Do you ever find your tastes in RPs change?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Hiro ✩, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

So lately I've noticed I'm not all into RPs on here anymore. I'm more into stuff that develop characters as opposed to being mission based, or posting abridged posts in spoilers and being funny, or that are story based.

Lately, the stuff I see on here isn't that interesting. I keep waiting and hoping that I'll wake up to something like a murder mystery that allows you to develop characters as much as you want in such little time, especially knowing they can be killed off at any moment. Things with original concepts as opposed to already-made things (some stuff are exceptions, but they're pretty dark, or at least can be).

In a sense, has the type of RP you like to be in changed from your first one to now? Or do you still like the same kind of stuff as always?

2. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Hmm, can't say I really feel the same way. Then again, there's only one rp I'm a part of, which I've contributed a large part to its main plot, and a bunch of my characters in it are integral to the overall plot, hence why I'm always engaged in it. Hell, I've even planned out how the stories for each of my characters will end. And even for those characters who aren't integral, I always try to find a way to fit them into the overall plot, even if it means just using them in a post or two. If there were times I would lose interest in an rp, it would only be because the main plot can't be moved forward as much as I would like it to. But I see where you're coming from, and at least I now know why you haven't been posting with Cammy in HSD. If I have contributed in anyway to your loss of interest, I am truly sorry, as it was never my intention. And I do hope your interest in the rps you participate in gets revived.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Yeah, definitely. I know one thing that changed for me was playing non-original characters. I didn't mind it and I used to enjoy trying to faithfully portray characters, sometimes with my own twist, but now, it feels...weird. I do take inspirations from characters, but I almost refuse to play an existing character. I'm not sure why (nor that I won't at all, but it takes more persuasion for me to play someone non-original than original). A side-effect like that is that I rarely join or make RPs that aren't original. The only exception, pretty much, are superhero RPs (and usually, it's only if I make them myself). There is another exception for this RP, if I ever finish it, but besides that, I stick to original.

I also have gone more towards story-driven Rps and not character driven whereas when I first started, I loved the character aspect of it more. I also join less so I can spend more time on certain ones, though it's sometimes not as enjoyable because they're usually more complex than joining 4 simple ones.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Eh...technically my tastes have changed but to be specific it's more like they expanded rather than completely changed. Though since I've been getting older and busier...and I'm much more experienced now, I don't really join "nooby" RPs anymore. After RPing here for 6 years you kind of develop really high standards.

5. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

My tastes have not changed so much as how I perceive it. For one thing, I think it's unfair when somebody has ultimately decided "I will not join this RP, because it is based off a pre-existing idea, and there is absolutely no way its creator can bring something new to the table." The whole idea that KH-related Fanfics and RPs are somewhat passe on a KH-vids? I've never been able to grasp that. I used to think, as an actor, I will only pick good shows, and they will be good the first time I read through them. The reality is, that if you work on something long enough and, at it's core, it's enjoyable, then the idea will grow on you. When it comes to somewhat inexperienced Roleplayers, I would like to join just in sheer contemplation of something so terribly simple that I can just play my part without really stressing what I'll do next. I think of the Arena the same way one would think of a stage. We are actors portraying different characters, but that does not mean we cannot and shouldn't do a fan-based RP every now and again. In fact, as experienced as many are and the different qualities each particular individual possess, I would like to see a more advanced version of one of those fun little ideas I fell in love with as a younger teen. I play a mean Luxord, because of my own vocabulary and understanding of the character. I suppose that's where the charm has lost its appeal: we have lost an understanding with the characters we did not write. To me, it is just as difficult and just as rewarding to create a good character as it is to portray an existing one accurately. There should be no stigma associated with the matter, which I find is all too common among the KHV population.

Also, as much as I enjoy the survival RPs, I would not say that is the only way to do something where there is character development. There is, in most active original RPs that I have seen, not a mere possibility of a characters death, but it is basically guaranteed. The imminent death is as concrete as any stringent backbone of a franchise that has fans. It's a current fad, and a rather interesting and entertaining one, and I really hope it doesn't wind up like the fan-based RPs; overdone and cast aside.