KH-Vids Podcast KH-Vids Podcast : Our (Pilot) Episode

Discussion in 'Community News & Projects' started by Mike, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mike Chaser

[​IMG]

Hey everyone,

We have some good news in regards to our first podcast, which was brought together by our moderators "Sabby", "DPWolf" and myself including. Our first podcast is titled "Pilot", which opens our first podcast episode and includes an intense discussion on ourselves, the new features of KHV (new skin, upgrade & video archive). Following our in-depth conversation, we also talk about the latest updates, release date information and our opinions on the series itself as well as those on-going updates from Hot Topic. Aren't those merchandise updates crazy? We continue our conversation on our experience with KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep and our reactions to the newest title from the KINGDOM HEARTS series "KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Coded".

[​IMG]
    STREAM/LISTEN NOW
    Please Note: We are also looking into uploading our podcast episode on iTunes.
    Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dh3k2yk2l6fjd5d

We are so excited to bring on our first podcast episode, which we know has also been a demand from many of our guests and members. With that said, we hope that you all tune in today! Our next episode is important in regards to our listeners/members. Now that I got your attention, we are looking for feedback and suggestions on our podcast. Plus, feel free to ask us questions in this thread, so we could answer them on the next podcast episode. Please keep questions to a "E10" level as DPWolf explained to us in the episode (laughs). Also for our next episode, Staff member (Fayt), will be joining us as well. So, please stick with us on more of this podcast madness!

A shout out to our staff member "Misty", who has made our graphics for this special episode of the KHV podcast.

2. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

OMG YAY!!! I've been saying it for years!

Listening now. Will expand on comments later.

EDIT:

Comments: Some really funny moments. It started out kind of rocky, but once you started talking about your favorite games and stuff, you really loosened up quite a lot "It's gonna be on your epitaph dude!" -silence.

Definitely needs to be longer, about an hour is a good length for a podcast, I know that this was only a pilot, but yeah, in future, definitely needs to be longer.

The segmenting was a bit liquid. I dunno if that makes much sense! Basically, you had four main segments: Intro, KH News, Forum Stuff and wrap-up and extra, off topic stuff. You seemed to shift a bit between them very suddenly, there was no real definite end to a certain segments and start of a new one. Intro and out-tro music would help this greatly, or even fade the voices out and fade up the music and then switch to a new track for the new segment.

On another note, I think that the music was very appropriate, and I really liked it. It wasn't too obtrusive, and it didn't overpower the hosts, but it was still there and you could still hear it, so kudos to whoever did the mixing on that one.

I think, personally that you need more sort of "segments to the show". Possibly a theorizing section where you try to tease out what is happening in the series which, I suppose could be called "Unlocking Kingdom Hearts". I have listened to many podcasts, particularly those to do with Harry Potter which really sort of started the fan-podcast genre, and a lot of those were very successful due to their theorizing bits.

Also, allowing for fan/listener contribution is always a good thing to do, as it makes the listener feel as though their voice can be heard by more people which, in the long run makes more people tune in to the show. I know you are having the listener question section (like a mail-bag I guess) in the next show, but also allowing people to record themselves asking the question instead of reading it out would be a good thing to do, also even allowing guest member hosts on to the show can also work very well, especially when you have a larger listener base.

As I said before, it started off a bit awkwardly, just with the introduction and everything. I know it was a pilot, and once you've done a few podcasts you'll feel a lot more familiar with each other which will make things easier. Try to avoid the "And you Mike"s etc, you can always cut them out when you're editing, and it helps a lot with the flow of the dialogue and discussion between you. However, only being used to doing the podcasts will help you with this, so it's all about practicing.

Don't be frightened to be a little bit opinionated. A good group dynamic and clashes of opinions are what makes listening to podcasts so enjoyable. One example from your pilot was when Mike said "I like the storyline in Days" and Sabby and Wolfie immediately were like "You like the storyline?". That's the sort of thing that's enjoyable to listen to, it's that sort of exchange of opinions that makes a podcast fun and interesting to the listeners. Remember, fans care about other fans opinions, so show them (but don't go too ott ^_^).

Finally, allow yourselves to have a bit of a laugh! If you sound like you are enjoying yourselves, then the listeners will also enjoy themselves. Allow for in-jokes and banter to appear as the show goes on, as this will make listeners think "Hey, they're talking about that thing from a few episodes back, I remember that , it was hilar!" You know? It always helps to build up this sort of rapor with your audience, because it keeps them interested and will want them to listen more.

All in all though, I can see this going in a good direction, and especially when you know each other a bit better from talking to each other vocally. It doesn't matter how long you've been talking to each other on here, because talking on Skype (which I assume is how you recorded it) is a totally different ball game.

Finally, I would like to say that I am really looking forward to the next episode, and this was a really nice surprise. Also, my questions for next episode are:

1.) If you could add one thing to the Kingdom Hearts games, what would it be and why?
    2.) If you could take out anything from the games, then what would it be and why?
    3.) What do you really want to happen in the next games, be it story-wise, character-wise, gameplay wise etc.

Thanks for reading this WALL O' TEXT!!! and I looks forward to the next episode.

tl;dr: You go right back up there and read it all NOW!

And also first ... *shot*.

3. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

Haha nice, I'll listen to it right now. =]

4. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

You guys actually went through with the podcast idea? GASP!

It's pretty nice start for the first podcast. I think I might participate in this if I get a better mic.

5. Darkandroid Gets it Together

Finally, a thing that is happening.

I shall listen and hopefully one day guest star. =)

Edit:

Criticisms -

You guys worked pretty well together, a bit awkward to begin with but you this is a thing with all new podcasts. It will take a little bit until you all find your comfort zone, it's all in the learning steps.

Segments needs to be more seperate, you shifted conversation so quickly I weren't sure if it was the new topic or the old one. Between segments you need a quick second or 2 music transition it makes it exactly clear that it is a new conversation. We don't want it to blend in too much. Or even a simple and corny segway.

I like the idea of guests. Adds a nice bit of variety and allowed more people to take part. *cough*me,winkwink*cough*

Listener questions are a given and it's good to see you are going to make use of them. It helps us know more about you. People start watching podcasts for the content. They stay for the personalities, starting to feel like we are a part of the conversation, like a nice friendly chat and not forced. Which it's nice to see it isn't.

half an hour to an hour is a good length to start off with and maybe overtime it will increase.

It's good to start off talking only about Kingdom Hearts but as news slows down it will be good to talk more about other things. Get to know you. Of course Kingdom Hearts is the focus but a bit of variety will be good in the future.

Either way it's a good start.

6. kingdom_hearts_loverXX Gummi Ship Junkie

This is good news, maybe will bring in new members in the future.

I'll be sure to listen when I can.

EDIT:
    So I listened to the podcast, so far pretty good kinda short; so maybe it will be longer later??. I like the fact that KH music is being played in the background kinda takes away from the silence when no ones talking xD Anyway yeah continue on guys.

7. C This silence is mine

Oh my, this certainly is a great feature to the site. Since Fayt is gonna be there next week I'll just add this question here: How is the KHV RPG coming along? teh greatest questioon of all tiem!

I will be listening.

8. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

I already listened to it a while ago, which is why I said I'd join in for the next one. Looks like fun and from what I've heard you guys had fun making it. I'm looking forward to next time.

9. Arch Mana Knight

Mike pronounces Europe as "Yorp". XD He was the most natural in the podcast but it's only obvious he would be considering his previous works. After awhile though the podcast was losing my interest. Hopefully you guys get the awkwardness sorted out. It reminded me a little of listening to the conversations of a radio channel over here. Of course, those people have much more experience. Anyways, it was nice seeing that we got something new stuck up here.

10. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

So, it finally happened. It took four years but it did. Interesting. Plus funny since i was thinking about/listening to podcasts today..

Anyway, not sure if i'm gonna listen to it, at least now, since i'm busy but good luck to you guys.

^This and i love you. It would be a good idea to listen to a few HP podcasts. Those people know how to do it and if you could bring that quality here too, this podcast could turn into something great.

... Great way to start a podcast.

This will be interesting to say the least.

11. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

You guys did great for your first Pod cast!
    My Question is: Who are your favorite secondary characters?

12. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

I just want to thank all of you for posting all your comments and criticism because that way we can try to make the podcast better for you guys to listen. We will approach all of these ideas and techniques in our next episode. We are still not sure of the time range of per episode (once a month, once every two weeks). We do this for you guys and we are happy that it's getting positive response. (:

@Darkandroid: Who said we'll let you on? XDD jk I'll talk to you about it one day :)
    @Fayt: Can't wait for you to join us (:

13. Always Dance Chaser

Very glad about the concept! I like the earlier suggestion about music changes or intro tracks for segmentation, and the theorizing thing. Overall you guys did a good job even though it was a tad awkward sometimes, but I'm sure you'll get better. If there's any criticism I can offer, it's not to let things get a little too one-sided, I heard a lot of "Back to you, Mike!"(Which is shockingly familiar because my local radio talk show is called "The Mikey Show" and guess what the host's name is), but on a podcast I like to hear fair amounts of everyone. Maybe have each person "Host" a different section, I don't know.

Oh and one last criticism:
    I'M NOT ON IT WHY AM I NOT ON IT ARGH.

EDIT-ooh, i have an idea.
    Maybe members who get question times and have a microphone can answer their questions on the podcast. That could be kind of fun.

14. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

I had actually thought about this, but the amount of questions could add up very fast, plus many members have already had a QT and it wouldn't exactly be fair to them. So it's a good idea in theory, but I don't see this happening, at least not right away.

But yeah, thanks for all the feedback guys, we really appreciate it. :]

15. Always Dance Chaser

Yeah, I was thinking the length thing might be something to help boost the length of the podcast.
    Maybe(To accommodate both of the things you mentioned) there could be a separate podcast-only QT where you could limit it to one or two questions per person and have anyone who's already had a QT get to do one of those anyway.

16. Misty gimme kiss

I like the Question idea too, to get members into the actual recording why not just ask that they send in a recording of them asking the questions? c:

Okay, so my critiques:
    - Audio quality is a little fuzzy sometimes, it's not unbearable, but you can get a decent microphone for like $10. So just think about it--I know we can't have like studio quality but just saying. Though I shouldn't talk, my mic isn't amazing either, haha. Wolfie's got a LOT better as the podcast went on though, I'm not sure how that happened. xD
    - It does come off as kind of awkward, but I think that's more because it's the first time around. I think it'd do some good to just set up a Skype convo and talk to each other. It doesn't have to be about Kingdom Hearts, just get used to talking to one another.
    - Somebody was moving around a little way through and the background noise annoyed me. :c
    - The background music wasn't bad, I'm not a fan of having it because I get really distracted, but it was a little too distracting in the very beginning. It was better later on though. Stay away from songs with someone singing.
    - Be funny! You guys feel a little forced with the KH news, don't be afraid to give your opinions and chatter a bit.
    - Definitely do what was brought up about making it more structure, like "OH HEY TALKING ABOUT NEWS NOW" or whatever.
    - Don't hold the mics too close to you, they're supposed to be I think 6 inches from your face? I could hear some of you breathing sometimes and your laughs scared me too.
    - A few awkward pauses, not a big deal. Easy to edit out.
    - Sometimes I felt you guys talked really slowly, like maybe I just talk fast? But it felt very "umm... this is what I'm... saying, uh".
    - Drink water before (and during) recording, there were some dry mouth noises.

Anyway, it was good. :] Eager to hear the nest episode(s).

17. monstro567 Merlin's Housekeeper

You all did a great job on this podcast. I hope that you all continue with this podcast because it might just overthrow Screwattack.com's Sidescrollers, if you haven't listened to it you should it is really good, as my favorite podcast.

18. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This is great. Wolfie sounds way different than I expected but all in all it's awesome. I'd love to do it but I don't have an email...

19. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

I support the idea of having DA appear on the podcast!

20. Firechakram Traverse Town Homebody

The voice quality was pretty poor in this episode. You should probably get that fixed.

And I mean no offense, but your voices kind of annoyed me. You guys have weird accents. Are you all Canadian? That's that it sounded like. Also, sometimes you didn't speak clearly so it was difficult to understand you at times. Maybe all this will improve with better voice quality.

And the 3DS won't be $300. When the Japanese price was revealed, the USD equivalent was $300. That doesn't mean the USA price will be $300. It will be different. Other DS versions had different prices from the Japanese versions.

And did Wolfie's voice suddenly change around 3/4 into the cast?