Film Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Tyrant Valvatorez, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Tyrant Valvatorez Gummi Ship Junkie

Trailers out!
    Lets cross our fingers that this will be a great movie!

2. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

Iron man 3 looked better than it was on trailer also, lets wait.

3. ShibuyaGato Transformation

The trailer's alright. I'm not a big fan of Black Widow as she was in Iron Man 2, but it looks like her character will be more of what we saw in The Avengers, and that's good.

Bringing Captain America into the modern day is risky, but it looks like they're handling it well by incorporating SHIELD. I'm keeping my hopes up until another trailer is released, but the second part of the Marvel Cinematic universe is looking fairly strong between Winter Soldier and Thor: The Dark World.

4. Iskandar King of Conquerors

Exactly how many times is SHIELD going to lose its helicarrier? And for that matter, how much money are they spending for a new one each time? They really need a better way to hide themselves.

The trailer looks pretty good though, but I don't know much, or rather anything, about the Winter Soldier, so I'm interested to see how this turns out

5. 61 No. B

As I said in my spam-zone thread, this movie looks amazing. You can get a good idea of what the movie is going to be about thematically from the trailer, and based on that it seems genius and exactly where you would want to go with Cap post-NY.

I can't wait.

Also, nitpick, not loving the straight hair on Romanoff.

6. Hayabusa Venomous

Forgot to say that I saw the film last Wednesday.

Pretty solid flick. I liked the espionage-tinge to the story, exploring the themes of national security being abused, what Steve Rogers thinks about S.H.I.E.L.D.'s plans, his relationships with Nick Fury and Natasha Romanoff, and even how the people working for S.H.I.E.L.D. feel about the ideals of their superiors. More thought provoking and well-balanced than Thor's latest film venture (which was still enjoyable, but had a really forgettable villain and confusing motives for certain characters.)

Think you guys who enjoyed Cap's first film will enjoy this even more.

7. ShibuyaGato Transformation

WOW. I saw it on Friday, and it defied every expectation I had and then some. I went into it knowing that Bucky was the Winter Soldier, but even that twist was secondary to SHIELD being Hydra 2.0's breeding ground. I will admit, I expected Arnim Zola to play a bigger role a la MODOK, but the way they dropped the bomb on you was really well done. The way they handled the characters and their struggles with morality was so perfect, and I feel like they added just enough humor in between running for their lives and rushing to save the world to keep it balanced.
    And I hope to god I'm not the only one who started squealing at the mention of Doctor Strange. AAAAAHH!

Long story short, Avengers 2 needs to be fantastic if it wants to be better than TWS.

8. Mysty Unknown

I agree that it blows away expectations with the story and villain roles. I didn't see a lot of things coming. Hydra as Shield was brilliant. Now for Avengers: Battle of Ultron, things are going to be a slow start I assume since now SHIELD is destroyed and their are less ways to alert everyone.

Not sure if you stayed for the end credits, but one part is that Hydra is still active and now has that broken as hell weapon from Thor as well as two extremely interesting characters from X-Men aka the twins. Even further in it shows Bucky attempting to learn about his past, which I find great.

Also note, that I assume some information will be given in Guardians of the Galaxy since it has been confirmed to be part of the same universe. 2 more movies and Phase 2 is over. Then we can enter Phase 3 with Ant-Man and Captain America 3, since those are the only two confirmed titles after Avengers 2.

9. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I wrote a very formal review, which I will link, giving my critical impressions on it. Of course, when it comes to writing a review, it's hard for me to express my own personal opinion on it. So, that will be the bulk of what I say here.

Oh my God, I love this movie. I definitely think that it's better than The Avengers, but didn't quite make it as my favorite film in the Marvel Universe; that goes to Iron Man 3. The two movies are pretty close in my head too; the only reason I like IM3 just a bit more is because I liked the final action sequence in that better than in Winter Soldier. Anyway, this had a lot of great moments, and had a story that felt very organic and had the characters running everything. Even while I still will complain about the "Oh, Nick Fury isn't really dead" thing, I can look past it when I look in deeper and see that Fury is very self serving, and will manipulate people in doing his bidding by any means necessary. I'm not quite sure if we should trust Fury as much anymore.

Non spoiler: Iron Man 3 > Winter Soldier > Avengers and TRUST NO ONE!

10. Krowley Moderator

Instead of going on and on about my opinions on things (Which have already more or less been stated) here are just the things I fanboyed at, or just generally liked the most;

- Everything to do with Winter soldier
    - The Morality and trust scenes
    - They made Falcon look bad@ss
    - EZEKIEL 25:17 (A bible passage written on Nick Fury's tombstone. Samuel L Jackson recited this passage in Pulp fiction)
    - Marvin Gaye soundtrack from Trouble Man
    - Dani Pudi shows up!
    - Computerized Zola
    - Pop culture list Steve needs to catch up on
    - Baron Von Strucker (Also to appear in Age of Ultron)
    - Doctor Strange tease (Stephen Strange as a Hydra target)
    - F*CK YEAH Post credits ending of Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch (Twin children of the famous Magneto)

11. Glen Returned from the dead

Saw this movie last thursday. Absolutely frickin loved it. I'm a fan of the marvel movies in general, but this one blew me away. The storyline, the music, the combat scenes, it all just went so well and I cannot wait to see what else they do with the next one!

12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I loved this movie. My one major gripe is the the Winter Soldier was too much of a background villain (I mean, he obviously wasn't going to be the one in charge, but he's the title of the movie. Not saying I'd give him a bigger role, but I would have changed the name of the movie [but I would have loved a little more of him]). Both disappointed and pleased at the fact that
    Alexander Pearce wasn't the Red Skull revived even though I'm now confused because I could have sworn the track listing had dubbed that scene that...but it also got the post-credits scene wrong so meh. But looking back, that definitely could just been a metaphor.

My favorite part had to be the action. Oh my god, non-stop action. I totally didn't expect for
    S.H.I.E.L.D. being thrown out the window. I would never have done or expected that. Though that gives me ideas for a script spinning off of Avengers into a Secret Avengers composed of Iron Patriot, Falcon, Lady Sif, Black Widow under a new alias (Mockingbird), and led by Maria Hill and Tony Stark (notice how I didn't say Iron Man). Hell, throw in Blonsky from Incredible Hulk if you really want to get a little crazy

Obviously,
    Hydra is still around. I'm wondering if they're going to be behind Ultron's corruption in Age of Ultron.
    Also, how was Arnim Zola not used as the Clairevoyant in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Anyways, easter eggs
    -Stephen Strange? yessss.
    -Agents Sitwell actually having a decent role that tied into Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    -Rumlow wearing a Crossbones-esque outfit and final scene was a nice little one. I missed the fact that he was supposed to resemble Crossbones' costume in comics.
    -Pulp Fiction/Samuel L. Jackson reference was great.
    -I didn't recognize him (since I have no idea what he looked like), but Ed Brubaker making a cameo as one of Bucky's scientists was such an awesome thing for them to do.
    -Where was Hawkeye? Even if he was on a mission, no mention at all? Apparently, they wanted him in there, but couldn't have a big enough role for him and wanted to avoid his lack of use, a la Avengers. So they put in a single line mentioning where he was, but it got cut.
    -lol @ the guy from Community.
    -It's so obvious (so obvious that they might trick us and not do it?) that Bucky will replace Steve as Cap after Captain America 3 so seeing him with the shield was pretty cool.
    -Why didn't they reveal Agent 13's last name as Carter? Comic-wise, she's related to Penny.
    -ahhhhh, the Twins. Elizabeth Olson has the part down, no word about it. Quicksilver looks pretty cool, still a bit worried how his superspeed will be shown in live-action. it's a hard thing to pull off. Also, I keep forgetting how buff his actor is and how old his wife is
    -Wargames Joke, Natasha? Really?

13. ShibuyaGato Transformation

After seeing the movie again yesterday, just thought I'd point out another fun little easter egg.

Natasha was wearing an arrow necklace throughout the film. It's especially noticeable when they're crashing at Falcon's place after Zola drops the plot bomb. I thought it was a cute detail to add in.

14. Arch Mana Knight

I was a little surprised at how much Tony, his company, and his father were mentioned in the film but glad because it makes sense. Stark Industries is huge. And Stark is smarter than everyone at SHIELD.

Seeing him as a target made me want to see him help out the Captain but then I remembered his suits are destroyed. Unless he already made new ones...which is totally possible.

I just wish there was more of the Winter Soldier.

15. afterwish Moogle Assistant

Got to see the double feature for Captain America thanks to my boyfriend,
    and this movie turned out so much better than I had originally expected.

Captain America was already my favorite Marvel Character, but I wasn't expecting
    him to be seen as a 'traitor' in the movie since he's always been someone to follow rules
    and believe in team-work, but I'm glad that he noticed how much has changed since his time,
    and how much he brought out his patriot side.
    Plus him speaking French in the beginning of the movie was a plus. Whew ~

His best friend being The Winter Soldier threw me off, but I was immensely impressed with him coming back.
    He was a favorite in The First Avenger.

16. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

The movie was amazing, despite the fact that I already knew what was going to happen. (Comics) I loved how well choreographed the action scenes were, ESPECIALLy the one involving the Winter soldier. Honestly, I think they really stepped it up after the First Avenger.

17. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Just saw this movie the other day-- VASTLY better than the first Captain America movie. I'm actually pretty excited about the next one to come out now.
    Also, did anyone else read the thing about how, depending on the country you view it in, the list of things he has to catch up on changes? (EX: In the UK, the Beatles are on the list, Oldboy in South Korea, Daft Punk in France, etc.) I thought that was actually really cool.

Solid 8/10 movie. Would watch again, would recommend.