Word of the Day

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Amaury, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/12/2013: Propensity

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Cat has a propensity for making fun of Ienzo.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/13/2013: Officious

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Ienzo's staff personality is by no means officious.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/14/2013: Opprobrious

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Forsaken's choice to cheat off Mish's final exam was opprobrious.

4. Plums Wakanda Forever

disappointing, forsaken. you will be hearing from the principal about this.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, so the sites that I use for this and Quote of the Day run on Eastern time, I believe, and usually I don't make this mistake, but I was in a hurry last night because I was getting my projects late and accidentally used today's word of the day yesterday, so I will be using yesterday's word of the day for today.

11/15/2013: Sentient

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Plums is the go-to person for help because he's sentient.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/16/2013: Credulous

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Hatok is too credulous when it comes to hearing about Kingdom Hearts IV.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/17/2013: Abrogate

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Misty would wish to abrogate the speed limit laws.

8. Amaury Legendary Hero

11/18/2013: Egress

Ienzo's Sentence Challenge: Misty made it painfully clear to Plums that the egress policies for administrators are extremely harsh for him and him alone.

Credit for this sentence goes to user Nights.

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

It looks as if this project is done.

It looks like the site has a preset word for each day, whereas I thought it had a varying word each day, but I guess not. For example, December 1, 2013 will be the same as December 1, 2012.

Saturday, November 16, 2013 through yesterday, November 18, 2013 are duplicates, but I won't delete them because I've already used the words in sentences.

If the site for the daily quotes works the same, the last day will be December 1.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

As you guys know, I stopped this because the words don't randomize each year and are always the same. However, @Senpai has expressed interest in resuming this, so I am transferring the project over to her. She will have to use a different source, of course, since everything on WordThink has already been posted here.

11. Shuhbooty moon child

Thank you for letting me continue this! :3

My source is dictionary.com and reference.com, it started with just a simple app and its grown very well if I do say so myself. If you have a difference reference please don't hesitate to inform me. ~

Today's word is: 3/26/2014

Coxcomb (noun) - a conceited, foolish dandy; pretentious fop.

Sentence:
    Her coxcomb of tough, spikey hair shivered as she launched into a torrent of accusation.

Quote: by Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You would compliment a coxcomb doing a good act, but you would not praise an angel. The silence that accepts merit as the most natural thing in the world, is the highest applause."[DOUBLEPOST=1395923831][/DOUBLEPOST]3/27/2014

Plash - a gentle splash; a pool or puddle

Sentence: When you bathe a puppy, you must plash them and rub little soap on their bodies.

Quote: "The plash of the fountain fell on his earsand charmed them. "
    -- Brander Matthews, Studies in LocalColor , 1898

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. Shuhbooty moon child

Hey guys! Sorry for the late updates (even though this thread is dead LOL but yeah. I don't like coming back to edit my posts I'd rater bump the thread so here I go).

3/28/14

Catharsis: the purging of the emotions or relieving of emotional tensions

Sentence: Large segments of the news seem calculated to facilitate the catharsis of our built-up resentment

Quote:

" Then they argued about whether the sensation of catharsis in the writer himself could be a test of the work. "
    -- Walter Van Tilburg Clark, The City of Trembling Leaves , 1945

" It was such a catharsis , such a coming to terms, such a reward. It was proof that I was right…
    -- George Carlin, Last Words , 2009 "

3/29/14
    Hippophile: one who loves horses.

Sentence: Someone who loves horses is known as a hippophile. ((lazyyyyyy <----- also hard to use in a sentence xD))

Quote:
    "Hippophiles could be temperamental. Monsieur Poitevin had noticed this. Horses themselves werestubborn and impulsive and, over time, an exchange of character could occur between rider andmount.
    -- Julia O'Faolain, The Judas Cloth , 1992 "

3/30/14

Panacea: a remedy for all diseases; a cure-all.

Sentence: ? D:

Quote:
    " But for the sake of this wonderful panacea —English humour— the English sacrifice so much.
    -- Wyndham Lewis, Tarr , 1918 "

3/31/14

xylography: the art of engraving on wood, or of printing from such engravings.

Sentence:

Quote:
    "Widespread dissemination of these works of art became possible after the invention of xylography , orwoodblock printing, generally credited to Hishikawa Moronobu (1618–94) who was born in Boshu,Chiba. "