YouTube boycott (lasting December 19th - 21st)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Inasuma, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jafar custom title

'm glad I saw this before the 19th. I guess I won't be using Youtube for seveal days now.

2. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I'll probly do it...just cuz i dont really go on it except to upload my videos every once in a while.

3. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i bet this boycott isn't going to work.

4. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I'm sorry but I'm not participating...I don't watch anime on youtube, I don't really care that much if they censor things, and I doubt its going to work so well. Although I don't agree with what youtube may be doing, its, well, its youtube find a site thats as popular with as many viewers and movie producers and maybe I'll switch.

5. Scott Pilgrim Banned

I bet you're right.

The thing is, it's only going to be 23 days. What will it prove? All that will happen is YouTube will loose 1/10 of their viewers at most then everyone will just come back. This is a lost cause.

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Yeah.. this probably will fail. I did realize how much I go on youtube though. I should have gone on more than 10 times today, but I didn't 'cause I'm busy.

I think I've become dependent on youtube. D:

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

me too, i use youtube for ALOT of stuff. i use it to watch video reviews of games, and to decide on which products to buy. i'm addicted to youtube as well

8. Vexen_Is_God Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm weening myself off of youtube. They've really passed some crappy ideas now that just ticks my nerves. I like freedom.

Instead I'm setting up a video streaming site myself and uploading there once I get it rolling. Meh.

9. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Your not the only one, XD

I watch youtube all the time for funny stuff.

And scrubs.

10. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    I'm no fan of profanity but I don't think that your video should be demoted because of it. It's your choice to use the words you use.

11. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I"m finding it increasingly hard to stay away from YouTube. xD
    I'm trying to think of things to do, but everything I think of has to do with YT. And it's only the first day. D<

12. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

I'm not doing it >. >
    This guy needs to grow up...

13. Nobody's Shadow Kingdom Keeper

In a room where it's nine in the afternoon.
    It's painful, but I'm going along with it.
    I understand the distasted for the new policies, especially for the big time YouTubers on the site. I could see it ruining several channels there, so I suppose a movement like this could work wonders for the long run. That is, if it works at all.

14. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I think he has an excellent point. YouTube is contradicting themselves by what they are trying to do.

15. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i don't know, isn't it perfectly within their rights to censor material they dont' want on their own website?

16. Repliku Chaser

Well, Youtube really has fallen due to corporations getting involved. Profanity truly is in the eye of the beholder and some cussing really doesn't hurt anyone. They already have warnings for some videos for being too graphic with violence or sexual situations. Some of those videos aren't even that graphic or sexual but someone marked them as such. Seriously, if that can't be controlled to be right, how the hell are they going to give videos a fair chance when users who are uber conservative have the power to mark whatever? It makes no real sense in the end. Profanity is a part of life. It's ridiculous to try to sit there and cover up a video because of some crass words some people don't want to see and the excuse will be 'we need to protect the children' again. These same kids who hear profanity from their parents or kids at school .. mhmm. Not everyone speaks in the same intonation or will choose the same words to express themselves. I do agree that it is a corporate decision to feed up to a certain stereotype of people and make us 'uniformed'.

I can see why they might do this. It is for money and also to allow a specific breed of people to have their videos more front as a better presentation for the site, but still, it is a lame thing to do. Youtube wasn't like this but it also has been slammed by law for allowing videos to be up that were considered illegal. They keep trying to dodge things, so I guess one way to dodge things is to make the site look more kid/conservative friendly. *sigh* Ah well, there are other sites to go to if they want to keep up their crap which are not yet bought out by some mega corp.

17. Nova We left a scar size extra-large.

I guess. Maybe I was being a little insensitive because I avoid- Does this mean they're removing Foamy? O____O
    (I'd go on te website, but my mom doesn't want me going on it cuz of my baby sis)