Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Misty, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Misty gimme kiss

Wow wat how is there no topic for this. o_o Tell me if I'm an idiot and missed it.

Okay so I went to the midnight premiere last night.
    and omfg, it was amazing. While I do think that there were some good parts in HBP other parts dragged it down, but I don't think that that was at all the case with DH, especially considering how slow the book is.
    The decision to split it into two movies was definitely a good one, I quite liked where it ended too.
    I am going to be very sappy and lame and say that my favorite part was when Harry and Hermione danced after Ron left. <3 It was so perfect and wonderfully awkward and I'm sure Harry/Herms fans will be all over it (do they exist?) but it was great.
    I also was kind of surprised at the locket scene! haha. I mean it definitely was good, but wow, they did take it far.
    Also, Ginny is such a **** in these movies. ._.
    Also, Fred & George. <333
    Edit: OH! And the Hermione Bellatrix scene in Malfoy manor was so sad.
    At first I was kind of ehhh on Dobby's death/burial, but I liked the way he's like "Such a beautiful place to be among friends..." ;_____;
    Edit 2: Oh, and the animation during the Three Brothers story was great.

2. Arch Mana Knight

It lived up to expectations. To me at least. This was my favorite book in the series and my only complaints were that there should have been more Snape in the movie and that Hagrid should've been knocked off the bike during the "seven Potters" scene. Would've been awesome to see Harry say, "Accio Hagrid!" XD I laughed when I had read that.

I see no point in using spoilers since anyone going to see the movie should have read the books but I'll be nice and use them. B|

Dobby didn't get stabbed in the back. Just a small detail I wanted to point out. It's nothing major since it really doesn't matter where he got hit, he died the same way.
    Also, Pettigrew didn't die or get choked by his hand when hesitating to kill Harry(which he never did at all). Instead he got knocked out by Dobby.

Misty, your sig makes me only wish even more that Harry had used Sectumsempra in the movie. DX Would've been awesome if he used it for every single battle. The movie was more bloody than I thought would be shown. Also, the cast had said that their favorite part of the movie was when Harry and Hermione dance together so I can see why you like it too. I just kinda...found it pointless but that's just me.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that the scene at the Ministry wasn't extended. Harry and Hermione were supposed to go around saving people and stuff. (And of course Harry does most of the work there since he's the only one who can do a full Patronus.) There are a few minor things that I can't remember that I wish were added or spoken about like the name "Voldemort" having a spell placed on it so that anyone who said it could track the person down(although it did happen in the movie). Bellatrix's actress was the one who suggested that she carve "Mudblood" into Hermione's arm instead of just cutting it.

To be honest, this movie would've been twice as good if the sixth and fifth movies were better made since those are where Dumbledore explain a lot of things to Harry. Like how Sirius should've treated Kreacher better and how Pettigrew owed Harry his life and the same could be said towards Snape owing that same kind of "wizard" debt to Harry and a few other things. Since if those were mentioned...Pettigrew would've probably been showing some mercy to Harry and a few other things would've been closer to the book as well as a hint that Harry would end up treating Kreacher better than Sirius did. @-@

Anyways, the movie was amazing in my opinion and would've been better if Snape was the main character some things were elaborated upon.

^^

3. Misty gimme kiss

Ahh, I agree! I feel like those who go to see only the movies and haven't read the books (do they exist?) will be a little confused come the end, where we realize Snape was actually an awesome guy. I think we need to see him being Voldemort's pawn a little. :B
    Did that really happen? xD I can see why they'd take that out, I mean it's a pretty serious and intense scene. Something like that would have just detracted from that.
    I don't think anyone really cares about Pettigrew at this point, lol.
    Well it was pointless in the sense that they could take it out and the movie would still make sense, but I just thought it was such a sweet scene. Kind of sad in a way--if they didn't have this enormous burden of having to save all mankind, Hermione would be with Ron, Harry would be with Ginny, they'd be back at Hogwarts, everything would be okay. Instead, they have to sacrifice their relationships with their loved ones and almost kind of their lives just for this cause. Harry and Hermione have to kind of lean on each other through the whole thing.
    I also really love the Harry Hermione relationship, not as in "wooo they're made for each other," but their friendship. They both come from Muggle upbringings, so they can relate, and even though Hermione sometimes acts as a mother to Harry in a way, she's still very weak and needs his support.
    /sappy
    I thought Hermione could at this point?
    Anyway, I can see why they'd take that out, one of the major complaints people have had with this movie is that they don't really get anything done on the horcrux front. Because this was the only scene in which they actually obtained one, adding little things like that might have just drawn the scene out too much.
    They had the Snatchers but none of that, you're right.
    Cool points to her then, that scene was amazing.
    I know what you mean! Part of the reason I think I was so blown away by Deathly Hallows was because I've been disappointed with the previous movies. c: I do think that DH did suffer a little from the poor job on the previous movies, I mean they wanted to take Kreacher out of the fifth movie, for god's sake. Thankfully J.K. Rowling stepped in all "lol maybe not" but still. c': Movie was phenomenal.
    I want to see it again. ;B

4. Umiyuri Papaeyra Gummi Ship Junkie

Yep, they exist, and I used to be one, but then canon made me change my mind. The Harmonians are pretty famous in the fandom for being ravenous, by the way. O_O

Aaaaand I was one of those too. Ages back. Mom was the one who read Philosopher's Stone and took me to see the movie. I then went on a Potter rampage that lasted a good few years and resulted in me getting all the Harry Potter toys and a bunch of Lego sets and also those lovely ragdolls with the embroidered faces and the charm necklaces.

5. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I cried so hard when Hedwig died. I was crying before it happened since I knew it was coming up ;_; It was like my own dog died. Seriously when she died the image that came into my head was the scene when Harry first gets her.

Also the acting in it was phenomenal and I'm not saying that because I'm a fangirl but it just...was. I mean I could feel the torture in the scene with Bellatrix and Hermione.

I thought the scene was well placed. It was a good break from all the angst going on.

6. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

I wasn't really sure about it until i watched it. So yeah, it is a very sweet and funny moment. Even Rowling likes this scene ;)

I liked this scene, although it was slightly different from the book, but it was just a few details so i don't mind. I wasn't expecting though the kiss to be so passionate!

This scene made me cry. Actually it was the first time i cried watching a film. I even missed some of the burial scene (which wasn't as good as i would want it to be) because my eyes were all teary.

As for the Tales of The Three Brothers it was really beautiful but i think it would look even better if the colours were a bit darker.

As much as i hate them for not showing what truly happened, i realized that the image of a human,
    strangled by his own hand would raise the rating for the audiences and i doubt that this would be something acceptable by Warner for obvious reasons.
    This^

The way this scene was depicted was quite, well hard i assume is a proper word. I am not saying i did not like it, i can totally see Bellatrix acting like this but i was expecting to see her using curses and most important cruciatus. Anyway, it was fun listening to everyone in the room going "eeeewww" when Bellatrix bit Hermione :p

True all of that^

I believe that with half an hour more adding more details, not everything, i do realize this is impossible, that film would have been the better Potter one.

What really annoys me in DH is that Kreacher's tale was cut and there wasn't any emotion going on there (not to mention that they didn't show Kreacher hit Mundugus with the frying pan! I wanted to see that so bad!). That scene was really important not only because it is when Kreacher starts to show respect to Hermione, Ron and to his master Harry but we learn more about Regulus and most important this whole respect that is created towards Harry by Kreacher is what leads to the "riot" of the house elves during the final battle and their involvement in it. I mean, it was Kreacher who acted as the leader for the House Elves and brought them to fight! Hmmm..., come to think of it when it comes to House elves nearly everything is cut. How ironic.

This ^ is so true!
    It was the first time i watched a Harry Potter film and didn't have to feel awkward watching certain scenes. I am not saying that the actors are Oscar worthy but they did a brilliant job.

7. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

So like, I didn't see it, (I was reading the books, XP) but does this movie makes you exited about part 2? I"m going to follow the comment because I don't mind spoilers... BTW where does it end? (I'm going to watch the movie so don't get angry, XP)

8. Koda Destiny Islands Resident

Unlike most movies that have another part following it, part 1 of The Deathly Hallows doesn't give you a bad cliffhanger, but rather, makes you anticipant for the next part. It ends just as Voldermort opens Dumbledore's grave and takes the Elder Wand, then releases its power into the sky.

9. Xaale Sylph of Hope

I am extremely excited for part 2 after seeing this, and the movie ends
    with Dobby's death after the scene at Malfoy's manor, and with Voldemort retrieving the elder wand from Dumbledore's grave.

10. Kubo Kingdom Keeper

I did not like it. The plot was splitting every moment, and every 15 minutes someone would drink that thing and transform to someone else. When I left the cinema, I didn't remember any details from it.
    I have to admit though, it had some funny parts, like when Harry's face was deformed and looked like hunchback's. :P
    And it was about time that owl of his died, it was like 17 years old lol.
    I'd give it a 7/10.
    And I will be looking forward to the 2nd part.

11. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Harry got Hedwig when he was 11. Thus the owl was about 6 or 7 years old. That's a little less than half their life expectancy.

It's evident that the movie was really aimed towards people who read the books. I've seen numerous critics' reviews that say the plot was everywhere, there was no for-sure dramatic climax, and all they were doing was looking for horcruxes.
    That was kind of the whole point, though. The climax was in the end of the book, thus the real climax is going to be in the second part. The first part was supposed to build up to that. The whole thing in Malfoy Manor was meant as the climax of the first part, and that didn't even last that long.

Oh my Rowling, everyone disguised as Harry was hilarious. Especially Fleur. xD

And I loved the way that they animated the Tale of the Three Brothers. It felt very Tim Burton-y. c:

12. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

No offense but i assume you didn't really paid much attention since DH is pretty easy to follow even if you haven't read the books. Funny that you mention the polyjuice potion. In the books they use it a few more times, so in order to not become annoying or tedious for regular audiences, they slightly removed it. But it is used again later :p

I can't even reply to this.

I don't think so. One of my friends with whom i watched the film haven't read the books and he had no problem following the story. I was only asked about the mirror fragment that just randomly appeared in the film.

Besides, HP films are always aimed mainly towards fans/readers of the books. Those are who support the franchise all those years by watching a huge amount of times.

As for the reviews, i find it funny that in England DH didn't do so well, judging from a fair amount of reviews i have read, while here in Greece, were usually HP is considered a "Hollywood blockbuster" made for money by critics, it got very good reviews with scores varying from two to 3 and half out of 5 or four stars.

13. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I don't mean to say that the plot would be confusing to those who haven't read the books. It just wasn't clear what it was supposed to be leading up to. I have several friends who saw it who didn't read the books. They didn't not like it, they just thought it was anti-climactic. Like it was trying to build up to something that didn't happen (and it will happen instead in the second part).

It is funny, though; it being not as successful in the UK, where it takes place and where the film was produced, as it was in most other places. o.O

14. The Fuk? Dead

Well that's kinda how I felt. I didn't read the 7th book, and I thought the movie felt like it really was half of a movie. It isn't a bad thing, I felt like I got my money's worth. It had a couple of good scenes, just nothing that blew me away like most Harry Potter movie. It was a good movie, I'm just anxious to see what happens next.

15. eentje Traverse Town Homebody

Well I think its meant to keep people interested, Otherwise no one would go to part 2....

16. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

I guess you have a point.
    Personally i find the destruction of the locket scene somewhat climatic as well as the one with Bathilda (although it didn't work well as in the book) and the ending scene. But yeah,i see what you mean, the real climax will be the final battle.

17. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lol. I thought the locket scene was soooo weird. I mean Harry and Hermione are all shiny/metallic and making out and stuff. Emmy C perfectly redrew it here

[​IMG]

18. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Oh wow. XD
    I love Cicierega humour. c:

19. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

Well, I'd plug to my video review, but I know you guys probably don't care, so I'll just say that the film was quite enjoyable, if there were a few things that annoyed me throughout, and one thing that blindsided me into laughter in the cinema. That and BILL NIGHY WAS THERE!! He was stuck in Davy Jones mode but it's BILL FRIGGEN NIGHY!!!

20. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

"These are dark times, there is no denying-uh. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today-uh. But I say this to our citiznsnrznrey: We-uh, ever your servants-uh, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you-uh! Your Minisssstry remains, ssssstrong-uh."

Yeah, I know what you mean. ._. I'm starting to think that he talks like that on a regular basis.