YEEZUS

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chad Thundercucc, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

What did everyone think about Kanye's latest album?

I thought it was genius.

The production was amazing, very industrial and very revolutionary for mainstream hip hop, emphasis on mainstream. The type of sound he went for here obviously isn't anything new (see Death Grips, B L A C K I E, Tyler, the Creator to some extent etc.) but the aggression and the unprodictability is something to be admired. Moments like the choir singing in the middle of On Site, the ending of New Slaves, the tempo change in the bridge of Hold My Liquor, the Ratatat influenced guitar solo in Hold My Liquor, the dancehall vocal samples, the chorus of Bound 2, etc. are all unorthodox to mainstream rap music and its just so different and amazing.

His lyrics were, of course, lacking (mostly revolving around sex and fame) and his flow throughout is nothing special. But, they do serve their purpose.

All in all, a great album. This might be my favorite album of the year so far. I hope this wins a grammy.

8/10

2. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I really found this to be the weakest of all West's albums purely because the only song I can only really remember, after listening to it for ages, has been I am a God, Black Skinhead and Bound 2.

All the tracks feel really samey, unlike My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, 808, which all had tons of variety and styles, samples and lyrics that had a lot of flow to them and an almost evolutionary quality about them. Yeezus felt, to me, disjointed, and a bit 'club-like' with the beats and repeating the same sort of the same self importance, anger and ego that rappers I dislike do. There felt no evolution or progression throughout the album, almost like they were all written and mixed whilst in one mind set. I mean, MDBTF had this sense of indulgence, conflict, hedonism, fame, the desire of a normal life and presented it all in an almost heaven and hell contrast of it all. This just seemed one guy having an angry ego trip.

The samples are good and unusual, but seem a bit overused in each track, by that I mean they kind of grind at times. I like West trying to experiment, but I don't think all his alternative style always works.

It's a shame I haven't got more good to say.

3. DigitalAtlas Don't wake me from the dream.

I think it's really aggressive and accomplishes its mission in conveying that in every single song. It's not catchy, but it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to clash with everything we expected. Music promotion? Nope, just a vague tweet. Radio singles? Nope. It was meant to be savage and raw. It succeeded.

4. Barakon-King Traverse Town Homebody

Still great. I think it gets better with age definitely. I had been a fan of Death Grips for a while before it came out so the sound didn't really surprise me as much as it did average rap fans. Great album, Hold My Liquor and Send It Up are my favorites.

5. Ty Traverse Town Homebody

I know this thread is old, but this album deserves to be talked about more. Anyway, when it leaked, I didn't really like it at first. I was too used to the MBDTF-era Ye that it just threw me off so much. But, my girlfriend and I started listening to it a lot over the summer and ended up having a fun time quoting it and began to thoroughly enjoy the music.