Worst book you've ever had to read as an assignment

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gwen, Dec 31, 2007.

1. krayzie Lionhart

A Separate Peace
    in a way its a book about 2 gay kids falling in love with each other and one dies
    at least thats how the class saw it

2. Clear_so_you_can't_See Traverse Town Homebody

Agreed but to some extent( a very minuscule extent) it was interesting.

Mine would be the Iliad by Homer lots of battle scenes(which were described in the most boring way), mama's boys, and jerks. The worst part is all the characters that are actually interesting either play little to no part or die. And Achilles just turns out to be a giant jerk. The whole story is about a jerk's quest for glory a.k.a NO FUN!

3. Misty gimme kiss

OH MY GOD THIS BOOK! xD I made so many gay jokes, lmao. Like that one scene where Gene examines that one kid's buttocks? Oh lord. This book has such a sexually repressed undertone to it that I sometimes want to read it again just for laughs.

I recently had to read Night by Elie Wiesel. I get it, the Holocaust was a really horrible thing and some parts of it were interesting, but it really seemed to just drag on and on. :/

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

...No.
    That book was great.

For my English course, we're going to read "Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity."
    Haven't started reading it yet, but by the looks of it...it's going to suck.
    It is an extremely difficult read.

5. kingdom_hearts_soras_girl Destiny Islands Resident

The Giver by Lois Lowry.im still reading it in class but so far its really boring.plus we have to highlight every word that we wouldn't normally capitalize in the middle of a sentence,all the characters,vocab words(thats easy and mainly assigned for homework), all the settings,all the conflicts,rules/rituals in their utopian socity,any numbers,and the sentances that are in all CAPS.i spend most of my time highlighting and writing all over in my book.plus there might not be a movie for it!

6. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

There is something wrong with you. If you don't love the book by the end, you have issues.

7. Misty gimme kiss

You do realize that this book is an allegory (for the Russian Revolution, I believe? I never read it), right?

8. Amethyst Grave Hollow Bastion Committee

Merchant of Venice by Shakespear...

GOD that was annoying -.-

2 others and I were the only ones in the class who actually understood it so we kept having to go back and reading over the chapters very slowly so the rest of the class could catch up and after a while it just became irritating...

9. Shanny-Boo Traverse Town Homebody

Get used to the highlighting and writing, in all my high school English classes (granted, I've been in Honors and now Pre-AP) I have had to extensively annotate my books. Yes, it is a pain, but it proves very useful in writing papers because you know where all the evidence to back your thesis is.

Plus, I think The Giver is great. It shows all the problems that would exist in a society of forced equality (you could say communism, to an extent)... a world with no freedom. It shows the blunt truth: no kind of government or economic system can be pleasing to all or have no cons to it. It's like a watered-down 1984, so middle schoolers can read it, but it's still wonderful and has a great message. There are also probably other books I saw listed here that I'll disagree with hating (I think I saw To Kill A Mockingbird listed? djhfajsdfhajk I LOVED THAT BOOK) but I'm sure the same can be said for mine, so I'll stop rambling. xD

Worst book I have ever read... Hm. It's a tie between The Turn of the Screw and Slaughterhouse Five. I love mystery and horror stories, especially psychological ones but The Turn of the Screw just dragged. D| Slaughterhouse Five was just... I don't know. It was just... creepy. I usually like creepy. But it was such a bizarre, graphic creepy dhfajkdhj OTL

10. shurik Destiny Islands Resident

On twilight beach , listning to the waves
    sing down the moon
    cathrine called burdy

worst books ever

11. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Two words: Ethan Frome.

Okay, the descriptive writing is good but the story is utter twaddle! I mean come on, it isn't even relevant in today's society, why my english teacher chose it I have no idea. If you can sit through this book and not be bored and not see every plot twist coming then there's something wrong with you. Then we watched the movie wich has the worst acting I've ever seen Liam Neeson doing in it. I hated it.

12. SORA! Gummi Ship Junkie

Cal, by Bernar Mc Laverty

3 times i had to write a essay on it! 3! its soooo boring! set in Ireland (I love the Irish) in the time of the 'troubles' i mean only one guy can be so unlucky!

13. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I hate Bernard MacLaverty. Have you read his short story "Father and Son"? I hated it. Funilly enough, it was the same english teacher who set us "Ethan Frome" that made us read that. Anyone see a pattern here?

14. linna Merlin's Housekeeper

Great Expectations. No one likes a stupid narrator who makes horrible choices ALL of the time. Though after being forced to read and annotate the irony was probably the only "enjoyable" part.

15. K u r o g a n e Traverse Town Homebody

The Sun Also Rises - - Hemingway.

-Sighs-​

16. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

The diary of Anne Frank. I'm sorry if thats any offense but i'd rather research other victims or read a different story, my teacher purposely chose Anne frank because he was a Jew(no offense!). that was unbelievable how they treated those people. this debate goes on and on but it's enough to sayy although it's sad the class shoulda done a vote....it gave me nightmares literally......

17. Mr. Van Whippy ♥ Biscuits and cookies

Samuel Beckett's "The Endgame".

Most WTF? play i've had to read for an assignment this far. It's not bad theatre of absurd is so so absurd XDD You get tired after reading a few pages.

18. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

That's the point.

19. Sara Tea Drinker

I would either say: "A Tale of Two Cities" Which I fell asleep reading. Or "The Scarlet Letter" Which I still don't get.

20. Cicada Killer Destiny Islands Resident

I agree with the 'Tale of Two Cities', it also made me annoyed my teacher flicked the lights off and on on the first day, but mainly that... It was just boring for me, ugh, otherwise maybe the book known as 'Body of Christoper Creed' But that could be it wasn't a mystery book of my taste... Also I didn't like the main character at all.