Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Porting Thread (HD assets in PCSX2: A Discussion)

Discussion in 'Code Vault' started by Jadentheman, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Jadentheman Hollow Bastion Committee

Alright it's been talked about a little in the translation thread, but know I think we can flesh out this discussion in it's own thread.

The goal is to set if we can get everything from 1.5 into PCSX2 (or at least what's possible). I feel like 1.5 is somewhat of a waste when it only goes to 720p 30fps. Here are sections of things that could possibly be discussed.

These sections will be fleshed out more with it's own information

For Final Mix
    1. Model Replacement ( If skeleton and animations are the same)
    2. HD Texture Replacement
    3. Getting the lighting to match the new lighting in 1.5 (Maybe through shaders. SweetFX?)
    4. Music Replacement (LPCM 5.1 channels ?)
          1. Maybe if PCSX2 had some way to replace the track with the PCM tracks from the PS3 game. (Still need an official 1.5 soundtrack. Get on it Yoko!)
    5. Getting the HUD to fit 16x9 and HD replacement
      1. This is more in PCSX2's domain. We have the 16x9 ratio screen and we can even make it to crop the cutscenes like 1.5 does it. The HUD is the hard part.
    6. HD Subtitles/text replacement
    7. HD Menu and Screens (16x9 Title screen, various menus)
    8. Gameplay changes (Triangle button, getting summon to 4th command)
      1. Don't know if possible, even Nomura and team had trouble with some original assets
    9. Getting FM to English (Work in Progress)
    10. FMV replacement
      1. Replace the SD FMV with the redone HD one.
    For Re:COM
    1. Music replacement (PCM tracks)
    2. HD texture replacement
    3. Replace SD pre-rendered scenes with the HD ones
    Some Extra stuff we could exploit
    Stereoscopic 3D (PCSX2 has a 3D option)
    Real 60fps?
    Getting Xemnas voice for Xemnas battle in FM
    RE:COM: Replace soundbytes of older Sora with KH1 Sora

Benefits of this
    1080p or higher resolution for the future (4K!!)
    Better Image Quality (AA, shaders)

2. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

KH has mostly sequenced tracks. Is it still even possible? Hcs forums is A really good place when dealing with game audio.

3. VIRGIN KLM Merlin's Housekeeper

1. PCSX2 DOES NOT allow texture replacement and I don't see it implemented on the near future since nobody from the team wills to do a massive rewrite of the GPU plugin it requires.
    2. PS2 as a hardware has 32MB of memory, KH1.5 uses ALOT more than just 32MB for loading textures, the game engine would crash in seconds after getting out of memory.
    3. PS2 DOES NOT support 5.1 LPCM, only DD 5.1 and only in video streams, not live/gameplay audio. It's a hardware limmitation.
    4. The event data for the non-prerendered cutscenes on KHRCOM are present on the disc, you need to have some MIPS code knowledge to patch them in.

The most far you can get is model replacement, but good luck with that.

4. Jadentheman Hollow Bastion Committee

Thanks for providing the answers Virgin KLM. Guess we have to wait on a PS3 emulator to our good IQ for 1.5 :p

If there was only some way for the audio replacement that can be able to go like JPCSP and if someone was able to render your idea of real 5.1 channels in game. We could have something

5. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

I'll just add my 2 cents...
    1. Possible, but only if they used the same format.
    2. I doubt we can change the resolution, but the HD textures could be resampled into the proper size. It won't be the same as larger textures, but they might look better.
    3. PCSX2 has built-in shader support.
    4. Nope. Most music is sequenced, like a MIDI file. And the videos are using a custom format, afaik.
    5. This might be possible. There's already a widescreen patch, the UI textures would just have to be changed. (Again, probably can't make them bigger, but could make them fit 16x9 right)
    6. Nope. The font has a fixed number of pixels per character, can't change it. In addition, it's a small image; it's about as HD as it's going to get.
    7. See 5.
    8. Nope. That would require major recoding in assembly.
    9. WiP
    10. Square is using some custom format, so probably not going to happen. And again, probably can't make the video size bigger then original.
    Real 60fps: I know of a patch to make KH2 (probably KH1 if I ported it) run as 480p, aka 60fps. Except it crashes on videos, as they're 480i. I tried making my own 480p patch, and got it to run in 480p field mode, which means it was 60fps but still updated only 1/2 the screen at a time....

Xemnas voices: Might be possible. If we can, it will probably be in "voice/event/pc/pc_371.vset", but might be in "eventse/pc_037.dat".

6. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

What patch makes it run in 60fps? I know virgin-Klm found an unofficial way of making kh2fm run 60fps with the half speed code and doubling the FPS in pcsx2. What's the patched way?

7. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

I believe this one worked, but crashed the cut-scenes: http://ps2wide.net/480p.html Iirc, it's patching the GS calls.
    The one I tried to make worked similarly, by patching the SetGsCrt call to use "Progressive, 480P, Frame" (even though it still used field ><) and by removing code that changed SMODE2 directly.

8. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

How would I do this? I'm very curious. I'm not too advance with hex.

Nevermind I found a guide by nemisis2000

Also did your way look well?

9. VIRGIN KLM Merlin's Housekeeper

This is NOT 60fps, this is progressive scan (30fps on 60Hz of refresh rate). You don't remove the framecap, you just use an internal (PS2) line doubler to output the video for OOOLD progressive setups that have trouble with interlaced video.
    I did a "real" 60fps hack which actually works (Only on PCSX2 though):
    http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Kingdom-Hearts-2-Final-Mix-60fps-hack

Asside of the double speed in the music (sync issue) the rest is OK (animations, character voices, camera movement).

10. Jadentheman Hollow Bastion Committee

11. sora6645 Kingdom Keeper

i need help with your code . i am using cheat Engine. can u post a video showing how to use this on pcssx2 and using cheat enginge

12. Soraoscuro Kingdom Keeper

So, I think you will like this, guys.
    While trying to hack another code I accidentally found a code that makes KH1FM run at 60 frames per second, so I'm here to share it with you.
    I must warn you though, using this code requires your machine the double of power to run the game.

60 FPS Hack
    002BBE0C 00000000

13. Jadentheman Hollow Bastion Committee

I wonder what Virgin KLM thinks of this? And Safe to say if it ran on PS2 the PS2 will break right?[DOUBLEPOST=1372727130][/DOUBLEPOST]Virgin KLM must check it out. Do it look and feel like it's running at 60fps?

14. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Lol I tried that and got so confused. It just made it 480p. Haha.

I've been trying to make a better 60fps video than that. Dailymotion really takes down the quality.

15. crazycatz00 Twilight Town Denizen

Interesting, will have to take a look at it. ;)
    What I'm wondering though, how can you guys tell if it's true 60 fps or not? In the emulator it shows up as 60fps anyway (30fps real, since it's interlaced).

Edit: Also, I found a game speed code. It tends to soft-crash in some events though (by soft-crash, it stops and never continues, but music is there and animations continue).

16. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

It's 60fps I just tried. I will upload a video on dailmotion tomorrow.

17. Enzineda Traverse Town Homebody

You can immediately notice a giant difference in how smooth the animations are. It also makes FMVs and run twice as fast.

18. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Also is has anyone found the widesceen code or hex? I dont think anyone at PCSX2 forums have found it yet. I was wanting to record the 60FPS in widesceen.

19. Enzineda Traverse Town Homebody

patch=1,EE,00110644,word,3c0143d6
    patch=1,EE,00110b30,word,3c013f19
    patch=1,EE,00110898,word,3421999a
    patch=1,EE,002a6948,word,70007000
    patch=1,EE,0010631c,word,3c071900
    patch=1,EE,00104334,word,00000000
    patch=1,EE,00104454,word,00000000

20. Jadentheman Hollow Bastion Committee