1 x 1 Role Plays.

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Jayn

Not to be confused with invitation only role plays.

There is a rule in the RP Arena against 1 x 1 role plays, which, simply put are role plays only involving two people. In my experience with them, someone usually posts a thread saying they're searching for a role play partner, and they list what they're interested in role playing, etcetc. Members respond if they're interested, then they either make a thread (or RP on MSN/VM/PM) and role play there. I'm not sure who wrote this rule, or why it was implemented originally, but here it is;

'Kay so obviously I didn't write this rule, but it got me thinkin'. Very recently, one of our fellow RPers asked me where they would post a thread asking for an RP partner for a 1 x 1 role play and I had to remind them that 1 x 1 (or two person) RPs aren't allowed.

I suppose I wanted to know your thoughts?

I understand invitation-only role plays not being allowed. I think they're exclusive and unnecessary. But I'm wondering if it would be a decent idea to eliminate this rule, or not, or what you guys think about the idea/concept.

2. Arch Mana Knight

As long as it's not done in the actual RP section, 1 on 1 RPs are fine. Otherwise there shouldn't be any of them around. If said RP started out as something regular then ended up with only two people still in it, then that's fine as well as long as the RP isn't off limits to other people(within reason).

3. Maka Albarn It's called love

I say it's a good idea. Like Machina said, it wouldn't be a good idea if the 1x1 takes place in the actual RPing section because everyone else would be sitting on the sidelines watching it, some people may try to post without permission, and yeah conflicts would arise.

But if it's done over PMs or Emails, I said it would be successful. My opinion of these 1x1's are that they're fantastic for those who have such a hectic schedule but they really, really want to RP. 1x1's tend to be fast or slow, depending how fast/slow you reply to your partner and I found these RP's to be better than most group RP's from time to time.

Those are my thoughts on it.

4. Jayn

Anyone else have an opinion?

5. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Seems like fun, but I'd recommend making a separate RP section for that.

The idea of making 1x1 Role-Playing "legal," dies out, somewhat, if no one is around to read it.
    I like the idea, and if others wish to read it, there should be a possibility for them to do so, rather than posting a finished product, which would basically be a story belonging in the Writer's Nook.

6. Krowley Moderator

If there is a section based around any space limited role plays, I don't see any Problem with that. Or RPs with any minimum for that matter. Highly populated RPs can be difficult to maintain if there is structure behind it. 1x1 and other limited roleplays could ensure both simpity and depth in whatever adventure is being portrayed.
    The title for the role play could be set up like so;

Two Member Roleplay (PlayerA and MemberB)

to imply that it's a roleplay for the 2 members in brackets.
    Doesn't really seem like an opinion, since I'm repeating what othershave said. :/

7. Jayn

Thank you all for voicing your opinion.

As things are going now, I'm probably going to eliminate the rule for recruiting since there are no oppositions, but a separate section for limited/1x1 RPs remains under debate.

Krowley, I do like what you're saying about possibly having a section that includes role plays with slots/specific roles/and 1x1s. But that's only because I make a lot of slot-based ones, which makes me biased and until there's more feedback, I can't say much. x:

Also, I hope those of you browsing but not speaking realize that no opinion = no opposition. It's usually never a good idea to make a decision with limited feedback, so share if you have something to say.

8. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

i've recently been trolling other role-play sites, so that i can do more and have noticed that a bunch of them have 1x1 forums and they seem to work nicely. it's all set up the same way as any other rp, but they only ask for one other person to join their thread. i've debated joining one, but it personally didn't interest me that much. i think it would be a nice addition to the RP forum.

it wouldn't be that different from any of the other rp's that everyone drops out of so it's just left with the creator and one other person. i'm in a couple threads that it's just me and the creator because everyone else dropped out. it's interesting since i have so much more influence in what happens. i mean it's still open for other people to join or the old members of the rp to come back, but no one does.

^---idk if that was relevant at all, but i would be an interesting idea like i said.

9. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

I personally from a GM for me and friends when we play, I like small groups, or having people play certain roles. It is easier to control, or you have the story go a certain way. Like right now, me and 8 others are playing DnD 3.5, and half of the party is rouges. How does a Gm go about making things happen when half the party is trying to pickpocket everybody and stay hidden.....

And I like doing some 1 on 1's, they can be fun, and I think more detailed and faster pace because you aren't having to wait on everybody to respond, or having to slow down because other people have been busy and can't post, or having to edit post because of what other people that you were talking to posted at the last second posted before you.

10. Jayn

@hyuge: Actually, RPs between 1x1 that happen as a result of everyone else leaving aren't allowed on KHV, either. Maybe it would help me to know why that rule was implemented. It's been there forever. I know exactly what you're talking about. Many RPing sites have 1x1 sections that work out perfectly fine. I've been apart of a few 1x1 RPs, and I've always enjoyed it. It's a lot more personal, in a good way. Some seem to disagree, though...

@Soap; I'm a fan of slot-based RPs too. Too many people ... Just feels unnecessary to me, depending on the plot. Some RPs call for a lot of people, while others only require a small, active group.

[​IMG]

11. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I think I've seen this 1x1 RPing on KHV before. I think it the only active thread in RP section for a few days or so. Since I was new and just plain..awful, I wondered why only two people were posting in it, figuring nobody else had signed up, I went to go check, it was only 1x1 RPing which made me slightly down. It seemed unfair at the time and it may seem unfair now first come, first serve etc, etc. Kelly is rambling and is adding nothing to the discussion what so ever.

I like this idea, though. I'm personally a fan of short RPs. I dislike ones that drag on and on, completely losing touch of the original story//plot. 1x1 RPs also make it more..personal. You know you can trust your RP partner, without them dramatically god-modding or changing the plot all together. Unless, that's what you wanted of course. I dislike it when a truck load of people just join..Too many people, too much to keep up with, etc. Smaller is better, in my opinion.

/flees.

12. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I see nothing wrong with slot-based RPs, as long as the slots aren't too restrictive, but that's because most RPs that aren't completely original, I consider semi-slot based. If I were to make a FF7 RP, the slots would be FF7 characters, and so on. Of course, that isn't exactly the "slot based" everyone here is talking about, but yeah.

I have no problem with 1x1 RPs, but I don't see why we need a section for it. We have PMs, VMs, and even off-site ways for members to have 1x1 conversations, so can't that be used for RPs as well? Maybe it's just the fact that it's only a 2 person RP and 2 is just...a very small number to have in an RP, imo. It's way too exclusive (though I don't know where I would draw the line). That said, I don't think it should be banned (FREEDOM TO RP FOR YOU AND ME). It's not my preference and I'd probably never be part of one, but I'm not against those who enjoy it to be able to do it. As long as no problems arise ("MRS. JAYN, SO-AND-SO WON'T LET ME JOIN THEIR RP SO I DEREPPED HIM"), I think it should be allowed.

13. Jayn

Well, we're not an RP site so like ... I don't think we need to go overboard with the individual sections. However, I do think there are enough slot-based RPs for a section dedicated to those? Which could potentially include 1 x 1. Because I agree having a section just for 1 x 1 seems silly.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and say that 1 x 1 RPs are allowed for now. This is a trial period and temporary. I'll post here again after the trial period is up (in a month). Chances are no 1 x 1 RPs are made during this time, LOL.

But another section being added just for 1 x 1 is improbable. Slot based + 1 x 1 is more likely, if anything.

You guys can keep giving your opinions?

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I had a Fullmetal Alchemist RP that started out with quite a few people, but then they gradually left, so it ended up with me and only one other role player. We got along just fine, easily eliminating the other people's characters by saying they stayed at Central or something. I actually found it fun, so I think that if the others drop out, then 1 x 1 RPs should be allowed, but only as long as others have an option to join.

15. Jayn

Update on this;

I changed the rules so if an RP's activity dwindles, 1 x 1 can happen. That used to be unallowed.

Technically 1 x 1 are still allowed. While the test was going on, no one made an 1 x 1, obviously. So no problems lol.

Still considering a slot-based section but...I don't think the volume is THAT high. Considered a prefix, but then that would override any existing prefixes aaaaaah. Will continue to update though.

You guys can keep voicing your opinions if you've yet to do so.

16. Doukuro Chaser

I feel like 1x1 rps can just be through Skype or PMs but there's really no other reason to oppose them. If people are happy with them and it's a thing actually done may as well.

It feels like it may be a bit contradicting when I say slot-filled rps are just fine though. I like those because sometimes there are rps that just calls for a specific number of people and/or having too many can overwhelm the rp or creator. Sucks when I want to join one of those but can't of course, but it's more of a momentarily 'aw man this stinks' feeling than anything else. But this logic can also be applied to 1x1 rps I suppose...

I guess I'm saying there's not a lot of things I can think of to disallow them but there's reasons to allow them. But yeah, if a new section is made then the two should be lumped together otherwise the two separate sections may be as active as this one.

17. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I agree with this. If we make a new section, the 1x1 should be classified as 'slot based' since that is technically what it is. There is only one slot. I have nothing against either category personally and I am glad that rule has been changed to allow rp's that originally weren't 1x1 to continue after others have dropped it. I know I was in a couple that had that problem. If people want to post it in the RPA so that others have the ability to read it, should they do so, I see no harm in that. And as for a slot based specific section, I think it would be nice so that people know what they are walking into. I've opened lots of rp's and got excited about it only to see that it was slot based and almost always full. If I know it's slot based right from the get-go I can scroll down first to check the sign-ups rather than reading through everything before the character list only to be let down.