Eragon VS Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arch, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Who would win in a fight Harry or Eragon?

1. Eragon

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Harry Potter

42 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. Chuck Norris! JK Option 3 is its a tie and/or they both die.

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Keyblademaster125 Destiny Islands Resident

2. JazzsVideos Gummi Ship Junkie

They both die...... That is all...

3. Arch Mana Knight

So much bias...Just because you like one series more than another doesn't mean that character would win in a fight. I like both equally....but Eragon would win hands down. Harry wouldn't have time to even take a wand out. He'd be dead before he knew what happened. It's really an unfair fight. Eragon would beat Harry in any fight. With or without his sword and Saphira.

4. Cyanide King's Apprentice

I've neve read Eragon, but the movie can fellate me. I refrain from passing judgement on the series itself from that alone though, because it's a movie adaptation.

I did however, read HP and I liked it. I finished Deathly Hallows in one sitting.

5. Vexen_Is_God Gummi Ship Junkie

Option 3. They both die because both of their epic fail cancels each other out.

6. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Eragon would totally own Harry, just cuz Harry is totally immature, and Eragon thinks one word, Harry flops over. It would take all of five seconds.

7. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

True, because Harry's power is limited to his own knowledge, while Eragon can make up any spell he wants in a few seconds with the Ancient language. Biasness is not my thing here. I have read all of both of the books...

8. Skylight_Defect Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm not big on either one but I still say Eragon is way better.

9. Shuhbooty moon child

I'm not much of a fan or either books.
    D:
    So I'll have to go with Eragon, because I like dragons, and Fantasy... with dragons and sword.
    xD

10. Ultimecia sorceress

Agreed. Never read Harry Potter anyway

11. *FinalFlash*Screamer Destiny Islands Resident

Also agreed.
    Wand-waving isn't really my forte'.
    Sword-slashing I can support.

12. Serbkiller Destiny Islands Resident

13. Spunk Ransom you're already perfect

Harry Potter all the way.
    There is no competition for me.

14. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

go harry all the way. i love eragon a lot, too, but harry's just going to be a classic for the next hundred years and we all know it. :D

15. ILuvPie Merlin's Housekeeper

It's pretty close. They're both really good books!

16. Mythological Omega Merlin's Housekeeper

I find myself enjoying Harry Potter much more than Eragon. I quit reading Eldest about halfway through but I can still read the Harry Potter series in its entirety and not be bored.

17. Redeyesblackdragon Twilight Town Denizen

Thats not fare, not fare. How could harry potter be in the lead its boring and lasts for three to four hours every movies, its like a series on tv, compared to how many movies Harry Potter has out.

18. Destined Working for WDW

I believe that the reason we are drawn to both books is not because of the realm of magic, but because of each authors background. Eragon was written by a 14 year old while JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter while she was living on the street (if memory serves, it was written on the back of napkins). Because the backgrounds and story of HOW the stories came about is so unique, I believe that is what originally grabbed peoples attention.

Given a story element, I have to say that Harry Potter, allthough following a set story arc and branching off into a vast world of sub stories, combines elements and themes that have not fully been accepted in children/adolescent lit.

Eragon, shows the struggle of a boy to find himself and to bring down the ruler....i'm blanking on the name. In my opinion, this is far to similar to star wars meets Lord of the Rings. The second book bored me up until the end and because of this, it took me close to a year to read it. Meanwhile, i've read all seven harry potter's multiple times because the story is more unique and I feel it is better written.

Now i'm not bashing the kid for creating a story of this caliber at the age of 14. I give him mad props for doing it, but each book doesn't have the same following. If i can recall, the first book sold tons, while the second book and maybe even the third book have slipped. I think this is because people kind of expected the kid to be able to emulate his idea and go crazy with it, but I feel that people realized that the book was a cookie cut out that had very little of anything 'new'. I say new, i'm talking about something that we've not seen in the genre.

So if we were basing this poll on the books, I will say that the Harry Potter series is far superior in my opinion. If we label it specifically on the character, I'm going with Harry Potter simply because most of us grew up reading these books. We relate with him as best we can and we've gone through some similar instances. (struggling with love, sports, being ostrasized by your family, death, feeling accepted, etc). We've also seen more books, thereby letting us learn more about Harry which would make him a more grounded and concrete character.

19. Mythological Omega Merlin's Housekeeper

That's your opinion. I like Harry Potter better than Eragon.

20. Hopefulwishes Traverse Town Homebody

I didn't bother reading what everyoe else posted. All I have to say is that Harry Potter pwns. XD I know, I'm such a dork. BUT...Honestly, it's all a matter of opinion.