Would you attend a World Religious Class?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Repliku, Jul 9, 2008.

?

Would you consider taking a world religious class in High School?

1. Hell no, it is against my religion to study other religions.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. No because I'm just not interested in it.

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Maybe, it depends on how it is presented.

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Yes, I have an interest to understand other cultures and beliefs and learn more on my own religion.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hakurei Reimu Take my hand. And then I'll fly with you right up

It wouldn't hurt to no more I guess.

So yea, I'll go for it.

2. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

I completely get what you're saying. I understand that a lot of the fundamentalist religions preach their own superiority and that you shouldn't learn about other religions or cultures, but most moderate religions don't. Not to mention that your original post made you sound like you were on some logical pedestal.

Also, I don't know anyone who would say to someone of a different faith that they are going to hell. That's just flat out rude and I don't think anyone would ever say that unless they are real die hard fundamentalists. While some rather ignorant people may think it, most people would never actually say it. So unless someone on this site has personally attacked you, please keep the rather offensive bashing to yourself. I'm not trying to sound offensive (though I probably do), but it's really not fair to us theists on the site.

3. Repliku Chaser

Sadly people who are very fanatically religious have attacked others on this site for beliefs and said some pretty rotten things. Of course, many of them were banned or left the discussion area after warnings. Also, you have to understand that people -do- get treated very poorly for not being of a certain religion. When the President of the U.S. says that Atheists should not be considered true citizens of the U.S...there's a problem. There is also a hideous uprising of Evangelical 'born again' sorts that are doing things like Jesus Camps (i.e. the Ted Haggard sort, not Christian summer camps in general) and Bush has had advice from these people. All through school I remember getting harassed because I didn't buy into what my mother was forcing me to follow and it caused strain at home and it does hurt for other kids to tell you that you are going to Hell because you don't believe. These are -real- things that happen to those who are considered 'outsiders'.

So yes, Bunterx is being adamant against certain things, but at the same time, understand that hatred stems from theists abusing others for many many years. When even Christian groups and Islamic groups war over what is the true religion and murder or banish those who aren't a part of their scheme of things, ostracize them or say things like they are 2nd class citizens and store people of different beliefs in areas that are very poor, there is a problem to pay attention to. Religion by fundies has sank down to some crimes they do as being 'accepted' by followers who are not so mean or judgmental. This is one of the reasons I think though a class like this would be good. It makes it so fanatical devotees of ANY religion or lack there of a religion do not have the super influence on people who simply just want to have their own core beliefs whether it's Christianity, Islam, Atheism, Agnostic, Buddhist, Wiccan, Hindu or whatever else out there. The hate does need to stop and integration and acceptance of different cultures seems paramount to me to make prejudice stop. The only way to stop prejudice is to bring in that cultural mix we have and teach tolerance and understanding and to use logic against superimposed idiocy and flawed opinion.

I hope that makes sense because yes, hatred is a very living thing preached to students in droves now and adults have a lot of bias that they carry with them. I could tell horror stories of my experience with fanatical religious nuts. The sad thing is the regular folks aren't -stopping- them and they get protected too much. However, I really didn't open this to 'debate' religion in itself. I wanted to know the thoughts of you guys on whether you would be interested in attending something were it an option at your schools and what reasons you would or not. I wanted to know if I was alone really on thinking that the best way to help get over the religious hump and bias people have as well as give kids more freedom and rights to be who they want, was a religious class like I have taken in college. The class was -very- refreshing to me and we had people of all faiths or lack there of in there and it was so open and really rather peaceful. We all walked out of the class feeling we had learned a lot. So, if you guys could, let's not 'fight' about religion and bash each other. It kind of refutes the point of the question....or to me, proves why such a thing could be beneficial.

4. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I would love to take a world religions class. I kinda already took one in 10th grade (world history), we talked about 10+ major religions, which isn't much, but I kinda know some of them.

But if there was a religious class where we learned about many religions in their entirity I would definitely take it. It does depend on how it is presented too, I guess.

5. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

of course. I may not practice all the religions im told, but I like understanding things. I like taking things apart and analyzing them/understanding how they work. The fourth option completely encompasses my reasoning though.

6. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Well, in my country, it is a requirement to take World Religion classes and learn about different cultures, and I'm talking about elementary school here. Despite being raised a Muslim child, I attended a Christian girl's school for 5 years [from pre-school to third grade], before I'd come to the U.S.. I can honestly say that my country is quite peaceful and tolerant when it comes to the mingling of different religions, makes me a little proud I suppose. I specifically remember that twice every week, we had one hour dedicated to learn about different religions, then after that lesson, we'd all split and have the second hour dedicated to learn about our own religion, and mind you this WAS and still IS a Christian school. The school was from pre-school to twelfth grade, and the classes were a requirement and necessity in EVERY grade.

During those years, I had always enjoyed the lessons and found the stories and history to be rather amusing and entertaining. I really did love the classes then, and even today I do not mind learning about new religions. I still sit in class with a huge smile on my face every time the teacher announces that today we'd be learning about so and so religion. I love the wide variety of perspective and knowledge I receive in learning such things. I want to have a wide range of knowledge about people and understand the similar differences we all share. It's intriguing, is it not? If my school was to offer such classes, I'd not waste a second before signing up for them. Just like one enjoys leaning about biology, literature, history, or mythology, I enjoy learning about the difference in faith, and many unique ways in which people believe in our creation, God, and Goddesses.

I respect every religion out there, even if I'm not religious myself. I want the knowledge so I can have a better understanding of what they believe and so I can also respect them in the best and proper way possible. It's a matter of co-existence, if you think about it.

7. Mithril Sora Banned

......yo

I study World Religions on my own already. I'd love a class like that(!), although I'm already something of an expert as is.

8. Serbkiller Destiny Islands Resident

I'm interested in other ones religion since the 3rd grade (My friend was a Buddist and his family too). Being raise as secular Muslim was a good experience and when I went to college my world was changing and I decided to give less attention to other persons religion and focus more on my religion. I think I would intend a World Religion class only if it's interesting.

9. Repliku Chaser

It's very interesting to see the responses and that most people who have voted would actually like something like this to be offered, or are already taking classes like that. Only 1 actually said no, because it would be against his/her religion and 6 said no because it's not their thing.

Now if only some places would see that people actually do care about this sort of thing and well, knowledge could kill a lot of ignorance, maybe things would change. Thanks for voting and giving me feedback. I love your responses (except for khsuperfan who won't get a clue and keeps coming back) and like to see opinions regarding topics like this which cause some people to go 'oh hell no' while others differ. Much appreciated. :)

10. yellowbird91 Merlin's Housekeeper

yes i would love to learn about other cultures and stuff

11. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

Nope. Religion isn't something I'm interested/care in. Much.

12. P Banned

Well the answer is probably yes, as I would really enjoy learning about this type of thing.

Can you please explain a bit about these classes? Do you learn about other religeons as in you brush over them with Wikipedia thin knowledge? Do you discuss the history? (I mean the origins of the religeon)

A bit more information about what I am signing up to would be nice.

13. Absol Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm not religious, but it would be interesting to learn about them. So yeah, it would be pretty cool.

14. Mixt The dude that does the thing

My church offered a World Religions Class which I took but it was obviously entirely biased. I really didn't learn much about other religions (maybe because the church feared that going more than skin deep would mean conversions) but it also failed to teach how others saw Christianity. So even though I have taken a class there is still a lot of holes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.