Working on It Writer's Nook: Move Original Works to the Main Area, Fanfics to a Subsection

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Ars Nova, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I've run this by a handful of people, including frequent posters and mods invested in the section, and the word seems to be unanimous: No one's really sure why fanfics are up front and original stories are tucked away in a corner. So maybe they should switch places? This would also push the events in the section, PotS and PanS, to the front so that they get more exposure.

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I'm getting behind this idea, too. The potential to boost PotS and PanS and stuff didn't even occur to me with this, and that would be a pretty big plus. And as cool as fanfic can be, I'd like to see a bigger focus on original work as well. After all, where would fanfic be without original content to base it off of?

...heh :3

3. Misty gimme kiss

The explanation for why it's that way is, traditionally/historically, we've had more fanfiction than original works here. I like the idea of featuring original works more prominently, but would y'all rather do this with prefixes? I find segmenting things into subsections means just another click to get to the content -- which is justified in some cases, but prefixes are an option to consider as well.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

I vote for prefixes as well.

5. Plums Wakanda Forever

I'm not too sure on going for prefixes. It would be nice and keep all the works in one section, but there's a lot of potential prefixes for original (is it a story/poem/book/etc) that having them + the current ones for fanfics could end up being a little overwhelming.

6. Misty gimme kiss

that's true, didn't think of that

7. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I like the idea. Fanfiction was booming back in the day but now it's slowed down a bit. I think this is a great idea. As @Plums said, adding prefixes to join the two sections together wouldn't work over to well. I'm all for this idea.

-Periwinkle

8. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

That works too.

We could always lump all the fanfics under one prefix, but yeah that does present a snag. Honestly I'm all for them being in the same section either way because imo they both deserve the respect and exposure; I just don't know what would be the best way to consolidate them personally.

9. Jayn

{I found an add-on that would be useful for this and in other areas of the forum. It allows for a thread to have two prefixes which is neat.

It's paid, but it's only $10 so if any of you want to donate [ underneath the affiliations section on the right].

Without that option we can either go the switching forums way to put original content first or just have fanfiction be it's own prefix. }

10. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

11. Plums Wakanda Forever

Hadn't responded yet since I was thinking of a way to do this. If we have an 'Original' and 'Fanfiction' prefix along other specific ones (e.g. KH, Movies, Play, etc.), then yeah, I think it could work. This way people can choose to see all of the original stuff/fanfiction, or specifically stories/poems/etc.

Everyone else likely figured this out before I did and I am slow on the roll, BUT HERE I AM NOW I THINK WE GUD. Would like to see what other people think, but yer.

12. Misty gimme kiss

I think just distinguishing between Original Works / Fanfiction is specific enough, though that add-on is so cheap (and from a very reputable developer) that I don't mind snagging it for this. I'm sure it'd come in handy for other sections as well.

13. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I like the idea of having multiple prefixes. If you're willing to foot the bill dude then it sounds like a great addition for the site.

-Periwinkle

14. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Sounds good to me~