girl gamers

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by dragonkid_ofhearts, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Spike H E R O

Just to add something to this thread:

Aaaaaanyway. My best friend (and first friend ever/ non-biological sister) is a girl gamer, so I know exactly what the hell I'm talking about when I say the "Girls can't play video games" thing is just....xD HILARIOUS.

2. heartless_angel Traverse Town Homebody

So stereotypical. I'm a proud girl gamer here. I really hate those kind of people playing it. I have been playing Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, and BBC2 online and I haven't encountered anything like that before (maybe because I had no headset xD). Either way, that was a mean thing to do and everyone should be respected even though if the gender is opposite.

3. Tadashi Merlin's Housekeeper

I know alot of girl gamers and some are actually pretty good. But what always happens in a lobby is that as soon as they talk, the guys there ask for sex. And it really makes guy gamers sound like mostly perverts and rapists. It's even more pathetic when those guys are like 13-16 thinking that they're all tough and shit. That actually pisses me off and I'm extremely tolerant, but when I hear those ignorant bastards I just lose it. :roar:

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I find it extremely annoying when guys say girls can't play. I was once around my friends (who's a guy) and we were playing multiplayer offline call of duty and then he was telling me how to walk up a ladder and was surprised when I could actually kill him! I was very annoyed, and if I'm playing Team fortress 2 or Left 4 dead 2 all the guys get surprised when they find out I'm a girl and I'm not that bad. I enjoy gaming, a lot of my friends think I'm strange since I don't go out and buy make up every saturday XD (okay exaggeration) or that I don't know the designer clothes shops from the regular ones, I'm just not into that sort of thing. I don't think we girls should be treated any differently when playing, even though no one has ever asked for sex I find that some guys would do that disgusting.

5. RikusLight Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm a girl gamer and I can't stand when guys think girls can't game. A few years ago one of my guy friends kept saying girls can't game and we went back and forth. The one time we did play I beat him and he said I hurt his ego. I even showed him an article that said there were more girl gamers online then guys and he said it was probably one of those made up articles. I've been gaming since I was young. My grandma played games too. She even drew her very own map for all the dungeons and everything for Legend of Zelda A link to the past.

6. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

This is why I'm glad my younger brother has been growing up with a gaming sister (me). I think it actually causes him to be surprised when a girl CAN'T/DOESN'T play videogames.

If only we could get past the sexist ideas of the world and see that females are just as capable as males in a lot of situations. I'm gonna be a gaming grandma myself one day and no one is going to ruin it for me.

7. Arch Mana Knight

Girl gamers are rather common nowadays. Good gamers however...slightly less but then again, how many good gamers are there around? XD This question doesn't really mean anything though since this is a fansite for a video game though.

I think all of my female friends play/can play video games. The one thing girls are bad at however, is math. >8D Anyways, if there were no girls playing video games, a lot of things would be more boring since companies still get a lot of money from girl gamers. More money usually equals better games...usually.

8. Key master Sora Traverse Town Homebody

In everyone's hearts as the connection....
    My friend went on X-Box live the one day and some guy told her he would give her 4000 Microsoft points if she made sex noises over the mic or sent him pictures of her doing inappropriate things.... XP

9. RikusLight Merlin's Housekeeper

Not all girls. My cousin, who is a girl, is very good at math.

But I think mainly guys are afraid to be beaten by a girl.

10. Key master Sora Traverse Town Homebody

In everyone's hearts as the connection....
    I am perfectly fine at math thank you! XP

11. Tadashi Merlin's Housekeeper

Hahahaha....I know many smart girl gamers. They make awesome friends cuz they don't rage about thier k/d every time they die alot. XD

Although I am better than the girls I game with as long as we're having fun I don't care if they or any other girl gamer beats me.

12. The Graceful Assassin It's Just Like Christmas Morning

Oh this thread...may as well add...I guess.

Now, I'm not a girl, but I do know. I was playing Nazi Zombies one day, and some girl came. The boys kept telling her to **** off and let them get the points or whatever, even being harassed. It's the just the teens (or children) thinking they're so cool trying to "bust of move" in front of everyone or saying **** off n' stuff. It's just how they look at things. I haven't ran into most except there, but still. The parents of them might just not care. The children on the other hand a little different. Parents might not care, or it's just that the parents raised them poorly.

13. Tadashi Merlin's Housekeeper

I know right? All these kids now a days talk all big over thier mic. Especially to girls...I think they have a crush on them...

14. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AP student here ._.'

Its like you guys are comparing us to the women back then who could not vote. Of course guys are going to be like "gtfo girl this game is for men" its like "gtfo boy this cheerleading is for girls" or "gtfo fat chick this sport is for skinny people". etc etc.

But I never knew it was as big as a problem though until I read some things on here, I guess this is something more seen on Xbox Live? Anyways I just think the main problem is that testosterone is kicking in and they feel the need to show off and act like a man and impress the chicks (similar to an action of a Peacock) But since its online it will encourage the boy/abuser to be more brash about the matter.

15. Gobolo Traverse Town Homebody

My oh my... So many stereotypes in this thread.
    That's the thing about gaming I guess. A lot of stereotypes.
    If it's any consulation I do not treat any girl gamers differently. I am courteous to all.
    However I will say two relevant things about gamer stereotypes:
    Girl gamers who play FPSes are stereotyped into being hardcore chicks who are likely to reteliate due to the harrasment.
    And
    Girl gamers who play RPGs are stereotyped into being more effiminate chicks.
    These stereotypes explain the actions guys make towards girls.
    For FPSes the guys who are pricks think "Ooh! A girl! She must be hardcore and hardened against harassment because she's playing CoD! Therefore she won't mind if I hit on her!" My advice for those who get a hard time from these pricks is to fight fire with fire or so to speak with witty comebacks whilst you prove that you are just as good at gaming as them. As Sabby said it shuts them up.
    For RPGs the many people find that the guys are more polite. I'm pretty sure it's because the guys aren't getting adreniline pumped times.

16. Sara Tea Drinker

This always reminds me of Big Bang Theory when Penny plays Halo and keeps killing Sheldon...

I'd post the link if I didn't think the admins wouldn't like it, and no, it's not anything inappropriate cept the good ol' Halo violence that's commented on. <>

Anyway... I have always played video games, I always will play video games. I don't play FPS mostly because me and aiming don't work well together. *died 8 times in the first level of DOC* And yes, I counted, and yes, I know I'm probably not the norm on it.

But I've played since practically the Nintendo age started. Next to my bro playing the SMS all the way to the Wii solo. I think it's wrong for the guys who are playing to make such rude comments. But there's always going to be trolls like that. There's sadly, not much you can do about that. As I post this, a friend of mine is telling me about a squad of all girls who slaughtered fifty men while only lose 12 of their own on equal terms.

If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does.

17. Patman Bof

18. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

That pisses me off. Not the statistic, the name of the page. Not all girls who game are girl gamers.

There's a difference between a girl gamer and a gamer girl. To clarify, the former is the one who can't shut up about her sex and uses it to get game-halting amounts of attention, while the latter is the fully-formed, mentally stable human being who actually plays games and happens to be a lady. I am privileged to know more gamer girls than girl gamers, and just as well, because I would probably be tempted to smack a girl gamer straight in the mouth and tell her, "Shut up and play."

19. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think there's any real distinction personally; if we're going to play semantics here, we might as well just use gamer, just as we're now supposed to use 'actor' for both males and females. If you see a difference in the terms I think that's more of an opinion rather than a fact. ;o

20. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I'll have to agree on Misty with that. If you personally make that distinction and have a group of friends that follow it then great, but that isn't a distinction I have ever heard before and it is unfair to expect everyone to follow it.

As others have said it depends largely on genre now adays. The main issue with sexist comments is on FPS games. When you get into other genres then it lessens. I don't play FPS games personally (I suck, reeealy badly. I usually end up trying to see how far into the negatives I can get my kills by the end), but I have plenty of friends that do and will leave any game that has those *******s in it after apologizing to the girl first).

And on a side note. This video fits really well but it kind of vulgar for the more innocent among us.
    XBox Girls Get Revenge