Film Ironman 3 (Spoilers ahead)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Pein, May 11, 2013.

1. Pein Merlin's Housekeeper

What are your guys thoughts? I have watched it and thought it was okay. It was well done. But nothing so great. The comedy was good. And I loved how Tony was testing the suit in this one. Like how he did in the first one. I didn't really like the little boy in the movie. I think the movie would've done better if he wasn't in it. The interaction between Tony and the boy was alright. I like the vulnerability that Tony is showing in this film. How the past events left a mark on him, and that he finds out about other worlds, dimensions, and aliens etc... More character development.
    I love the twist with the Mandarin. It caught me off guard which I like. I don't like watching movies knowing what the ending is. Like most of the movies these days. I do have a few issues with the movie. That they really didn't touch up on.
    The main ones are That I wish they would've shown more of his suits. We saw a lot of them. But they were all over the place. Like the hulk buster. We only saw that one 5 second scene and that was it. The major one was that how Jarvis could control all these ironman models. Without the need of tony stark in them. When they showed that I was questioning what was the need for stark in them all this time? He could just build them. And Jarvis could do the rest. Another one was that this movie is about iron man. The last half of the movie Tony is getting beaten up, looses his wife. Jarvis is doing everything, gets beaten by that guy(forgot his name). Then his wife comes back and beats him up like nothing. Hes supposed to be the hero of the movie...

well that's enough. I give it a 8/10 What did u guys think lol? ( a lot to read I know/..... im sorry)

2. Arch Mana Knight

Fun fact, that armor was actually called Igor.

Jarvis isn't Tony. As seen when the Mandarin's forces attack Tony's house all Jarvis could do was complain about Mk. 42 not being combat ready. Tony got creative. When the suit could only carry 4 people Tony found a way around that to rescue the people falling out of the plane. Point is, just because Jarvis can control the suits doesn't mean it'd be better if Tony always let Jarvis do that. Tony's got brains, Jarvis is still just a program.

Um...did you watch a different movie or something? Tony was the hero. Everything impressive and noteworthy in the movie was done by him. He had already beaten the daylights out of Killian by that point and Pepper just lent a hand. She got injected by the Extremis virus too you know.

Honestly, I think this was the best of the three movies. Iron Man was an example of what good superhero movies should be, Iron Man 2 was...a gigantic ad for the Avengers movie, and Iron Man 3 really hit it on the mark. It was nearly perfect. The only thing I would have changed was the use of Extremis. I wanted to see Tony use it! Oh and it would have been nice if they had given Mk. 42 some actual combat features. It didn't have any great advantages over any other armor other than its looks. Oh well.

The movie was more about Tony than his suits. The ending proves that when he removes the shrapnel from his chest(which happens in the comics too). He's still Iron Man with or without the armor. Tony's the Batman of Marvel. Except better.

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Honestly, I really loved this movie. I said it before with a friend, and I'll say it again, it was better than The Avengers (which I also love).

The Avengers and Iron Man 3 have a very tight script, great direction, awesome characters, and great battle sequences. The only thing that Iron Man 3 has over The Avengers that one me over is that IM3 has a lot of depth and heart to it. This isn't a movie about him fighting off more terrorists, or even about Tony Stark. It's a movie about all the relationships that Tony is involved with, especially with Pepper Pots. He is healing from all kinds of damage, especially the ones that keep him very emotionally distant.

With the Mandarin twist, I really thought that was clever. I was thrown off for only a second, but once I understood what was going on, it was perfect and what went with the film.

The sequences with the suits throughout the film were also very clever an innovative. When they show you summoning the suit to himself at the beginning of the film, many other movies would have had that be brought back up either at the climax or at the final battle. Here, it's used in almost every battle in tense moment. It's used for a lot of humor (which really works) and for a lot of tension.

The ending is what really made me love this film. Once something happens to Pepper, there was only one way to end the movie from that point forward. In a way, throughout the entire film, it was showing you that there was only one way the movie could end. Tony may like to do things on his own, but he has to realize that he needs to allow others to come into his life and embrace them in order to save him (physically and metaphorically).

Great movie in my opinion. Can't wait to see it again.[DOUBLEPOST=1368332143][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think that Iron Man did a better ending than The Dark Knight Rises; and it's the exact same ending.

4. burnitup Still the Best 1973

Saw the film a while back and I think it was pretty good, could have been way better. When I first saw it I thought the Mandarin twist was pretty clever and rolled with it. However after some thinking, I started to feel they wasted some real potential with the character. The reason is because through the movie we are shown Tony has PTSD after the events in the Avengers. Because of all the stuff went down he feels a little unpowered in a world with aliens and gods, and is just the "man in can". I think if they had kept the Mandarin as Ben Kingsley and gave him his ten magic (alien tech) rings it would really play into Tony's PTSD, with Tony having to overcome his fears in order to defeat the Mandarin.

5. Hayabusa Venomous

Honestly, my favorite Marvel movie short of Avengers.

I'm still kinda torn on the Mandarin. On one hand, I REALLY REALLY wanted to see the rings from old, to see a clash between technology VS magic, emphasizing more on the power humanity can attain over mysticism. It felt cheap to have Aldrich be the "Mandarin" when he had almost none of the same powers. One the other hand, the twist was so clever that I felt it was brilliant: Aldric's plan worked across the 4th wall. Still, I was wondering why we even saw the parts where they were shooting the fake Mandarin's scenes and still called him Master...nobody was listening who would reveal the truth.

Anyway, this movie was definitely the most focused plot-wise. It drove home the point that Tony was becoming obsessed with his suits, and that was having an adverse effect on his human relationships (especially Pepper.) It felt right for him to have to start from basics with the little kid, and then destroy his suits at the finale and start from scratch, because it was literally a new life for him.

It's fascinating that this film had such a divisive response: some of my friends loved it, some didn't really care for it. I'm in the former camp.

Just...call Aldrich something other than Mandarin, that is the one thing I'd change. We already had a fake one. I don't expect the original Asian stereotype: I just want the rings.

6. Pein Merlin's Housekeeper

Cool I like your guys thoughts and opinions. What about the idea that tony got the shards removed from his heart? I know Tony stark is going to be in avengers 2. But im not sure about RDJ is gonna play him. Im not really a fan of ironman. And im not sure about the comics but is their a point in the comics where he gets the shards removed like in the movie? and does he still play the role of ironman in the future? or does he get Jarvis to do it?

7. Plums Wakanda Forever

He does get the shrapnel removed in the comics as well and takes away the arc reactor, because he gets the Extremis thing. He's still able to pilot the suit though since, I believe, he just builds the power supply straight into the suit. However, the Extremis causes problems with his brain functions and leaves him unable to manage his heart, so he gets the arc reactor back to regulate it when his brain was unable to.

8. Pein Merlin's Housekeeper

ok thanks. I didn't realize that was actually helping him think aswell.

9. burnitup Still the Best 1973

I was just thinking a moment ago and I just had a thought: if they did go with the actually magic rings Mandarin then by extent the would have opened up the possibility of Fin Fang Foom appearing in a later film!

For those not in the know, Fin Fang Foom is a space dragon who's race made the rings the Mandarin uses. Can you imagine how awesome Fin Fang Foom would be? How awesome he could look with the CGI we have today?!

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

As much as I agree with how much sense it would have made to actually make Mandarin's rings alien tech, that would have made the movie so much longer. They already had to cut down a bit. If they were to tie that in, I would have approved. But I prefer the current way it was done. Killian was a great take on the Mandarin.

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I'm not au fait with the comics but I adored the film. I thought it began to show what a burden the suits were on him when he had to carry it to the boys house. I like how it shows such a vulnerable side to him as if he's not the perfect superhero and makes him more human.

I liked the twist but I did guess it before it's reveal and when Trevor spoke with an english accent I just laughed xD He was a brilliant character. I thought Killian was very good as well and he was a brilliant villain.

I loved the special effects, they were so mesmerising xD I do wonder if there will be a film where Stark's house doesn't get destroyed.

I thought the little kid was great as it not only added in some comedy but also showed Tony stuck in an unfamiliar situation where he has to converse with kids and rely on them for help. Brilliant film, great development and loved the plot. Any more will have a lot to live up to.

12. Mysty Unknown

The movie was really well done. I did not expect in to actually connect with the Avengers in any way. That was a nice surprise. I also admired how Tony had to rethink his entire life and work from scratch. Overall, it was a better movie then Iron Man 2 was.

13. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Basically seconded. Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3 are the only two superhero movies that have made me feel feelings. AND I ALMOST LOST MY SH#% RIGHT THERE IN THE THEATER WHEN STG I WAS THIS CLOSE TO JUMPING UP AND SHOUTING YO DON'T F%&K WITH

10/10 motyay haters to the left STARK MAH DOGGGG

14. Hayabusa Venomous

Man...even if I did really like Iron Man 3...this theoretical synopsis of how it could have gone sounds so much cooler, and also makes way for better connections to new films, though I dunno about using the Hulk again. Putting Rhodey in threat and then actually killing him would have made the whole revenge thing a lot better as a motivation, and keep beats from the movie we got (Tony needing the help of a the little kid, Mandarin's video taped threats, the Extremis storyline)

15. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...I-I... What?! No! That's terrible! That entire thing is terrible. He kills off a character out of personal dislike, suggests the only superhero movie plot with a modicum of uniqueness in the last decade instead be boiled down to the hero and villain having an extended slugfest with barely any justification, constantly tries to make it a Hulk crossover with the reasoning that he has a boner for science talk, forces the mystic mumbo-jumbo angle because hey, this movie's already down the shitter, but maybe we can get a Doctor Strange film! He has the nerve to mock the ending despite it being one of the only films in recent memory where a spouse joins in the fight instead of cowering on the sidelines, he basically suggests that the entire PTSD arc, one of the very best bits of the film and the most humanizing element a superhero has ever had in history, be scrapped...

I don't think I've ever been so irrationally furious. I mean, I like to think I can always see where somebody's coming from, but this guy is just... a fucking manchild! An immature, disrespectful pinhead! No respect, that's what it boils down to. He just wants to gut the film and salvage the parts he deems acceptable. Which equates to turning it into a two-and-a-half-hour action wank, hold the visceral human emotions, with a side of pointless continuity nod. I am seven shades of overjoyed that this dumb bastard doesn't work for Marvel, or they'd be out of the film business for damn sure.

Ugh, makes me sick to read... Guaranteed I'm not touching his actual review of the film.

16. Hayabusa Venomous

I'm totally with you on how Pepper actually becoming part of the fight being good, but I still felt like Tony's revenge thing felt kinda weak, even if Happy was a close friend. Now while killing Rhodey off is a bad idea (especially with his justification), actually putting him in harm's way would have made the film feel a lot...heavier. Sure he gets attacked by Extremis troops and is captured, but he pretty much gets off scott-free throughout the film...I dunno, he felt wasted in the movie we got.

I do think we needs to lay off the actual film though. It honestly was better than most of Marvel's solo acts.

Like I said, having kept much of the actual film, while injecting some of his ideas, would have, in my opinion, been great, and I don't like how he wanted to essentially make it a Hulk/Iron Man movie. At least the Mandarin actually being the Mandarin with the actual rings would have been better: just take away the stereotype part of him. The movie suffered for avoiding the alien tech path, in my firm belief.

17. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I mean... he is in harm's way. He escapes it. Because he's a trained officer. That comparison also further serves to make Stark look weak and vulnerable, especially in the finale when it's shown he is complete garbage with a gun.

I think people are just desensitized and towards revenge plots because of how completely they saturate the market. It doesn't matter who or how many people die on your watch, it still hurts. Especially when they're close. It's just bias because Happy's not Coulson.

There are plenty of opportunities left in the Marvel film universe for the incorporation of mysticism. Just because they took a different path doesn't mean they took a worse one. Once again, are you sure it's not just bias? I didn't know anything about the Mandarin before watching the film, and I loved that particular twist. Most creative thing they could've done under the circumstances, if you ask me.

Not to mention, it's in keeping with the Iron Man series having a generous share of light-hearted moments, even amidst great tragedy. They'd have to throw that out if the Mandarin turned out to be a psychotic super-wizard challenging Stark to an honor duel. Not worth it in the slightest, even in exchange for the science vs. magic shtick.

18. Hayabusa Venomous

I want to make the argument that logic doesn't automatically equal good writing, but...yeah I'll just stop there before I end up with a foot in my mouth. He could be shown escaping all these things, but at least put him in some actual threat if all I'm asking.

As much as I liked the twist of Aldrich being the "real Mandarin", he didn't seem at all different from the Extremis thugs that we were seeing for most of the film. Like really, the only thing they didn't have that he did was his intellect (and being Guy Pierce).

I'm really trying not to hold bias towards the Mandarin we did get, because I did have knowledge of him before the film, but other than Aldrich being an awesome douche who uses someone else as the target villain, I didn't care about him. He was another smart guy with a grudge against Stark. Keep the PTSD, keep Pepper as being able to defend herself, but please make the Mandarin actually the Mandarin.

19. burnitup Still the Best 1973

While I do think this guy had some good points on what would have made Iron Man 3 better, but I'm mostly in agreement with Sforzato that this guy is a fanwanking imbicile.

Yes Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin with his "magic" rings, no for the possibility of a Dr. Strange movie (the guy failed to remember that the rings are actually alien tech not magic and the whole reason he thought that the rings might lay the ground work for a Dr. Strange movie was because the rings were magic, which they are not), yes Bruce Banner showing up (he does technically work for Tony and is his friend), no for the Hulk showing up and fighting along side Tony (that's just stupid), yes for Rhodey getting capture and the Mandarin kicking Iron Man's ass when they show up to save him, no for killing Rhodey off (instead have Rhodey be in the Hulk's place in this guy's Iron Man 3 and we'd be in business), etc, etc.

In sort, some good ideas but the guy is kind of an idiot.

20. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

Personally I didn't like this movie much.

I hated the twist with the Mandarin and the actual villains were so cliche. Dudes who glow red and explode? It sounds like something out of spy kids or shark boy and lava girl. If exploding villains was what they were set on I feel it could have been done better. The only thing that saves this movie for me is the actual character development for Tony. They showed more of a human side to him, but I wish we would have got more Iron Patriot action, like him actually being important when it comes to beating the bad guy. I felt what they did with Pepper, while admirable, was still a cheap attempt and getting feminist support. And they they fixed her in like .5 seconds leaving no serious consequences, and then at the end they undo the whole character development thing in my eyes for Tony by giving him a quick fix for his shrapnel problem. Like maybe if they'd built that up more through out the series it'd be okay but originally what was a serious problem for him gets fixed in five seconds out of nowhere. Why didn't he do that in the first movie then if it was so simple?