Worst book you've ever had to read as an assignment

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gwen, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Phazeun Traverse Town Homebody

When I was in 7th grade, I had to read The Outsiders. Didn't like it as much as others.

2. Always Dance Chaser

The Great Gatsby.
    I mean, seriously, I love literature. I loved Great Expectations, I love Shakespeare, and I loved almost every book I had to read for English.
    But the Great Gatsby was the most boring thing I've ever had to read. It was DREADFUL.

3. Roxas~N~Namine Traverse Town Homebody

i had to read the sign of the chrisanthumem (?)
    it was th e single most boring book i've ever read.

4. Rosey Chaser

Okay that book made no sense.

It was pointless.

I got to the end and I was like whattttt theeeeee fawwwkkkk?

Bless Me Ultima was pretty bad >_<

5. Nathaniel Twilight Town Denizen

'Biedermann und die Brandstifter' (The fire raisers) by Max Frisch. I can honestly say that Frisch has the driest, most boring, unimaginative and repetitive writing style I've ever had the misfortune to read. Just do youselves a favour and keep away from this book. It will gouge your eyes out and eat them with ink.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

There are only a few kind of books that make me . . . angry. I do not like to read most nonfiction, doesn't peak my interest. And the one book I wouldn't read past page four was The Kite Runner. I could not stand that book, even though it was fiction based on a possible reality. I love most, to all fiction books but I could not get into that book at all. Please don't take offense to this but that was the worst *even worse than the dreaded shakespeare books, which I like most of them, it's just the way they should be acted out not read (I really honestly wanted to act out Julius Caesar)* book I have ever had to read as an assignment, which quite honestly I don't know if it can count as me reading it, I only got to page 4. Sorry to anyone who really loves that book, but this is just my opinion.

7. ButcherKnifeBetty Merlin's Housekeeper

A Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthrone :confused:
    I had to read this book for my English class .....it was the most boring book ever!!! I never even finished reading it n i tried i really did. its the only book Ive never finished it was just so tedious n it went on and on. the plot itself was interesting but the way it was written was just terrible, at least i thought it was.

8. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Pretty much any Shakespeare story not called 'Hamlet'. I seriously don't see what was so good about Shakespeare :/

9. Loriah Banned

The Hobbit. It was so boring that I fell asleep in class while the teacher was still reading. X3

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

For me, it was the Scarlet Letter. I think, for most people, the fact that you have to read it for school is what makes it something boring and unbearable. I'd been meaning to pick up Hawthrone's book again in the future and read it just for fun.

11. Mysty Unknown

The Great Gatsby. I was assigned it 2 years ago. That book. That was just awful. If someone were to give me this and it was the first book I ever read, I would hate literature for the rest of my life. The plot is just dreadful.

12. Plums Wakanda Forever

The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye.

Gatsby's narrator was dull. He failed to draw me in the events unfolding around him, and certainly made no efforts to interest me in how he himself saw the world at all. It was pretty torturous having to suck it up and make it to the end of a story you didn't have much of a stake in.

As for Catcher in the Rye, I basically hated Holden. :v

13. KHRocker8495 Destiny Islands Resident

To Kill A Mockingbird.

I like the plot but, there was so much filler in the thing it got so sickening, I hated it! I've read three times and Each time it got worse. I'll pass and read the fan fics on here. :)

14. Aelin Best Waifu

I would have to.say 'Of Nice and Men' it is one of the most boring books I ever.read and I was struggling to actually pay enough attention to it when I was reading it to do the assignments after.

15. Cherry Berry Chaser

Oh thank god... I thought I was the only one who thought Gatsby was a dull book to do an assignment on. I swear to god, that Nick is so... So...

Contradictory? Lacklustre? I just... He gives me the impression that he's always speaking in this monotonous tone about shιt that happens in his day to day life. The only exciting thing about anything is Gatsby himself. Is it wrong to think that Nick fancied the pants off Gatsby, but the way he portrayed the dreamy Gatsby as opposed to his stupid dull reality made him sound just αnal?

Either way, I started enjoying the book and all it's complexities more once I stopped having to worry about it as an assignment. I did read back on it in my spare time, and found it to be more interesting when I don't have the drone of my teacher's voice lulling in the backspace of my mind.

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The Great Gatsby was unbearably dull. I only read ahead in hopes that it would get better, and when I realized there was no hope, only to get it over with as soon as possible.

I see people saying they didn't like The Outsiders, which never fails to surprise me, as it's one of my favorite books of all time. I'm in awe of it every time I read it.

17. jafar custom title

Beowulf, The Great Gatsby, and anything by Shakespeare.

18. Jin うごかないで

hmm i'd need to say storm catchers or stone cold (i think its called stone cold its about a teenager who runs away from home due tohis mothers boyfriend or some horrible reason that involves pure arrogance and he goes to london thinking he'll get a job and make himself a living thoughit turns horribly wrong and he ends up having no home or money and there is an old ex army member hell bent on purging london of hobos) was both a horrible plot and was poorly written for me

19. 61 No. B

Mayor of Casterbridge

Heart of Darkness

20. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

When I was in 9th grade, I had to read The Great Gatsby, I hated far more than any other story I had read, and thats saying something