Interest Thread: Mafia-style RP?

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Arch, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arch Mana Knight

One word: Mafia.

With KHV having it's own mafia game up and running, the popularity of the game Town of Salem, and the oncoming release of FFXV(in its Versus days Noctis's family was described as a Japanese mafia), I got to thinking that an RP with a similar theme might gain some traction.

ANYWAY.

The idea is this:

There's a town under control of a mafia(big surprise!). The godfather is aging and has recently fallen sick. When a temporary leader steps up, local law enforcement takes advantage of the new leader's lack of experience when slip ups start to be made in order to capture members of the mafia. Meanwhile, a rival gang/family uses this opportunity to start encroaching on the mafia's territory to cease power for themselves, even if it means completely eliminating their opposition.

If anyone is interested, there's a few questions I've got:

• Magic is a common thing in this world. Yes or no?
    • Instead of magic, a more sci-fi method is used for gaining abilities. Possibly even illegally. Yes or no?
    • Set in current day(or a "near" future) or in the past(20's-40's American aesthetic)?
    • Should one of those three sides be removed from the equation? Only "mafia vs cops/town" or "mafia vs rival gang"?
    • Lots of realism or not? Ex: More realism requires the only viable weapons being guns, no magic, no sci-fi stuff either.
    • "Your idea is bad. Get a different concept." y/n?

Any other input would be appreciated.

2. cstar stay away from my waifu

By Mafia do you mean like, actual mafia style, or Godfather-styled mafia? One is a little more on the fantasy side of things while the other is, well, a lot more brutal.

Either way, I'm down.

3. Arch Mana Knight

Maybe a mix of both but leaning towards something more brutal. Any other comments so far?

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Sci-fi with a noir atmosphere would be amazing.

5. Arch Mana Knight

Sci-fi noir does seem like a good fit. Honestly, I think there might be more ideas to go along with that than "magic noir". If this gets more interest, this RP will definitely happen. If not, it's going on the back burner for a little while.

6. Doukuro Chaser

I saw the word mafia and was drawn in instantly.

"Magic is a common thing in this world. Yes or no?/Instead of magic, a more sci-fi method is used for gaining abilities. Possibly even illegally. Yes or no?"

Sci-fi Noir sounds interesting. If you go with this route perhaps genetic modifiers or whatever you go with being sold illegally by them and that is how they got to the top in the first place? Just a thought.

"Set in current day(or a "near" future) or in the past(20's-40's American aesthetic)?"

Could always go a Bioshock route but either way I'm down.

"Should one of those three sides be removed from the equation? Only "mafia vs cops/town" or "mafia vs rival gang"?"

I'm thinking it works as is but up to you of course. Would there be dirty cops as well? Either way this is a well layered cake.

"Lots of realism or not? Ex: More realism requires the only viable weapons being guns, no magic, no sci-fi stuff either."

Maybe semi-realism?

7. Aelin Best Waifu

Over all yes I am interested in this, could be a lot of fun

Magic is a common thing in this world. Yes or no?
    No

• Instead of magic, a more sci-fi method is used for gaining abilities. Possibly even illegally. Yes or no?
    Maybe, it could make things really interesting
    • Set in current day(or a "near" future) or in the past(20's-40's American aesthetic)?
    Past
    • Should one of those three sides be removed from the equation? Only "mafia vs cops/town" or "mafia vs rival gang"?
    Depends if you have enough players to make all three sides work, if you do than the three sides could be good, if not Mafia vs Rival gang
    • Lots of realism or not? Ex: More realism requires the only viable weapons being guns, no magic, no sci-fi stuff either.
    For this sort of RP I could imagine more realism being better
    • "Your idea is bad. Get a different concept." y/n?
    No, your idea is good, and you are already asking for input, so no complains here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.