Film Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Gamefreak103, Jul 21, 2013.

1. 61 No. B

when i watched the trailer the last thing i expected to see was Gotham by Gaslight Batman

my apprehension for this movie is very slowly being taken away with each trailer. it's looking so good.

2. Hayabusa Venomous

I really want to know just what the hell Clark is doing near the beginning of that trailer, in the city. Like, is he fighting someone?

3. 61 No. B

i'm pretty sure that's Bruce in Metropolis during the Zod fight watching a Wayne tower get heat-visioned or whatever. if that's what you're talking about
    i could be wrong

4. Hayabusa Venomous

Oh yeah, that just occurred to me. That's probably what happened.

Though why Bruce would care about one tower is beyond me, unless he's got people in it. Then I can see some good motivation.

5. 61 No. B

I'm not sure the way the scene plays in the trailer will be how it is in the film. There's some strange editing going on the way it is here and think it might have just been cut strangely for the trailer. It looks like Bruce is out running around (not as Batman for some reason*), presumably helping people, before his building is destroyed. When his building is destroyed the camera lingers behind his back for a while which would be weird if he were screaming about his building, because screaming like that is very much an immediate reaction type of thing. Then he runs towards the collapsing building and into the smoke, then he's embracing some girl. It's hard to tell what specifically he is reacting to in this scene, and I think the only thing we're supposed to take away from it is that he was there and he was directly affected. I'm sure there were people in it so that sucks, but like you said, that reaction doesn't seem appropriate.

*Before I finished the trailer my mind was racing and I was speculating if his parents were killed during this fight and if that's what causes him to be Batman and that's why we have a Batman that's already older and that's why he's so immediately opposed to Superman here. Then we see that his parents are killed while he's a kid and that he already has all this history as Batman and that my theory was wrong. I kind of wish that was what's happening but whatever I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  6. Hayabusa Venomous

Along with what you brought up, I don't think Bruce's parents dying there would really work out when you notice the Robin suit.

I'm expecting that the solo Batman films will start off as prequels to this film. I just hope they don't spend more than 10 minutes on the origins...

7. 61 No. B

Yeah, that's part of what I meant by history as Batman

Maybe so. but that might be strange with Affleck as a younger Batman. I am curious to see what they do with those movies and after showing me a Robin suit you can't not have a Robin in these movies. That would be mean. It's very hard to say what direction they're going because the things they're pulling from for this movie and that character are odd choices for a new film series. Not bad choice (maybe a little tired), just odd.
    I'm going to guess that we'll get a Carrie Kelly relatively soon in this series.

edit: thinking about it, Jason Todd Robin suit (assuming it's his) is probably less easter egg type thing for the fans and more seeding for a future prequel. That's a strangely deliberate thing to show in this movie and expect "general audiences" who would know nothing about the implications of that shot to get it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  8. Arch Mana Knight

You couldn't because of the time stamp after "/watch?" I had that same problem when posting somewhere else.

As always, I'm still not a fan with making Superman fight Batman. We've seen it so many times before it's gotten stale. Sure it's the first time happening at this kind of live-action scale but still...we all know Bats is going to use Kryptonite to pull out a short victory before they team up to fight someone else. I'd rather see Superman and Batman have a bromance like they're supposed to.

But...I will say that it's pretty cool to see Superman taken to court. BATMAN SUES SUPERMAN. THE MOVIE.

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

It adds credence to the idea that the title is supposed to be taken legally: "Batman v Superman" as in Batman is bringing grievances against Superman.

About Batman's age (does he look Bruce Campbell to anyone else?): Around the two minute mark (when we see the Robin costume), he mentions "20 years in Gotham." So I'm guessing that at he's been Batman for twenty years or returned to Gotham to become Batman 20 years ago. Since in Zero Year and even Batman Begins, there's a small window of time between when he returns and starts vigilante-ing and actually becomes Batman and we have no idea how long he's been "semi-retired" or whatever Snyder called it, it's hard to tell exactly. Regardless, there's a lot of experience there.

Re: Robin/Carrie Kelley. Jena Malone was seen near set months ago and was rumored to be playing a Carrie Kelley version of Robin (which makes sense considering the TDKR tone with Batman going back into the action) and she even dyed her hair red. However, that was just a rumor and I'm pretty sure Jena and Snyder are good friends so it wouldn't be too far-fetched for her to simply be visiting. At the same time, Snyder apparently called Ezra Miller and straight up offered him the role of the Flash without auditions or anything so maybe he did give her the role. I don't know. I want Nightwing established, Tim as Robin, and Jason returning in a future movie played by Jensen Ackles as Red Hood. But I do love Carrie Kelley named my first car after her.

Jesse as Lex is still weird and definitely going a different route than I expected him. I'm still eager to see him. On top of that, seeing Zod's body also brings up the rumor about Lex experimenting on Zod's corpse and activating the "Doomsday Gene" which gives Supes and Bats the new enemy.

On a semi-related note, the Green Lantern film will actually be a Green Lantern Corps film. There was plenty of talk about seeing two Earth Lanterns (Hal and John because my Kyle still can't get any love and DC won't take my idea for reboot) so...that's probably what would happen.

10. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

This movie keeps looking better and better. This point has been harped on for a while, but I love that all the damage Superman and Zod's fight caused is being addressed; it kills me that so many superhero movies do, and even more so when Man of Steel showed NO indication that the fight ever happened after the fact. So yay! Also digging the Batman/Alfred dynamic from the trailer.

I'll admit, though, that I cringed at Lex Luthor's hair (yeah I know it'll come off but still) and at his "The red capes are coming!" mini-mantra. Though his bit about demons was intriguing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. 61 No. B

It's probably a wig. That's what they did in 78 and Returns and it will probably serve as both a callback and thematic parallel with costumes and concealing who you actually are from the public. Maybe not, but I don't see them having a Luthor with hair and not having it pull from 78, but Smallville of all things. "The Red Capes are coming" sounds weird, but I really like it as a fun analogy to his mentality, i.e. Superman is an oppressive force that prevents freedom and independence rather than securing it.

12. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I am happy to see that the things people complain in the "man of steel"(he is a menace, didn't bother to help anyone, and the one guy he sent to a store just to explode it afterwards), are the things that the judge is complaining about as well. I am happy that people actually saw that V (and not a Vs) and linked to a trial, and that is indeed the case.
    I am happy that superman will be more colorful than Batman.
    Also, Clark has the best parents doesn't he? "You should had let those kids die" "Be whatever they need, or nothing, you owe them sh*t" love it.
    Didn't like Lex Luthor (besides his quote about the red capes). And didn't like the Day-bat-in-the-desert thing :(.

13. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Full trailer drops Wednesday night.

14. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Full trailer

15. Arch Mana Knight

I still feel like we don't need Wonder Woman in this movie. Let there be SuperBat bromance before introducing any other superheroes. At least before the credits. The good thing is, it appears that Superman "beats" Batman pretty easily. Which is how it should be when there's no kryptonite around.

16. Hayabusa Venomous

This trailer was terrible.

Not only was the pacing awkward, but we got the entire synopsis of the film spoiled. Bam, no more surprises.

But I admit, Wonder Woman's appearance and the subsequent dialogue made me laugh my ass off.

17. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I love that they included that line: "If I wanted it, you'd be dead already!"
    I don't see how the entire synopsis is spoiled. I'm seeing the same reaction over on CBR. We've known Wonder Woman was in it due to the casting announcement and previous trailer*, we've known about Batman and Superman being against each other before teaming up at the end because of the official synopsis, we've known Lex was going to be an antagonist, Batman being angry because of Man of Steel's destruction, etc.

Though it's all been conjecture up to this point, chances always were that Batman and Superman were going to duke it out before teaming up at the end to stop the real threat, most likely Lex. Biggest question was how Lex would have been the aggressor: if he was using a suit, for example, or had someone like Doomsday (the most dominant rumor). I can agree about them showing Doomsday this early, though (I say early, but the film was due this year originally lol). It makes me wonder if they were aware that the secret was pretty much already out and just wanted to confirm it. If that's it, they're kind of spoiling the casual moviegoer to assure the news-following-fan. I don't mind personally, I like to see as much as possible and I have complete confidence that they'll keep some surprises for the film. That said, were those Parademons? Wtf, that could have been left for the film. A lot of people are wondering if that's an actual scene, some kind of dream, or a vision (most likely Wonder Woman's). That would have been a surprise I would've liked to see in film.
    Same thing for Doomsday, I wouldn't have minded seeing the Zod's body, the Frankenstein scene, and hearing the roar with a confirmation, but actually seeing Doomsday could have waited, I guess. Hopefully, the story about him evolving throughout the film is true and he'll grow some spikes.

*I'm torn on how they're releasing info on Wonder Woman. I know some people would have preferred to her to be kept secret in the film, but there's no way the inclusion of Wonder Woman would have been secret considering it's Wonder Woman and her status as a female hero on screen. It's like when Avengers: Age of Ultron had a cameo from Captain Marvel before it being replaced with Scarlet Witch's costume: they revealed that before the movie was out. She did have a badass scene here, too and holy crap, a trinity screengrab. But...we still haven't heard her speak in two (three?) trailers. It feels...weird. On a similar note, I like Affleck's Batman voice more than Bale's, still not what I want out of a Batman voice.

Eisenberg's Lex is growing on me. Originally, I thought he could pull off the gravitas Lex has, but with his personal attitude, but this manic, off-kilter, kinda campy/kinda not, mad scientist thing is just off and it works for me.

18. Hayabusa Venomous

Here's what this trailer, just this one, reveals:
    • We know Superman could have killed Batman throughout the entire movie, but he won't
    • We know Doomsday is going to be the actual antagonist of the movie
    • We know Batman and Superman are going to give up their fight because of Doomsday
    • We know Wonder Woman is going to show up to help Batman and Superman fight Doomsday, and how she's going to appear in the fight
    • We know Zod's body is being used by Lex Luthor
    • We know Robin won't be seen in the film
    • We know Alfred doesn't want Bruce to fight Clark
    • We know Lex is going to kidnap Lois in one way or another
    • We know Bruce is pissed at Superman for the events of Man of Steel
    • We know Parademons are in the film
    They've revealed the meat and potatoes of the film's plot. These are things that are meant to be keep for the actual film, not a trailer. Sure you can show a few snippets of the Supes and Bats fight, sure you can show some action for Wonder Woman, but don't give away every twist, and don't straight up show us that the TITLE FIGHT OF THE MOVIE is not going to be the finale.

There are other gripes I have, but they're not exclusive to the trailer. That very ham-fisted dialogue from Lex when Clark and Bruce meet. That was...bad. "lol it's witty because this is the movie's plot"