Film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Harry Potter universe film)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Arch, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Arch Mana Knight

Featuring J.K. Rowling as its screenwriter!

Source: TheWrap

So a new Harry Potter film series! Woo. I encourage anyone who hasn't read the book(same title as the film) to actually read it. It's small but fun. Of course, the only relationship to Harry Potter this thing has is the fact that it takes place in the same world. That's all. I'm excited though.

2. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah, I've seen some people complaining about the fact that it doesn't follow Harry's story, but...why would you want it to? His story is over and wrapped up nicely (a bit too nicely in my opinion, but eh, whatever. At least Harry's happy). Focusing on Harry again would mean Rowling would have to bring some exciting conflict into his life once more, and after everything he's been through, do we really want that for him? Especially now that he's a married man with a family and has even more to lose.

I'm really curious about JK Rowling's screenwriting skills and how much will carry over from her prose. They're such different mediums. Plenty of people are good at both, but others have trouble crossing over.

The article also says there will be "characters familiar to devoted readers," so I'm hoping for some really cool minor characters to show up, or at least be hinted at. There are plenty of characters that were touched on in the series that had the potential for so much interesting exploration.

3. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

What i find interesting in this, is that we will finally see wizards in the U.S since the movies will take place, i assume mainly, in N.Y. At the same time i have to admit that when i first read about it, it slightly bothered me since i dont know how the U.S will fit into a world which this far we have only experienced in England and in other parts or Europe.

Aside from the obvious milking of the HP universe, even in the announcement it is pretty much stated as so, i do not understand how can such a tiny instruction book be made into a series of films. I really don't want to experience another Hobbit. The fact that Rowling herself is the screenwriter gives me a lot of hope as she will be comletely free to explore her universe and do as she please but on the other hand if there is a pressure for more than one films i can oly wonder how far can she explore the story of Newt, the writer of a book. I assume we will see the adventures of sir Scamander as he is trying to collect information on the various magical species to write his book and along the way surely Dumbledore will make an appearance, but still the source material seems a bit poor for a series of films.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

INFO!
    • Eddie Redmayne (Les Miserables; The Theory of Everything; Jupiter Ascending) has been officially cast in the role of Newt Scamander! [1]
    • David Yates, David Heyman, and Steve Kloves are all returning from the Harry Potter films to help with the production of the first film, in directing, producing, and screenwriting capacities, respectively (though Kloves is working alongside Rowling). [1] [2] [3]
    • The first film in the trilogy is expected to hit theaters on November 18, 2016.

5. Misty gimme kiss

I'm actually a bit upset to learn Redmayne was cast in the lead role. I've never been fond of him, but that aside, I'd have liked to see a lesser known actor play the lead while saving some of the big names for secondary roles, like how the Harry Potter film franchise was. Granted, that may not have been an intentional choice so much as one forced by the story (Harry & co. had to be fairly young, and there aren't many well-known child actors).

Glad to see I'll have plans for my 22nd birthday, though. :B

6. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Katherine Waterson (Inherent Vice, Boardwalk Empire) has been cast as Porpentina (Tina for short), a witch living in New York who becomes Newt's love interest; the role is described as pivotal. American singer-songwriter Alison Sudol has been cast as her younger sister, Queenie.

An open casting call is going out this Saturday for girls age 8-12 in East London for the role of Modesty, said to be a haunted young girl.

[1] [2] [3]

7. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I'm pretty excited for this. The Harry Potter series was nothing short of magical, and though it went through its number of directors, I was impressed with J.K Rowling's handling of the studio. This should be nothing but gold, considering how well done the fifth, sixth and seventh Harry Potter books were. Who better to write the movie then the author of the universe herself?

And if her twitter is anything to go by, she has thought out every possible plot hole.

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(L-R: Katherine Waterson as Porpentina Goldstein, Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander, Alison Sudol as Queenie Goldstein, Dan Fogler as Jacob Kowalski)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, the film's logo!

[​IMG]

The film has several social media pages now, as well as its own official website.

Official site | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

EDIT: Synopsis is here!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  9. Misty gimme kiss

Really like the logo, not digging much else about the screens. The outfits aren't quite as thrilling as I hoped and I'm upset by how white the cast seems, especially considering it will be set during the 1920s (and therefore hopefully go into flappers and jazz).

10. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I'm getting a serious Doctor Who vibe off of those myself. Though it is hard to judge much yet as only one of those looks like it might be a screenshot (the rest being promos or behind-the-scenes dealies) still plenty excited.

11. Misty gimme kiss

Oh yeah, Redmayne's outfit definitely resembles Matt Smith's during S7 of Who:
    [​IMG]

12. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The glowing stick and the bigger-on-the-inside suitcase probably don't help.

13. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Teaser trailer arrived today:

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New trailer!

15. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I kinda have mixed feelings on "Hedwig's Theme" being used in the trailer. On one hand... yay, I love that theme! On the other hand... it makes "Fantastic Beasts" less of its own thing, and more like a spinoff of "Harry Potter" (which it is, yeah, but until the theme was used in the trailer, it really felt like this was a completely new story that just happened to be set in the world of Harry Potter).

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

New trailer from Comic Con!

17. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Final full trailer is here!

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

So apparently this is getting bumped up from a trilogy to a five-movie series, and I'm not sure how to feel.

x

19. jackdaniel0 Twilight Town Denizen

Sadly, I haven't expressed as much interest in this new series as I really should, seeing that Harry Potter is definitely one of my favorite franchises. Though that probably has to do with me seeing barely any trailers and I still will definitely go see it when it comes out. From what I have seen, I am impressed with the CGI and premise! Definitely looking forward to seeing how Rowling handles this. Hope she does great as a screenwriter, this could be some new breakout role for her or something.