Year round schools.

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Roxas&Sora4E, Jun 25, 2011.

?

Do you think they should bring back year-round schools?

1. Yes

21.1%
  2. No

52.6%
  3. It doesnt affect me so...

26.3%
  1. Roxas&Sora4E Traverse Town Homebody

I already know the answer everyone will say but, I still decided to post this.

When I lived in Las Vegas, I attended a year-round school. We didnt have summer vaction. We just had about 1-to-2 weeks off in mid-June or early July. It didnt really bother me but, I was used to it...

Do you guys think that year-rounded schools should be brought back?

2. HellKitten Kingdom Keeper

Well, considering the economy, no. My school is already taking off another extra month this year because we don't have enough money. We do have a month less of summer compared to other schools but it gets added back in during Christmas break. I guess if the economy was good for schools, it would all depend on how they use their extra days throughout the schoolyear.

3. Iskandar King of Conquerors

it doesn't matter to me anymore, since I stopped going to public school since the end of 4th grade, but I don't think so. Some schools already have year-round in other countries, and I'm betting even they have their problems

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Well, it depends how much they have to teach you. I know in some countries they go to school on Saturday for the morning but the rest of the week finish school at lunchtime. It seems to work, personally I prefer it the way it is, I like having all the work bunched up so I can have a long break during the summer- Infact, I'd rather have longer school days and more holiday.

5. Fearless A good and beautiful child

I think it really depends on where. Example, in my area, it would never work. Half the kids in my class are druggies who don't come to school half the time anyway (I have no idea how they passed), so there really wouldn't be much of a point.

Overall, though, I think it might be a good idea. It's proven that you lose a bunch of the stuff you learn in school over long breaks, so year round schools would prevent this. The way the economy is at the moment, most places wouldn't be able to afford it right now, but once/if things get better, it might be a good thing to try, at least in some places.

Then again, I'm also one of those people who thinks we should have uniforms, soyea. >_>

6. Arch Mana Knight

I'd say no. Though it really is a case-by-case basis. The quality of education is what should go up. Making school take up more days is entirely useless is the system itself is broken. I'm not too sure of how year-round schools work. Do they have the same hours as any other school? If so, then there's a mistake in that. >> If not, then it could be a good thing. I didn't go through a year-round process though I think with how my schedule has been, I might as well be now. Though I really shouldn't compare my college courses to lower level things. <<

Either way. I'm glad it doesn't affect me much anymore. College ftw. >>

7. Roxas&Sora4E Traverse Town Homebody

I see where everyone is coming with this.
    Thanks for the feedback! :D

8. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Actually, the way some schools in different states do it, I've heard that school year around can be proficient . They do nine weeks of school, then they have two weeks of break, nine weeks of school, two weeks of break. That actually sounds pretty nice.

But then again, depending on how much a teacher can actually fit into that time span, it could actually turn out to be a bad idea, so it's all in the practice, not the theory.

9. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Well, my school is what one mught call "Year round". We get 6 weeks holiday at Summer, 2 at Christmas, 2 in October and 2 at Easter. I like the system, but I always get a little jealous of kids who gwet like 3 months holiday :(.

10. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

My school can't afford it. Even if they could I say no. I like having three months off for summer, 2 weeks for Christmas, etc. We also have flex days which means if you passed all of your exams you get an extra day/week depending on when the flex day off but if you failed one or more it means you don't get those extra days/weeks off.

11. T3F Chaser

Ok, well, I attend a 'year round' school, and I've always been jealous of the people who get all summer off. Then again, I think in terms of education, the Year Round school thing is actually more practical. the longer your break, the lazier you are and the less likely you are to prepare for what's ahead. In saying that, I'm 4 days in to my July holidays, and I already cant be stuffed. I find Year Round schools better and easier to stay on task =)

12. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

benefits~~ well if you get 6 classes each day ,and with year round schools you might get shorter smother clasess

disavantages~~ no vacation ><

13. T3F Chaser

not NO vacation, just a spread out vacation =)

14. Roxas&Sora4E Traverse Town Homebody

Right you get pros and cons... No summer vaycay? :xp:

15. T3F Chaser

Well, our summer is around christmas time, so you can call our christmas break a summer vacation, I guess...but we have 2 week holidays in April, July and October, too.

16. Xamri Merlin's Housekeeper

As an adult it no longer effects me but to me year round school just doesn't sound good. I remember growing up I'd look forward to three months of spending time with my mom; being able to stay out late without her going "Well, you have school tomorrow. Should get back now." Not only that most kids still use this time for summer camps that I know of. Year round school means no more summer camps and yeah some suck but some are awesome. Do we want to give up so many potential great childhood memories just because we think another month in school might make a difference somehow? I love school or at least while I was in it I did and I still don't like the idea.

17. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i've done it before, it's actually not too bad as long as everyone else is doing the same. the downside is no 3 month summer vacation but if i remember correctly, you get a 2 week break every 2 months so you have a lot of vacation time.

18. T3F Chaser

PEOPLE WITH A 3 MONTH SUMMER VACATION: Is your only other break during Christmas? How long does that last???

19. Xamri Merlin's Housekeeper

There's the week long spring break and some holidays if things like Snow Days don't leave us crunched for days.

20. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

Christmas Break is two weeks, we get three days for easter, and that's all I can think of right off the top of my head.