Your Religion Choice

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Rainbow~Monkey, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

you dont understand. im not suicidal,...maybe.heee hee.
    im not doing this just because God told me
    im doing this cuz its what i want to do.
    im not gonna kill people,
    im just gonna risk myself.
    theres a difference between, terrorists
    and what im gonna do.

2. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

You aren't trying to kill yourself, are you? Because that would make me really sad...

3. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Okay, I don't really like talking about religion with people because it often leads to a religious debate, but I wanted to put in my two cents here. Remember, this is just my opinion so please don't go and rip my head off, alright?

Personally, I don't really like the idea of organized religion. Why can't we just have our own personal relationship with God? I feel like if we are being told what to say, and when to say it (like when reciting things in mass), then we aren't really thinking about what we're saying. It seems like our relationship with Him would be much stronger if we prayed to him in our own way, not necessarily in the "correct" way.

Also, I feel like I could never choose one religion, because in every single one there are things I agree with and things that I disagree with. Is it so wrong to take elements of each one and mold them into your very own individual way of living? It's the same God, after all; why would He care what name you call Him, or how you pray to him, or even if you pray at all, as long as your relationship with him is real to you, specifically. Even if no one else knows about it, if it's real to you, then nothing else should matter.

Remember, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to offend anyone or any religion. And sorry if that didn't really make sense, it's kind of late... and it can be somewhat hard to explain. But hopefully you get my gist.

4. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Actually, that makes perfect sense, that was what I have been trying to say but in a much broader spectrum, that was actually very well written for it being late...... ;)

5. Daydreamer

Yes, I don't understand. I don't understand how people could do or go against something without understanding why.

Why do you want to preach? Why are you so intent on forcing your beliefs on others? "Your religion is wrong, ours is the absolute, and if you don't listen to me, God will send you to hell." sounds very terrorist like to me. Control by fear. You certainly wouldn't want that done to you, would you?

You asked us why we chose our religions, yet you impose your own beliefs on us. If you want to understand other religions, try to view our side of things than just saying we are evil and that's the end of it.

EDIT:
    :D
    “It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others, will help you become whole.†-Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender
    I think it's very important to from your own opinions about things. Instead of becoming a clone of religion. Sometimes I think that the only way society will find peace is if everyone was brainwashed into thinking the same way, but where's the fun in losing your individuality?

6. Bareri-San 私はポテトだ。

Even though I am supposed to be a catholic christian, I really don't believe in God. Sometimes I might but not that often. I mean, no offence to all the other christians out there but I would much rather waste my time somewhere else than being stuck in a church pray or reading a bible or something.
    And after an incident that happened with me with my Religion teacher when I was in third grade (she said something that insulted my appearence and my heritage.) I don't think I'll go back to church or anything anytime soon.

So yeah, I prefer to live my life to the fullest and not having to worry if I am going to heaven or hell.

7. childofturin Why?

You are willing to sacrifice yourself for your religion. You believe that, by doing so, you are proving to God how faithful you are, and you will then be rewarded in Heaven. I do understand that, having a strong religious background myself. However, the fundamentalist Muslims beleive pretty much the same thing - if they sacrifice themselves for God (Allah), they will go automatically to Heaven and receive 72 virgins for all of eternity.

I'm not asking you to give up your beliefs. All I'm asking is, if you want to convert people like me, have REAL facts to back up your faith, not blind words like "God said so". If you want me to believe there was a Flood, for example, show me some Flood-related evidence (And not that "seashells on a mountaintop" idea - that has been explained by REAL science - the upthrusting of mountains over millions of years in what was once a watery area due to plate tectonics). IF you want me to believe that God created us all at roughly the same time, show me, say, human and dinosaur bones in the same strata of rock. And, like it or not, that human footprint inside of a dino one has been disproved as a fake: http://www.badarchaeology.net/data/ooparts/paluxy.php

8. fadedphantom King's Apprentice

Exactly. Iroh knows what he's talking about; we should all listen to him. I always knew I liked him...

9. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

srry but i think that dying for a "holy cause" is ver childish and stupid... i do belive in a higher power sometimes but no all he ime, and i wouldn't die for that cause.....

10. childofturin Why?

I never said I believe and condone it... I just said I understand it, having heard all the stories early in life. I personally can find almost nothing I would be willing to die for, except for maybe the advancement of knowledge and science.

11. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I love you.

12. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

No no, I appologize childofturin, that wasn't ment towards you, that was for Rainbow~Monkey, but I like your "death for the advancement of knowledge and science."

13. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

i know i am not telling you guys clearly and i already feel stupid so, shush, please. im not doin this cuz i want to go to heaven and im not scared,
    im doing this for others, not for me,
    im sorry, extremely sorry and i know it seems im not sorry but i am,
    the only i is gonna get to heaven is through faith,
    not by risking my life,
    i said i would risk my life if i had to,
    to help others,
    clearly you guys still dont get me,
    this is not childish,
    im actually really mature for my age..

14. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

1. I do think that you are mature for your age.
    2. im sorry, but if you would risk your life for others o prove your faithfulness, that is your life and not ours, but when you say stuff like that, then other people are going to jump the gun and ask why.
    3. Its alright to be faithful, but no one needs to go as far as to die for your faith, as long as you know how faithful you are there is no need to go so drastically.

15. childofturin Why?

I personally don't want you to die for me. I'll do my own dying, thank you very much. You just live your own life. I'm happy how I am. Science provides me with all the answers I'll ever need. Hell, in the next few decades, I'm half-expecting to hear about the discovery of extra-solar life! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-450467/Found-20-light-years-away-New-Earth.html
    That has been a dream of mine for so long.... Anyways, I'm happy, no need to die for me.

16. Rainbow~Monkey Gummi Ship Junkie

im not trying to die for you. i can talk to you right here. okay, obviously you aren't ready for this yet and I'll remind you again later. I'm glad your enjoying life, you see, i dont dislike you, you are a very intelligent, curious person. I only want to help you and others. :)
    there are some people out there in the world suffering from all kinds of abuse and stuff and they need me to tell them about God, cuz i dont want hem to go through what i went through. Rainbow~Monkey OUT~~~ -

17. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

i hope that you live for a long time and don't lose your faith, but there are some people out there that don't have enough proof to belive in a god or whatever, but there are other people that do have enough proof and that is your thing, don't forget that it is your life and live it the way that you want to...

18. jafar custom title

Yeah. There are people who suffer abuse and turn to religion to ease their suffering. You see how I used the word religion? Yeah, because it's a general term. People will use their OWN religion for help. Their own gods. There is no need to convert people to, especially to your own. Do you know what people did in the name of Jesus and to get others to convert? I'll name you some things. The Holocaust, the Crusades, the Inquisition. All those things, and they were terrible things that involved torture beyond imagination and death. And I know what you'll say. You'll be all "Oh, but I'm not torturing or killing. I'm only trying to save you guys from Hell." No thank you. I am proud of being Jewish, even though I am an Athiest Jew, I stand by my traiditions and I will never convert because of such history.

19. childofturin Why?

My argument exactly. Thanks. If I could give rep to you, I would, but I haven't passed enough around yet, so consider this "ghost rep". You make a very good point.

20. jafar custom title

Well, yeah, but that's cause you de-repped me for being an intolerant ******* because I called her a Religifag.