Writer's Workshop

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Roxas, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Well, that depends.

Clothing for the most part is usually irrelevant. Describing clothing is important when it has a function that is more than just providing your reader with a picture of how they look. For example, is there a reason why your character wore the outfit they did? Does it add atmosphere and help shape your reader's perception of them? (ex. If a King or Queen enters a Royal Hall, describing the extravagent outfit they're wearing helps the reader identify their status as one of prestige).

Details are very important, naturally, but what details you should consider investigating all depends on what it does for your character or the scene you're trying to unfold. Details are meant to enrich an idea or thought you're trying to get across, so one should always consider what is and isn't important to mention. Sometimes, less detail is much more powerful in the sense that a lot of significance can be left to implication--which if directed properly, can leave a much more meaningful impact.

2. Destined Working for WDW

I am a fan of details, it paints the picture for the reader and depending on your level of writing, you can incorporate subtle hints that will ultimately lead to progressing the story.

I think that taking an entire page or more to describe clothing....is a bit much, unless it is extremely important to the overall story. If a character has weapons that he must conceal, then the narrator can choose to explain the holster or not. Either way, I don't provide details unless it is important to the story

3. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

I have one small tip for people that like to write dramatic fiction. In the right place, simple sentences can help with description.
    EG: "She snapped her fingers. Two Creeper Nobodies appeared."
    The simplicity of that quote. really helped my story, at least in my opinion. For those that follow this advice, don't overdo it. Anything in large enough amounts can ruin a story.
    I also have a small question.
    Can someone help me reword this sentence?
    "The floor shattered. Name1 and Name2 fell, as Name2 laughed the whole time."
    You didn't think I would reveal who it was about, did you?

4. Soushirei 運命の欠片

1. Prelude? You mean like a Prologue? If so, there is no real set length. They're usually short because they don't usually investigate the story in its complete entirety, and what you want to get across in the prologue is up to the writer. My prologues always differ depending on the genre I'm working with and on what the story is about. Sometimes I'll just write about the main character, talking about their life, their thoughts, ambitions, etc. This are usually shorter and don't take up more than 1-2 pages (on standard size 12 font). Other times, I'll open the prologue with an action-scene that the readers will remain completely oblivious to as to the meaning of it, but only because I want them to focus entirely on the raw emotion behind the scene, rather than clutter their minds with unnecessary background that I don't want them to know yet. It's really up to you how long you want to make them. What's important is that prologues are meant to introduce readers to an important theme in your story, so write enough so you can get this theme across, but not so much that you begin giving away certain plot points away.

2:

5. KeybladeSpirit [ENvTuber] [pngTuber]

Okay, I finished it. I didn't rewrite it like you did, but I did add a bit more description on what happenes to Name2.
    Here it is if you want to read it through.
    Kairi and Xion

6. Sexy Sheva Banned

Sorry for the bump guys, but i'm working on a novel, and I'm trying to start out with a mystery... idk if i've explained enough, but I wanna post my beginning and see if anyone has any questions about it, that i should've mentioned, other than why this guy has (don't read until you read the beginning below <3 )
    thrown her off the building

7. Dark_dragon_heartless Traverse Town Homebody

I have a few ideas for a story, I can write pretty well.. I think.. I'd like to give you an example but it's hard to know where to start... nobody has ever read any of my stuff yet 0.o and I don't want to post a giant reply...

8. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't think posting a giant reply will be a problem (mods, correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to post a sample of your writing, I say go for it! Criticism is the best thing for a growing writer, and putting your writing out there for people to read over is the first step.

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Another thing you can do if you don't want a huge reply in here is to make a thread with your story and then post a link in here asking for constructive criticism

10. Xeitr The False Image Gummi Ship Junkie