Worst book you've ever had to read as an assignment

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gwen, Dec 31, 2007.

1. HarleenCue Merlin's Housekeeper

Really? I found it actually rather enjoyable. After the first page or two, I felt the language was much easier to follow, and I think Satan's point of view was very interesting. One almost pities him in the beginning.

Anyway, worst book I've ever had the displeasure of reading was The Red Badge of Courage. I'm not saying the writing was bad, I was just so uninterested in the material. The symbolism kept me slightly encouraged throughout the tedious task of reading it.

2. Spaze Gummi Ship Junkie

I really like his stories. ;^; But they are creepy. >.>

Worst book for assigment would have to be...Tuck Everlasting. It was weird and I didn't like the movie either.

3. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

Okay, I've changed mine

Lord of the Flies sucked big time, the Simpsons version was way better.

4. Stardust Chaser

I loved the Lord of the Flies. >:

But my least favorite book I've had to read as an assignment would either have to be The Slave Dancer or The Catcher in the Rye. The former because I was just in fifth grade and it was twisted and it sucked, and the latter because... That book was boring. >>

EDIT:
    ALSO
    ANIMAL FARM
    ANIMAL FARM ANIMAL FARM ANIMAL FARM.
    I HATED IT.
    IT WAS AJHFKSDJHFLAJKSDHFLJK.

And that's it, really.

5. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

-groan- ...... Twilight..... -dies-

6. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Good god, you had to read Twilight? As part of the curriculum? Jesus, what is this world coming to?

Anyway, I've pretty much liked every book I've read for an assignment, and I like all the books that everyone's mentioned, so yeah.

7. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

Are you serious?

I totally feel sorry for you. That has to be the worst corriculum topic ever.

What was the assignment about?

8. Misty gimme kiss

Last year I had to read a book called A Seperate Peace. It's about some all boys' boarding school during WWII, and my god, as if the setting wasn't sexually frustrated enough, there had to be such strong homo-undertones that I couldn't help but hope that the two main characters would end up together. But all they did was play sports and stuff.

For History this year we had to read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich which was really slow and dull so I didn't read all of it. That's the first time I just didn't read a school book, so that gets a spot too. I did like the ending though (sparknotes!).

9. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I read that. I liked it. It's weird, but whenever my classmates have to read something, they end up hating it. I probably have a better imagination or something.

10. YukiSaxor Destiny Islands Resident

I have that book...It was hard for me to even read a page...<.<
    I don't think I ever had a book that I didn't like and I read it. Cause for all of the assignments where you choose the book, I hadn't choosen a bad one yet. As for the books the teacher assign you, I haven't read one that I hated.

But The Giver....
    That was one Odd book..
    I had to read that in 7th grade.

I couldn't wait until the book ended and when the book did end. It was like...WTF? Did they just go into a circle or somethin?

11. anotheraxelfangirl Destiny Islands Resident

Things Fall Apart by Chinea Achebe (or something like that). *bangs head against wall*

12. gaveZexionmyHeart Merlin's Housekeeper

"Maniac Magee" I have never re-read a book so many times in my LIFE! I had to read it almost every year in Elementry school, and last year...**** I almost shot my teacher for making me read it AGAIN

13. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah, I liked that book, but it was reread way too many times in grade school, like they thought it was the best book ever written or something.

14. Renna Delight Merlin's Housekeeper

I was only forced to read one book in my entire time during school.
    The Hiding Place.
    Lovely writing, powerful stuff, but just not my cup of tea. I was bored for the most part, and when I'm bored I read slower which makes me even more bored. It was filled with a lot of extra details that I really couldn't connect with what it had to do with the main point of the story.
    My sisters find me weird for not liking it, I guess I'm more of a fictional person.

15. PurpleDiamond Merlin's Housekeeper

The worst class assignment book I ever read was "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick x_x.. We spent two months of English class in grade 9 reading it and doing huge essays about it.. That book was so boring, we had to watch the movie about it after we were done reading and I didn't even like it that much =P.. Maybe I didn't like this novel though because I'm a sci-fi freak and this was more of a story that could actually happen in real life >.>.. Anyways it was hard to read because I wanted to sleep; I had to read it though since I wanted a good mark on the assignment XD

16. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Heh.

I'm doing a group guided reading lesson with a few students in my field study school using this book. We just finished Frindle, and I usually let them pick what they want to read as a group next, and this was it.

17. Roxas is Hot I'd lick his Sea Salt stick anytime. ♥

Beowulf is so taking the cake right now. I can't read half of a freakin' line without falling asleep.

18. axelsoraroxasfan103 Merlin's Housekeeper

Twilight Town, eating Sea Salt Ice Cream. :3
    I have to say Brave New World, that wasn't one of my favorites sure, it was lengthy and it told a story but I don't know, I just didn't like it. It didn't interest me despite the issue the author was conveying/predicting (or as so explained in my English class) but eithier way, I just didn't like it. It was messed up (imo) in some ways. I mean I liked some of the symbolism and the fact it had John read Shakespeare but honestly I could careless and skipped this book and read 1984 instead. :(

19. bobo.the.nut Traverse Town Homebody

We had to read the Lightening Thief sixth AND seventh grade.. Some people liked it, but it really wasn't my type of book; it reminded me too much of Harry Potter and the writing was quite simplistic for "advanced reading". And, I mean, twice. xP

20. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

The Old Man and the Sea. The most boring book I've ever read. The English techers at my school don't seem to understand that books have been written SINCE 1950's.