"YOU USED SO MUCH THYME THAT XEHANORT WAS ABLE TO COME BACK TO LIFE!"

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Lauriam, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Thanks to Tale for the title idea. XD

This thread is just a casual place for people to post pictures and recipes of stuff they've cooked, just to share your kitchen creations with your friends here on KHV. You don't need to be a great cook to post here, you can just make a post about a sandwich you feel particularly proud of, if you're in the mood. XD

I'll start things off with my first attempt at beef lo mein. :)

0928161954.jpg 0928161957.jpg 0928162009a-2.jpg
    So for the beef, I seared it with almost a full container of beef broth (But it was straight from the freezer to the pan, so if you thaw the meat out first, you shouldn't need as much broth) and spiced it with garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, pepper, and dried chives. Then I just let it cook for awhile, stirring it occasionally.

I just bought pre-cut beef for stews, but the pieces ended up being really big, so I recommend either cutting those pieces in half, or just getting your own beef and cutting it to size yourself. I also overcooked it and it was too tough, lol, so watch the meat. XD

The vegetables are pretty simple: It's just a green pepper, half a yellow onion, three stalks of celery, half a zucchini, a small box of fresh mushrooms, a roma tomato, and again, dried chives (though fresh would be amazing if you don't already have dried chives and aren't trying to save money. XD) I just cut the veggies into slices or bite sized pieces, and fried them with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, and coriander.

I also recommend adding water chestnuts, which I forgot to buy and really missed while I was eating it.

Then, boil lo mein noodles in water, adding a touch of soy sauce before you strain them, for flavor.

Once the beef is cooked, mix it with the vegetables, and do a taste test. Add more spices if you don't think you added enough, and feel free to add your own spices if you think they'd taste good with it. And finally, toss the stir-fry with the strained lo mein noodles, and there you go, a decent batch of beef lo mein. XD

(You can make it with chicken if you prefer, just use chicken broth instead of beef, obvi.) XD

* * *​

So, now you guys feel free to post your own recipes, with or without pictures, whenever you feel like you made a pretty good meal and you want to share it. :)

EDIT: Soooo another note; I realize tomato and zucchini aren't exactly found in a normal lo mein, lol, but I didn't even know this was going to be lo mein until I found a box of lo mein noodles in the cupboard halfway through cooking the meal, so I had just picked veggies I thought would taste good together, lol. SO if you want to make it a bit more traditional, replace the tomato and zucchini with sugar peas and carrots, and if you also remember the water chestnuts, it should turn out really nice. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

First off, this isn't a bump. XD

I've made another recipe for you all! This is based on a recipe my mother invented, though I took a few creative liberties. XD

The first step is to slice some summer sausage. My mother just slices it, and I meant to slice it and cut the slices in half, but I absent mindedly cut them into fourths instead. XD
    1110162009.jpg
    Then you dice some onion and green pepper. My husband and I decided we'll add red bell pepper next time as well.

Once they're all cut, sautee them together in butter. While they're cooking, put some water on to boil for noodles.

When the meat and veggies are cooked, add chicken broth. Enough to make it look soupy.
    1110162017.jpg

Now spice it. We used garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and coriander, as well as a special grilling blend that brought it all together.
    1110162028.jpg

If you guys don't have this blend (which is pretty likely, lol) either just add some herbs and spices you think will go with it, or use a grilling blend that you like.

Once it's been cooking for awhile, slowly pour in some corn starch to thicken the sauce. (If you don't know how to make corn starch, it's very easy. Pour a few spoonfuls of the corn starch powder into a bowl, add some cold water, and stir it with a spoon until the powder dissolves and it has the consistency of milk.) Stir with a whisk until it thickens.
    1110162024.jpg

And finally, pour over the noodles you've cooked, and you have my mom's famous... Sausage Stuff. XD That's really what we all call it, we never gave it a name. XD
    1110162036.jpg

3. Glen Returned from the dead

Alright well I don't have any pictures of preparation or anything like that, but a couple of weeks ago (I didn't realise this thread existed okay?) I did make my first, home made meal for my parents. Might not seem like much to some, but for someone who didn't have much experience whatsoever with cooking before moving out...well, it was a pretty big milestone for me and I'm actually really proud of it.

So I cooked lamb ragout, which btw tastes freaking amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the taste of lamb. I'm not sure if anyone not in Australia has the recipe base it's suggesting, but this is the recipe I followed.

And this is the picture I took because screw it I wanted to show off.

[​IMG]

4. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Mmmm, looked really good, Glen! :D Thank you for posting! :D Everyone else, feel free to post recipes yourself too pleeeeaaaase!

Now then, while I'm here, this is my latest recipe, one of my all-time favorites and what I decided to make for my birthday! ^.^

It's a casserole called El Dorado.

First, crush a bunch of tortilla chips into a layer on the bottom of a baking pan. I used an 8 by 8 pan, but to make it thinner, use a 9 by 13.

1213161922.jpg

Then, cook up a pound of ground beef, seasoning it with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and a little cayenne. Once it's cooked, strain out the grease and mix in a 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes. (Walmart didn't have the can size I needed in crushed, so I used diced and it worked, but not the way it should.) XD

1213161936.jpg

Now, mix an 8 oz tub of sour cream, a 6 oz tub of cottage cheese, and a small can of chopped green chilles.

1213161937.jpg

Now that everything's prepped, spread the beef-tomato mixture on top of the chips in an even layer. Then layer the sour cream-cottage cheese-green chilles mixture on top of the beef. Finally, put a thick layer of cheddar cheese on top of the sour cream mix.

1213161940.jpg 1213161941.jpg

Then bake at 375 degrees for about twenty minutes or until the top layer of cheese is melted.

1213161957.jpg

Serve it with rice and beans. For rice, just get a packet of Knorr's Spanish Rice and follow the instructions. For the beans, just get a can of refried beans (my favorite is the Taco Bell brand) and then microwave it for four minutes, mixed with a little salsa to add flavor, heat, and consistency. I highly recommend Mrs. Renfrose Habenero salsa, but you can just use your favorite.

1213162055.jpg

And there you go! El Dorado casserole, rice, and beans. :)

5. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

This is great Marushi. I'm just going to leave this link to my very barren food blog here and I'll actually post stuff in here when I start to get back in the swing of things. We've been too broke for me to go out and buy supplies to make yummy Asian cuisines.

6. Midnight Star Master of Physics

So I was flicking through my phone and I have lots of pictures of pasta, so figured I might talk about it on here. Please bear in mind I am terrible at cooking.

So pasta in a tomato based sauce with sausage meatball things.

Steps
    1. Boil pasta
    2. Chop onion
    3. Fry onion in pan
    4. (when pasta is cooked) drain the pasta to remove all the water
    5. Put pasta back in pan and also add tinned tomatos and onions (when they are done)
    6. Season with salt, pepper, Lee & Perins sauce, ketchup, brown sauce, mixed herbs, garlic and a little bit of sugar
    5. While that is simmering, cut up two sausages into cubes/cylinders (defrost the sausages first)
    IMG-20161018-WA0000.jpeg
    6. Fry the sausages, you can use the same pan you did the onions in
    7. Serve onto a plate, mix the sausage meatballs into the pasta
    8. Enjoy!!
    IMG-20161018-WA0002.jpeg

Please note: When simmering the pasta after the tinned tomato has been added, make sure the heat is high enough to actually boil off some of the liquid or else it ends up very watery. However when frying the sausages don't put the heat up too high or else the sausages instantly burn. See image below.

Attached Files:

7. Hayabusa Venomous

I maded these

[​IMG]

8. Patman Bof

I took a few classes with Pierre Hermé some years ago. He taught us how to make a chocolate meringue cake, among other things. Of all the recipes I learned there it' s the only one I managed to pull off with my own non-professional equipment. I made one for Christmas once. Bought me more than a few compliments, there wasn' t a single crumble left.

It' s basically three chocolate meringue discs with a chocolate butter cream filling.
    I plan to make one again for my best friend this year.

Also, my mum often makes a killer gratin dauphinois with foie gras for Christmas. It' s like a regular gratin dauphinois, you just add foie gras slices amidst the potatoes. You have to fry them in a pan first, otherwise they' ll sweat way too much oil in the oven. Pretty easy to make, just a bit pricey. There' s never any left, even kids beg for more. I hope she' ll make one this year.

9. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

RIP, the article is in French or something and the google translate is a little... off. XD But I think if I really work at it, I might be able to figure it out and try the recipe sometime. :)

10. Patman Bof

I' ll try and translate it if you want. Just not right now, I' m going to sleep. I' ll edit this post later.

11. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

No prob, I just thought the Google translate was a bit funny. XD

Like, we're supposed to assemble the whites in snow, and use a pocket with a smooth sleeve of 8 to 10 mm, and mix two appliances. XD No prob with the recipe, just thank you Google for always being so wrong. XD

12. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

No pictures, but here's an excellent party dip that's perfect for the holidays and is a hit at every party it's served at, as well as being super easy to make.

Just take an 8 oz tub of Cool Whip, a 7 oz jar of marshmallow fluff, and 3-4 oz's of cream cheese (not whipped, add more if you really like cream cheese, lol) and whip them all together. Adding a dash of vanilla or almond flavoring helps bring out the flavors as well.

Serve with your favorite fruits, chocolate bars, or cookies, and you've got a sweet and tasty dip that anyone with a sweet tooth will adore.

Happy New Year, KHV!

13. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Alright guys, recently, I made pineapple chicken, and it was super easy and really tasty, not to mention cheap.

Put a cup of flour into a shallow bowl, and dredge some chicken in it. Recommended is 4 chicken thighs, but any cut of chicken in that basic amount is fine. Lay the chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker.

Open an 8oz can of pineapple chunks, and drain the juice into a bowl. Dump the pineapple chunks over the chicken and set it aside.

0119171619.jpg

In the bowl with pineapple juice, add half a cup of soy sauce, a third of a cup of brown sugar, two tablespoons of ketchup, and a couple cloves of minced garlic. Whisk until the ingredients are blended together, and pour the sauce on top of the chicken.

0119171634.jpg

Cook in a slow cooker on low for 4 hours, and serve with white rice and broccoli, and there you have it! Tasty, easy, cheap Pineapple Chicken. XD

0119172010.jpg 0119172013.jpg

14. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Alright guys, time for my mom's special four-bean chili!

This recipe takes a little more attention than the last one I posted, but it's still pretty easy, and pretty cheap, and it feeds a LOT of people.

Start out by cooking 5 pounds of ground beef, liberally seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, and chili powder.
    0126171840.jpg

While that's cooking, open up 16 oz cans of red beans, light red kidney beans, dark red kidney beans, and pinto beans, drain them all, and pour them into a slow cooker on high.
    0126171843.jpg 0126171849.jpg

OPTIONAL: Slice up about four hot dogs and add them to the beans.
    0126171855.jpg

When the beef is cooked, drain out the grease, and add the beef to the beans. Pour in some crushed tomatoes (one 28oz can for less saucy chili, two 28oz cans for really saucy chili.)

Mix it all up, and taste it, adding more spices or even some salsa or hot sauce to flavor it up to taste.
    0126171928.jpg

Serve by itself, with fixings, or whatever sides you think will go with it. I served it with chili fixings, garlic bread, and mac and cheese.
    0126171950.jpg

And there you have it! Pretty good chili, if I do say so myself. XD

15. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Alright guys, it's been awhile, but I have another recipe for you. Pizza pasta!

Put some water on to boil, for a box of Rotini noodles.

Cook a pound of Jimmy Dean's italian style sausage, spicing it with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
    0322171751.jpg

Microwave two cans of Hunts Traditional spaghetti sauce, with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
    0322171755.jpg

In a large bowl, mix the sauce, sausage, rotini noodles, and a bag of miniature pepperoni.
    0322171800.jpg
    (I like to add an 8oz can of sliced back olives, but my husband doesn't like olives, so there aren't any here.) XD

And there you have it, pizza pasta!
    0322171808.jpg

16. Glen Returned from the dead

This looks amazing and I'll be sure to give it a try soon, thank you XD

17. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

No problem! It's super cheap, super easy, and rather tasty. The recipe easily serves six, with some leftover. XD

18. Ghost King's Apprentice

20170421_201850.jpg

I thought I would share this recipe my mom had. It kinda takes a while to prepare, though.

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

omg that's great, Ghost. XD

20. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

"We can either pay the rent or buy groceries this month." That was what my husband told me in June, and we still need at least one more week before we can shop, as rent will leave us sitting on a solid twenty-five bucks for July, and we're running out of food - fast. XD So since I had today off and had just watched a bunch of Cutthroat Kitchen and Chopped and Cupcake Wars and whatnot, I decided to see what I could whip up to help out. Firstly, easy bread with no yeast:

0703172140.jpg

Mix three cups of flour, 3 teaspoons of baking powder, and a teaspoon of salt into a bowl. Add a cup and a half of water (or milk would be better, if you have enough, lol) and a half cup of vegetable oil or olive oil or melted butter (I had Canola oil so there ya go) XD

Mix it all together until you have the dough, put it in a bread pan, and bake it for 40 minutes at 400 Degrees, and there you go! Easy homemade bread for if you have no yeast. XD

Now on to the next thing! Rice gruel, for quick breakfasts in the morning. XD

0703172140a.jpg

I don't have any large pots, so I used three smaller saucepans. In each one, I cooked half a cup of rice in four cups of water for forty minutes until it reached this runny oatmeal type texture. (I have used this recipe before with three cups water one cup milk, and it's better, but this is easier if you're low on milk)

Then I mixed all three pots into a large bowl, and I added around two tablespoons of butter, four tablespoons of sugar, about a tablespoon of honey, and then sprinkled cinnamon on top. I mixed it all together and stuck it in the fridge, so I can just get up in the morning, microwave a helping of gruel, and eat. (I might try it cold just to see how it tastes, lol)

Now then, looking around my kitchen, I saw that I had four potatoes, a pound of ground beef, and an onion that I needed to use soon or risk having them go bad. So I present: Mashed Potato Pie!

0703172124.jpg

First things first, the crust:

I used three cups of flour, a tablespoon of salt, a cup of vegetable oil, and two liquid ounces of milk. Mix it all together and press it into a round cake pan (or pretty much any deep dish casserole pan). Then, peel and chop the four potatoes, fill the pot with water, and set it on to boil.

Cook the pound of ground beef in a pan with a liberal seasoning of garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Drain the grease and set aside. Mince about half an onion and saute it in butter, and add it to the beef.

I had a random packet of instant beef gravy mix, so I cooked that up and mixed it into the beef. I also had a bag of frozen corn, poured about half a cup into a bowl and microwaved it for a couple minutes, and added that to the beef as well. By this time, the potatoes were mostly cooked, but still firm. I drained the water and poured probably a little less than half of the potatoes into the beef mix, then stirred it all in until the potatoes were evenly coated with the gravy.

Pour the beef/potato mix over the pie crust, and bake at 400 for about twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, add more water to the rest of the potatoes and put it back on to boil until they're soft. Drain the water and put them in a medium sized bowl. Add a large spoonful of butter (or a small spoonful of butter and about half a cup of milk, if, again, you have enough milk lol) and mash it all up together until there are no more lumps.

Pull the pie out of the oven after its allotted time, and spoon the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture. Put the pie back in for ten minutes at 350 degrees, and then voila! A Mashed Potato Pie of sorts. XD

0703172127-1.jpg

I feel proud of myself. XD