people are just having a laugh, but we won't hesitate to take action against those who abuse these fields.
      Yes, by gender we're referring to the societal definition & construct. You're right in that it is a complicated subject, so we've adapted exactly that mindset: tell us what you want to be called.
    10. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      This doesn't alter anything for me personally, but I love that we got this made into a thing! Kudos to everyone who helped make this happen~
    11. Jiηx
      Jiηx
      I Sexually Identify As An Attack Helicopter. Ever Since I Was A Boy I Dreamed Of Soaring Over The Oilfields Dropping Hot Sticky Loads On Disgusting Foreigners. People Say To Me That A Person Being A Helicopter Is Impossible And I'm F'king Retrded But I Don't Care, I'm Beautiful. I'm Having A Plastic Surgeon Install Rotary Blades, 30 Mm Cannons And AMG-114 Hellfire Missiles On My Body. From Now On I Want You Guys To Call Me "Apache" And Respect My Right To Kill From Above And Kill Needlessly. If You Can't Accept Me You're A Heliphobe And Need To Check Your Vehicle Privilege. Thank You For Being So Understanding.
    12. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      The capitalization in this post tho.
    13. Shiki
      Shiki
      But why are there so many caps?
    14. DigitalAtlas
      DigitalAtlas
      I did it.

Also, the pronouns' character limit is waaaay too short. Can't even type 'he/she/they'.

Serious thing to add: A lot of people on this site accuse of "cis privilege" so often that I go to other forums when asking for love advice. That's the environment we have. This is a good thing to have added- even if I'm currently having a laugh with it, but just... be careful how much of a focus this becomes, arright? Inclusion should not be a big focus for a forum that could use more convenience updates and traffic attractions and SERIOUSLY WHY DOESN'T MOBILE WORK WELL YET. It definitely needs to be an active ingredient though!
      Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    15. libregkd
      libregkd
      What about the mobile style isn't working well for you? I primarily browse KHV while on my phone and haven't had trouble with it so I'm interested in hearing what is causing problems for you.
    16. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠
      I listened to the entire podcast while browsing on my iPad, granted there is a lot more screen room but I have done it on my iPhone 4 as well (and that screen is effing tiny).

Err, what? Can you explain this?
    17. Allen Tor
      Allen Tor
      I'm afraid to ask, but what exactly is "cis privilege" and how are accusations of it a problem on this site?
    18. . : tale_wind
      . : tale_wind
      The term cisgender refers to someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth. Cis privilege is benefiting, consciously or otherwise, from that identity.
    19. DigitalAtlas
      DigitalAtlas
      I mean, not a thing besides not being able to get to the forum from the main page because the text options are tiny and not a drop down, the fact that alerts and likes are also constantly being misclicked because tiny options, and I hit post before hitting done on my keyboard and I have as keyboard now stuck on the page that won't go away because it thinks I'm still typing a post (never happened anywhere else, and I always try to break stuff). KHV mobile is atrocious- good effort, but boy is it a pain to simply navigate. Then the lack of popular code options in the post so you have to change text options constantly just to use some plain code.